Question about keys authoring

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited November 2011 in The Rock Band Network
As I understand it, charts for basic keys are slightly different depending on whether the player is using an actual keyboard or is doing keys-on-guitar (similar to how Pro Guitar charts are slightly different for the Squier versus for the Mustang). Is it up to the author to make this slightly modified chart? Or does the game figure it out on its own? How difficult/time consuming is it to make the modified chart, if it's the author's responsibility?

Comments

• ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    I assume you mean the hammer-ons?

The game does this automatically. It eliminates extended sustains (sustains that continue while another note is played) and turns every note that's a 16th or closer into a HOPO, even chords. In the case of chords, it even turns the same consecutive chord into a HOPO if it's close enough (see Du Hast for an on-disc example and Cool Concoction for one that happens in our catalog). There may be weird cases where it won't turn every close note into a HOPO (I think this happens in Dark Escape in a couple places), but for the most part the engine will do that.

Short answer: We only author one basic keys chart. The game does the rest.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited November 2011
    Reaper automatically creates HOPOs when the notes are placed close enough together. When playing with a keyboard, the keys chart naturally ignores the HOPOs
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Keys-on-guitar also get rid of overlapping sustained notes. (automatically, of course)
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    Another question - does the author determine which phrases show up in the 'learn a song' trainer?
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4548904 said:
    Another question - does the author determine which phrases show up in the 'learn a song' trainer?

RBN songs don't get "learn a song" sections. At the very least, there's no way I know of making any. The only sections we can control are practice sections.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    Oh they don't? Why not I wonder. I thought I had done one. I wonder what song I am thinking of.