Rock Band Network Songs-a-Day Recommendation Thread

Comments

• FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4506242 said:
    Also, is there a reason why the sample of the 2nd one is just an incomplete preview of the song instead of the whole thing? Just wondering.

That was the best I could find, unfortunately. :( Didn't spot any full-track gameplay videos anywhere.
    edited September 2011
    Chaotrope - Baptized by Fire
    Genre: Metal/Prog
    Year: 2010

Parts: Guitar / Drums / Bass

Summary: Shred-driven electronica styled to fit in with prog metal masters.

Official Details: All metal fans will like this one, a mix of metal and symphony. Blazing guitar solos and a cool drum solo will give you a fun challenge!
    This song is made in mixcraft with virtual instruments from scratch, placing each note on each instrument individually. Yes it takes a long time!

Recommended If You Like: Liquid Tension Experiment

Sample the track

Tumbledown - Homeward Bound
    Genre: Country/Alternative
    Year: 2009

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Drums / Bass

Summary: Fast and tricky cow-punk, borrowing heavily from both sides of the style.

Official Details: Tumbledown, the alt/country solo project of Mike Herrera of MxPx fame brings his familiar vocals to a different sound than the melodic pop punk MxPx was famous for. “Homeward Bound” is fast, fun, and easy to sing-a-long to. With upright bass, intricate guitar and the slightest country twang, this song will get those heads bobbing and boots-a-stompin’!

Recommended If You Like: Old 97's

Sample the track
    edited September 2011
    Gomez - How We Operate
    Genre: Rock/Rock
    Year: 2006

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Pro Drums / Bass

Summary: A crisp and folksy sound, lots of acoustic style and a unique vocalist.

Official Details: Gomez has stood apart from their very beginning just over a decade ago, earning critical praise and an ever-growing fanbase for their eclectic and ambitious musical tack. HOW WE OPERATE - Gomez's ATO Records debut - proved the venerable band's biggest popular success thus far, debuting at #1 on Billboard's "Heatseekers" chart upon its May 2006 release. The album's title track drew major airplay at multi-format radio outlets nationwide, including Triple A and Modern Rock. The band introduced themselves in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album BRING IT ON, which went on to win the Mercury Prize that same year. Their most recent album, A NEW TIDE, was released in March, 2009.

Recommended If You Like: Mumford & Sons, Delta Spirit

Sample the track

Mile Marker Zero - Laceration
    Genre: Prog

Summary: Almost metal-heavy progressive rock, somewhat light on the trippy elements.

Official Details: From the moment they formed in 2003, New Haven, Connecticut quintet Mile Marker Zero have taken a slightly off-kilter, multi-tiered approach towards rock music that bordered on duality. Their songs are epic and ambitious, filled with unconventional arrangements and challenging rhythms yet they also flow with powerful melodies and memorable choruses. Even their name is a dichotomy.

Recommended If You Like: A Perfect Circle, Pink Floyd

Sample the track
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 2011
    I like the Gomez track. Too bad it's not on the Wii.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Anything with keys?
    edited September 2011
    lvmathemagician;4507019 said:
    Anything with keys?

If one comes up, it comes up. All the selections are completely random.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2011
    Whoops, I had my post typed out for yesterday and forgot to send it. Well, to be honest, I didn't like any 4 of those songs. I do appreciate the exposure of bands I've never heard of though :3

Oh and can't wait for a Keys song to come up! :D
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2011
    Is there any chance you could mention:
    1) What instruments the track has (harmonies and keys in particular)
    2) What platforms a song is on if it's on outside of the 360?
    3) RBN2 or RBN1

It might help folks find the songs and/or request them.
    edited September 2011
    Bront20;4507403 said:
    Is there any chance you could mention:
    1) What instruments the track has (harmonies and keys in particular)
    2) What platforms a song is on if it's on outside of the 360?
    3) RBN2 or RBN1

It might help folks find the songs and/or request them.

The first two are already mentioned, and the most important and hard-to-assess part of the third (Pro drum compatibility) is handled in how I list instruments. If it just says "drums", then it's RBN1 and too early for proper Pro authoring. It's just a matter of statistics so far; most songs are only on 360, most songs don't have harmonies and keys, just happens those are the ones to be picked so far.

Having the actual website will make searching on those criteria a lot easier, but I only have spare time for that. Got songs to author and whatnot. :P
    edited September 2011
    Thomas Walker - Flight of the Bumblebee
    Genre: Classical
    Year: 2011

Parts: Bass / Pro Keys

Summary: The famous classical "shred". Bass takes on the left-hand keys parts.

Official Details: "Flight of the Bumblebee" is an orchestral interlude written by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov for his opera The Tale of Tsar Saltan, composed in 1899-1900. The piece closes Act III, Tableau 1, during which the magic Swan-Bird changes Prince Gvidon Saltanovich (the Tsar's son) into an insect so that he can fly away to visit his father (who does not know that he is alive). Although in the opera the Swan-Bird sings during the first part of the "Flight", her vocal line is melodically uninvolved and easily omitted; this feature, combined with the fact that the number decisively closes the scene, made easy extraction as an orchestral concert piece possible.

Recommended If You Like: Tchaikovsky, Romantic-era classical

Sample the track

DeBaser - Happy Little Tune
    Genre: New Wave/Synth

Parts: Guitar / Drums / Bass

Summary: A simple, somewhat repetitive major-key synth track.

Official Details: A happy little tune for everyone to enjoy!

Recommended If You Like: Example

Sample the track
  • big_old_tombig_old_tom Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    That Gomez song from yesterday sounded good. I'd buy it, but it appears to only be on 360.
    edited September 2011
    Hey look! 2 songs with no vocals. Nice change of pace~

Enjoy both of these songs pretty much. I prefer Flight of the Bumblebee more, but I do enjoy "Happy Little Tune". I mean, feeling happy is great! :D

Not planning to buy either, unfortunately. Neither are too mindblowingly awesome as "Magician" was. Which you totally worked on Fairwood. So not only do you get my heartfelt thanks, but also a high five! :3
    Oh and I don't know too much about the RBN process, but you should totally try to shoot for a RB3 version of it~
    edited September 2011
    Daas Bosh - Eternal Divine Angel Death
    Genre: Metal/Alternative

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Pro Drums / Bass

Summary: Mellow alternative metal with orchestral padding. Picks up a bit at the solo.

Official Details: The Daas Bosh story begins in T
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    I really enjoyed the Widespread Panic song even though I had never heard it before. I'm so glad I can preview RBN tracks inside the game now! Could you do a review of the Widespread Panic song at some point?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2011
    Not going to lie, I check this thread every day to see if my song comes up on the randomizer >_>
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    kingtonyx;4508218 said:
    Not going to lie, I check this thread every day to see if my song comes up on the randomizer >_>

*sniff* And I thought I was all alone.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Soon this thread will be big enough for me to randomize the songs given. I really miss the "random song" feature of the RB2 era RBN store.
    edited September 2011
    Stroke 9 - Kick Some Ass '09
    Also available on PS3, Wii
    Genre: Rock/Rock

Summary: A prototypical late 90's alternative pop song. Re-record is faithful to the original style.

Official Details: Inspired by the burnt out interior of a bunker at a naval shipyard, "Kick Some Ass" is a battle cry for Suburban kids, soldiers and fed-up hipsters alike. KSA was also featured in the stoner cult classic "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".

Recommended If You Like: Lit, Everclear

Sample the track

Steam Powered Giraffe - Electricity is In My Soul
    Genre: Rock/Psychedelic

Summary: Psychedelic steampunk cabaret. Light on difficulty but heavy on personality.

Official Details: San Diego's native robot band has expanded into the video game realm by bringing their vocal harmonies and catchy tunes to Rock Band! Steam Powered Giraffe's fan-popular rock song, "Electricity is in My Soul" is the first song from their album, Album One, to make a Rock Band debut.

Recommended If You Like: The Dresden Dolls, Abney Park

Sample the track
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Absolutely loving that Daas Bosh "Eternal Divine Angel Death" track.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4508972 said:
    Steam Powered Giraffe - Electricity is In My Soul

How can you compare that to Abney Park?
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4509012 said:
    How can you compare that to Abney Park?

That name came up in the discussions, I didn't listen to compare.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Yeah some of these "recommended if you like" are about as obscure as the bands in question. Will you forgo them if your random song generator comes up with Seether/Creed/Evanescence/Drowning Pool/Finger Eleven?
    edited September 2011
    I wouldn't consider Abney Park obscure... At least not nearly as much as the recommendation.
    edited September 2011
    While I haven't heard of them either, I was specifically referring to
    FairwoodStudios;4507574 said:
    Recommended If You Like: Example
    FairwoodStudios;4506502 said:

Recommended If You Like: Liquid Tension Experiment

Recommended If You Like: Old 97's
    FairwoodStudios;4506967 said:

Recommended If You Like: Mumford & Sons, Delta Spirit

Okay, maybe as obscure isn't fair, but these are hardly household names to make the RBN acts instantly more accessible.
    edited September 2011
    Mumford & Sons are one of the biggest indie bands today. Even calling them mid-tier is stretching it.
    edited September 2011
    Well, sorry, but that recommendation went miles above my head.
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4509088 said:
    Yeah some of these "recommended if you like" are about as obscure as the bands in question. Will you forgo them if your random song generator comes up with Seether/Creed/Evanescence/Drowning Pool/Finger Eleven?

YES YES YES! As much as I love this thread, the "Recommended if you like:" part is extremely useless to me, since I've never heard of almost any of these bands ><
    For me, just seeing an obscure song being recommended if you like an obscure artist makes me kinda discouraged D:

And I've never heard of Abney Park.

Also, for the last 4 songs, I kinda like "Kick Some Ass '09" but I already have enough novelty songs for now. The rest aren't my cup of tea.

Looking forward to some other great tracks :D
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4509088 said:

I've been dodging that question because I really don't know. I mean... if there were an RBN band that sounded exactly like Forward, Russia!, totally indistinguishable, then I would recommend them for fans of that song. It's a perfectly accurate recommendation but most people would be like "who the **** is Forward, Russia!?". Nevermind that RBN represents some genres and styles that were just never popular. There's no big names that sound like Coelacanths and that's probably for the best. And if it's already a big name, then there's probably other similarly big names to compare against, but of course that doesn't add as much.

Either way, this is a constant experiment. I really don't have an opinion on popular vs. accurate in terms of which is better for recommendations. And I guess that's all the more reason to get a proper site going, so you (collectively) can add better recommendations and vote up/down others. I'm just trying to help in some small, vague way.
    edited September 2011
    Thank you for not taking my remark as a personal slight. I think 'popular' would be better than 'accurate' for the comparisons, if you had to choose. Isn't the point to give people something to latch onto? Maybe I'm the only person in the world who hasn't heard of Abney Park or Mumford & Sons (sorta doubt it, though), but that really gives precisely zero new information. Of course the "sample the track" link is all we really need, but you've kinda got to cater to the ignorant here. Maybe give 3-4 artists for the comparisons to increase the odds that one sticks ('a course, the problem with that is that the comparisons would become less strong with more artists involved, but I think that's a minor concern).
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4509319 said:
    Thank you for not taking my remark as a personal slight. I think 'popular' would be better than 'accurate' for the comparisons, if you had to choose. Isn't the point to give people something to latch onto? Maybe I'm the only person in the world who hasn't heard of Abney Park or Mumford & Sons (sorta doubt it, though), but that really gives precisely zero new information. Of course the "sample the track" link is all we really need, but you've kinda got to cater to the ignorant here. Maybe give 3-4 artists for the comparisons to increase the odds that one sticks ('a course, the problem with that is that the comparisons would become less strong with more artists involved, but I think that's a minor concern).

That and I'm kinda pulling teeth just to get one or two right now. :P