Have there been any bands that COMPLETELY changed their membership?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited October 2012 in History of Rock
I've seen lots of bands that changed nearly everyone, but had a guitarist or a singer remain constant for 30 or 40 years or whatever while the other positions rotated wildly. Anyone know of a band that started with certain people and years down the road contained an entirely different group of musicians, but still playing (and continuously) under the same name? Like the Law & Order of rock bands?

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2011
    Christian Death
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Metallica.

Bassist died.
    Guitarist replaced by a robot.
    Drummer was always just a puppet.
    Vocalist replaced by a table.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Heart. The Wilson sisters did not start the group, and while there were a few name changes at the beginning, the band was already calling itself Heart by the time Ann and Nancy joined. Now the Wilson sisters are the only ones left from the time they joined, which means none of the original members are currently on board.
    edited December 2011
    Little River Band.

The group that made "It's a Long Way There," "Lonesome Loser" and "Reminiscing" famous in the 1970s: Glenn Shorrock, Beeb Birtles, Graham Goble, Ric Fermosa, Roger McLachlan and Derek Pellicci.

The group that released 2008's We Call It Christmas: Rich Herring, Stephen Housden, Greg Hind, Chris Marion, Wayne Nelson, Kip Raines and Mel Watts. Of those, Nelson has been with the group the longest, since 1981.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited December 2011
    Chicago? Pretty sure they've done a full rinse more than once.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited December 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4570769 said:
    Chicago? Pretty sure they've done a full rinse more than once.

According to Wikipedia, four of the members have been there since the beginning.
    edited December 2011
    killer_roach;4570786 said:
    According to Wikipedia, four of the members have been there since the beginning.
    REALLY? Never knew that...
    edited December 2011
    Shocked the heck out of me as well.

Quite a few bands have had "all but one" turnover, but that's not the point here - after all, that's what inspired this question in the first place.
    edited December 2011
    Chicago has had a lot less turn-over than their reputation would suggest. If you don't count Peter Cetera, who actually joined the band after its initial grouping though before the release of their first album, only two of the original six are no longer with the band, and only one of those left in the usual sense. The other died, accidentally shooting himself.
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Deep Purple, maybe. MkI-IV?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2011
    The Hollies. Also, The Yardbirds, kinda.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited December 2011
    rosafloydguy;4570922 said:
    deep purple, maybe. Mki-iv?

paicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaicepaice
    edited December 2011
    Now that I think about it, Yes has done something like this, bar Squire.
    edited December 2011
    RosaFloydGuy;4572094 said:
    Now that I think about it, Yes has done something like this, bar Squire.

The OP mentioned how a lot of bands have seen all but one or two members get swapped. This thread is about bands that have fully recycled themselves.
    edited December 2011
    Although I don't seem to have exact information, it seems as though Art Zoyd has completely turned over at least two or three times, with the group being led now by somebody who appears to have joined the band in the late 90s or early 2000s (at which point they became more of an avant-garde electronic group).
  • ClamEatsCurryClamEatsCurry Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    The metalcore band Underoath has had an entire change in their history.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Surprised no one's mentioned Napalm Death yet. Shane Embury's been there the longest but didn't join until 6 years after the band's inception.
  • ThatLattyThatLatty Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    If you are willing to go outside of rock, girlbands have definitely done it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarbabes#Members
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Quiet Riot, with the relatively recent death of Kevin DuBrow. Also, Blood, Sweat, & Tears.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised to see that nobodies mentioned the Misfits yet. Contrary to popular belief, Jerry Only isn't an original member. The first line up consisted of Glenn Danzig, Dianne DiPiazza, Jimmy Battle and Manny Martinez. Currently, the line up is Jerry Only, Dez Cadena and Eric Arce.
  • sinan810sinan810 Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    Don't forget Megadeth, their record for most stable lineup is 6 or 7 years.
    edited January 2012
    sinan810;4588180 said:
    Don't forget Megadeth, their record for most stable lineup is 6 or 7 years.

Mustaine's been part of the band the whole time.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Thin Lizzy, but only if you consider their post-Lynott formations, which're more of a tribute bands. (Downey left briefly, which was the complete turn over)
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Hum Velvet Underground
    edited January 2012
    I was starting to wonder if Lynyrd Skynyrd had fully recycled yet. Surprisingly, Gary Rossington has been with every iteration, though he's the only one.
    edited January 2012
    Insane3;4613798 said:
    Hum Velvet Underground
    Their last album was really just Doug Yule. I didn't like it at all.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Molly Hatchet
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    RosaFloydGuy;4614528 said:
    Their last album was really just Doug Yule. I didn't like it at all.

Good, that's the way you're supposed to feel about it.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4563192 said:
    I've seen lots of bands that changed nearly everyone, but had a guitarist or a singer remain constant for 30 or 40 years or whatever while the other positions rotated wildly. Anyone know of a band that started with certain people and years down the road contained an entirely different group of musicians, but still playing (and continuously) under the same name? Like the Law & Order of rock bands?
    Say you have a hole in your favorite sock. You’d put a patch on it right? And if there was another hole, you’d add another patch. And so on and so forth, until all the cloth from the original was gone.
    Would it still be the same sock?

If a ship were to have a plank break off and replaced until every plank is replaced, is that still considered the same ship? What about if a new ship would be constructed with all of the original planks? Is that considered the original ship? How about compared to the ship with all replaced planks, which one is the original and what does that make the other one?

God, I loved 999.
    edited January 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4616371 said:
    Say you have a hole in your favorite sock. You’d put a patch on it right? And if there was another hole, you’d add another patch. And so on and so forth, until all the cloth from the original was gone.
    Would it still be the same sock?

If a ship were to have a plank break off and replaced until every plank is replaced, is that still considered the same ship? What about if a new ship would be constructed with all of the original planks? Is that considered the original ship? How about compared to the ship with all replaced planks, which one is the original and what does that make the other one?
    Why are you here if you can barely name bands at all?