2011-2012 NBA Discussion Thread

Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
edited July 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Decided to get one of these going since the old ones are long dead and buried.

Just 10 days away from the Christmas Day tip-off on this labor-shortened season. A lot of things still to be decided like where Chris Paul will end up (Lakers back in trade talks?) and Dwight Howard (to the Nets to join Deron Williams?). Discuss, discuss!

Comments

• CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited December 2011
    As a Pistons fan, I get most of my NBA enjoyment out of watching other teams.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Mavs should be able to defend their title. Nowitzki, Carter and Odom are going to form an amazing team.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited December 2011
    You guys really must be die-hard fans to still be watching this... After the whole lock-out thingy and whatnot...
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2011
    I just hope everyone gets things settled soon so I can get an update for NBA2K12.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    sillystou;4568546 said:
    You guys really must be die-hard fans to still be watching this... After the whole lock-out thingy and whatnot...

Actually, I'm a casual fan, but I love watching sports so the lockout didn't matter much to me. If the season was cancelled, I'd be disappointed but I'd fill my time with something else. Now that it's on, I'll watch when I can.

Regarding the lockout, I still watch hockey, football and baseball. No lockout gonna hooold meeeee down, oh no, I GOT TO KEEP ON WATCHIN'.

Edit: Looks like D12 is off the trading block (for how long?). And I'm surprised about CP3 going to the Clippers. If I was Stern, I'd blackball Sterling until he agreed to sell the franchise. Then again if I was Stern, this whole league would have started on time.

Edit #2:
    Mega-Tallica;4568313 said:
    Looks like CP3 is headed to the Clippers, again.

Same deal as last time: Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, and 1st round draft pick. I can't see how getting rid of Kaman will help them in any way.
    They gave up Kaman AND Gordon, which I think is big. I mean, they get the consensus #1 PG in the world, but losing your big man and a solid rising 2-guard?

Sidenote - Simmons should be happy.

Edit #3: And now the Bulls sign Rip Hamilton. Awesome! We'll see if a true 2-guard is what the Bulls really needed to keep improving. Hopefully this takes the load off of Rose a bit.
    edited December 2011
    Sayburr;4568580 said:
    I just hope everyone gets things settled soon so I can get an update for NBA2K12.

This. This is my main concern. The Clippers just became my go-to online team.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited December 2011
    CJHobbes;4568581 said:

Sidenote - Simmons should be happy.
    Did you see SportsCenter today? Simmons says Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are both better than Kobe.

I lol'd. The dude has his head way up you-know-where.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited December 2011
    sillystou;4568546 said:

nothing important was missed. the nba doesn't start to get good until april-ish anyway.

aaaaand go bulls!
    edited December 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4568873 said:
    Did you see SportsCenter today? Simmons says Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are both better than Kobe.

I lol'd. The dude has his head way up you-know-where.

Hah, that's a pretty bold comment and his Laker hate is showing.

I razz on Kobe all the time, but even I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Heck, that even fails his own test: If you have to play a game of pickup ball and your life depended on it, who would be your first choice?
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited December 2011
    I actually wanted a season long lock-out to happen for the NBA. It would've gotten Stern out of that role as commissioner. And also every other fan of NBA teams would've experienced what Seattle Supersonics fans had been going through since our team was stolen by Stern and his friend Clay Bennett and plopped in Oklahoma City.

Well, since I didn't get to see what I wanted to happen in the NBA this season, Oklahoma City might as well win the title and truly sicken me when Clay Bennett holds up the trophy and says "WE DID IT".
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Dude, you sound like those bitter ass Baltimore fans that lost the Colts. Will you still be holding that grudge thirty years from now?
    edited December 2011
    FloodOne;4570753 said:
    Dude, you sound like those bitter ass Baltimore fans that lost the Colts. Will you still be holding that grudge thirty years from now?
    No, Just until Stern is out of a job as commissioner (whether he is fired or can't function in that role due to no longer being alive) and the Seattle Supersonics come back (even in a manner similar to the Browns of the NFL) since Stern has made it known that Seattle will never get another team as long as he's commissioner.

Besides, Baltimore got a Super Bow win before the Colts did. ;)
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2012
    Seems pretty interesting from what I can follow. A lot of speculations, but I'm pretty casual I get my scores from 2k12's uptodate ticker more often than sportscenter (which I catch when I can). But it is what it is. At least it keeps all the trades in my head and make me feel less dumb. What's everyones feelings with how the teams are performing thus far?
    edited March 2012
    So far, I think the standings are pretty much in-line with what I imagined early in the season. Miami, Chicago, OKC, SA and Indiana are all playing really well. Philly has surprised me, it will be interesting to see if they can finish out the season like they started it. A couple of teams other teams that have surprised me slightly have been both LA teams. Both teams are performing better than I expected. Kobe is a baller, through and through.

I think it's a 4 horse race, between Miami, Chicago, OKC and SA. Unfortunately I don't think Orlando has the firepower to outlast Miami/Chicago in a 7-game series. But heck, once the playoffs come, anything can happen. Especially during this weird shortened, compressed season. I think it might just come down to whichever team's Superstars are healthy enough. :p

And as much of a Chicago fan as I am, I'm still concerned about the lack of a second option. Defense or no defense, when playoff teams key in to stop Rose, there's currently no one to take over. It feels just like last year's team with marginally better offense; and since they lost to Miami when Miami was still figuring out their identity, well...
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    I predicted Magic to go 44-22 and they're right about on track for that pace. Offers abound for Dwight but he's probably going to be kept past the deadline, and instead the Magic are trying to deal for Monta Ellis, who knows if he's an upgrade for the current team
  • rockhero321rockhero321 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    GO MAVERICKS! You guys will never take our NBA Title away.
    edited March 2012
    I predicted Miami over OKC in 6 in the finals, and I feel good about that prediction.
    edited March 2012
    Cubecubed;4660983 said:
    I predicted Miami over OKC in 6 in the finals, and I feel good about that prediction.

You think Fuhrer Stern would let Lebron James get a title at the expense of his friend Clay Bennett, whom he helped steal a team for? If it's Miami vs OKC, Oklahoma City wins in 5 games with some very questionable officiating (think Kings-Lakers 2002 Western Conference Finals bad).

Besides, the NBA needs Lebron James to be a marketable villain. Keeps the distraction away from the shady things that league is doing behind closed doors.
    edited March 2012
    Nah, they'll win this year, and at least 2 more with the current big three. They are just too good defensively.
    edited March 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4661193 said:
    Besides, the NBA needs Lebron James to be a marketable villain. Keeps the distraction away from the shady things that league is doing behind closed doors.
    I think the villain role has pretty much played its script out. There's still fallout from last year, but that hatred isn't as strong as it was since Miami lost the title last year to Dallas. Besides, with Linsanity in NY and CP3 with Lob City, all the attention is being payed elsewhere.
    Cubecubed;4661227 said:
    Nah, they'll win this year, and at least 2 more with the current big three. They are just too good defensively.

Which is funny, because no one really talks (or at least used to talk) about their defense. Or the fact that they've stayed relatively healthy during this crazy, compressed season.
    edited March 2012
    i predict that they won't win this season as well. they should win the east because d-rose still doesn't have a legit 2nd option but they'll lose in the finals again.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    Miami's success depends entirely on how healthy Wade is during the finals because we all know how LeBron is going to play in the 4th
    edited March 2012
    edited March 2012
    CJHobbes;4661404 said:
    I think the villain role has pretty much played its script out. There's still fallout from last year, but that hatred isn't as strong as it was since Miami lost the title last year to Dallas. Besides, with Linsanity in NY and CP3 with Lob City, all the attention is being payed elsewhere.

A Miami-New York playoff series with Lin as the underdog hero, not to mention a history of these teams having brawls in the playoffs would be the perfect way for Lebron James to become the villain once more, especially if Lebron and Lin fight like this.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited March 2012
    Rubio out for the season. ****ing hell.
    edited March 2012
    You had a good run, Minnesota. That completely sucks, though. :/ They were fun to watch with Rubio at the helm.

I was hoping the Bulls would make a move for someone before the deadline. And D12...*yawn*. Wake me up when he decides to go somewhere.
    edited March 2012
    But Dwight Howard loves going to Universal Studios and Sea World. ;)
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 2012
    I've been living under a rock so far this NBA season, and I expect no one would know the answer to this, or even care...but when the hell did Stephan Jackson come back and join the Spurs?!?!
    edited March 2012
    BachiG;4680701 said:
    I've been living under a rock so far this NBA season, and I expect no one would know the answer to this, or even care...but when the hell did Stephan Jackson come back and join the Spurs?!?!

At the trade deadline recently. In high style, GS continued to blow up their roster and swapped Jackson for Jefferson and a pick. They also dealed Ellis, much to the chagrin of their fans. XD

"The Warriors traded swingman Stephen Jackson to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday for small forward Richard Jefferson and a conditional first-round draft pick this year."
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 2012
    CJHobbes;4680721 said:
    At the trade deadline recently. In high style, GS continued to blow up their roster and swapped Jackson for Jefferson and a pick. They also dealed Ellis, much to the chagrin of their fans. XD

"The Warriors traded swingman Stephen Jackson to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday for small forward Richard Jefferson and a conditional first-round draft pick this year."
    Thanks for the info. I hope ( and would bet) that Richard Jefferson works out better for GS then he did for SA (not his fault for the change in his game that he needed to make to work in the Spurs system).

SJ should work well for the Spurs since I think he respects the organization and Tim D., and probably wishes he never left (but you can't blame him for cashing in when he had the chance).

As for the 2nd link you posted about the Chris Mullin retirement fiasco, I heard a bit about that on sports radio here in Austin, but did not know the details. It's unfortunate, but paying fans are allowed to voice their opinion...just a shame they had to do it then.