Question about censorship

BravoGangUSBravoGangUS Unsigned
edited January 2012 in The Rock Band Network
This question is mainly about the song "All Signs Point to Lauderdale"

In the lyrics it goes:
"I hate this town. It's all washed up. And all my friends don't give a fuuuuu**"

However on the one released on RBN it just has "don't give a ____"

For profanity in lyrics, is it required that they are completely removed? Because I was wondering if they could have just removed the "ck" sound at the end and have the audio only play "don't give a fuuuu"

Just a thought that came up when I first played that song.

Comments

• GigakoopsRBNGigakoopsRBN Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    BravoGangUS;4566365 said:
    This question is mainly about the song "All Signs Point to Lauderdale"

In the lyrics it goes:
    "I hate this town. It's all washed up. And all my friends don't give a fuuuuu**"

However on the one released on RBN it just has "don't give a ____"

For profanity in lyrics, is it required that they are completely removed? Because I was wondering if they could have just removed the "ck" sound at the end and have the audio only play "don't give a fuuuu"

Just a thought that came up when I first played that song.

Unfortunately for anti-censorship people, yes, it is. The only case that I've seen part of the word uncensored is "Fighting Back the Bullies" by XIT.

Original: "F***er! Muthaf***er!"
    Rock Band version: " Er! Mutha er!"
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    GigakoopsRBN;4566370 said:
    Unfortunately for anti-censorship people, yes, it is. The only case that I've seen part of the word uncensored is "Fighting Back the Bullies" by XIT.

Also "Strobe Lights" by Kill Hannah.
    "Dance, all you pale mother____errrrrrs."

And in official DLC, there's "Weightless" by All Time Low
    "But I'm stuck in this ____in' rut." You can even hear a light "f" sound at the beginning if you listen close.

I suppose you could also make a case for "Longview" and "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2011
    PowerGamer990;4566438 said:
    Also "Strobe Lights" by Kill Hannah.
    "Dance, all you pale mother____errrrrrs."

And in official DLC, there's "Weightless" by All Time Low
    "But I'm stuck in this ____in' rut." You can even hear a light "f" sound at the beginning if you listen close.

I suppose you could also make a case for "Longview" and "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day.

Well, OK, I guess there are examples. But sometimes it's better to play it safe then to keep a word only partially-censored. I know one song originally had the "shi-" in the s-word, and it was removed, and another had "di-" for the word "dick" (as in penis) but it was also censored.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2011
    They probably just don't want to break a syllable in half, for gameplay reasons. The vocals authoring process kind of relies on treating each syllable as a unit with a beginning and an end. Maybe.
  • BeastofNatureBeastofNature Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    I always like to say the words even though they are cut out, it's more fun for me that way lol ^_^
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind them cutting out swearing in songs. When i'm singing on RB I usually sing them in anyway and you don't lose any points either.

If you think cutting out swear words is wrong or not necessary then you should hear what Band Hero did do American pie :)
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited December 2011
    V8VANTAGE;4573517 said:
    I don't mind them cutting out swearing in songs. When i'm singing on RB I usually sing them in anyway and you don't lose any points either.
    My housemate's Green Day release party featured everyone singing the censored bits at top volume. And I get a certain gleeful kick out of singing "She Hates Me" with all the lyrics (except when I activate overdrive in the wrong places.)
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    HMXLachesis;4573542 said:
    (except when I activate overdrive in the wrong places.)
    I hate this so much :\

I love the song, but hate singing all signs point to lauderdale, because most of the "don't give a___" lines area OD phrases, with the phrase marker immediately after the word A, so you end up mis-activating OD all the time :\
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Might as put the full word if you put "Fuuuuuuu" lol
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    GigakoopsRBN;4566370 said:

I remember in Gorillaz's Clint Eastwood. F***er and Mother***er were completely censored. They even censoerd "mother." But that's a normal DLC song, I don't know about the Rock Band Network, but I think it should be the same, either way.
  • ADTR3144ADTR3144 Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    i think their should be a warning before you buy it saying this content has language or something
    edited January 2012
    ADTR3144;4597852 said:
    i think their should be a warning before you buy it saying this content has language or something

Actually, the "FF" and "SR" badges would have worked perfectly with the RBN. I don't know how the "FF" would work out, but I think if they detect lyrics like "Ass" or "Damn" I think it could be automatically rated "SR."

If you are talking about the words that have to be censored, then that would go against the whole "T" rating thing.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    Just throwing this out there, but there does exist code in Rock Band 3 to display songs being labeled as "Mature Content" as opposed to "Supervision Recommended"Family Friendly," or "No Rating." I'm just saying.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited January 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4597886 said:
    Actually, the "FF" and "SR" badges would have worked perfectly with the RBN. I don't know how the "FF" would work out, but I think if they detect lyrics like "Ass" or "Damn" I think it could be automatically rated "SR."

I think it'd be easier to have the rating options on Magma to choose from, and then authors would hae to rate that accurately, too. A song could have no swearing at all, but could be about sex, drugs, murder, or even questionable religious practices. But then again, this would only lead up to arguments over what's safe for kids and whatnot, and it's all different from person to person.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4597917 said:
    A song could have no swearing at all, but could be about sex, drugs, murder, or even questionable religious practices.

Or it could have "Devil" in the title in a foreign language! *couch*Caprici Di Diablo*couch*
    edited January 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4597917 said:
    I think it'd be easier to have the rating options on Magma to choose from, and then authors would hae to rate that accurately, too. A song could have no swearing at all, but could be about sex, drugs, murder, or even questionable religious practices. But then again, this would only lead up to arguments over what's safe for kids and whatnot, and it's all different from person to person.

I meant, like, the song could be "Not Rated", but the rating shifter would be the detected language in the lyrics. Anyway, the option for ratings would work in Magma. We need that option.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    AskariNari;4597928 said:
    Or it could have "Devil" in the title in a foreign language! *couch*Caprici Di Diablo*couch*

Couch? :)
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4598784 said:
    I meant, like, the song could be "Not Rated", but the rating shifter would be the detected language in the lyrics. Anyway, the option for ratings would work in Magma. We need that option.

Disagree, adding that field to magma would require HMX checking each song individually to ensure the rating was accurate which is tedious at best. Why? Because content ratings are the type of thing consumers would find HMX liable for if they weren't correct and little Jimmy sings inappropriate lyrics. That consumer isn't going to know some random authoring company screwed up, they'll know HMX has their name on the game.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited January 2012
    We need that option as much as we need more inconsistent ratings for the forums to complain about.
  • BeastofNatureBeastofNature Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    V8VANTAGE;4573517 said:

If you think cutting out swear words is wrong or not necessary then you should hear what Band Hero did do American pie :)

I agree with you about cutting the lyrics out since I can say them anyway & still get a good score although sometimes I went into overdrive saying words lol.

I'm on board with HMX editing. After all, it's a Teen game and they gotta cover their tills although it would be interesting to see a Mature rated rock band with shocking on stage content (like fake blood or flipping a Stone Cold Steve Austen bird (he's from WWE back in the day) & or other shocking elements like some shock rock groups I know lol) But I'm joking, I'm not expecting that (although maybe Rock Star of Grand Theft Auto may think of something & team up with HMX... that would Rock) I'm kidding but I would get that if it was made lol. American Pie cracks me up although I only saw the first one but may see the others one day lol :)