The Raveonettes are interested in the RBN

LesFleursLesFleurs Opening Act
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Some of you may have looked at the thread I started in the main forum.

For those who did not: I was speaking with The Raveonettes band manager Scott Cohen. He told me there were no plans for any more songs to be released on Rock Band. He is however interested in the Rock Band Network.

Catch-22 mentioned something along the lines of choosing an authoring group based on what Scott is looking for. I don't know what he's looking for, and I don't know what to ask. I would like to hand the reigns over to someone here more invested in the RBN and deeply familiar with the process.

I'm a big fan of The Raveonettes, so quality and professionalism are all I ask.

Once it's decided who will take over from here, I'll send him an email, telling him to expect contact from this person regarding the RBN.

Comments

• ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    start by who owns their rights. their last two albums were released on universal, which is most likely a big no if universal holds their rights. as to what they're looking for; they can pretty much pick a group with a fast turnaround but only get 15% back in royalties or a slower turnaround and get 20-25% back.. its up to them.

it actually says vice records... but i have a feeling they're owned by universal.. i dunno, best bet is to ask.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, what I meant was pretty much what Zem said. If the band is looking to maximize revenue, TAG is by far the cheapest authoring group but the turnaround is much slower. RA and RGS charge more royalties (or upfront fees) but do really good work and for the most part can charting and pass a song in a short time span.
  • KarioChartsJerryKarioChartsJerry Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Catch-22;4508728 said:
    TAG is by far the cheapest authoring group
    Are you suuuure
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    I'm pretty sure he's not.
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4508733 said:
    Are you suuuure

Yes. Are you?
    edited September 2011
    Catch-22;4508739 said:
    Yes. Are you?

Don't know their deals, so I have no idea what they offer.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4508742 said:
    Don't know their deals, so I have no idea what they offer.

We're all fans of the game, and we're doing this to get songs into the game, and not to turn a buck.
    Our older deal was 5% of the back end profits (with a payout cap set by the bands label if they so desire).

For a bigger band we'd go even lower, more-so now that sales are falling off. Anything to keep the artists and labels interested in bringing music into the game.

But like Catch said that lower price point comes with the caveat since that we are doing this as a hobby and all of us have day jobs to pay the bills, is does take us longer to get songs into the store.

So on the flip side you have have groups like RGS and RA who do fast and efficient work and are well worth the asking price if you are an artist or label that wants a very fast turn around time.

So it just goes back to what the artist/label is looking for in an authoring group :)
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    I await when someone here posts "We got 'em!".
  • DLCquickplayDLCquickplay Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    Whenever we're considering going less than 5%, we just do it for free.

Also, at one point Kario was considering paying $1,000 up front for a song. Can't beat that.
    edited September 2011
    DLCquickplay;4508900 said:

Also, at one point Kario was considering paying $1,000 up front for a song. Can't beat that.
    Since he never did, yes you can.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2011
    DLCquickplay;4508900 said:

We do some songs for free, and have offered to pay to 'license' songs we really liked if the artist or label really wasn't interested in the RBN.

But our 'standard' fee was 5%.

Heck whatever gets more artists into the game I say go for it.

If they want a truckload of red m & m's I'm game :D

But back on topic, just find the authoring group that fits what the band is looking for and then go from there :)
  • DLCquickplayDLCquickplay Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    Catch, I just want to point out that you have no idea if TAG is the cheapest authoring company, you don't know what all other companies charge, it's not knowledge that's usually public. You shouldn't parade your bias around as fact.

What ThatAuthoringGroup is doing, just stating what TAG practices are without comparing it to other company practices of which he's not fully aware, is a better approach.
  • LesFleursLesFleurs Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    As no one has come out and said "I would like to takeover from here" while providing a reason. I'm going to go ahead and ask "ThatAuthoringGroup" to do so. If you're willing to take over, could you send me a pm with the name you'll be contacting him as, and I'll shoot you his email.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    LesFleurs;4509269 said:
    As no one has come out and said "I would like to takeover from here" while providing a reason. I'm going to go ahead and ask "ThatAuthoringGroup" to do so. If you're willing to take over, could you send me a pm with the name you'll be contacting him as, and I'll shoot you his email.

Are you sure that's the best idea? No offense, I think TAG is awesome and I have bought all the songs they've put out, but they've got such a huge back catalogue that if they could manage to get a deal with them it would be a long time before anyone could expect any of the tracks to surface in playtesting.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4509306 said:
    Are you sure that's the best idea? No offense, I think TAG is awesome and I have bought all the songs they've put out, but they've got such a huge back catalogue that if they could manage to get a deal with them it would be a long time before anyone could expect any of the tracks to surface in playtesting.

It's the age-old balance. You get cheap, quick, and good. Pick two. RGS/RhythmAuthors are expensive, but really good and pretty quick. TAG's really cheap and pretty good (on the whole), but they're rather slow. I'd like to think we're a median group- not the greatest, not the cheapest, not the fastest, but not bad in any aspect either. Chart Toppers is pretty similar.

I don't know anyone that goes cheap/quick/bad; trying to go "bad" just ends up ruining your "quick" in review anyway.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    Good point, I'd rather have the songs take a while and be high quality than never happen or come out quickly with shoddy charts.
    edited September 2011
    To be honest, we've been in talks with a label who has some of The Raveonettes' work. Wouldn't take much to ask about it.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    Catch-22;4508728 said:
    TAG is by far the cheapest authoring group

I'm free. BEAT THAT!
    edited September 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4509331 said:
    I'm free. BEAT THAT!

Well then, if we extrapolate, that means your songs will never come out. :P
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4509403 said:

made me laugh, thanks :)

and yeah, Noble's been one to go "hey these guys told us to screw ourselves about the RBN last time we contacted them. lets offer to pay them this time!"

he has a hard time letting go.
    edited September 2011
    Zemanator;4509409 said:
    made me laugh, thanks :)

and yeah, Noble's been one to go "hey these guys told us to screw ourselves about the RBN last time we contacted them. lets offer to pay them this time!"

he has a hard time letting go.

Sheesh, I felt like I was going overboard contacting Clap Your Hands Say Yeah three times.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4509403 said:

Lulz.
  • LesFleursLesFleurs Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    I've put TAG in contact with The Raveonettes. Thanks everyone.
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4509306 said:

Eh, right now our back catalog is in peer review and playtesting. ATM we only have 5-10 songs waiting on first builds but that's only because most of our recently licensed material hasn't arrived yet.
    edited September 2011
    LesFleurs;4509524 said:
    I've put TAG in contact with The Raveonettes. Thanks everyone.

Well we've already been in talks with one their labels about Rock Band Network while attempting to get another song.
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4509330 said:
    To be honest, we've been in talks with a label who has some of The Raveonettes' work. Wouldn't take much to ask about it.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4509590 said:
    Well we've already been in talks with one their labels about Rock Band Network while attempting to get another song.
    Labels can, and have, worked with multiple authoring groups at the same time.
    edited September 2011
    DragoonXD;4509595 said:
    Labels can, and have, worked with multiple authoring groups at the same time.
    Ah, oh well.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Not to redirect this from the deeply fascinating discussion of the minutiae of authoring group procedures, but if any of you lot *do* land the Raveonettes, please consider asking for the track "Candy." It is delightful.

(and I kid; I love you guys).
  • LensnartLensnart Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    I don't really have anything to add except that no matter who puts out the Raveonettes stuff, I will buy all of it on Day 1.