So is RBN definitely never getting Pro Guitar/Bass?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited November 2011 in The Rock Band Network
As I recall, the party line when RBN2.0 and RB3 first rolled out was that it was unfeasible due to the limited number of testers who had Pro guitar hardware (a perfectly valid concern) and the complexity of charting (I'm not so sure that one's as valid), but that the issue would be revisited down the line. Has it been?

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    No, because there's still barely enough testers for songs alone, and we don't even know how many of those could accurately transcribe/review Pro guitar/bass charts.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    It has been revisited and decided against however there is never a "definitive" statements like that are always temporally qualified.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    HMX said they'd discuss it again a year or so after they first discussed it, if memory serves me correctly. However, if anything the number of testers in general decreased, and I don't know if anyone has a Pro Guitar.
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited November 2011
    Wouldn't they have to have mustang and squier testers? Edit: since the charts are different for mustangs and squiers.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2011
    With how little testers we have now, and I can only think of maybe three or four that would know how to properly test pro g/b,(and you'd need 6 to pass) and that is IF they have the pro guitars, AND how low sales are on standard RBN tracks, and the PRO G/B crowd is a fraction of the HMX audience...

I honestly don't see this ever happening.

Not enough testers, and no where near the sales to justify the amount of extra time it would take to author, and properly test the songs.

To top it all off, with the way XNA works I don't know if the pro track would be recognized by the original track as add on DLC like official HMX DLC. Seeing as how XNA sees each RBN track as it's own thing (otherwise we could just add pro drum charts to the original RBN1 songs that way).
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2011
    I take the point about "definitely" being a poor choice of words, but otherwise it seems pretty....definite, no?

Too bad. I'll be getting into Pro G/B (probably lean more towards the B - I just think it will be more fun) as of my next paycheck, and there's several RBN songs I'd've loved to play "for real."
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2011
    Pro bass is my favorite instrument after vocals. I would absolutely, absolutely love to play some RBN songs on pro bass.

Unfortunately, as people have indicated, the RBN's testing cadre just isn't prepared to test pro guitar and bass. Also, it would require significant development work for the RBN to support pro guitar and bass (just as it did for keys and harmonies). Furthermore, I think the audience would be so limited that it wouldn't be worthwhile.

As a result, while I can't say that we will "never" support pro guitar and bass on the RBN, I can say I would recommend against it. We have so many other exciting things in progress that, despite my love of the RBN, I don't think this would be the right use of our resources.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    I completely understand HMX's stance on the issue, although it is frustrating because I personally would love to chart, test and purchase pro upgrades for RBN songs. I do hope that at some point in the future it will become available and that if/when it does, it will be possible to upgrade old songs in the same way as official DLC.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    Oscarvarium;4555740 said:
    I completely understand HMX's stance on the issue, although it is frustrating because I personally would love to chart, test and purchase pro upgrades for RBN songs. I do hope that at some point in the future it will become available and that if/when it does, it will be possible to upgrade old songs in the same way as official DLC.

Same way I feel. I song I'm authoring right now would be epic on Pro Guitar. By epic I mean it will rip you apart ;)
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4555531 said:
    HMX said they'd discuss it again a year or so after they first discussed it, if memory serves me correctly. However, if anything the number of testers in general decreased, and I don't know if anyone has a Pro Guitar.
    I have a pro guitar (the Squier, so I couldn't test the Mustang chart) and I'm a former tester. However, I'm new to guitar so I wouldn't be comfortable testing pro guitar/bass at all.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    I'd like to point out that you wouldn't actually need a Mustang or a Squier or even any guitar to test a pro guitar/bass chart, although some kind of guitar would help. You'd just need some way of generating a pitch that you can play against the charted notes to make sure they are correct the RB keyboard, or even just a MIDI synth Reaper would do. A basic to intermediate knowledge of how to play a guitar would probably be required as well, to make sure that chords and jumps are physically feasible.

Personally I don't think it would be quite as much work as people seem to think, not too much more than testing pro keys. However, I'm not saying it would be easy or that it should be introduced any time soon. There are more than enough problems right now with 5-lane instruments without introducing another layer of work to do.