Random question: "It's A Small World"

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
We all know the popular Disney song from the ride of the same name. However, this song was purposely never copywritten as to be a "gift to the world"...

How does this apply to RB's "no covers" rule? Not that I would be covering it or trying to put it up or anything, but just a question...

Comments

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2011
    kingtonyx;4503210 said:
    that's a good point. I wonder what's up with that... It was on an official disney site that i read that it wasn't copywritten.

record it! <3
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Make sure it's really in the public domain.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    I just checked again on a copyright databse site, and it appears that the only copyrights I could find were people copyrighting the audio of their own performance, no copyright for the composition. I'd totally be into doing some sort of crazy cover of it, like a glitchy chiptune remix or something, all I really need is some sheet music. Let's just hope this doesn't end up like Flight of The Bumblebee with three different versions.

Edit: Just found a concert band arrangement free online, I'll make a cover tonight.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2011
    hahaha awesome!

I'll let you do it, I think a Disney song with a breakdown would be somewhat strange
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    This thread reminds me of the fact that the "Happy Birthday" song totally is copyrighted, which is just weird.
  • KarioChartsJerryKarioChartsJerry Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4503595 said:
    I'd totally be into doing some sort of crazy cover of it, like a glitchy chiptune remix

NO
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4503790 said:
    NO
    As if there's anything you can do about it.
    edited September 2011
    DragoonXD;4503795 said:
    As if there's anything you can do about it.

I can not buy it! But seriously, who in their right mind would do that and try to present it as marketable? Why ruin a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think anyone should cover it just so they could release it on RBN. I think Harmonix should try and license a Disney version if anything.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4503802 said:
    I can not buy it! But seriously, who in their right mind would do that and try to present it as marketable?
    This is brilliant coming from KarioCharts. :D
    edited September 2011
    Oscarvarium;4503804 said:
    This is brilliant coming from KarioCharts. :D
    It's not coming from Kario Charts. It's coming from Jerry
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Small World, power metal. GO.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4503810 said:
    It's not coming from Kario Charts. It's coming from Jerry
    Doesn't make it any less entertaining. :p
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4503595 said:
    I I'd totally be into doing some sort of crazy cover of it, like a glitchy chiptune remix or something, all I really need is some sheet music. Let's just hope this doesn't end up like Flight of The Bumblebee with three different versions.

Edit: Just found a concert band arrangement free online, I'll make a cover tonight.

In all honesty, I like your music, but this is not a good idea. It's so contrary to the intended sound, I can only see this failing. Take for instance the atrocity that is Hilary Duff's version of "My Generation"

It may seem tempting, but I really don't see it being good, and definitely not faithful, and the last thing we want to do is give Disney a poor impression of the RBN
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    TubaDude49;4503830 said:
    Take for instance the atrocity that is Hilary Duff's version of "My Generation"
    Hey, I like that. :(
    TubaDude49;4503830 said:
    and the last thing we want to do is give Disney a poor impression of the RBN
    Yes, please don't.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4503802 said:
    Why ruin a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    It's better than my "OMG it'd be so hilariously bad" idea of a death metal version. I have realistic drums MIDI now, and I could use my guitars. And I could try death growls.

But that would be much worse than glitchy chiptunes, which I support.
    edited September 2011
    TubaDude49;4503830 said:
    It may seem tempting, but I really don't see it being good, and definitely not faithful, and the last thing we want to do is give Disney a poor impression of the RBN
    This
    edited September 2011
    In all honesty, I would not buy the song if it came out, but I would like to see a "true" version available nonetheless. You know, a happy tune that's just a simple medley, as opposed to changing it too much.

Off topic rant, that's what I think is wrong with the Disney company now days. We've got Roy green-lighting all sorts of bad movies because it'll be popular, as opposed to even promoting the creation of the old-school animated classic that made Disney a household name. The latest we got was a new version of Winnie the Pooh. While good, it's gone to one non-CGI cartoon per two years, not counting straight-to-DVD sequels.

Oh God, I'm not even 20 and I already feel old and dying.
    edited September 2011
    I read a while back that "Tangled" was going to be the last animated movie from Disney to be in theaters for a good while. If I find that link, I'll post.

er...nevermind.
    edited September 2011
    IT'S A SMALLLLLLLLLLL WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! <-- Power Metal intro.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    TubaDude49;4503830 said:
    the last thing we want to do is give Disney a poor impression of the RBN

I'd probably understand this point if there was even a remote likelihood of Disney being involved in the RBN, but I mean, seriously, they aren't. If any Disney songs ever get into a rhythm game it would probably be a rhythm game made by Disney themselves, not a third party game, and in the absolutely off chance that it was a third party game it wouldn't be through a third party authoring group for a third party game.

That said, here it is: It's a Small World [Glitchcore Mix] (Or at least my first attempt at Glitch music). Now all I need is enough money to purchase an XNA subscription so I can get this released.
  • edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4504188 said:
    I'd probably understand this point if there was even a remote likelihood of Disney being involved in the RBN, but I mean, seriously, they aren't. If any Disney songs ever get into a rhythm game it would probably be a rhythm game made by Disney themselves, not a third party game, and in the absolutely off chance that it was a third party game it wouldn't be through a third party authoring group for a third party game.

That said, here it is: It's a Small World [Glitchcore Mix] (Or at least my first attempt at Glitch music). Now all I need is enough money to purchase an XNA subscription so I can get this released.

I like it but i don't think it will translate well into the game.
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4504188 said:

That was hilariously awesome! But as MagicMurderBag7 said it may not transfer too esceptionally well in a video game like Rock Band. Might be worth putting in an 8-bit game to scare the s*** out of the kids.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4504188 said:

That was more terrifying than this. O.o
    edited September 2011
    That was just weird...........
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4504188 said:

It's worth noting that there are two songs from LOST on the RBN, and the show is owned by ABC, which is owned by Disney. So there are Disney-owned songs that are not only on Rock Band, but on the RBN specifically. Though their surprise release makes me uncertain of whether or not they went through the standard RBN process, they made their way into the game regardless. Disney also owns the Miley Cyrus songs that were released as standard DLC.

Just throwing that out there
  • The FriskThe Frisk Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    LuigiHann;4504842 said:
    It's worth noting that there are two songs from LOST on the RBN, and the show is owned by ABC, which is owned by Disney. So there are Disney-owned songs that are not only on Rock Band, but on the RBN specifically. Though their surprise release makes me uncertain of whether or not they went through the standard RBN process, they made their way into the game regardless. Disney also owns the Miley Cyrus songs that were released as standard DLC.

Just throwing that out there
    Also Breaking Benjamin is in game (through official dlc channel, not RBN).
    The label they're signed to is a Disney owned label (Hollywood Records). Also, one of the bands from Lego Rock Band was signed to Walt Disney Records (the song was Real Wild Child, I forget the artist name).

So it does appear that Disney and Disney owned labels are supportive of being in Rock Band.
    edited September 2011
    The Frisk;4504845 said:

So it does appear that Disney and Disney owned labels are supportive of being in Rock Band.

So let's not screw this up. All apologies if I sound rude, but please do not release this song.

EDIT: And I'm aware of similar cases to those already mentioned
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    So what happened to the attitude the RBN is open to everyone? You folks have stomped all over that idea with this thread.
    edited September 2011
    lvmathemagician;4506349 said:
    So what happened to the attitude the RBN is open to everyone? You folks have stomped all over that idea with this thread.

Well, yeah, but we still have to go for the best interest of the overall community and the RBN in general, the precise reason I cancelled 4'33"

His rendition is better than some of the songs that have been released, it just wouldn't be a good idea to do something to put a major entity like Disney against the RBN, especially when some of the bands are signed to their labels
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2011
    I don't think that the remix is particularly bad. It's fine, really. But I think it's important to check with, at the very least, a HMX legal person before making any attempt to chart a song that is technically still a cover. They have lawyers whose job it is to figure this stuff out, and I'd hate to see somebody go through that level of effort and then get shot down (again)