If I made a song where I played the drums with three drumsticks

atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
edited October 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Would the RBN allow it to be charted like it was played or would there have to be a separate (3x sticks) version?

Comments

• HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited October 2011
    If you used your left foot to play the hi-hat, would that be charted, Trent?
  • dansolodansolo Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    If you listened to music outside of Rock Band you would realize that most people have two feet, but not three hands, although that is more commom with drummers, myself, Tommy Lee:p

Hi hat already is charted, you're thinking of guitar hero
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    I mean, like, using two drumsticks in one hand to play a standard hi hat beat while hitting various toms woth your other hand.
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    it would just be one standard version, and the hats would be reduced out for playability. A lot of the more ridiculous chaotrope songs have parts that would otherwise require three sticks; some of the songs have snare+tom+crash hits, some have snare+cym+cym, hits, and some have 3 different cymbal hits at once.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2011
    can't wait to have to download the normal version, 2x bass version, 3 sticks version and 2x bass 3x sticks version :P
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and say no, but if serious you could make a video of it on youtube and demonstrate how it is ideally played.

From HMX Lachesis:
    To clear up some confusion here....

We weren't planning on doing 2x bass pedal songs in RB3. (In fact, the first 2x bass pedal songs were authored in the RBN1 era, so they technically showed up in RB2 as well as RB3. And we definitely weren't doing them in RB2.) Consequently, we didn't build any support in for double bass songs.

However, the RBN authoring community felt that there was a demand for 2x bass pedal songs. They asked us if they could do some songs charted this way as an experiment. We considered their request and said it was OK as long as they were clearly and consistently labeled. The community discussed the matter and voted on the (2x bass pedal) terminology for indicating double bass.

As it turned out, the experiment was a success and there definitely was a market for these songs. We're glad that the community was able to find a way to meet this demand even though it wasn't explicitly part of RB3. Yes, it causes some confusion from time to time ("what does 2x bass pedal mean?")- but, for the most part, people don't have a problem with it.

I think it would have been a mistake to refuse the community's request, even if it wasn't an intended feature. I'm glad the RBN authors took initiative and brought this new level of charting to the game.
    edited October 2011
    Zemanator;4518399 said:
    it would just be one standard version, and the hats would be reduced out for playability. A lot of the more ridiculous chaotrope songs have parts that would otherwise require three sticks; some of the songs have snare+tom+crash hits, some have snare+cym+cym, hits, and some have 3 different cymbal hits at once.
    True, but HMX reduces drums/guitars/etc that are programmed and impossible, but they didn't reduce things like the dragonforce songs since they were actually played by a person (unlike the chaotrope sons)
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    All songs must be playable on a stock kit and stock kit = 2 sticks. :p I really don't think there would be any point in established another variation for people to get confused over.
    edited October 2011
    atalkingfish;4518411 said:
    True, but HMX reduces drums/guitars/etc that are programmed and impossible, but they didn't reduce things like the dragonforce songs since they were actually played by a person (unlike the chaotrope sons)

even if you record yourself playing on a real kit with three sticks, it will still be reduced for playability and there will only ever be one version.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2011
    (2x bass pedal) (3x sticks) (Original version) (RB3 version) (with Billy Currington)
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4518423 said:
    (2x bass pedal) (3x sticks) (Original version) (RB3 version) (with Billy Currington)
    and another version where 2 people play on 1 drumkit with 7 sticks?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4518423 said:
    (Vault Edition)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2011
    DragoonXD;4518461 said:
    (Vault Edition)
    That contradicts (Original Version).
    edited October 2011
    (Original Vault Edition)
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited October 2011
    If you have any places with 3 or more simultaneous drum pad hits, the compiler program for the RBN will fail to compile:
    Magma Compiler said:
    ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): 3 simultaneous drum pad hits at [X:X:XXX]; maximum is 2 pads plus kick
    MIDI Compiler: Done.
    ERROR: Project Compiler: Midi compiler failed.
    edited October 2011
    What if there were never three hits at once, but a pattern would be nearly impossible with two sticks, like left hand flamming in alternation with a floor tom hit rapidly.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    Do you have three arms? I can't see how someone with two arms can play something that's impossible to play with two sticks, because even if you use three sticks, you still only use two arms to drum.
    edited October 2011
    atalkingfish;4518495 said:
    What if there were never three hits at once, but a pattern would be nearly impossible with two sticks, like left hand flamming in alternation with a floor tom hit rapidly.

most of the chaotrope songs already have patterns like that. if the pattern is impossible to play, it would be reduced.
    edited October 2011
    How many people here actually want to play a pattern played with three sticks?
  • edited October 2011
    DragoonXD;4518522 said:
    How many people here actually want to play a pattern played with three sticks?

I don't even want to play 2x bass.
    edited October 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4518530 said:
    I don't even want to play 2x bass.

neither did I, then I tried it, and my god is it ever fun.

as for 3 sticks, I never want to
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 2011
    DragoonXD;4518461 said:
    (Vault Edition)

What are Vault Editions as I recognised a few Rush songs being labelled with it?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2011
    grumblevolcano;4518559 said:
    What are Vault Editions as I recognised a few Rush songs being labelled with it?

Alternate takes or extended versions, I guess.
    edited October 2011
    Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it. If you can get a simple hi hat beat going with one hand (and two sticks) suddenly you have whole 'nother stick to work with.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2011
    grumblevolcano;4518559 said:
    They were unreleased versions(The Trees has a different speed for the intro, Working Man has a different second solo) that Rush found digging through their collection.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    dansolo;4518352 said:
    If you listened to music outside of Rock Band you would realize that most people have two feet, but not three hands, although that is more commom with drummers, myself, Tommy Lee:p

Hi hat already is charted, you're thinking of guitar hero
    Hi-hat is not already charted! Open hi-hat is frequently charted, but there are a lot of songs where the high-hat is being opened and closed where it's not charted at all (nor could it be) like Kickstart My Heart.
    edited October 2011
    It is a little inconsistent, just like anything that has been done thousands of times.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    dansolo;4520091 said:
    It is a little inconsistent, just like anything that has been done thousands of times.
    No, it's not inconsistant at all! Hi-hat pedal has never been charted!
    edited October 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've seen hi hat pedal charted before when there's nothing else playing. If anything, it's gotta be on some RBN songs.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2011
    We've been though this before. He thinks that double bass is the only thing missing from any pro instrument. Guitar Hero's use of double bass makes people think it's more important than it really is.