12/20 DLC Discussion: Hendrix 7-Pack + 4 Pro Guitar! All Along the Watchtower & more!

Comments

• wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    probably going to pass... maybe...
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited December 2011
    RockBandRocker;4569711 said:
    Nice!

I think the only Jimi Hendrix song left that I want to see on Rock Band now is "Machine Gun" (either the Band Of Gypsys version or one of the two from Live At The Fillmore East is fine with me. Or all three versions, since he plays them at different tempos and for different lengths.)

Star Spangled Banner too.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited December 2011
    NOT_Travis;4569709 said:

Huh? It is live, so I will HAVE to listen to the version to see if I like it, but that song is EPIC.

No, there's Voodoo Chile AND Voodoo Child. Different songs, similar names.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    dog037;4569713 said:
    Star Spangled Banner too.

As...well, I'm out of superlatives. As superepicaweomesauce as that version is, I don't think that it would translate very well to RB3. Now I have to listen to it, and it'll give me goosebumps just like it always does.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Epic week is epic. Third week in a row of favorite artists.

Queen, Rush, Hendrix - this is shaping up to the be the single greatest month of RB DLC for me - since the game started having DLC.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    RockBandRocker;4569715 said:
    No, there's Voodoo Chile AND Voodoo Child. Different songs, similar names.

Ya got me. It's been a while and/or I didn't catch the one-letter difference. Thanks.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Some of my favorite songs in Rock Band to play on drums are from Hendrix so I can't wait to try these out!
    edited December 2011
    NOT_Travis;4569718 said:
    Ya got me. It's been a while and/or I didn't catch the one-letter difference. Thanks.

For reference (and your listening pleasure):

Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

And, here's Voodoo Child (Slight Return) live at Woodstock.
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited December 2011
    Another boring week :<
  • MPPMikeMPPMike Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    I'm buying it all! I'm most excited for the usual suspects - "Watchtower" and especially "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)". The latter is the song that will push me to truly put in some time on the Squier. I NEED to be able to play that song on a real guitar.

I hope "Electric Ladyland" gets the No Doubt "Tragic Kingdom" treatment some day, with a future deep cuts pack to complete the album. There's at least a few more tracks I really want. The full "Voodoo Chile" and "House Burning Down" foremost on that list.

Edit - Except now I see there's no Pro on "VC (SR)"! Very sad. I'll console myself by practicing on "Watchtower" instead.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I think labeling anybody "best guitarist of all time" is silly (my personal opinion is the honor belongs to Steve Howe of Yes). There can be no arguing, however, that Hendrix was one of the most influential AND original guitarists of all time. And I'm not really any sort of Hendrix fan. I'm a fan of his drummer, though.The drum work in a lot of Hendrix songs is just plain fantastic, and, more importantly, a hell of a lot of fun to play.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Lord_Mhoram;4569717 said:
    Epic week is epic. Third week in a row of favorite artists.

Queen, Rush, Hendrix - this is shaping up to the be the single greatest month of RB DLC for me - since the game started having DLC.

I totally agree. End the month with anything memorable and it will be the first month I pick up everything ever.

And I have been buying stuff from the beginning.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2011
    Amount of MSP on my account= 890
    damn i'm lucky :o
  • blingdomepieceblingdomepiece Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Works for me. I guess the Hendrix albums are over, and only two songs have keys, but the drum charts are always great.
  • Shadowdriverv2Shadowdriverv2 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    I'll only be getting AAtW and possibly VC...

But, good for those huge hendrix fans :P I can't complain we got Rush last week. It'll give me a chance to save up some money.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Yay, the new classic rock wave continues to roll in. Buying everything.

Elton John next, I hope I hope?
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited December 2011
    Not a particular fan of Hendrix, but congrats to those who want him :D
    Gonna listen to these songs later~
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited December 2011
  • Ruz-ElRuz-El Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    Nice work! The past few weeks have been full of great stuff. I was hoping for an epic pick for Christmas week, you delivered fine people!
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    All Along the Watchtower, Freedom and Purple Haze Pro upgrade for me. An okay week.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I'll get Watchtower and Haze with upgrades for sure.
  • Ruz-ElRuz-El Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    Croq;4569699 said:
    H
    I am also picking up the Jerry Naylor tracks on RBN. EVERYONE should check these out, they're songs from an era of rock and roll that should be appreciated by all. Very happy to see more Rockabilly tracks getting added, and I hope there's even more to come from this genre.
    I have to wait for these tracks to come onto the PS3, but I agree. Hendrix will fill in nicely until we can get these tracks. More rockabilly will be a good thing!
  • hiddenzombie013hiddenzombie013 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    I'll wait for the drum charts to decide if this pack is worth a buy, but based on his other tracks, it's probably a safe bet. Will definitely be getting AATW though, since that one's LONG overdue. Also, on the Live at Woodstock album, Voodoo Child (Slight Return) is 13:40 in length. This is the version we're getting right? Are we getting it at that length or is it shortened?
  • GAThrawnGAThrawn Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    I'd probably get All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Child, just so I can boast of having as many classic rock hits as I can.

But I really dislike him. He's as bad as Dylan and Jagger among vocalists, his guitar sounds annoyingly outdated and he's immediately put to shame when we hear Van Halen or Jimmy Page, not to mention he came after George Harrison and Harrison sounds better. Plus, it doesn't say much about how much of a guitar god Hendrix is when, playing RB3 for the first time (which was my first music game), the Hendrix song was the first one I played. I got 100% on hard, on the first time playing. One of the only songs I could do so, even now after playing for a million times on each song.

But still, this pack could be MUCH worse. It could be something from the past 10 years which is nothing but screaming and lyrics to make you blush and arrogant-sounding guitar that drowns out everything else. Or it could be Miley Cyrus.
    edited December 2011
    ^ There is sooooo much wrong with that post that to point out all the errors would be a waste of breath on someone with such a warped view of rock history.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    HMX must be saving Guns n' Roses for the last week of the year :P
  • chubacachubaca Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    GAThrawn;4569743 said:
    I'd probably get All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Child, just so I can boast of having as many classic rock hits as I can.

But I really dislike him. He's as bad as Dylan and Jagger among vocalists, his guitar sounds annoyingly outdated and he's immediately put to shame when we hear Van Halen or Jimmy Page, not to mention he came after George Harrison and Harrison sounds better. Plus, it doesn't say much about how much of a guitar god Hendrix is when, playing RB3 for the first time (which was my first music game), the Hendrix song was the first one I played. I got 100% on hard, on the first time playing. One of the only songs I could do so, even now after playing for a million times on each song.

But still, this pack could be MUCH worse. It could be something from the past 10 years which is nothing but screaming and lyrics to make you blush and arrogant-sounding guitar that drowns out everything else. Or it could be Miley Cyrus.
    Soooo..., you are saying Jimi is lame because you did 100% on hard on a plastic guitar? Yeah, makes sense.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Well, Hendrix's vocals can be very odd and difficult to sing along to, but I wouldn't say BAD.

Every DLC announcement has its fair share of whining, but I'm surprised at this level of bitterness towards Hendrix. Is it because people convinced themselves that Axl Rose's heart could somehow grow three sizes and we would get classic GNR this Christmas? That's a fairy tale. I don't think we're getting that until the guy drops dead, and even then he'll probably put something in his will that will hold it up further.

Still, there's this weird resentment towards Hendrix's epic reputation - just because he's influential doesn't mean you have to like him fellas, it's all good. Nobody's trying to MAKE you so you don't need to lash out and stuff. I cherry pick these Hendrix packs too, it's cool.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Nothing for me or my list. Never been much of a Hendrix fan.
  • Shadowdriverv2Shadowdriverv2 Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    GAThrawn;4569743 said:

While I disagree with EVERYTHING in this statement, I will admit to one thing:

I (opinion) find Hendrix boring to play in Rock Band.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hendrix, and I know all of these songs well. I just have had bad experiences in the past where I download the songs, play them once, and then never play them again. They just aren't fun enough to keep my attention, and so I'd sooner only buy the crowd pleasers and save my money.

Still, right on for those who enjoy playing Hendrix.