Could I work with an authoring group?

DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
edited October 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I'm already having three songs, and I was thinking how I could just do it all myself, but that's what I thought when I first heard of the Rock Band Network, then I saw how much money it took. Plus, I don't have an XBox 360. (But I'm getting closer to being able to buy one.)

Plus, I was thinking about how much I could do by charting other peoples' songs. It would be great! But I don't have an XBox GOLD account for previewing the song, or that AppHub to even upload a song.

Anyway, the only time I would be in the RBN for the money is if it were MY songs. If I were an authoring group, I would do it all for free, and give the band all the money we earn from the RBN.

I have done charting for fun on a Rock Band Clone called Frets On Fire (They use the same MIDI stuff as Rock Band does, so I use REAPER).

SO, HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
1.) Could I work with an authoring group? I do real well as an author. And I'll join for free, I really don't want a cut of the price unless it's my song. The joy of just working on a song, knowing I charted some or all of it is all I need. I really enjoy authoring.

2.) If I do work with an authoring group, is it ok if I contact a band in joining? I know a couple out there who would want to be in the RBN. Plus, I do want to chart some of it.

I have read the Docs and everything. I know what and what not to do. I just like the joy of working with the groups, not too much of the money unless it's my song.

Comments

• Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited October 2011
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    Dogmatic2020;4511227 said:
    I sent you a PM.

I replied. I just wanted to know about the costing options.
    dlcquickplay.com said:
    1. We could take a percentage of the sales from your song (as low as 5%). You pay nothing upfront! If you choose this option we will forward revenue to you as it becomes available, minus our percentage.

2. We could take a small upfront fee (never more than $100, it depends on how complex/long the song is). You get to keep all revenue earned from your songs.
    I need to understand this because I don't have the widest vocabulary.

So, if I contacted a band, I would give them two options:

1. So, you wait until the song becomes available to have to pay if you want a cut of the price, or is it free if you want a cut of the price? (Which one, or if neither, what does it mean?)

2, If you want the whole money, you have to pay, but it will be no more than $100.

I just wanted it to be clear in case the band doesn't understand.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4511238 said:
    I need to understand this because I don't have the widest vocabulary.

So, if I contacted a band, I would give them two options:

1. So, you wait until the song becomes available to have to pay if you want a cut of the price, or is it free if you want a cut of the price? (Which one, or if neither, what does it mean?)

2, If you want the whole money, you have to pay, but it will be no more than $100.

I just wanted it to be clear in case the band doesn't understand.

1. We don't make any money until the song goes on sale. Band gets to keep 25% of the revenue when the song(s) hits the store.

2. We make money as soon as we get the stems. Band gets to keep 30% of the revenue when the song(s) hits the store.

So far number 1 is the most popular option.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2011
    I could always use a drum author...

But seems like you found someone willing to accept your offer, so I'll best be on my way.