The Official Grand Theft Auto Five Thread

BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
edited December 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
First Trailer

Second Trailer

Michael/Franklin/Trevor Trailers

Original announcement from the Rockstar Twitter.

Update 11/2: Trailer released on Rockstar's website and YouTube.

Update 11/3: Official announcement from the Rockstar website:
"We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California."
Update 7/12: Two new GTA:V screens.

Update 10/30: GTA:V officially set to release "Spring" 2013

Update 11/8: GTA:V Game Informer Cover Article detailing many of the specifics.

Update 11/14: Trailer #2

Update 1/31: GTA:V release date delayed to 9/17/2013

Update 4/30: Character trailers

Update 5/2: Worldwide GTA:V Preview. Lots of information and screens here.

Update 7/10: Official Gameplay Video

Update 8/15: GTA Online Reveal

More updates to follow!

Comments

• FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited October 2011
    Bulzeeb;4532087 said:
    but V is gonna be hard to live up to IV in my book.

I thought IV was a step down from San Andreas.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited October 2011
    I must be one of the few who couldn't get into San Andreas... I tried numerous times to play it, but I just couldn't... Of all the GTA games I bought, San Andreas is one of 2 games I didn't finish...
  • edited October 2011
    The only GTAs i could ever get into were both of the Vice Citys. I've played all of them (except for the China Town ones) and none of them were as fun as either Vice City.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4532560 said:
    I thought IV was a step down from San Andreas.
    I never played San Andreas all the way through. I remember it was great as well, but I've just had too many funny moments and great memories in GTA IV when friends and I would just play on my cheats file and rotate on deaths.

- Friend playing IV for the first time.
    - I help him spawn a helicopter
    - He's flying all over the place but eventually gets pretty high up
    - My brother yells "Quick! Hit triangle!"
    - He does.
    - Great laughs were had and a tradition was born.

I know V will probably grant some great moments too, both inside and outside of the game, so I'm looking forward to it, regardless.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2011
    I hated the GTAIV engine, so I hope they change it. A lot.
    edited October 2011
    Hey cousin! Wanna go bowling?
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    "For the last time, Roman, I don't want to go fu***** bowling!"
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    Awesome, I've been waiting "patiently" for quite awhile (as I'm sure the rest of you have).

As long as they don't make me hang out with my cousin anymore...
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4532666 said:
    I hated the GTAIV engine, so I hope they change it. A lot.

If you haven't played the previous games very recently, I recommend booting them up. The engine is nearly unplayable now. I enjoy some sense of realism.

Yet if the engine they use is anything like Red Dead or LA Noire (Team Bondi , I know), then ew. Wasn't a fan.

I am surprised that Rockstar is calling it GTA:V at all, since in the past, a number has suggested a new engine.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    I can't wait for the trailer :) i'm so excited!
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited October 2011
    Meh, if this is ANOTHER san andreas game i will pass on it like greazy diarrhea. Rock Star is too unoriginal nowadays anyways; "oh look, ANOTHER underwhelming sand box game".
    edited November 2011
    Just about 14 minutes until trailer is revealed :)
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2011
    GTA IV absorbed me so much and the time spent with friends was unforgettable. I can't wait for the trailer!
    edited November 2011
    So after watching it... Looks like a mix between Vice City and San Andreas, and from the looks of it, it seems that Tommy from Vice returns (isn't that Ray Liotta's voice?).
    edited November 2011
    are you blind? that is clearly NOT a mix of Vice City and San Andreas....it's San Andreas to the max. And that's NOT Ray Liotta's voice. The voice in the trailer sounds hispanic.

this game is just a total waste. i won't even bother with it.
    edited November 2011
    Looks like it's another San Andreas (based on the Vinewood sign).

Frankly I would've wanted to see a GTA based in a fictional Hong Kong, or even Chicago.

Ah well, back to Saints Row.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    Meh, not incredibly impressed. Another Los Angeles Rockstar game. I was hoping it'll at least be a different place this time. Oh well...
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    Awesome. I enjoyed San Andreas more than any other GTA game. Very excited.
    edited November 2011
    I did think the trailer itself was underwhelming. Not nearly as gripping or tense as the GTA:IV teasers.

Still looks epic though, looks like Rockstar is back to making big environments.
  • PbatemanPbateman Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Vice City is still my favorite and San Andreas was my least favorite. Hoping this one can come close to VC, but probably not since it seems set in the modern day.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    I want GTA V to be a little more zany than IV was. IV was my least favorite GTA game in part because of how mega serious it was. Also, Liberty City is the most boring of all GTA cities. The Gay Tony expansion was a huge step in the right direction in my opinion.
    edited November 2011
    UPDATE: Watch the GTA 5 Trailer World Premiere to work out if you think this rumor is true.

Thanks to an anonymous tipster we’ve got our hands on what could prove to be detailed information on Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA 5, GTA V). Whether it is true or not we’ll have to wait and see, so take this as a rumor, but so far the information provided doesn’t seem to be all that far out there.

According to the person behind this information they have an NDA with Rockstar which they have obviously decided to violate. Again this is rumor although could prove to be true in the future. Some of these bullet points might be considered to be spoilers. The quote below is SIC.

The protagonist is Hispanic and his name is Adrian

It takes place in San Andreas in the year 2012. The Mayan end of the world thing is parodied a lot because of this.

You start out in Los Santos and are in your rivals turf. Varrios Los Aztecas after getting beat up and robbed

The game revolves around money in a big deal. I’d reveal the big idea but I don’t want to ruin it.

Multiplayer is in again. There are a couple of new game modes, co-op story and 32 player game modes for consoles and 64 player for PC, PC also includes dedicated servers

Pc comes out on launch and is being ported by Leeds. From what they’ve shown us it is optimized much better than GTA 4

San Andreas includes all the same cities from GTA SA and this time they have all become a bit bigger as well as much more detailed.

Gang turf wars are back. This time not only the general gang are in charge but different sets such as 57th Ballas or the Eastside Azteca. The have their own graffiti. You can tag up stuff with custom sprays too.

In the end your protag dies once again just like in RDR. Afterwards you play as his brother who inherits the money.

“The Money” I refer to comes from a massive drug trade that shipss to San Andreas. It is fought over a lot throughout the story and it comes with lots of money. It has ties to your family so it becomes a bigger deal.

The timeline continues off of GTA 4. It is reference a lot. I’m not really sure whether Niko dies but he’s mentioned at least twice.

Car modding is back so is lowriding of course.

There are 9 radio stations. It features a range of music. Some of the rap is new, some is old. There’s a better selection than GTA4 though IMO.

Military has returned in the 5 star wanted level except they are referred to as the National Guard.

Cover system is upgraded and players more smoothly

The moral decisions you saw in GTA 4 have more effect on the story now. There are a total of 4 unique endings 2 bad, 2 good. Whether protag dies in all of them you’ll just have to figure out since the endings are actually pretty cool.

More girlfriends

Parachutes

Fun cheats are back!

http://botchweed.com/game-news/grand...etails-leaked/
  • edited November 2011
    I've never really gotten into the GTA games, but after how much I've enjoyed RDR and LA Noire, I think I might give this one a try.
  • SneakylooterSneakylooter Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    I sure hope it takes place in San Andreas but Vice City is cool too.
    I didn't like New York very much, it felt too closed in.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited November 2011
    that trailer gave me chills.

officially stoked.
    edited November 2011
    Oscar-Rio;4537930 said:

Looks like the source has been pulled. :p

As much as I'd like, I wouldn't be sure about a lot of those details. I don't think Rockstar would recreate the state of San Andreas so identically (with all the cities from GTA:SA, etc), and those bullets focus on a lot of specific details yet don't talk much about general concepts. (Sounds more like a wishlist to me)

Plus, I don't buy for a second the quote "The game revolves around money in a big deal. I’d reveal the big idea but I don’t want to ruin it."

If this person is leaking all this info, why would they bother to hold anything back simply for the sake of spoilers?

Then again, the link is gone now, so either someone from Rockstar didn't want a bunch of B.S. floating around, or this person hit a few (or more) points on the head.

Either way, thanks for posting.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Yay! Just watched the trailer. After thinking that, since it's being called GTA V, my hopes for another San Andreas were shot down, I was proven wrong (but in a good way). I recognized San Andreas in every single scene of the trailer. And the Vinewood sign plus the Los Santos spray-paint on the underpass made it pretty obvious. SO STOKED!!
    edited November 2011
    Pitch-Black;4537990 said:
    Yay! Just watched the trailer. After thinking that, since it's being called GTA V, my hopes for another San Andreas were shot down, I was proven wrong (but in a good way). I recognized San Andreas in every single scene of the trailer. And the Vinewood sign plus the Los Santos spray-paint on the underpass made it pretty obvious. SO STOKED!!

Well, the rest of San Andreas isn't confirmed yet. All we've seen is Los Santos.

Then again, after watching the original GTA:SA trailers, I realized that only Los Santos was shown in that first trailer as well. Only the second and third trailers show San Fierro and Las Venturas. :D
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited November 2011
    The trailer didn't really change my opinion on the game either way, though I suppose that's a good thing. I'll still be picking this up most likely.
    edited November 2011
    Der_Lex;4537937 said:
    I've never really gotten into the GTA games, but after how much I've enjoyed RDR and LA Noire, I think I might give this one a try.

I still highly recommend GTA:IV if you're curious. I'm sure you can get it on the cheap in a used game store or online.

The first few 3D GTAs were fun, but goofy. GTA:IV is a masterpiece of gaming, if I do say so myself.