From the RBN to your iTunes

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited November 2011 in The Rock Band Network
For the last year and a half, the RBN has been a favorite source of new music for me. I just took a moment to count, and I've acquired the music of 20* artists that I discovered through the RBN.

How about you? Have any artists gone from your RBN library to your regular listening library? If so, who?

*Possibly 21, counting Van Canto. They're not in the RBN, but I discovered them while researching who was on tour with Amberian Dawn.

Comments

• ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited October 2011
    Hundreds.

As if RBN wasn't costing me enough, buying CD's and MP3s from iTunes is breaking the bank.

But I love music, so I might be a rare exception to the rule.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2011
    I'm having a hard time coming up with bands that I listen to regularly that I discovered via RBN...

The Riptides I guess, but really only one song. A few others get sporadic play. Most of the bands I like from RBN I already knew about.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I am too mathematically challenged to count that high.

A few I remember off the top of my head: Kay Hanley (and Palmdale and Letters to Cleo), Nothing More, Neonfly, Kings Queens & Fairytales, The Shazam, The Pursuits, Glass Hammer, Ludicra, Daath, Visqueen, Winter Crescent, Fallen Angel, Blackguard, Rose of Jericho, The Gufs, Stretford End, and many more.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    Well, there is that I'm King Timmy band that has the Radio Radio song that I downloaded after hearing it in Rock Band ;). Also, Freen in Green and The Dillinger Escape Plan, off the top of my head.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2011
    sounds like a crappy Elvis Costello cover band, he should probably just give up musicing
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    Pretty much every artist I've ever worked with has ended up on my iTunes, as well as a ton of others. Having free albums available helps as I don't have much pocket money. I haven't counted how many, but I've added hundreds of songs to my library thanks to RBN, and I know I'll end up adding much more.
  • edited October 2011
    Off the top of my head all i can think of is Anamanaguchi and Jukebox the Ghost but i'm sure there is more.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    I have the following albums/EPs (either on disc or MP3s):
    Amberian Dawn - River of Tuoni
    Amberian Dawn - The Clouds of Northland Thunder
    Bloom - Photosynthesis
    Bulletproof Messenger - Arm Yourself
    Children of Nova - The Complexity of Light
    The Downtown Fiction - Best I Never Had
    Free Spirit - Pale Sister of Light
    Nations Afire - The Uprising
    Pierce the Veil - Selfish Machines

As well as select tracks from a bunch of bands that I'm too lazy to list. I'm going to buy Rose of Jericho's "Out of the Maze" album as soon as I decide if I want a disc or a digital copy.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited October 2011
    My actual list: Andromeda, The Apples in Stereo, Band Of Horses, Black Gold, Dance For The Dying, Drivin N' Cryin', Free Spirit, Freen in Green, James William Roy, Jukebox The Ghost, The Main Drag, MeTalkPretty, Mystakin, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Rose of Jericho, Scratching the Itch, Single White Infidel, Sophie B Hawkins, Steam Powered Giraffe, We The Kings, and Zoo Seven. (Picked up the Zoo Seven just now because I discovered the album was free.)

My "buy this someday" queue includes Amberian Dawn, Van Friscia, The Gracious Few, The New Regime, Mafia Track Suit, Free Electric State, Ultra Saturday, Kiev, Firewind, and several other artists I can't think of offhand.

This, by the way, is why I always wince when people announce there's "nothing but metal" in the RBN. It has great metal, but also so much more....
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I've actually gotten two different albums on Amazon in just the last couple months, just from prospective RBN projects.

....which means I can't actually say who they were. >_< Lachesis knows one though.

I do jump on as many free albums as I can. Buying albums, you enter the question of "do I want to spend my money on this".... free albums, I'll gladly suck up some of Time Warner's bandwidth for that!
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    I am far too poor to afford to buy music, but bands I've listened to a lot on YouTube/Spotify/similar after first hearing them through RBN include:
    Children of Nova
    Kiev
    Anamanaguchi
    Jukebox the Ghost
    Myrath
    Stagehands
    Rose of Jericho
    Scratching the Itch
    Ultra Saturday
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    Only band I've gotten into thanks to RBN is Jukebox the Ghost. Can't wait till the songs from the first album hit the store!
    edited October 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4532171 said:
    Lachesis knows one though.
    o.o

O.O

^.^
    Oscarvarium;4532189 said:
    I am far too poor to afford to buy music, but bands I've listened to a lot on YouTube/Spotify/similar after first hearing them through RBN include
    Free streaming music is awesome!

I think Apples in Stereo was my first RBN purchase, and that was after I realized I'd hit their website something like 20 times because I couldn't get their music out of my heaaaaaad. (Might have been the Main Drag instead - I caused John Drake to think he was hallucinating once because I was playing his music very quietly through speakers.)
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    HMXLachesis;4532199 said:
    o.o

O.O

^.^

With a reaction like that, 1) you're acting like my ex-boyfriend, which is hilarious, 2) I suspect you think I mean Van Canto, with how much recent squee there's been, but I'm alluding to the email from last week. (Not the foreign group, though apparently they're considering re-recording in English to get around the language barrier.)

(This is what we in the industry call a "tease".)
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    Just Jukebox the Ghost and Ultra Saturday for me.

I can't possibly afford even 1 album from every band I've enjoyed on the RBN.
    edited October 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4532222 said:
    2) I suspect you think I mean Van Canto, with how much recent squee there's been, but I'm alluding to the email from last week.
    Awwwww. (I can dream....)

I liked the foreign group and I hope they do decide to rerecord in English. As for the other band you mentioned in said email - while I'm personally unfamiliar with them, I know of at least one Harmonixer who's really hoping you can pull it off.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    I have...
    Amberian Dawn
    Myrath
    NeonFly
    Jukebox the Ghost
    A Talking Fish
    Not very much, but there are several RBN songs that I just love listening to while playing

My friend who plays Rock Band with me has been introduced to tons of bands through my library. Rose of Jericho, Timeless Miracle and many others he's told me he's gotten.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    As soon as I discovered Felsen I quickly purchased and downloaded the entire Accidental Drowning album, and am so glad I did.
    Oh, and while it didn't expose them to me(obviously), after getting involved in the RBN I picked up Bang Camaro's first album
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    PowerGamer990;4532157 said:
    I'm going to buy Rose of Jericho's "Out of the Maze" album as soon as I decide if I want a disc or a digital copy.
    UPDATE: I opted for the MP3 album. Less monies and I get it today instead of a week from now. And while I was already on Amazon, I went ahead and purchased Raven Quinn's MP3 album as well. So, that's two more for my list.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I feel stupid for forgetting. RBN exposed me to Flogging Molly, after which I quickly purchased Float
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I want Scream Ceremony by Order of the Crimson Wizard, but you can't download or purchase it anywhere. :(
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    NoThru22;4532793 said:
    I want Scream Ceremony by Order of the Crimson Wizard, but you can't download or purchase it anywhere. :(
    This! If anyone knows where I can buy that song, I'd love you forever.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    Well I just bought Halcyon Way's Building the Towers. So add them to the list.

Jukebox the Ghost
    Ultra Saturday
    Halcyon Way's

I might buy their new album too, since it's only 6 bucks on iTunes.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited October 2011
    I do listen to Stephanie Hatfield's album on occasion. There's Rodrigo y Gabriela too but I did know them already before RBN.

There have been instances where quite a few bands I've first found on RBN got some album airtime, but hardly do I ever come back for them (Free Spirit, Amberian Dawn, Bornholm). My main source for discovering music isn't Rock Band on RBN, at least not anymore.

But yeah, Stephanie Hatfield and Hot Mess was the only gold nugget that came solely from RBN.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I, of course, have all of Amberian Dawn's albums from iTunes, typos and all. I have Nothing More's song Fat Kid along with a few others.
  • non_zeronon_zero Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    My list (besides the ones I've worked with personally) looks like... Parry Gripp, Dillinger Escape Plan, Ronald Jenkees.
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    I've only recently started to realize the potential for RBN as a music discovery tool (around the time they sorted new releases by genre in the main forum's thread :p ) But I got Jukebox the Ghost's album from there, dug on that quite a bit. Also, I didn't splurge on the whole album, and I already had Super Villain and Show Me What You've Got, but when TAG listed the Powerman 5000 tracks they were authoring, I looked up Do Your Thing. And after seeing the video for Time Bomb, I kinda want that too. I don't know, I think the samples—even with 90 seconds on the iTunes Store now—just don't do the songs justice sometimes. Either that or the note highways are secretly hypnotic. :p

Prior to that, though, it was just an avenue to get stuff I already liked (Apples in Stereo, Hold Steady, Kay Hanley, JoCo, etc.)
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 2011
    Well, I listened to The Shins, OK Go and Band of Horses before RBN. But I listened to them more after they came to the game.

RBN did introduce me to Jukebox the Ghost, though, and I am very grateful for that.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited October 2011
    DackAttac;4533306 said:
    Either that or the note highways are secretly hypnotic. :p
    That's probably more true than you know. Seeing a song broken down into its component parts like you do in Rock Band gives a deeper kind of appreciation for the composition of each part, which can make a song appeal to you in ways other than just the sound.
  • b4mvb4mv Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    Amberian Dawn
    Affaince
    Sybreed
    Pierce The Veil
    LoveHateHero
    Shylo Elliott
    Halcyon Way
    I Am Abomination
    Morgawr