The Official Grand Theft Auto Five Thread

Comments

• SneakylooterSneakylooter Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    I sure hope it takes place in San Andreas but Vice City is cool too.
    I didn't like New York very much, it felt too closed in.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited November 2011
    that trailer gave me chills.

officially stoked.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2011
    Oscar-Rio wrote: »

<Wall o' text>

Looks like the source has been pulled. :p

As much as I'd like, I wouldn't be sure about a lot of those details. I don't think Rockstar would recreate the state of San Andreas so identically (with all the cities from GTA:SA, etc), and those bullets focus on a lot of specific details yet don't talk much about general concepts. (Sounds more like a wishlist to me)

Plus, I don't buy for a second the quote "The game revolves around money in a big deal. I’d reveal the big idea but I don’t want to ruin it."

If this person is leaking all this info, why would they bother to hold anything back simply for the sake of spoilers?

Then again, the link is gone now, so either someone from Rockstar didn't want a bunch of B.S. floating around, or this person hit a few (or more) points on the head.

Either way, thanks for posting.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Yay! Just watched the trailer. After thinking that, since it's being called GTA V, my hopes for another San Andreas were shot down, I was proven wrong (but in a good way). I recognized San Andreas in every single scene of the trailer. And the Vinewood sign plus the Los Santos spray-paint on the underpass made it pretty obvious. SO STOKED!!
    edited November 2011
    Yay! Just watched the trailer. After thinking that, since it's being called GTA V, my hopes for another San Andreas were shot down, I was proven wrong (but in a good way). I recognized San Andreas in every single scene of the trailer. And the Vinewood sign plus the Los Santos spray-paint on the underpass made it pretty obvious. SO STOKED!!

Well, the rest of San Andreas isn't confirmed yet. All we've seen is Los Santos.

Then again, after watching the original GTA:SA trailers, I realized that only Los Santos was shown in that first trailer as well. Only the second and third trailers show San Fierro and Las Venturas. :D
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited November 2011
    The trailer didn't really change my opinion on the game either way, though I suppose that's a good thing. I'll still be picking this up most likely.
    edited November 2011
    Der_Lex wrote: »
    I've never really gotten into the GTA games, but after how much I've enjoyed RDR and LA Noire, I think I might give this one a try.

I still highly recommend GTA:IV if you're curious. I'm sure you can get it on the cheap in a used game store or online.

The first few 3D GTAs were fun, but goofy. GTA:IV is a masterpiece of gaming, if I do say so myself.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2011
    GTA:IV is the worst one since they did GTA:London. Don't get confused.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    I stopped playing because I was tired of my cousin calling me and talking about BEEG AMERICAN TEETEES all the damn time. I hope they don't have any of that in V.
    edited November 2011
    Oscar-Rio wrote: »
    GTA:IV is the worst one since they did GTA:London. Don't get confused.

You keep saying that, but I don't know what the heck you're talking about. Especially since you didn't seem to like San Andreas either. Do you just not like innovation and expansion?
    Cubecubed wrote: »
    I stopped playing because I was tired of my cousin calling me and talking about BEEG AMERICAN TEETEES all the damn time. I hope they don't have any of that in V.

People still harp on that?! You know you can hang up phone calls or skip a cut scene, right?
    edited November 2011
    Update: Official announcement from the Rockstar website:
    "We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California."

I already know others including myself are going to be wondering how far along "full development" is.

Also seems to suggest that San Fierro and Las Venturas will not be a part of this game.
  • PbatemanPbateman Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    You keep saying that, but I don't know what the heck you're talking about. Especially since you didn't seem to like San Andreas either. Do you just not like innovation and expansion?

Oscar tends to confuse his own opinions with facts.

You know what would be awesome? If they brought back the properties from Vice City. Buying properties, doing missions for them and then collecting money off of them was sweet.
  • edited November 2011
    I should be able to borrow IV from a friend, if I ever find the time to play it. Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus/Ico will take up the rest of my year, and next year there's already things like the Silent Hill HD collection and Mass Effect 3 on the horizon (and I'll probably end up borrowing Skyward Sword and a Motion Plus thingy from a friend at some point as well).
  • edited November 2011
    Meh, didn't care for the first Bioshock much, and never picked up the second.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Good on ya for not picking up the second, it was pretty much garbage.
    "So, what else can we do to make Bioshock 2 a unique sequel?"

"Well, you know how in Bioshock, the player had that segment where they had to protect a Little Sister while she collected Adam? Let's make the player do that for the entire game!"

"Brilliant!"

So far that's the only aspect of B2 that annoys me, but some things were improved, like the hacking bits. To quote Yahtzee:
    ...and apparently the universe is about to explode because a quick-time event has actually improved a game.

Another thing he touched on that I now remember from refreshing my memory by watching his review in order to get the above quote ver batim was the Big Sister. They seem to lack moral recognition since they attack you even if you saved a Little Sister, so why not have them attack only if you harvest the Little Sisters? Seems like a fair trade: More Adam due to "Evil" choice = Boss fight.

But this is about GTA V, so I'll say the trailer is looking pretty good.
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited November 2011

People still harp on that?! You know you can hang up phone calls or skip a cut scene, right?

I for one would be bored with GTA if every game was a Vice City/3/TeeTees remake with new textures. If people really wanted to play those, they should get LC or VC Stories, those weren't bad games (Well, LC wasn't at least). Just let people complain and whine and enjoy what you like.

I am hoping we get something good out of V in terms of multiplayer and a good story. IV was great fun, as were the expansions. Freeroam with my buddies still has good fun to it. I wish Multiplayer outside of freeroam won't be as poor as it was in IV.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Mildly interesting that it's being called GTA V. Since it seems to be taking place in Los Santos (and assuming from official Rockstrar comments that San Fierro and Los Venturas are not going to be involved) I understand why it's not being called San Andreas 2. However, haven't all the previous titles with a number taken place in Liberty City? Not that it matters, I just think it's interesting. Still stoked that it's taking place in at least a part of San Andreas. And since they are saying it's the "biggest" they've done yet they'll have had to expand Los Santos and the areas around it substantially for that to be the case. Definately looking forward to seeing what effect a decade or so has had on Los Santos.
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    Mildly interesting that it's being called GTA V. Since it seems to be taking place in Los Santos (and assuming from official Rockstrar comments that San Fierro and Los Venturas are not going to be involved) I understand why it's not being called San Andreas 2. However, haven't all the previous titles with a number taken place in Liberty City? Not that it matters, I just think it's interesting. Still stoked that it's taking place in at least a part of San Andreas. And since they are saying it's the "biggest" they've done yet they'll have had to expand Los Santos and the areas around it substantially for that to be the case. Definately looking forward to seeing what effect a decade or so has had on Los Santos.

It also depends what they do story wise. If I recall correctly, the GTA 3 Era (3-Vice City-San Andreas-LC/VC Stories) is a completely different universe, and IV is it's own. Should that be the case, we may not even be in a familiar Los Santos.
    edited November 2011
    The numbered games indicate a new engine is used and usually a new universe. GTAIII, GTAVC, GTASA, GTAVCS, and GTALCS were on the GTA3 engine, just revamped a bit for each title. GTAIV was a brand new engine, and now it seems that GTAV is going to be a new engine as well, probably because Rockstar spent time reworking the engine with Red Dead Redemption and possibly LA Noire.

Either way, I'm kind of hoping that GTAV will tie into the GTAIV universe, although Michael Hollick (Niko's voice) won't be reappearing because he claimed he wasn't paid enough for his work on GTAIV.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    (3-Vice City-San Andreas-LC/VC Stories) is a completely different universe

Am I the only one who is completely mad about this?
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2012
    Gowienczyk wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is completely mad about this?

There are rumors both Tommy and CJ may be in the game. My guess is the new "universe" thing is just an excuse to explain a whole new layout and design of the city.
    edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521 wrote: »
    There are rumors both Tommy and CJ may be in the game. My guess is the new "universe" thing is just an excuse to explain a whole new layout and design of the city.

That's all I want cameos and hints at what became of CJ's empire, that's all. I still maintain San Andreas is the second best GTA game and my personal favorite.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    That's all I want cameos and hints at what became of CJ's empire, that's all. I still maintain San Andreas is the second best GTA game and my personal favorite.

I love the mechanics of GTA:SA, and I like the story and feel of Vice City the best.

If there were some way to mix the two together.
    edited July 2012
    and I like the story and feel of Vice City the best.

You a big Scarface fan? :p

Not to say San Andreas is wholly original either; it's half Boyz in the Hood and half mystery-thriller, haha.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    No I think Scarface is a horrible movie. I'm a big 80's fan, and I liked Tommy as a character.
    edited July 2012
    Ehfahq wrote: »
    No I think Scarface is a horrible movie. I'm a big 80's fan, and I liked Tommy as a character.

That's the first time I heard "I hate Scarface and love Vice City." usually since there's a huge connection and imitation of the latter to the former. I'll have to make note of this.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited July 2012

Lazlo was in GTA IV!!!
    edited July 2012
    Witticus wrote: »
    Lazlo was in GTA IV!!!

Mhm.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    That's the first time I heard "I hate Scarface and love Vice City." usually since there's a huge connection and imitation of the latter to the former. I'll have to make note of this.

I see the connection, but its way different than the movie is. And I had to sit through that movie so many times due to my step brothers thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread.