More Jonathan Coulton on the way!

dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
edited January 2012 in The Rock Band Network
From his email newsletter:

"It's awfully quiet here on this mailing list, but only because I've had my head down doing stuff. I barely have time to leverage social media platforms to enhance my brand! Here are some things I think you should know:

NUMBER SIX
Rock Band versions of a few select songs from Artificial Heart are coming."

Just figured I should mention it since I've seen many requests for him recently, and I'm personally excited as well.

EDIT (11/22):
jjdude1;4552210 said:
Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton ft. Sara Quin hits playtest
12/3:
Dogmatic2020;4560704 said:
"Good Morning Tucson" has shown up in playtesting.

Comments

• LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2011
    Nice! We aren't really lacking any of my favorites of his songs, but I have been hoping to see some of his stuff come out with playable harmonies, and the newer, band-heavy songs should all be entertaining to play.

Want You Gone is a good song and I'd definitely buy it but I wouldn't necessarily prioritize it over any of his other stuff.
  • edited November 2011
    LuigiHann;4543144 said:

Want You Gone is a good song and I'd definitely buy it but I wouldn't necessarily prioritize it over any of his other stuff.
    Neither would I but you know it would be a huge seller and those are always good for the RBN.

Really though i would LOVE to get more from Smoking Monkey and i can't tell you how much i want I Crush Everything (its the last song on the album!). I really haven't listened to Artificial Heart enough to give an opinion on what songs i would like but i certainly enjoyed the album version of Want You Gone and the Sara Quinn version of Still Alive.

Also Curl, SkyMall, and I'm Your Moon.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Please don't tempt me to type out what songs I still want. I'd break the nonexistent text limit.
  • edited November 2011
    lol i had to stop myself at those 3.

Might as well just copy/paste the discography.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4543150 said:
    Please don't tempt me to type out what songs I still want. I'd break the nonexistent text limit.
    I don't think JoCo has that many songs. Or does he...
    edited November 2011
    DragoonXD;4543157 said:

He has a lot of songs. Way more than even on iTunes.

But I'd feel the need to go into why I'd want each song. It was an exaggeration, but still :p
  • edited November 2011
    DragoonXD;4543157 said:

He has 6 full length albums, 2 EPs, and tons of "unreleased" stuff.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Cautiously waiting these new songs. I do have all of his previous songs which have made it to PS3, so it's possible I'll like these as well.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    It would be awesome if he planned to release a rb3 version of Shop Vac. Seriously, DAT HARMONIES!
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    DragoonXD;4543157 said:

Don't go there, or it'll be "Jonathan Coulton Network" instead of "Amberian Dawn Network". And it will make me sad if we are suddenly flooded in JoCo haters.

(Couldn't resist!)
    edited November 2011
    HMXLachesis;4544328 said:
    Don't go there, or it'll be "Jonathan Coulton Network" instead of "Amberian Dawn Network". And it will make me sad if we are suddenly flooded in JoCo haters.

(Couldn't resist!)
    <3
  • edited November 2011

(Couldn't resist!)

It would be worth it if it meant getting as many JoCo songs as we have Amberian Dawn songs.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    raynebc;4542988 said:
    I'd love to have the Portal version of "Want You Gone".
    I'd rather not have that song. Sure, I love the song and think it would be very fun, but it's also a giant spoiler for people that haven't played Portal 2. With Still Alive that was not much of a problem, since in that game story wasn't so important, but Portal 2 is much more story-oriented.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    As long as one day it is "The Free Spirit Network" too!
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4543150 said:
    50,000 characters is a very real limit.
    CloudWolf;4544500 said:
    I'd rather not have that song. Sure, I love the song and think it would be very fun, but it's also a giant spoiler for people that haven't played Portal 2. With Still Alive that was not much of a problem, since in that game story wasn't so important, but Portal 2 is much more story-oriented.
    Portal 2 came out in what, April? If you haven't played it, don't preview/download the song. Solved.
    edited November 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4544560 said:
    50,000 characters is a very real limit.
    I never saw a character limit thing so I assumed the site didn't have one :p
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4544565 said:
    I never saw a character limit thing so I assumed the site didn't have one :p
    I just checked what this site has, and apparently it only has 16,000. Unfortunate.
    edited November 2011

(Couldn't resist!)

As long as one day it is "The Free Spirit Network" too!
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Free Spirit doesn't have enough songs to take over the RBN like that. They need to write like the wind!
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    CloudWolf;4544500 said:

But "Still Alive" is a much more spoilerific song.
    "Want You Gone" doesn't spoil much(if any) when taken out of context
    edited November 2011
    DragoonXD;4544589 said:
    Free Spirit doesn't have enough songs to take over the RBN like that. They need to write like the wind!

2nd album is in the works!
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Sweet, more JoCo. Consider them bought. Whatever happened to I Feel Fantastic, though. That was in testing and then disappeared...
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2011
    I'm all for JoCo. It's sorta a shame the PS3 didn't get his last song.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    Can I use this thread/announcement as an excuse to once again voice my desire for Jonathan Coulton's rendition of "Baby Got Back"?

Because I just did.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4544560 said:
    Portal 2 came out in what, April? If you haven't played it, don't preview/download the song. Solved.

Agreed. But I also agree "Want You Gone" doesn't really spoil all that much. Did anyone really worry Chell wouldn't get out alive? And I knew even before completing the single-player game that GlaDOS would be, ahem, "still alive" at the end; it was no secret that the two-player game was set after the single-player game, storywise. The only character's fate that really leaves is Wheatley's, and the song doesn't spoil what becomes of him.

But still, if you don't want any clue about how it all ends, don't buy the song. And don't read this post. :D
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    T-Hybrid;4546913 said:
    Can I use this thread/announcement as an excuse to once again voice my desire for Jonathan Coulton's rendition of "Baby Got Back"?

Because I just did.

I 2nd this!!!
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    First of May!

Make it happen.
  • edited November 2011
    T-Hybrid;4546913 said:

Because I just did.

From what i've seen it seems that Sir Mix-A-Lot would be cool with it but i'm sure it would be a legal pain in the ass. Not to mention that they would have to get his label on board with it.

But yes it would be awesome to have his cover.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    FujiSkunk;4547081 said:
    Agreed. But I also agree "Want You Gone" doesn't really spoil all that much. Did anyone really worry Chell wouldn't get out alive? And I knew even before completing the single-player game that GlaDOS would be, ahem, "still alive" at the end; it was no secret that the two-player game was set after the single-player game, storywise. The only character's fate that really leaves is Wheatley's, and the song doesn't spoil what becomes of him.
    There's also a line about a certain side-character in Want You Gone that is actually a big spoiler.
    edited November 2011
    Jorm;4547523 said:
    First of May!

Make it happen.

"Outdoor *quack*-ing starts today!"