RBN DLC for 09/22 + New RBNStuff features

atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Yes, RBNStuff is back with a fully functioning, up-to-date website. We've added a feature that will need help from the community, though.

On the upcoming songs page on RBNStuff.com, we've added ratings to the side. These ratings take into consideration many aspects of a song. Not just how good it sounds. Also, it is not genre-dependent. While I know most people here are tired of metal, metal songs will be rated as they are: metal songs. (just an example)

Ratings on RBNStuff's upcoming songs page will be HEAVILY effected by community input (either on these threads or on the RBNStuff forums, probably mostly on these threads). So if you've downloaded and played any of these songs (or know any problems with them), let me know on here and I'll take it into consideration.

This will allow those browsing songs to see the list as more than just a list of songs, but a list that has a correlation between quality songs and noticeability. I'm hoping that this encourages authoring groups to put up preview videos, as songs w/o preview videos will most likely be not rated upon release.

Anyways, here is the up-to-date list of songs that should be available next Thursday: rbnstuff.com/music/upcoming

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Why can't people just look at DLCQuickplay's user-input star ratings? Seems like a much friendlier/less subjective way to rate a song.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4501625 said:
    Why can't people just look at DLCQuickplay's user-input star ratings? Seems like a much friendlier/less subjective way to rate a song.
    Can't rate songs on there until they hit the store.

Ratings don't do anything for me, I never even look at charts anymore. If I like the song I buy, if not, I don't.

"End of My Rope" is awesome on drums. Nice to see more relatively unknown bands I'm actually familiar with.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4501625 said:

Well, these aren't to show which songs are the most popular. For example, a really good metal song would have a hard time getting a higher rating than a standard Ziltoid song (just an example)

These ratings are just to separate songs that stand out from songs that are more or less the same as everything else. Uniqueness, good charts, whatever.
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    I'm also hearing that those 3 Black Veil Bride songs are scheduled for the 9/22 update if you want to put those in this weeks itinerary.
    edited September 2011
    Which ones? Do they have purchase links yet?
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    There is a purchase link for "Heavens Calling" on RBN Releases but for some odd reason "Children Surrender" and "Perfect Weapon" links dont exist anymore on RBN Releases. At least I dont see them. Anyhow, I got the info from The Authority Inc authoring groups youtube page regarding them finally being released this Thursday after the links being available for several weeks.
    edited September 2011
    We got a fantastic track by Halcyon Way called "Mouth Without a Head". Whether or not you are interested in buying it on RB3, it's a good listen in and of itself.

full list: http://rbnstuff.com/music/upcoming
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4502015 said:
    We got a fantastic track by Halcyon Way called "Mouth Without a Head". Whether or not you are interested in buying it on RB3, it's a good listen in and of itself.

full list: http://rbnstuff.com/music/upcoming
    That does sound good.

BTW, I do warn against rating charts based off of the video. There's a few songs I've found are more fun than the video suggests (or less fun in some cases).
    edited September 2011
    Bront20;4502472 said:
    That does sound good.

BTW, I do warn against rating charts based off of the video. There's a few songs I've found are more fun than the video suggests (or less fun in some cases).

That's why community reviews from people who have played the song will have a significant effect on the website's rating. I can't download all of them.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2011
    Sorry if I'm asking a stupid or old or irrelevant question, but I was wondering...
    Why isn't That Authoring Group in your list of authors? Aren't they authors too... ;_;
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited September 2011
    The Rotting Christ track looks awesome. I especially love the part at 3:30 on guitar.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    Please, remove the rating system, because I could not disagree more with them.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503104 said:
    Please, remove the rating system, because I could not disagree more with them.
    It's his site, why should he remove it because YOU don't like them? Hell if you had your way 95% of the tracks would have a 1.
    edited September 2011
    kingtonyx;4503106 said:
    It's his site, why should he remove it because YOU don't like them? Hell if you had your way 95% of the tracks would have a 1.

The reason I took offense is because the way it's being represented, it's almost like he's shoving their opinions down our throats.

And even if he's going to rate, at least be descriptive to why the rating.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Any words on new Free Spirit tracks? I know they are in the pipeline, just thought we might see a new one this week.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503109 said:
    ... it's almost like he's shoving their opinions down our throats.

He gives a number/10. And done.

I'm not seeing the problem.
    edited September 2011
    A few things about the rating system:

- I never rate below a 5 or above an 8. Any ratings past those will have to be done by community response (for example, if I make something an 8 because it's got good charts, good playability, and nothing that would make it a bad RB track, and you guys all go "THIS SONG IS FRIGGIN AMAZING", I'll probably bump it to a 9 or 10. If I make something a 5 or 6 because there are things wrong with it, and you guys go "Wow, this has a terrible chart", I'll probably bump it to a 3 or a 4.
    - The ratings are not based on how good the song is, but rather on things like notability, playability, and interest. For example, Nugget Man would get rated highly because it's humorous. We don't get a lot of those. Whereas a lot of the Free Spirit songs (while they are all fantastic plays imo) might not get rated so high because there are a lot of them.

I'm hoping this clears the air on some of that. The ratings are for people to take notice of songs that stand out from the rest.
    edited September 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4503093 said:
    Sorry if I'm asking a stupid or old or irrelevant question, but I was wondering...
    Why isn't That Authoring Group in your list of authors? Aren't they authors too... ;_;

I'd love to answer this.

We have the list of authors based on the authors that are involved with the site. The first step for the authors is to give me that information, the next step is to register on the forums, and the step after that is to post announcements on the news page. Some authors have gone through all steps (Chart Toppers, Gigakoops, etc) while others haven't gone through the first one (RockGamer, That Authoring Group).

Last I heard from That Authoring Group, they plan on getting started, but haven't yet. If you want to see them on there, I'd suggest emailing them about it.
    edited September 2011
    AND one more notice (hate to triple post)

We got "Diana Don't Slow Down" by Gary Dean Smith
    Great song to listen to (for some) but I'm not sure how well it translates into RB format. We'll have to see a playthrough video, so hopefully one of those shows up eventually.
    edited September 2011
    Offbeat usually has previews up for their songs the day they hit the store.
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4503172 said:

- The ratings are not based on how good the song is, but rather on things like notability, playability, and interest.
    atalkingfish;4501621 said:
    These ratings take into consideration many aspects of a song. Not just how good it sounds.
    Based on what you've said earlier that felt like the message I was receiving from you.

If it's solely about chart playability, then that's fine, since that's less subjective.
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503190 said:
    Based on what you've said earlier that felt like the message I was receiving from you.

If it's solely about chart playability, then that's fine, since that's less subjective.

Well, obviously how the song sounds has something to do with it. Because songs that are great to listen to are often more fun to play than other songs with similar charts and less sound quality.

For example, "Internal Cannon" is not my type of music, and it probably never will be, but for its genre, it's a pretty good song. That helps its rating.

"Mouth Without a Head" isn't my type of RBN DLC, and I probably won't get it. But it's one heck of a good song. I mean, I've listened to the playthrough video 3 times so far. I want people to know that songs like these are coming through so they don't miss them. Because for guitar, it'd be a really fantastic song to play.

EDIT: To clarify, though, the songs listenability will only come into consideration if I feel it effects the playability of the song. Some songs sound great but suck to play and vice versa. In those situations, the playability will come before listenability.
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4503193 said:
    For example, "Internal Cannon" ...for its genre, it's a pretty good song.

And you're basing this off what?
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503198 said:

The majority of screamo/metal songs that come through the RBN.

As I said before, these ratings are based on community review. right now, I, personally, am only 1/3rd of the vote. Every community review (even as simple as "this song is fun" or "don't buy this") is taken into effect and that fractions goes to 1/4 to 1/5 and so on and so forth.

If you have opinions about songs, lemme hear them. Otherwise, move along.
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4503214 said:
    The majority of screamo/metal songs that come through the RBN.

You see, this is one of the problems I have with the general Rock Band audience with metal and how they react to this.

It really saddens me that when people think about metal, they think about screaming, growling, breakdowns and scatterbrained riffs with the occasional clean vocals that come at the chorus. That's just metalcore, a sub-category of metal.

Metal sure didn't start out screaming and wailing on guitars as Black Sabbath represented. In fact there are so many different metal categories now that the only thing that defines metal overall is the crunchy distortion put into the instruments.

There's power metal with clean vocals, emphasis on melodies.

Black metal with raw production values, intense distortion and drumming blended with harsh, screaming vocals.

Doom metal, slow tempo music with thick instrumental sounds, might I add we have none of in RBN as I said so many other times before.

Folk metal, death metal, speed metal, thrash metal, neo-classical metal, sludge metal, gothic metal, it goes on.

But, the fact that you base metal on the equivalent on basing metalcore and how you put it on the same level is really unacceptable.

And might I add:

Screamo is a punk genre, it has nothing to do with metal.
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503198 said:
    August Burns Red is easily the best working band in the metalcore scene right now. Metalcore is pathetic, it's all generic 4/4 with alternating scream and clean vocals with albums that usually just sound like one continuous song, all the way through. August Burns Red differentiates themselves and their technical prowess is fantastic.
    edited September 2011
    Memphis May Fire is the only metalcore band I can stand to listen to outside of Rock Band, and I quite like them. We need some stuff from their new album.
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4503217 said:
    You see, this is one of the problems I have with the general Rock Band audience with metal and how they react to this.

It really saddens me that when people think about metal, they think about screaming, growling, breakdowns and scatterbrained riffs with the occasional clean vocals that come at the chorus. That's just metalcore, a sub-category of metal.

Metal sure didn't start out screaming and wailing on guitars as Black Sabbath represented. In fact there are so many different metal categories now that the only thing that defines metal overall is the crunchy distortion put into the instruments.

There's power metal with clean vocals, emphasis on melodies.

Black metal with raw production values, intense distortion and drumming blended with harsh, screaming vocals.

Doom metal, slow tempo music with thick instrumental sounds, might I add we have none of in RBN as I said so many other times before.

Folk metal, death metal, speed metal, thrash metal, neo-classical metal, sludge metal, gothic metal, it goes on.

But, the fact that you base metal on the equivalent on basing metalcore and how you put it on the same level is really unacceptable.

And might I add:

Screamo is a punk genre, it has nothing to do with metal.

Seriously? You took one sentence out of that entire thing to focus on?

I think I just realized how much time I wasted just now. Holy cow.

Anyways, the ratings are there, whether you want to use them or not. Do not use them as an indicator for how good it is as a song, but for how good it is as RBN DLC.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4503172 said:
    A few things about the rating system:

- I never rate below a 5 or above an 8. Any ratings past those will have to be done by community response (for example, if I make something an 8 because it's got good charts, good playability, and nothing that would make it a bad RB track, and you guys all go "THIS SONG IS FRIGGIN AMAZING", I'll probably bump it to a 9 or 10. If I make something a 5 or 6 because there are things wrong with it, and you guys go "Wow, this has a terrible chart", I'll probably bump it to a 3 or a 4.
    - The ratings are not based on how good the song is, but rather on things like notability, playability, and interest. For example, Nugget Man would get rated highly because it's humorous. We don't get a lot of those. Whereas a lot of the Free Spirit songs (while they are all fantastic plays imo) might not get rated so high because there are a lot of them.

I'm hoping this clears the air on some of that. The ratings are for people to take notice of songs that stand out from the rest.
    Ugh, that sounds like a horrible way to do it. It'd be better to either let it be a publicly open vote, or simply take the numbers from DLC Quickplay (which does band ratings as a combo of the instrument ratings, which works pretty well.) That way it's more of a community rating rather than your personal ratings.

Still, your site you rules.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2011
    atalkingfish;4503176 said:
    I'd love to answer this.

We have the list of authors based on the authors that are involved with the site. The first step for the authors is to give me that information, the next step is to register on the forums, and the step after that is to post announcements on the news page. Some authors have gone through all steps (Chart Toppers, Gigakoops, etc) while others haven't gone through the first one (RockGamer, That Authoring Group).

Last I heard from That Authoring Group, they plan on getting started, but haven't yet. If you want to see them on there, I'd suggest emailing them about it.
    Thank you for answering my question in a really polite way :D
    I was actually worried that there was some behind the scenes meanness going on ><
    Glad that isn't the case :)

And keep up the good work, man. You're doing a damn good job.