Don't be discouraged by haters to get your song into RB.

DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
edited November 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I know a lot of people have gone through this, but don't feel discouraged to get your music into Rock Band 3. I know the reasonable reasons, like too much work and stuff like that, but if you get some trolls on you, think: "Am I going to let these n00bs get to me?" Of course, there are people who try to help you out to improve, so listen to those people! But there are also people who are complete D*****s. If these people are telling you to stop making music, and your life sucks, and you have no life, that doesn't mean it's true. They aren't your parents.* The only reason you should stop doing what you are doing is if you don't enjoy it. But if you want your music in Rock Band and make money and live life, you have to enjoy it, that's the only reason to keep doing what you love. As long as there are some people who like your music, and you like your music, you are in the right place. This is why I make videos and songs, is because that's what I love.

Now if it's the Harmonix admins, then you better listen to what they say or you're going to get into some big trouble. These are just my words of wisdom. Haters are going to hate, that's all they are going to do.

*Listen to me even if they ARE your parents

Comments

• SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    The only "music" I objected to was that noise stuff. No, literally noise. It was disturbing to think someone could enjoy that stuff.

Anything else I don't mind. There's no way I'd hate on someone getting in their music to RB.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, let your heart guide you. Except A Talking Fish, his music sucks.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Wait, you're not Muse. BOO, YOU SUCK! STAY OFF THE RBN!
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    "Key lesson from working on the RBN: if you are an artist, there is someone out there who will love what you create. You may have to go looking for them, and you may trip over a lot of people who don't like your creations along the way, and some of them won't be particularly nice about it. But there is an audience for you, and you will make their day/week/month/year when they find you."

-- me, November 2, on Facebook
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    HMXLachesis;4551303 said:
    "Key lesson from working on the RBN: if you are an artist, there is someone out there who will love what you create. You may have to go looking for them, and you may trip over a lot of people who don't like your creations along the way, and some of them won't be particularly nice about it. But there is an audience for you, and you will make their day/week/month/year when they find you."

Like me discovering Felsen; Terribly underrated, but it made my week when I found them
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    TubaDude49;4551476 said:
    Like me discovering Felsen; Terribly underrated, but it made my week when I found them

Me - ATalkingFish the Cheesy Pop song. For some reason that song makes me smile every time I hear it.
  • AGLSolutionsAGLSolutions Unsigned
    edited November 2011

Wish this were 160 chars max so i can retweet! ;)
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4551202 said:
    The only "music" I objected to was that noise stuff. No, literally noise. It was disturbing to think someone could enjoy that stuff.

Strange, I usually disturb people for other reasons.

But to the point, this is something that happens to anyone and everyone who puts themselves out there, no matter what the format. RBN authors get it too. Anyone who "does", who draws in any kind of attention, is gonna get some angry reactions. The successful ones aren't those that ignore the anger entirely, or constantly deflect it, but rather find that one ounce of merit, that one area where they truly can improve, and turn the anger into something resembling constructive criticism.

"Haters gonna hate" is a meme for a reason, after all.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011

This extends (for me) to songs even I can't stand. I am not at all proud of my abomination "Night," but the videos for it still get likes and the such.
    edited November 2011

"People who quote themselves are pretentious"

-- me, November 21, on http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225941
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4551620 said:

-- me, November 21, on http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225941

I knew you were pretentious.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited November 2011

Anything else I don't mind. There's no way I'd hate on someone getting in their music to RB.

I enjoy noise.
    Problem?
    edited November 2011

Well, if you hated that, then you would have loved this.
    edited November 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4551586 said:
    Strange, I usually disturb people for other reasons.

Oh yeah. Wasn't there something you put out that could easily be called noise?

Nononono. I'm talking about that one dude that made a thread about him bringing his music to the RBN. He mentioned that he knew people would hate on it, but it's what he enjoyed blah blah blah and it was literally nothing but noise. I'd get the same effect from just simply scratching my nails onto a chalkboard for 3 and a half minutes and calling it a song.
    edited November 2011
    TubaDude49;4551775 said:
    Well, if you hated that, then you would have loved this.

I'd buy that for a dollar.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4552007 said:
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

Me too. Putting that song in Rock Band makes the exact same statement as including the song on a CD or in a concert, and I really do enjoy the idea.

As for noise, I guess it depends on the noise. Ambient noise can be quite pleasant. :P
    edited November 2011
    LuigiHann;4552047 said:
    Me too. Putting that song in Rock Band makes the exact same statement as including the song on a CD or in a concert, and I really do enjoy the idea.

As for noise, I guess it depends on the noise. Ambient noise can be quite pleasant. :P

Ambiance is one thing, this "music" was loud, ear-splitting and just plain disturbing. A bunch of "QERRRRRRRRRRRRR!" and "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOEAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!".

No substance or thought process, just pure noise. I can accept "noise" if there's at least some sort of consistency, melody, rhythm, SOMETHING.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4551620 said:
    Bah. I wasn't going to be able to say it any better now than I did then - and I didn't feel like having anyone calling me on my unattributed repetition.
    edited November 2011
    HMXLachesis;4552151 said:
    Bah. I wasn't going to be able to say it any better now than I did then - and I didn't feel like having anyone calling me on my unattributed repetition.

I would have just attributed it to some random name, made it feel more authentic. Like, "you should work very hard on your songs in the Rock Band Network, they are nothing to be scoffed at. And if you don't believe me, you should know that Abraham Lincoln said almost the exact same thing..."
  • edited November 2011
    "Complaining about quotations is solely the domain of the incorrigible pedant." - Mark Twain

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein

"You know, I have my doubts about the validity of at least one of these quotes mentioned here." - Kurt Russell
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2011
    “The key to making up Oscar Wilde quotes is to add '~ Oscar Wilde' at the end.”
    ~ Oscar Wilde
    edited November 2011
    "Quotes are awesome."

Me, just now, because I'm a pretentious a******.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    LuigiHann;4552358 said:
    ~ Oscar Wilde
    Thom Yorke quotes are way better:

http://thomyorke.atspace.com
    edited November 2011
    LuigiHann;4552358 said:
    ~ Oscar Wilde
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. "
    ~Oscar Wilde
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    "'Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. '
    ~Oscar Wilde
    'I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.'
    ~Oscar Wilde"
    ~TubeDude49

"I couldn't resist to quote someone. :P"
    ~Me
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4555060 said:
    /thread