11/29 DLC Discussion - Roadrunner Pack 02 & Starship & Jane's Addiction Pro Upgrade!

edited December 2011 in Rock Band
Der_Lex;4551769 said:
Hey gang,

Fans of blistering (prog) metal tracks and classic rock anthems are going to be in for a treat!

First up, Dream Theater make their long-awaited return with a track off of their 11th studio album, A Dramatic Turn of Events, released earlier this year. “On the Backs of Angels” is an epic track, nearing almost nine minutes, with multiple time changes woven throughout this intricate metal composition. Fans looking to go a bit deeper can upgrade “On the Backs of Angels” to Pro Guitar and Pro Bass for $0.99.

Opeth’s “Ghost of Perdition” from their critically acclaimed 2005 album, Ghost Reveries, will also be available in the pack.

The three-song pack is rounded out by Trivium’s “In Waves” from the band’s latest record of the same name.

Starship’s ‘80s classic, “We Built This City,” will also be available on the Rock Band Music Store. Off of 1985’s Knee Deep in the Hoopla, the track – with its memorable, sing-along chorus – reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

A Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrade will also be available for Jane’s Addiction’s “Jane Says,” a track from the band’s first studio album, 1998’s Nothing’s Shocking.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system (November 29th, 2011):

• Dream Theater – “On the Backs of Angels” X
• Opeth – “Ghost of Perdition”
• Trivium – “In Waves”
• Starship – “We Built This City”

Pro Guitar/Bass Upgrades for Legacy Songs

· Jane’s Addiction – “Jane Says”

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system November 30th)

(The Trivium single and the Roadrunner Pack will be delayed on the Wii for several weeks. Nintendo flagged an issue at the last minute and we will have to resubmit and with the upcoming holiday schedule we're expecting them to release in early January. The Dream Theater and Opeth singles should be available individually on the Wii in the meantime. We'll post updates in future DLC announcements.)

The Dream Theater, Opeth, and Trivium tracks will be available as “Roadrunner Records Pack 02,” and all songs will also be available for purchase individually on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii™. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for “Roadrunner Records Pack 02”
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **
Der_Lex;4552534 said:
And here are the Xbox 360 RBN Releases for Thursday, 11/22/2011:

Metal

Halcyon Way - "Inversion (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
Jake Dreyer - "Harmony of the Spheres" (160 MSP)
The Haunted - "Trenches" (160 MSP)

Rock

Lino Gonzalez - "Traffic Jam" (80 MSP)

And the PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 11/29/2011 (North America) and Wednesday, 11/30/2011 (Europe):

Underoath - "In Division" ($1.99) - Metal
Sleeping with Sirens - "If You Can't Hang" ($1.99) - Emo
Damone - "Conquer Me" ($1.99) - Rock
Free Spirit - "Until the Night (RB3 version)" ($1.99) - Rock
Karla Davis - "Whiskey's Got A Job To Do" ($1.99) - Country

Opeth!

And three other really cool tracks! :)

Seriously, though, I strongly urge those of you that aren't into 'growly vocals' to give Ghost of Perdition a shot, because after the first minute or so they only come back for two short intervals in the remainder of the song... the rest has 'clean' vocals and ten minutes of prog metal instrumental awesomeness.

O, and also...
tomahawk_72;4552224 said:
If it's Porcupine Tree or Opeth I'll eat my own morning turd.
PICS/VID OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Discuss!

Comments

• kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    dog037;4552830 said:

We didn't need the Starship song.
    EVERYONE NEEDS THE STARSHIP SONG.

So excited.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    It's nice to see so many highly requested bands show up in one week. I'm not huge on growly vocals, but Opeth may be one band that can overcome that and get in my library. My brother's the big fan, I'll have to get his thoughts. Haven't heard the new Dream Theater or Trivium song, will listen later. Starship is okay, I have a few friends who are into that song, but I'm not sure I'll get it.

The Roadrunner packs are a cool idea and they represent a lot of bands I really like...hope to see more at some point!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    Whelp, wasn't expecting Starship. I'll be getting the whole thing for sure (except the Jane's Addiction, I don't even have those songs).
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    maybe on Starship if someone at my skihouse wants it. otherwise pass again.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    dog037;4552830 said:
    OPETH!

We didn't need the Starship song.

The Starship song is the very reason why people still play Rock Band at parties 4 years after release.
  • Daniel_devonnDaniel_devonn Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    all of it , a pack full of stuffies i like!
  • TomAceTomAce Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    Holy cow Ghost of Perdition.....GREAT choice by Opeth!!!! Hope there's more to come!
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Nothing for me this time. I might buy "We Built This City" just for laughs and because of its party value.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Only a 3 pack?

Well at least it's a pretty good one. In Waves may be there and that's not that great, but I've been really enjoying On the Backs of Angels and some Opeth is pretty sweet.

Starship I might be way more excited for, actually. If it were a different DT choice, I'd be more for that.
  • arkienarkien Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    Just disappointed there's no double bass in Dream Theater song... is that really "pro-drums"? Guitar Hero drums are more pro than RB! I'm a drummer, I play on a big electronic drum, I have double bass pedal, and I want to play double bass in RB! Why Harmonix doesn't create an expert+ mode as in GH?
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    I'm glad the Dreamtheater track wasn't "Pull Me Under"
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    That RR 02 pack is rather disappointing with the lack of Megadeth & Machine Head, but the Starship single makes up for it.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Very excited for We Built This City. Love cheesy music from the 80s!
    edited November 2011
    arkien;4552845 said:
    Just disappointed there's no double bass in Dream Theater song... is that really "pro-drums"? Guitar Hero drums are more pro than RB! I'm a drummer, I play on a big electronic drum, I have double bass pedal, and I want to play double bass in RB! Why Harmonix doesn't create an expert+ mode as in GH?

What, you haven't seen Pro Drums before?
  • TomAceTomAce Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    I was hoping the DT track was Instrumedley but I'll take any new DT. I also hope this is the beginning of tons of Opeth tracks for rock band.
  • arkienarkien Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4552850 said:
    What, you haven't seen Pro Drums before?

I'm new to RB, got it 2 days ago with keyboard. Is there no double bass in any RB song?
  • KaneRobotKaneRobot Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Roadrunner but no Type O Negative? Ultra fail.
  • BrutalBrianBrutalBrian Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Rock the f**k on! Opeth FINALLY comes to RBN! And Starship too!

/me is very very happy! :)
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    TomAce;4552851 said:
    I also hope this is the beginning of tons of Opeth tracks for rock band.

I'm not getting my hopes up. With Opeth's songs being so long and complex, they've got to be a real pain to chart.

Nevertheless, the arrival of ANY Opeth DLC is very welcome news. Thanks, Harmonix. Now get to work on Nightwish!
    edited November 2011
    arkien;4552853 said:
    I'm new to RB, got it 2 days ago with keyboard. Is there no double bass in any RB song?

On Xbox, some songs that come through RBN are labeled with "(2x Bass Pedal Version)." However, through official channels, no there's not. And with how many songs are in the library (plus on-disk songs), it'd be hard as hell to give them all a double-bass option. Sorry.
    BrutalBrian;4552855 said:
    Rock the f**k on! Opeth FINALLY comes to RBN!
    Typo there, this is RB3, not the service that allows artists to get there song in the game themselves.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Dream Theater, Trivium and Starship for me. Never much of a fan of Opeth.
  • edited November 2011
    TomAce;4552842 said:
    Holy cow Ghost of Perdition.....GREAT choice by Opeth!!!! Hope there's more to come!

Yes, I agree... I had fully expected The Devil's Orchard to get picked to promote the new album, and although that's a pretty good song too, I'm even happier with my absolute favorite song from the albums that they've released under Roadrunner. Since Opeth is one of my top three favorite bands, I'd be psyched with any song in the game, but getting a ten minute epic that's a personal favorite is even better. Guess my years of nagging HMX (well, mostly HMXHenry) behind the scenes finally paid off. ;)

Starship and Dream Theater are definite buys for me as well. For Trivium, I'll have to see how fun the keys track is, but I'm not a huge fan of the band.

The only sad note this week is that I'm finally breaking the RBN DLC streak I've had going on since September, in which I bought at least one song each week... but this week there's nothing I'm interested in (this is one of the weakest Free Spirit tracks, IMO). But any hint of sadness is quickly wiped away by the awesomeness of finally having some Opeth in RB.
    edited November 2011
    Listening to Opeth right now. How was I not a fan of this before?!? This is simply amazing!
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited November 2011
    Called it. On the Backs of Angels. Not my first choice, but HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nunchuck charlienunchuck charlie Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    Just listened to RR2 songs... a lot of good songs on roadrunner records, unfortunately these aren't my cup of tea. Maybe charts will be cool and entice me, but songs themselves are long, tiring and boring to listen to. Starship did make me laugh and I will buy, thank you.
  • edited November 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4552860 said:
    Listening to Opeth right now. How was I not a fan of this before?!? This is simply amazing!

Ghost Reveries, the album that this song is from, is a great starting point for Opeth. It has a nice balance of their proggy and their heavier stuff.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Der_Lex;4552859 said:
    Yes, I agree... I had fully expected The Devil's Orchard to get picked to promote the new album, and although that's a pretty good song too, I'm even happier with my absolute favorite song from the albums that they've released under Roadrunner. Since Opeth is one of my top three favorite bands, I'd be psyched with any song in the game, but getting a ten minute epic that's a personal favorite is even better. Guess my years of nagging HMX (well, mostly HMXHenry) behind the scenes finally paid off. ;)

Starship and Dream Theater are definite buys for me as well. For Trivium, I'll have to see how fun the keys track is, but I'm not a huge fan of the band.

The only sad note this week is that I'm finally breaking the RBN DLC streak I've had going on since September, in which I bought at least one song each week... but this week there's nothing I'm interested in (this is one of the weakest Free Spirit tracks, IMO). But any hint of sadness is quickly wiped away by the awesomeness of finally having some Opeth in RB.

Guys - when I am made a mod, I will bug HMXHenry for more cheesy 80's music.

Viva la Loggins!
  • TomAceTomAce Unsigned
    edited November 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4552860 said:

The first time I heard Opeth I felt the same way.....their catalog of music is staggeringly amazing.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    Isn't the Opeth track like 10:25-10:30? I wasn't expecting a 3 pack but a 3 pack of AMAZING! Though the Jane's Addiction upgrade was random. If anything was getting a Pro-upgrade to it, I would think Ocean Size or Pigs in Zen
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    As a person who's only heard Opeth's softer album and then a single off their newer album, Ghosts of Perdition is awesome. Like really awesome.

In Waves still kinda undermines this pack though.