12/20 DLC Discussion: Hendrix 7-Pack + 4 Pro Guitar! All Along the Watchtower & more!

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited December 2011 in Rock Band
hmxhenry;4567483 said:
Named the greatest guitar player of all time by Rolling Stone magazine in its recent “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time” feature, there are few unfamiliar with the legendary songwriter and performer Jimi Hendrix. The guitar virtuoso’s playing style redefined rock and roll, infusing his unparalleled technical ability with an extreme and experimental sound that wowed audiences, changing music history for decades to come. On December 20th, Harmonix is proud to be adding seven classic Hendrix tracks to the Rock Band Music Store.

1968’s Hendrix-produced Electric Ladyland album features some of the musician’s most popular and enduring songs. Three songs from this classic – “Long Hot Summer Night,” “Gypsy Eyes,” and “All Along the Watchtower” – kick off the pack. An incendiary live performance of “Voodoo Child (Slight Return),” recorded at the legendary Woodstock festival, is also included in the pack. The pack of seven tracks also includes “Dolly Dagger” “Freedom” and “Angel” from First Rays Of The New Rising Sun. These songs were originally recorded for 1971’s Rainbow Bridge and The Cry of Love albums.

Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrades for two of the tracks, “All Along the Watchtower” and “Freedom,” will be available. Pro upgrades for previously available Hendrix songs, “Purple Haze” and “Little Wing,” will also be offered. A full list of the extensive catalog of Jimi Hendrix songs playable in Rock Band can be found here.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system (December 20th, 2011):

• The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Long Hot Summer Night” O
• The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Gypsy Eyes”
• The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “All Along the Watchtower” X
• Jimi Hendrix – “Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Live)”
• Jimi Hendrix – “Dolly Dagger”
• Jimi Hendrix – “Freedom” O X
• Jimi Hendrix – “Angel”

Pro Guitar/Bass Upgrades for Legacy Songs

• The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Purple Haze”
• The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Little Wing”

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system December 21st)

The tracks will be available as “Experience Jimi Hendrix Pack 01,” with all songs available for purchase individually on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii™. Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:
$10.99 USD, £5.99 UK, €8.99 EU (880 Microsoft Points, 1100 Wii Points™) for the “Experience Jimi Hendrix 01” pack
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!
***HMX EDIT 12/16***

I just got confirmation from the Audio team that our version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Live) is from Woodstock, but it's shorter than the version that appears on the album. The stems we received are 6:39 long, so that's what you can expect on Tuesday. It is sure to be EPIC so start practicing your finger exercises now.
hmxhenry;4567585 said:
Here are the Rock Band Network songs that came to Xbox 360 on Thursday, 12/15/2011:

Indie Rock

Niño Burbuja - "Mil Rosas" (80 MSP)
Silent House - "In Between" (80 MSP)

Nu-Metal

Powerman 5000 - "V is for Vampire" (160 MSP)

Metal

All Shall Perish - "A Pure Evil" (160 MSP)
All Shall Perish - "My Retaliation (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
Asking Alexandria - "Hey There Mr. Brooks (RB3 version)" (160 MSP)
Devin Townsend - "N9" (160 MSP)
Ethereal Collapse - "Category III: Architect" (80 MSP)
Ethereal Collapse - "Category III: Architect (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
Fallen Angel - "Sad Wings" (160 MSP)
Francisco Meza - "Rage and Pain (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
Halcyon Way - "Icon of Resolution" (80 MSP)
Halcyon Way - "Icon of Resolution (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
Watain - "Underneath the Cenotaph" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronic

Bankai - "The Epic, Part 3.7 (RBN Remix)" (80 MSP)
Gigakoops - "Death In General" (80 MSP)

Pop-Rock

Kari Kimmel - "Go" (160 MSP)

Prog

Solution .45 - "Lethean Tears" (80 MSP)

Rock

Jerry Naylor - "All I Want Is You" (160 MSP)
Jerry Naylor - "Don't Ever Change" (160 MSP)
Jerry Naylor - "Real Wild Child" (160 MSP)
Jerry Naylor - "Tear It Up" (160 MSP)
Mike Kotulka - "Love's the Profit" (80 MSP)
The Black Beverly Heels - "Dark Beat" (80 MSP)

And here are the PS3 RBN releases scheduled for Tuesday, 12/20/2011 (North America) and Wednesday, 12/21/2011 (Europe)

Between the Buried and Me - "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" ($1.99) - Metal
Alien Ant Farm - "Courage" ($1.99) - Rock
Powerman 5000 - "Show Me What You've Got" ($1.99) - Nu-Metal
Free Spirit - "Cry of an Eagle" ($1.99) - Rock
Dance for the Dying - "Echo" ($0.99) - Pop-Rock
Yes, you will finally be able to play All Along the Watchtower in Rock Band. :D

Discuss this awesome Hendrix pack!

Comments

• robinbin7robinbin7 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Jimi Hendrix!
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    *sigh*

Was hoping for Genesis, Elton John or Guns N Roses. :(

I'll get AATW and Voodoo Child, I guess.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Oh hell yes.
    I love the BSG version too :D
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Long Hot Summer Night! Favorite Hendrix song of all time, never thought I'd see it without Electric Ladyland full album. Getting all of it.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    We already had enough Jimi Hendrix, he's overrated. Hope everyone who wants this is pleased though.
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Freakin awesome DLC!!!! Love me some More Hendrix. Getting it all. The only unfortunate thing is its looks like some of the masters for both albums are gone, unless HMX completes both albums in the future. Queen, Rush and Hendrix all in one month? Fantastic!
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2011
    *Does freeze-frame joy jump*

It's about damned time we got these songs! If I had money, I'd get the whole pack day one!
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    YES, is it the live version I think it is?
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Awesome pack, but boooo for no Voodoo Chile.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    Not a huge fan, but nice stuff, nonetheless.
  • Se7en082Se7en082 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Now we need Machine Gun. Go for discography, Harmonix! If anyone deserves it, it's Jimi Hendrix!
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Secret song of doom, Dolly Dagger!

Oh got I am so happy. DLC has been hitting a hot stove home run lately.
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I couldnt be more uninterested. I was hoping for something new and FUN not his dreary voice.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I will be getting a couple of songs:

All Along the Watchtower
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Live)
    Freedom
    Angel

That will round out my Hendrix Hits colection nicely.

Fire
    Castles Made of Sand
    If 6 Was 9
    Little Wing
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Valleys of Neptune
    Wait Until Tomorrow
    Foxey Lady
    Purple Haze
    Stone Free
    The Wind Crys Mary
    Crosstown Traffic
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    All Along the Watchtower! FINALLY!!!!

I have to admit, I'm not quite as familiar with the rest.
  • MirrorMysticMirrorMystic Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Hendrix is a god, can't wait to play these!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    I'm extremely underwhelmed with Hendrix (not specifically referring to Rock Band, but him as an artist)
    Combine that with the fact that I think he's a terrible Rock Band artist (as in, I don't think his songs convert very well to an enjoyable playing experience) and the fact that I was kind of using HMX's "we're not getting those albums" line as "we're not getting any Hendrix for a while" as a way of comforting myself from prediction thread to prediction thread, and you get a very non-excited person on my end.

Sorry, I'm just not a huge hendrix fan. I will check out the.... two... songs that have keys, aside from that, I think there are many many many other bands that deserve a full week of DLC, especially compared to the fact that Hendrix has a ton of songs out already.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Oh, so the hint really wasn't directly about the artist, but it was about a single song (via the TV show). Awesome pack!
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited December 2011
    atalkingfish;4569686 said:
    I'm extremely underwhelmed with Hendrix (not specifically referring to Rock Band, but him as an artist)
    Combine that with the fact that I think he's a terrible Rock Band artist (as in, I don't think his songs convert very well to an enjoyable playing experience) and the fact that I was kind of using HMX's "we're not getting those albums" line as "we're not getting any Hendrix for a while" as a way of comforting myself from prediction thread to prediction thread, and you get a very non-excited person on my end.

I thought his songs were great fun on all instruments.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    *WIN* All Along The Watchtower *WIN*
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2011

Sorry, I'm just not a huge hendrix fan. I will check out the.... two... songs that have keys, aside from that, I think there are many many many other bands that deserve a full week of DLC, especially compared to the fact that Hendrix has a ton of songs out already.

Say what you want about not liking the music, and I'll understand. But his songs are a lot of fun (at least on guitar for me). I think they convert well on Rock Band, and it's a perfect example of an artist that does so.
  • clarknovaclarknova Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Damn. I was really hoping for Jem and the Holograms.
    edited December 2011
    dog037;4569688 said:

I dunno, they all just seem too sloppy for me. I mean, they sound fine, but the drums and guitar just seem... weird to play and I've never been too excited for any Hendrix song to be on Rock Band (barring "Hey Joe", because that's one of my favorite songs of all time)

Aside from that, there's the fact that I don't really like Hendrix' sound, and sound has a lot to do with how much I enjoy playing a song on Rock Band.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    dog037;4569688 said:
    Insanely hard on drums, but awesome on everything else.
    edited December 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4569690 said:
    Say what you want about not liking the music, and I'll understand. But his songs are a lot of fun (at least on guitar for me). I think they convert well on Rock Band, and it's a perfect example of an artist that does so.

It's not that I -dislike- the music, just that I don't -like- his music. It all sounds very grating to me.
  • MirrorMysticMirrorMystic Unsigned
    edited December 2011

Underwhelmed with Hendrix as an artist? What part of best guitar player of all time do you not comprehend?
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited December 2011
    It doesnt even sound like music to me, just noise.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I didn't know about Mitch Mitchell before playing Hendrix in Rock Band. Now, I can't wait to get my hands on more Hendrix, not just because the songs are great, but because Mitchell is amazing and incredibly fun to play.
  • CroqCroq Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Heck yeah, more Hendrix!!! Definitely getting several of these, maybe the whole pack!

I am also picking up the Jerry Naylor tracks on RBN. EVERYONE should check these out, they're songs from an era of rock and roll that should be appreciated by all. Very happy to see more Rockabilly tracks getting added, and I hope there's even more to come from this genre.