The November 2011 RBN Artist of the Month is...

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited December 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Free Spirit!

Free Spirit is a hardworking and equally hard playing rock band hailing from Finland. Their music offers strong musicianship, soulful vocals and the essence of the great acts from the hardrock scene. Undercurrents of Celtic and folk music blend seamlessly with powerful guitars, soaring harmonies and melodies that will get stuck in your head for days at a time.

Free Spirit has eleven songs in the Rock Band Network and has been chosen as the November 2011 Rock Band Network Artist of the Month.

Since the day Free Spirit first appeared in RBN, this band has been a favorite both internally and externally, and it's a delight to announce this award.

Comments

• ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    gratz to them, their music is nice to listen to, but I don`t enjoy them at all in the game
  • KemirochKemiroch Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Gee kinda lukewarm responses so far.

Congratulations, Free Spirit! Although you've pretty much been my RBN artist of EVERY month, I'm glad you're getting official recognition at last. I hope this month also results in your 'killer app' song, Preacher Man. I will then lobby for November being named Free Spirit Month.

Also, don't be sad that because your not teh metulz with the finger-blistering charts, people denigrate you in awards threads. My band of vocals, guitar, and bass has an absolute blast playing your songs in each and every playlist.

Keep up the good work, and keep the RBN support coming!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Kemiroch;4541673 said:
    Also, don't be sad that because your not teh metulz with the finger-blistering charts, people denigrate you in awards threads.

wtf? Just because certain people don't like boring songs doesn't mean they only like teh metulz. I mean, don't get me wrong. Like, 80% of their songs make up for the lack of playability solely by being amazing to listen to while playing, but that does not mean they don't lack playability.
  • RockGamerRockGamer Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Congrats to Free Spirit on this amazing honor! Obvious bias aside, Free Spirit's tracks have always been among my personal favorites to sing at Rock Band karaoke nights.

Well deserved for their dedication and their tireless support of the Rock Band Network.

- Miguel
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    'Bout damn time. :D:p

Free Spirit was the band that convinced me to give RBN a chance. At first, I was kind of put-off by all the unknowns that populated the RBN store, but then I listened to the audio sample of "Far Away from Heaven", and then I downloaded the demo, and then I bought the song. After that, I realized that the RBN could be a great tool for discovering new music, and it has been, for me. If it hadn't been for Free Spirit, I may have never given the RBN the attention it deserves.

Thanks to Free Spirit for making such great music, and thanks to RockGamer for bringing that great music to Rock Band. :)
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Well deserved, "Far Away from Heaven" is one of my Top 10 RBN tracks.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    So I guess Alien Ant Farm never responded?
  • RycheMaidenPS3RycheMaidenPS3 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Congrats to Free Spirit! Such an amazing band, well deserved Artist of the month. I have purchased and will continue purchasing every single track of theirs in RBN. Their songs are so much fun to play.

Oh, and don't pay attention to "atalkingfish", he loves to push his personal opinions as facts.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Kemiroch;4541673 said:
    Gee kinda lukewarm responses so far.
    I apologize that I don't think Free Spirit are a godsend to the RBN like everyone else seems to. And it has nothing to do with them being not-metal.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    DragoonXD;4541966 said:
    I apologize that I don't think Free Spirit are a godsend to the RBN like everyone else seems to. And it has nothing to do with them being not-metal.

In the world of Rock Band, if you don't like a band that everyone else likes, it's an open invite for everyone to criticize your maturity.

That being said, I love Free Spirit

That "that being said" being said, you're completely allowed to not like Free Spirit
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    I don't have any of their songs.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    lvmathemagician;4542191 said:

Me neither, but they're awesome to listen to, and I'm goin' to get their stuff asap.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4541652 said:
    Such a descriptive subject.

But... alas... Free Spirit is amazing, and definitely deserve recognition for their music.

That being said, they aren't the most playable bands on the game if you're not on guitar (and even then sometimes...)
    I've loved them on Drums for the most part, though I understand most of their stuff hasn't been amazing, but I'm not an amazing drummer, and Vocals is pretty fun and too, especially now with harmonies.

It all depends on what you're looking for. I equate them a lot to Bon Jovi, as their sound is somewhat similar, and in many ways, the charts compare pretty well too.

This is well deserved. Free Spirit is a favorite at my house and at my parties, and it's thanks to RBN that I purchased the album (sadly, online, I wish I could get a physical disc, but that's hard in the US), and I think the only band my party members have also purchased songs for (outside of RB) from playing them at my parties.

I have hopes that in honor of this award, we get a bunch of their songs ported over to the PS3, and I think HMXLachesis may have hinted as much in the PS3 song request thread.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    Tego1in;4541919 said:
    So I guess Alien Ant Farm never responded?

We've had some delays here (apologies!) but we should have their response up before the end of the week.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    Incidentally, these two links

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214404

and

http://www.rockband.com/blog/rock-band-murder-mystery-at-intercon-k

document the start of my personal affection for Free Spirit. (Before that, I enjoyed their music, but now it's got a bunch of sentimental value.)

By the way, Pankrazzo, thank you for the recommendation!

(The links also demonstrate that I am a giant geek, but I'm sure that can be overlooked. Right?)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited November 2011
    Congrats Free Spirit..
    I thought they were a young band that just wanted to bring back the old rock sound.. come to find out they weren't LOL.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Band's pretty "eh". But whatever. They have a couple really good songs.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    HMXLachesis;4542491 said:
    By the way, Pankrazzo, thank you for the recommendation!

*high five* ;)
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    lvmathemagician;4542191 said:

What are you waiting for?
    edited November 2011
    Free Spirit Is by far my favorite band involved in RBN. Their songs are some of the most fun to play over any on RB3. In fact, only "Foolin" has more plays than "Cry of an Eagle" on my xbox. Congrats to Free Spirit! I hope this will bring the release of their second album now in the works.
  • RycheMaidenPS3RycheMaidenPS3 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    bjyaritz;4542633 said:
    Free Spirit Is by far my favorite band involved in RBN. Their songs are some of the most fun to play over any on RB3. In fact, only "Foolin" has more plays than "Cry of an Eagle" on my xbox. Congrats to Free Spirit! I hope this will bring the release of their second album now in the works.

1. Thank you, bj, for recommending Free Spirit to me way back in the day. Bought their album, been listening to it since then, and bought all the "available" tracks on PS3.

2. You are a spoiled brat! You and your damn 360, with 8 Free Spirit songs instead of 3 and a half.....

3. They are my favorite RBN artist as well, without a doubt.

4. Their songs are some of the most fun to play in RB3, without a doubt. Totally agree with you.

5. If you get a chance, check out the band called "91 Suite".
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    bjyaritz;4542630 said:
    What are you waiting for?

Something I like.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Well deserved. I've been excpecting for Free Spirit to get this honor. I hope this means a week with more than one song from them (or several consecutive weeks with one song).
    edited November 2011
    I'm still waiting for "The Stranger" to come out, which is slowly becoming my favorite.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    Bront20;4543265 said:
    I'm still waiting for "The Stranger" to come out, which is slowly becoming my favorite.

I assume you mean "Strangers"? :) It's in PR right now.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Yay Free Spirit! Definately one of my very favourite bands on the RBN - love all their songs!
    edited November 2011
    Oscarvarium;4543326 said:
    That's what I get for reading the title off my phone once and never confirming it. (I actually do own the album. It's officially the first thing I ever purchased in iTunes)
    edited November 2011
    Oscarvarium;4543326 said:

Anything else Free Spirit making the store during artist of the month?
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    bjyaritz;4545033 said:
    Anything else Free Spirit making the store during artist of the month?
    Strangers and Preacher Man are both in PR, could well come this month but you never know. Radiant Light is still in the pipeline.
    edited November 2011
    Oscarvarium;4545319 said:
    Strangers and Preacher Man are both in PR, could well come this month but you never know. Radiant Light is still in the pipeline.
    I think Drummers will like Radiant Light. It scares me on drums just listening to it.