Harmonix Holiday Livestreamaganza on 12/19! Q&A, DLC reveal & giveaways FOR CHARITY!

edited December 2011 in Announcements
Hey gang,

If you haven't heard of Child's Play, it's an awesome gaming related charity that benefits children in hospitals. The organization is supported in a huge way by the fine folks at Penny Arcade, a number of developer / community run fund raising events around the world (including Umloud in San Francisco which we just attended last week) and they're inches away from hitting their goal of raising 2 million dollars this year.

On Monday December 19th, we'll be taking donations for Child's Play by hosting what we've taken to calling the Harmonix Holiday Livestreamaganza. We'll be running a livestream from the Harmonix offices from 5-8pm EST on twitch.tv and there will be all manner of fun and games to keep everyone entertained. What can you expect during this holiday livestream? LOOK BELOW:

* Interviews / Q&A with Harmonix devs! You can actually get involved with the show RIGHT NOW by submitting questions below. We'll use the best questions on camera, call out your forum handle and you get the smug satisfaction of knowing you asked a better question than everyone else.

* Rock Band and Dance Central gameplay! Ever want to see an HMX dev sing Painkiller or dance for your amusement? This is your chance!

* Early DLC announcements! We'll be announcing upcoming DLC artists so tune in for a scoop!

* Other crazy announcements! There's some exceptionally rad stuff going on in the RB world beyond the DLC and we'll be talking about those things on the livestream for sure.

* DLC giveaways! We've got a mess of codes to give out (for both 360 and PS3), and you guys love free stuff. It's a perfect fit!

* Terrible holiday sweaters! What more could you ask for?

* On top of all that, this will all benefit an excellent charity so it's a great opportunity for all of us to have fun and do some good in the world at the same time.

So that's the quick rundown. We'll have more details in the next few days, so be sure to keep posted, submit questions below, share links with your friends, mark your calendars and tune in for a great cause. It should be a blast.

We'll see you on Monday!

***HMXEDIT 12/19***

The livestream blog post is up now! The stream won't start until 5pm EST but you can get the page ready, prepare questions for the chart and donate to Childs Play RIGHT NOW.

Comments

• HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2011
    Please run a contest for 'ugliest Christmas sweater' during the stream

Is it safe to say that the request-a-feature on this site is no longer a factor in licensing more songs and bands?

Are there plans to make any possible future installments of Rock Band more band-oriented, like in the shape of BWT in RB2?

PHONE?
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    HMX strikes again, will definitely tune in.
    Best wishes folks!
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited December 2011
    Also, how do you decide if a section of a song should be marked as a solo or not?
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    dog037;4568303 said:
    Also, how do you decide if a section of a song should be marked as a solo or not?

I like this question.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll tune in or not. Depends how long it is. I know the DLC they leak will be talked about on the forums and on Wikipedia's upcoming list of artists anyway, so if I miss it, I can still see what they announced. I'll try, though.
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Ill try to watch some of it atleast, looking forward to the DLC announcements and maybe they'll mention something about an upcoming game, perhaps?
  • CasanovaFrankeCasanovaFranke Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great! Of course I'll be at work and they apparently frown on me checking out RB stuff on the clock... hopefully you can keep some activities going later...
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2011
    I'll try to tune in, JUST for the upcoming artist announced.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Just a quick reminder since we're talking about Child's Play and Rock Band; If you haven't picked it up already, all sales of Insomniac Games' song "(pin)Ballz" go directly to Child's Play.
    It's available for $0.99 on 360 and PS3
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Nevermind, i'll be at work .. just looked and saw this is at the time i'll be at work. :(
    Boo.
    Will you guys call in for me at work? <-- lol my question XD
  • bricotbricot Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Dogmatic2020;4568238 said:
    Why no more Christmas songs? Specifically Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

+1
  • zoobe40zoobe40 Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Cool it's on my birthday haha i'll have to check it out now!
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2011
    hmxhenry;4568233 said:
    * Terrible holiday sweaters! What more could you ask for?
    Sold!
  • SpedkillSpedkill Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    Oh boy i'm feeling pretty excitied about this
  • RSKyBusinessRSKyBusiness Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    I like the MadCatz wooden stratocaster and would love to get another one in a different color and also a wooden bass. Is there an effort to make more wooden guitars available?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2011
    If I were to interview someone from Harmonix, here are some of the questions I would ask...

Question: Rock Band 3 has the highest Metacritic score of any "guitar/band simulation game" with a 93, but it seems Rock Band 3 also gets a lot of criticism for being "unfun" over time. What are your feelings about both the praise and the critique of Rock Band 3?

Question: Rock Band 3 included, for the first time, keyboard play. Do you know how successful this addition to the game has been? Is it being utilized? Have any artist/labels been more interested in the game now that this peripheral has been added?

Question: Dance Central is a very successful Kinect game for the Xbox 360. Have you thought about releasing the game using the motion controls of the other systems?

Question: Harmonix seems to be the leader when it comes to supporting games after release through multiple patches to add fan requested extras or to fix things that fans complain about with the gameplay. Harmonix also supports their games with DLC, especially Rock Band which has had DLC released for it every week for over four years. What makes Harmonix so committed to their games, most companies end support after about a year?

Question: Is the Rock Band Network successful? I contacted someone from Connor Christian’s label and asked them if they would re-do “Sunday Suit” to add the awesome keyboard parts as a Rock Band 3 version, but was told that getting the songs into the format needed was just too much based on the return. Have you heard of other artist reporting the same thing or is this a unique opinion on RBN?

Question: Everyone wants to make sure Harmonix is successful, especially those from the forums, we feel like we are a part of Harmonix even if we don’t work for the company, we feel invested in it. As such, we would like some idea on what Harmonix has planned to remain solvent in the years to come. So, what is going on in the future? DLC through 2012? Rock Band 4? Dance Central 3? New
    IP?... and what does, “take Rock Band in a new direction” really mean?

Last Question: How has “pro guitar” been received? Do you look at RockSmith, smack yourselves on the forehead, and say “duh” or are you happy with the approach you took? Personally, I like how Harmonix found a way to keep track of finger placement in a “real guitar” even if that guitar is no longer being produced and has a bad reputation as a “real guitar”.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2011
    CasanovaFranke;4568323 said:
    Sounds great! Of course I'll be at work and they apparently frown on me checking out RB stuff on the clock...
    Yeah, me too... blocked from that site. So, I hope someone is nice enough to pass along information to those who can't watch...
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    If you want to destroy my ugly Christmas sweater, just pull this string as I walk away. But, seriously.

Awesome charity. Awesome ideas. Looking forward to some awesome news (it's about time you started talking about the awesomeness of RB 4, I'm hoping). HMX is just awesome. I am officially tired of the word "awesome" now.
  • Pointblank41Pointblank41 Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    Q) Are any more RB3 Versions planned?

Q) Any update on getting Give It Away/Spoonman into Rock Band 3?

Q) Where do you see the Rock Band franchise moving forward? has Rocksmith changed how you will approach things in the future as far as Pro guitar? (the trade off between trying to open it up to all guitars with less accuracy in detection opposed to flawless detection with 2 or 3 select guitars)
  • thjimmythjimmy Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Great idea! Please make sure to post a link for donations. Can't wait for the fun.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    My question would be: when working with an artist that is very friendly toward the franchise, such as the Foo Fighters, who decides which song is selected for release as DLC? And if it's mutual (HMX and the artist collaborating), how is that decision reached?

I'll try to remember to tune in. All the more reason to get on my distance learning class over Saturday and Sunday so I can listen in with a clear conscience. :D
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Pitch-Black;4568577 said:
    If you want to destroy my ugly Christmas sweater, just pull this string as I walk away. But, seriously.

Awesome charity. Awesome ideas. Looking forward to some awesome news (it's about time you started talking about the awesomeness of RB 4, I'm hoping). HMX is just awesome. I am officially tired of the word "awesome" now.

...oh come now. 'Awesome' never gets old :p :D

Question: Is ham on the dinner menu? If not, why?
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Sayburr;4568574 said:
    If I were to interview someone from Harmonix, here are some of the questions I would ask...

Question: Rock Band 3 has the highest Metacritic score of any "guitar/band simulation game" with a 93, but it seems Rock Band 3 also gets a lot of criticism for being "unfun" over time. What are your feelings about both the praise and the critique of Rock Band 3? I am in this crowd. It just doesn't have the steam to be much fun long term, meaning something outside of sticking a score next to a song. I've stopped playing months ago, it's sad since I do love RB2/LRB still and when I get the urge that's where I'll go. SO RB3 missed the hook for me. Music great, game lackluster for the gamer in me.

Question: Rock Band 3 included, for the first time, keyboard play. Do you know how successful this addition to the game has been? Is it being utilized? Have any artist/labels been more interested in the game now that this peripheral has been added?

Question: Dance Central is a very successful Kinect game for the Xbox 360. Have you thought about releasing the game using the motion controls of the other systems?

Question: Harmonix seems to be the leader when it comes to supporting games after release through multiple patches to add fan requested extras or to fix things that fans complain about with the gameplay. Harmonix also supports their games with DLC, especially Rock Band which has had DLC released for it every week for over four years. What makes Harmonix so committed to their games, most companies end support after about a year? I'm guessing all the side stuff still makes them some money :) But in terms of the company's interest with the fans, they've done a great job in the diverse musical content they've offered

Question: Is the Rock Band Network successful? I contacted someone from Connor Christian’s label and asked them if they would re-do “Sunday Suit” to add the awesome keyboard parts as a Rock Band 3 version, but was told that getting the songs into the format needed was just too much based on the return. Have you heard of other artist reporting the same thing or is this a unique opinion on RBN? What is the entrance fee to get into RBN anyway?

Question: Everyone wants to make sure Harmonix is successful, especially those from the forums, we feel like we are a part of Harmonix even if we don’t work for the company, we feel invested in it. As such, we would like some idea on what Harmonix has planned to remain solvent in the years to come. So, what is going on in the future? DLC through 2012? Rock Band 4? Dance Central 3? New IP?... and what does, “take Rock Band in a new direction” really mean? I hope this one gets less vague soon. Hoping to the great game lords above it'll get me intersted again. My DLC is getting dusty. You considering a more player tailored experience perhaps?

Last Question: How has “pro guitar” been received? Do you look at RockSmith, smack yourselves on the forehead, and say “duh” or are you happy with the approach you took? Personally, I like how Harmonix found a way to keep track of finger placement in a “real guitar” even if that guitar is no longer being produced and has a bad reputation as a “real guitar”. Never really got a true feeling how well it did. Did the interest ever pick up, remain level, or lose steam? BTW what actually did happen with the Squier (just curious)?

Thanks for asking a few qeustions on my mind that I was too lazy to actually type out, yet not too lazy as to not add some thoughts :D

So, yeah +1 (Especially if there's any hint on what they want to do with RB). Also, +10 to anybody who posts the info where we can find it. Can't watch stuff like this, at work.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Props on joining in to help charities of any sort, more specifically my question is how can we as a community get more involved with helping this charity?
  • D1MatmanD1Matman Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Someone touched on the RBN entrance requirements for authors, so I'll take a stab:

Question: Currently RBN authors are required to reside in the United States. Does HMX have any plans to try and globalize the RBN, to allow for passionate content creators all over the world to better represent their country or region in the RB marketplace? Thus allowing for more international flavours which is a big win for everyone no matter where you come from... while also feeding the insatiable desires of people all over the globe to be able to experience more of their favourite local music in Rock Band (whether its old hits or new tracks on their local scene).

Whether you are Italian, Swedish, British, Spanish, Australian, Canadian, German, French, etc, etc... I'd like to see everyone get more of a chance to play their nations most storied hits on Rock Band if someone there is prepared to dive on in to RBN and 'represent'.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited December 2011
    Question 1: What were some of the HMX staff's favorite songs released as DLC in 2011?

Question 2: Is the "Why it rocks" section of the song request form read? Is it used in considering what songs get selected for inclusion in the game?

Question 3: Are we ever going to see more full albums as Rock Band DLC?

Question 4: Is there any chance of seeing songs that appeared on the Dance Central soundtrack as Rock Band DLC?

Question 5: How often do HMXers go out to concerts?
  • D1MatmanD1Matman Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Oh one other while about the place:

Question: Is the dream of ever having an export for RB: Beatles tracks totally dead for all eternity as well as every conceivable bogus dimension?
  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    What is the radical new departure/direction you'll be taking with the Rock Band franchise?
  • edited December 2011
    Time for the question that nobody dares to ask: Stroopwafels or cupcakes?
  • edited December 2011
    Lots of good questions so far, keep 'em coming!

We just got back from Goodwill and a local thrift shop with bags of sweaters so great they will make you puke. Stay tuned!
  • edited December 2011
    hmxhenry;4568838 said:
    Lots of good questions so far, keep 'em coming!

We just got back from Goodwill and a local thrift shop with bags of sweaters so great they will make you puke. Stay tuned!

Let's see if you can beat Wil Wheaton.
This discussion has been closed.