NW will soon bring his new album to the RBN, SOME AUTHORS WANTED!!!!! :D

DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
edited November 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Ok, Rock Band 3 Authors, you just heard of my old school songs coming to rock band. They were made in GarageBand, which isn't really my selection for music making. I will be making my new Christmas album: "A Hard And Soggy Winter"!

This is your challenge, I will make an eleven to thirteen track album, and I will be making a few selections (Probably about a half of them) on which should go one Rock Band. I have already made my first three selections! (One: because it's the first track, and the first one done, and a preview of my step-up in songwriting, Two: The song that the album picture features, and Three: The song that has the same name as the album.) Your job is to author one of the songs of the album, Just say you wanna author one of the songs. (Only one) Then, we will talk and work out on how much of the price we'll each earn (I at least want 15-30% of the earnings out of the 30% we get, and the 70% we don't get.) After that, I will give you the source tracks, and that's it! You are off into authoring! YAY! (Oh, my name is Nathaniel Whitlock, by the way.)

Here are the songs:
Walking In A Winter Wonder Land (Author: N/A; YouTube Link*; No Author, here, yet.)
Snow Zombies (Author: DeferredGalaxy3)
A Hard And Soggy Winter (N/A)

* No, I do not usually act like this, well I do in my videos, but not in real life. lol

EDIT: I will have to talk to the authors first. I was focusing more on free authors, but I forgot to mention that. I edited the sentences so it wouldn't sound like a "Grab One Quick" kind of thing.

Comments

• atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    A few things:

It's a little late to be making Christmas music, by the time you're done recording the songs, Christmas will be almost here (if not already passed). The time it will take to author it and such will put it somewhere in the middle of summer. Unless you're planning on releasing it next winter.

Very few authors will author a song for free. I got incredibly lucky when That Authoring Group decided to author my song, and even more lucky when LHV wanted to author one too. Those are two songs and I think I'd have a hard time getting any more into the store without paying (unless I helped chart it with LHV, which may actually happen before too long).

It's going to be pretty hard to convince an authoring company to author a song solely because they're afraid of another authoring company taking it first, since, as I said, there are very few who author for free. Frankly, to this day, I'm surprised TAG saw any interest in my song (though I still am waiting on those gold toilets..) and LHV's interest was just sheer luck.

That being said, don't stop trying to get your songs in, if you want them in, that is, but I would suggest talking to some authoring groups before you start making announcement-type posts on the forums.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4554490 said:
    A few things:

It's a little late to be making Christmas music, by the time you're done recording the songs, Christmas will be almost here (if not already passed). The time it will take to author it and such will put it somewhere in the middle of summer. Unless you're planning on releasing it next winter.

Very few authors will author a song for free. I got incredibly lucky when That Authoring Group decided to author my song, and even more lucky when LHV wanted to author one too. Those are two songs and I think I'd have a hard time getting any more into the store without paying (unless I helped chart it with LHV, which may actually happen before too long).

It's going to be pretty hard to convince an authoring company to author a song solely because they're afraid of another authoring company taking it first, since, as I said, there are very few who author for free. Frankly, to this day, I'm surprised TAG saw any interest in my song (though I still am waiting on those gold toilets..) and LHV's interest was just sheer luck.

That being said, don't stop trying to get your songs in, if you want them in, that is, but I would suggest talking to some authoring groups before you start making announcement-type posts on the forums.

Never thought of it that way, about the free authors. Now that I think of it, I was surprised LHV would take interest in authoring three of my songs at once. Especially the one where I was off key. (Not the one I cancelled) I didn't know I'd get any people who even liked the music.

Maybe I should just plain ask some authoring groups. I know it would be too much if I did it all myself, but I guess I could have made it sound more of a favor-type thing, than a "HEY! TAKE THIS BEFORE OTHER PEOPLE GET IT! HURRY!"-type thing.
    edited November 2011
    I'm just saying that a lot of authoring groups require an up-front cost that can range from around $200-$2000, depending on how good* they are and how long/complex the song is

* good in this sense usually translates to how fast the song can be released and how willing they are to give you gold toilets.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    ...and even more lucky when LHV wanted to author one too.
    ...and LHV's interest was just sheer luck.
    DeferredGalaxy3;4554546 said:
    Now that I think of it, I was surprised LHV would take interest in authoring three of my songs at once.

Lemme explain:

When I see people post on here that they or a band the know want to put music on Rock Band, I wait a bit. If no authors come up, I simply step in, as no band should be rejected this opportunity. I've gotten a hold of a few other bands this way.

As with A Talking Fish, though, I approached him. I really thought that Cheesy Pop Song would be great, and wanted to author it. Little did I know that TAG already got that one, so I happily accepted (I Want to Go to) Space as the song I author. And it was a blast to do so.

If I weren't waiting on a gazillion songs to add to my hordes of unnanounced material, I'd happily do all three. As it stands, though, I'm pretty damned busy.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4554565 said:
    If I weren't waiting on a gazillion songs to add to my hordes of unnanounced material, I'd happily do all three. As it stands, though, I'm pretty damned busy.

That's why I'm finishing up the material of mine. But, I should be careful, I don't want to put too much on my hands. There are some bands I really want to work with, but I gotta get the three songs that you started authoring, the one I am completely authoring, and the one AGL has me doing.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4554723 said:
    That's why I'm finishing up the material of mine. But, I should be careful, I don't want to put too much on my hands. There are some bands I really want to work with, but I gotta get the three songs that you started authoring, the one I am completely authoring, and the one AGL has me doing.

That's exactly how I felt at first. I wanted to work with so many bands. Good news is, most of said bands are interested, and I'm even working on some of their songs right now. But it's so much. So be careful, and plan ahead.
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    atalkingfish;4554550 said:
    I'm just saying that a lot of authoring groups require an up-front cost that can range from around $200-$2000, depending on how good* they are and how long/complex the song is

* good in this sense usually translates to how fast the song can be released and how willing they are to give you gold toilets.
    Most of the authoring groups, if not all outside of RGS, are at least offering a revenue share instead of an upfront cost. I'm also somewhat convinced RGS is offering revenue share in some cases as well, but i could be wrong.

I do agree that approaching authoring groups as asking them to author your songs instead of something like this is the better idea.
    edited November 2011
    Zemanator;4555103 said:
    Most of the authoring groups, if not all outside of RGS, are at least offering a revenue share instead of an upfront cost. I'm also somewhat convinced RGS is offering revenue share in some cases as well, but i could be wrong.

I do agree that approaching authoring groups as asking them to author your songs instead of something like this is the better idea.

Actually, that is a very good point. Although most authoring groups I've seen don't offer straight up "don't pay anything and we'll take some out of the revenue" unless they're 100% sure it will sell well. Most go "pay half and make up the rest through revenue" or something similar to that.
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    well, of course some groups may put their price on the table as whatever will earn them the most money, but even then Its very likely they would change to what the artist wants (as long as its reasonable, obviously)
    edited November 2011
    Zemanator;4556382 said:
    well, of course some groups may put their price on the table as whatever will earn them the most money, but even then Its very likely they would change to what the artist wants (as long as its reasonable, obviously)

True, assuming they'll make money off of it.