Rock Band Network Songs-a-Day Recommendation Thread

FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
edited January 2012 in Rock Band
Greetings, people of Earth!

In the recent thread about Rock Band Network, a pretty evident theme kept appearing- people didn't want to put in the effort to dig through 1,300+ songs to find what they liked, but a lot of people didn't want to totally rule RBN out. What they needed was some assistance, some guidance as to what the Network actually has to offer. The genre listings for new releases help, but there's more that can be done. And so the community started to do something about it.

On the Creator's Club forums, I've posted a batch of randomly-selected RBN songs from throughout its entire history. Every day, for as long as we can keep this up, two songs will be posted in this thread. They'll each have a brief description and, most importantly, a small list of more notable names that are fairly similar to the largely unknown RBN artists. These recommendations come from authors and reviewers, sometimes from the people who brought you the tracks themselves. These include summaries, "official" descriptions (taken from the Creator's Club site), and samples, be it Youtube videos or links to the band's site- anywhere that you can hear the song itself before taking a shot at it in-game. Hopefully, this will help remind everyone of lost gems and help guide people into the wonderful and weird world of RBN. Think of it as a little hack-ish fix to the in-game recommendation system.

Of course, if the recommendations don't seem entirely right, say so! One or two influences is hardly enough to paint a good image. So if you know a song well and can think of other artists (or other songs!) that better line up, feel free to mention them and they'll be added to the overall list.

Note: because of the nature of RBN and how it's built and all that, many songs are only available on XBox 360 in limited regions. Songs that are also available on Wii and/or PS3 will be marked as such, but otherwise assume they're 360-only.

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    This is my type of thread. I buy very often from RBN, but I love finding hidden gems. Will keep an eye on this.

Honestly, one of the first RBN songs I bought is "The Stranger" by Bright Midnight. It's pretty obvious the writer/singer has a thing for The Doors, but I really like it. Love the "jam" quality of it.

Also, I really get the feeling I'm the only one who didn't care for Creatures ov Deception :(
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    instantdeath999;4502109 said:
    Also, I really get the feeling I'm the only one who didn't care for Creatures ov Deception :(

Don't worry, you're not.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4502150 said:
    Don't worry, you're not.

Same here. It's a bit too bonkers for me. But that also means it's a huge challenge, and a lot of folks want a challenge...

Also I've set up a Twitter feed for this little project, which is just gonna be the recommendations in <140 characters but you don't have to load the forums for it.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    This is a fantastic idea. Keep it up. One thought: specify which console(s) each song is on.
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4502338 said:
    This is a fantastic idea. Keep it up. One thought: specify which console(s) each song is on.

I'll be adding notes if a song is on PS3 and/or Wii, but if it's not on either (like these two, it so happens) then there won't be a mention.
  • blackheartstarblackheartstar Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4502338 said:

Yes here in a bit Im going to see if these are in the PS3 store. If they are Im sold... but on the other hand I buy at least one RBN track a week so Im not realy new clientele
    edited September 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4502357 said:
    I'll be adding notes if a song is on PS3 and/or Wii, but if it's not on either (like these two, it so happens) then there won't be a mention.

Well, at least specify that in the OP (that only if they are on one of the other two will that be noted in future posts). Because you're gonna have people searching the PSN store for songs that in essence don't exist, if you don't.

Heh, such as ^ blackheartstar, it so happens.
    edited September 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4502357 said:
    PS3 and/or Wii

More like "Wii and/or PS3." I just checked to be certain, and yeah, any song that made it to the Wii is also on PS3.
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4502365 said:
    More like "Wii and/or PS3." I just checked to be certain, and yeah, any song that made it to the Wii is also on PS3.

Sounds like a job for logic gates. :P But yea, I've added a little language about RBN availability in general.
    edited September 2011
    Fallen Angel - Grant Me Peace
    Genre: Metal/Power
    Year: 2010

Parts: Guitar / Harmonies / Pro Drums / Bass

Summary: A modern take on the classic NWOBHM sound. Challenging without being insane.

Official Details: Rochester, NY's FALLEN ANGEL is a heavy metal band firmly rooted in the grand traditions of classic 80s power and thrash. With influences from Iron Maiden, Anthrax, and Judas Priest, the band is set to bring their style of no-holds-barred epic heavy metal to the Rock Band Network! "Grant Me Peace" is taken from the band's independently-released debut album, "Crawling Out of Hell", now available through Amazon, CD Baby, iTunes, and other such retailers.

Recommended If You Like: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden

Sample the track

This or the Apocalypse - Lamnidae
    Genre: Metal/Core

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Drums / Bass

Summary: Technical metalcore that avoids harsh vocals or techno breakdowns.

Official Details: This or the Apocalypse are a band that exhibits the patience and dedication to step outside the box to create something both heavy and unique. Their craft of song is intelligent, scathing, honest and even uplifting. With a foundation steadily built from self-released recordings and self-booked tours, This or the Apocalypse signed to LifeForce Records. Their first commercial debut, "Monuments", reached American shelves on September 07 and the rest of the world the following month. The album ripped along at a driving pace, thoughtfully interchanging syncopated polyrhythmic grooves, striking melodies, and a passionate approach unheard in heavy music. With inspiration taken from vintage poetry and classic literature coupled with Armellino's tenacious and honest vocal delivery, the album offered listeners a welcomed change of pace from typical heavy music themes.

Recommended If You Like: All That Remains

Sample the track
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Awesome Fairwood! Glad to see this idea taking off, I think it will help reach out to more people.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Just picked up Pale Rider. And I thought I had listened to every RBN song released...
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2011
    Wow... just wow. I'm so glad this thread exists.
    <3 you Fairwood

"Grant Me Peace" is really sweet, and I'm no Metal fan at all. I mean sure, I love me some Dragonforce and some Anthrax/Megadeth, but I don't explode at the thought of Metal. This song really is well done. Not gonna buy it yet, but I'm going to check out their other music to see how much I dig them.

Less entusiastic for "Lamnidae" though, but that's cool. The world doesn't revolve around me and all :D

You're doing a great job~
    Thanks much!
    edited September 2011
    Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You
    Also available on PS3, Wii
    Genre: Indie Rock/Indie Rock
    Year: 2007

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Drums / Bass

Summary: A slow building track, somewhat light on the group's folk influences but still calm and romantic.

Official Details: The intense power ballad from Band of Horses second album.

Recommended If You Like: Fleet Foxes

Sample the track

The Guild feat. Felicia Day - (Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar
    Also available on PS3, Wii
    Genre: Other/Dance
    Year: 2009

Parts: Guitar / Vocals / Pro Drums / Bass

Summary: Penny from Dr. Horrible sings radio-friendly dance-pop about a video game character. Mind the electronic drums.

Official Details: “(Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar" is a 2009 song created and performed by the cast of the web series The Guild, with lead vocals by singer-actress Felicia Day. The lyrics were written by Day and the music was written by musical composer Jed Whedon who also directed the music video.

Recommended If You Like: Lady Gaga, Ke$ha

Sample the track
  • edited September 2011
    The drums on Do You Want To Date My Avatar are just terrible to play but the rest of the song is amazing especially for anyone who is a fan of the web series.

Not sure that i would compare it to Lady Gaga and Ke$ha but then again (aside from the lyrics that anyone who has played WoW (or any MMORPG for that matter) will love) it does have a Lady Gaga sound.
    edited September 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4503069 said:
    "Grant Me Peace" is really sweet, and I'm no Metal fan at all. I mean sure, I love me some Dragonforce and some Anthrax/Megadeth, but I don't explode at the thought of Metal. This song really is well done. Not gonna buy it yet, but I'm going to check out their other music to see how much I dig them.

Less entusiastic for "Lamnidae" though, but that's cool. The world doesn't revolve around me and all :D

There's a lot more Fallen Angel in the store and in the pipeline (I believe they're doing the full album). Honestly, I completely forgot Lamnidae even happened. Totally flew under my radar, but I'm the same way in that I probably wouldn't pay much attention to it anyway.

And today's pair kinda shows one of the issues I expected we'd have... RBN does have some popular stuff and it's kinda hard to make safe recommendations for those. On the other hand, should be plenty more room for folks to comment on the picks and how horrible our selections were. :P
    edited September 2011
    I liked "No One's Gonna Love You." It was a nice little track that I could have sworn I've heard before, but have no intention to buy.

I listened to "(Do You Wanna Date My Avatar) before, and I think it's a really cool track, but really really strange. But I like that :D
    Not something I would buy, but really really cool.

Question, is there any specific way of you picking these songs? Like are you focusing on those that are available on all systems or RBN1 songs? Or just random? :P
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2011
    (Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar is a lot of fun. Sadly, it suffers from playing a keys chart on guitar, and and a pretty rough drum chart, but it's still fun to sing and play in groups.

"Hangman" by Drugstore Fanatics is a fun song on every instrument I've played it on so far, it's $.99, and it's on the PS3 as well.

The Downtown Fiction songs are pretty cool if you like emo/pop-punk. They sound a little like a young Fallout Boy IMHO.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    It might be better to format this as a blog rather than a forum thread; you could just link the blog from the OP. That way you don't have to worry about running out of room in the first post or forum thread clutter.
    edited September 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4503963 said:
    Question, is there any specific way of you picking these songs? Like are you focusing on those that are available on all systems or RBN1 songs? Or just random? :P

Utterly random, using www.random.org. Only rule I set is that any given artist only gets one song per week. If they come up twice I re-roll. Days with two metal songs or two mega-hits are just as likely as days with two utter unknowns.
    Icemage;4504057 said:
    It might be better to format this as a blog rather than a forum thread; you could just link the blog from the OP. That way you don't have to worry about running out of room in the first post or forum thread clutter.

The end goal isn't just a blog but a whole recommendation engine website. That takes time to implement though, and I figured starting on the forums would get the community used to the project and give a jump-start to the database when the site's time came.
    edited September 2011
    Minnesota Sex Junkies - Burning Rome
    Genre: Indie Rock/Indie Rock
    Year: 2008

Parts: Guitar / Vocals/ Drums / Bass

Summary: Thoroughly 90's alternative. Starts quiet and acoustic, turns more aggressive as it goes.

Official Details: Minnesota Sex Junkies defy the notion that a band has to belong to a genre by crafting albums that sample a little bit of everything from Metal and Rock to Country and Jazz. "Burning Rome" is a haunting Indie-Rock song with deceptively challenging drums.

Recommended If You Like: Live

Sample the track

CyLeW - Familiar
    Genre: Alternative/Alternative
    Year: 2008

Summary: Female-fronted rock with gothic tones and few curveballs.

Official Details: Cylew self-released her debut album "Not So Sleeping, Not So Beauty" in 2008 with the help of producer Arnaud Bascu
    edited September 2011
    Awwww, I didn't like either songs :(
    But that's alright, there's always going to be days where I'm not going to like them.
    Besides, I'm here to give new music a shot! :D

Anyway, I'm actually quite surprised that you're choosing songs randomly. I thought it was going to be based on some unknown but amazing gems that the RBN is full with. Shows how strange luck is when my favorite RBN1 song was the 2nd song to be chosen in this thread :P

Thanks for your work, I appreciate it! :)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    I really enjoy all of the Band of Horses songs.
  • big_old_tombig_old_tom Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    instantdeath999;4504772 said:
    I really enjoy all of the Band of Horses songs.

Same here. I had them already.
    edited September 2011
    Lightwires - Magician
    Genre: Indie Rock/Lo-fi

Summary: Vaguely sinister electronic-backed rock with nervous rhythms and a wide range of guitar work.

Official Details: Equal parts Joy Division and Radiohead, equal parts Dutch and American, Lightwires layer electric and live sounds without a second thought. The opening track of their 2009 debut "Last Night Electric", this raw rendition of "Magician" takes the electric tweaking, high-speed guitar, and off-beat drumming to its furthest lengths.

Recommended If You Like: Joy Division

Sample the track

Kataklysm - Numb & Intoxicated
    Also available on PS3
    Genre: Metal/Death

(2x Kick version available)

Summary: Fast and aggressive death metal. Instruments are consistent, vocals are easy to understand, band did not perform this song while intoxicated.

Official Details: Kataklysm is a Canadian death metal band. They call their musical style "northern hyperblast" after an advertisement in M.E.A.T. magazine describing another band, Fear Factory, as "hyperblast". The term refers to the extremely fast blast beats that Kataklysm's drummer, Max Duhamel, fuses into the music.

Recommended If You Like: Fear Factory

Sample the track
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    "Numb & Intoxicated" is a pretty good song. Probably my second death metal choice on RBN behind "Your Treachery Will Die With You" by Dying Fetus.
    edited September 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4505304 said:
    "Numb & Intoxicated" is a pretty good song. Probably my second death metal choice on RBN behind "Your Treachery Will Die With You" by Dying Fetus.

Yea, not quite as ridiculously insanely hard as YTWDWY... but still ridiculously insanely hard. :P (On drums, anyway.)
    edited September 2011
    WOW! Completely blown away.
    "Magician" is AMAAAAZIIIING :D
    I would pick this up, but I JUST blew up my last MSP on some other songs.
    I would have NEVER EVER found this gem if it weren't for you and your mystical random generator powers.
    Thanks much Fairwood!<3
    I'll also check into Joy Division and Radiohead then. Never heard of them before, so it'll be really fresh and stuff.

Unfortunately, "Numb & Intoxicated" is on the other side of the spectrum. I really really dislike growley voices types of songs. Mainly because I'm a vocalist at heart, but there are people who like to sing Death Metal. It's just not my thing ><

BUT STILL! THANKS MUCH FAIRWOOD :D
    edited September 2011
    Audio Ammunition - War Against the Radio
    Genre: Rock/Other
    Year: 2005

Summary: Synthy rap-rock with a healthy dose of irreverence and disco beats.

Official Details: "War Against the Radio" is a shining example of Audio Ammunition's blend of synth, electronic and rock stylings.

Recommended If You Like: Flobots

Sample the track

Gladhander - Bad Things
    Genre: Grunge

Summary: Leans to the punk side of grunge, bass-heavy and fast.

Official Details: Gladhander is an American rock band that was formed by singer/guitarist Mitch Chamberlain and drummer Kasey Waite in Eugene, Oregon. Gladhander has had 3 different bass guitar players including Dustin LaRoche, Rick McFadden, and David Ghelfi, who labels himself the band's "third and final bassist".

Recommended If You Like: Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots

Sample the track
    edited September 2011
    Don't like either songs ><

Found the first one pretty forgettable, and I didn't like the vocalist of the 2nd one. Oh well, I'm sure someone will appreciate it :D

Also, is there a reason why the sample of the 2nd one is just an incomplete preview of the song instead of the whole thing? Just wondering.