why are RBN songs blocked by parental controls?

IdmaifIdmaif Unsigned
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
i have rock band 3 for 360, and my dad likes to put up these stupid parental controls on everything. i went onto the rock band music store and downloaded a bunch of songs, but the ones i downloaded from the Rock Band Network require the "parental control pass code" to play, but i can play any of the others with no problem. how do i fix this? i cant find it in any options anywhere

it didn't ask for a password to download them, just to play them

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    They're unrated content. Regular DLC is content approved for the T rating of the disc.

Ask your dad to put in the password.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    You can't fix this. RBN songs aren't rated (normal DLC is rated Teen). Unrated content requires the highest setting to access.

There be ninjas in these mountains.
  • IdmaifIdmaif Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    hmm, i got into the parental control settings and set it to "allow unrated content" and it still asks for the password
    edited September 2011
    Was 'Ask your dad to put in the password' a difficult step, or are you just choosing to ignore going to the person who set it?
  • IdmaifIdmaif Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    i wouldnt mind asking my dad to put in the password if it was just once, but if i have to get the password every time i play rock band, it gets extremely annoying
    edited September 2011
    Parental controls are for your safety.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    The alternative is to improve the relationship with the dad to get them to trust the OP more so that the dad removes the block and then the songs (and other content) can be played at will.

This of course takes time and effort. And also must be maintained through proper deeds and words.

As such, it's too difficult a suggestion. HMX should fix this!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4501840 said:
    The alternative is to improve the relationship with the dad to get them to trust the OP more so that the dad removes the block and then the songs (and other content) can be played at will.

This of course takes time and effort. And also must be maintained through proper deeds and words.

As such, it's too difficult a suggestion. HMX should fix this!

I agree, most RBN songs are just as clean as DLC now.
    And i don't see how a song can offend anyone.. I hear worse walking through a retail store...
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2011
    Sounds like your dad is doing this so you won't get any games with lots of gore in it, not for some songs that might have the word death in it once. just ask him to remove it, show all your games to him so he can see they all have the appropriate rating and hope for the best :)
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited September 2011
    Parental controls block RBN songs because RBN songs are officially "not rated" from a technical perspective. (You can see this also by searching for songs in the Song Finder - some are FF for Family Friendly, some are SR for something I can't remember at the moment, and then all the RBN songs are NR for Not Rated.)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited September 2011
    HMXLachesis;4502157 said:
    ...some are SR for something I can't remember at the moment...

"Supervision Recommended"
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited September 2011
    FujiSkunk;4502203 said:
    "Supervision Recommended"

Thank you! (I kept trying to turn the "R" into "rating", but it wasn't.)
  • SentientSoldierSentientSoldier Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    Actually, it's not necessarily because of the whole "Not Rated" content of the Rock Band songs.

At it's core, the RBN runs under the same tools / submission process for the Xbox Live Indie Games section. All XBLIG content is parental locked, and ergo, you need to have a 18+ (or whatever your region's limit is) Xbox Live account or the corresponding Parental Control options to access it.

Since RBN songs are, for all intents and purposes, Xbox Live Indie Game content, they're under the same set of rules.
    edited September 2011
    SentientSoldier;4503938 said:
    All XBLIG content is parental locked
    Yeees, because it's not rated by the ESRB, hence why RBN songs say Not Rated.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited September 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4503941 said:
    Yeees, because it's not rated by the ESRB, hence why RBN songs say Not Rated.

Pardon the nitpick, but official DLC isn't rated by the ESRB either, so it's not because the ESRB doesn't rate it, it's because nobody rates it. HMX has decided not to take on that responsibility, and you can't trust those scraggly RBN authors to police their own content. :)