Fighting Games discussion

exploderexploder Road Warrior
edited May 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
I thought I should start this instead of posting about fighting games in RCOYO.
Talk about your favorite characters, stages, games, BGMs, etc.
BEGIN!

Comments

• DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Bulzeeb;4581375 said:
    Never been too into fighting games, but I loved playing as Valdo in the Soul Calibur series.
    Voldo was always really good for taking on players who were experts at dealing with the usual suspects (Hwang, Mitsurugi, Taki). They never knew what to make of him and all the weird things he did, even if he was relatively weak in the conventional sense. But eventually the whole cast of characters became so weird that he wasn't the total oddball he once was anymore.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Right, Voldo just lost some of his weird charm over time. Still, he's the only character I remember next to Nightmare.

I remember my friend loved the custom creator in SC IV. He made Sarah Palin and the Pope duke it out. It was amazing.
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited December 2011
    I enjoyed the newest Mortal Kombat game, though I havent played it for a while. It was quite funny playing as Kitana and repeatedly throwing fans at my friend in VS mode, which irritated him to no end
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited December 2011
    Bulzeeb;4581419 said:
    Right, Voldo just lost some of his weird charm over time. Still, he's the only character I remember next to Nightmare.

I remember my friend loved the custom creator in SC V. He made Sarah Palin and the Pope duke it out. It was amazing.

The guy I regularly play with made Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson in SvR 2011. Watching them fight in a extreme rules match was brilliant
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    DrifterUK;4581423 said:
    The guy I regularly play with made Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson in SvR 2011. Watching them fight in a extreme rules match was brilliant
    They would make me laugh for an entirely different reason.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2011
    DrifterUK;4581423 said:

that reminds me, i still haven't finished watching the Bottom-DVD's i have somewhere here
    thnx :o
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Soul Calibur and Tira, the only girl for me. Nothing says awesome more than standing over the corpse of a beaten down enemy as a completely unstable sexpot and Jester of Torment wielding a hula-hoop-o-death.

Toys are most beautiful right before they break!

Edit:
    jibjqrkl;4581343 said:
    i'm terrible at fighting games!! :'( why god, WHYYYYYYYY

also, anyone getting tekken vs Streetfighter? i always wanted to see that russian from SF fight a bear

Back in art college there was a guy who was one of the top Street Fighter players in the area (midwest), and he busted out Zangief when someone challenged him to use the Russian. I have never seen a guy pull off so many 360 moves so smoothly as him.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    ^Haha, Tira's crazy and she's got one of the best fighting styles.
    Anyways, I am PUMPED for Tekken Tag 2. My team will be Bruce and Feng, how about you guys?
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Bulzeeb;4581375 said:
    I'm willing to look into UMvC3 for Phoenix Wright.

DO IT!! Once you get the hang of MvC3 (which I'm barely at myself; took several continues to beat Arcade on Very Easy...) he becomes really fun for a good laugh. Only problem I have with him is having to use all three attacks in combination with Special to find the proper evidence (i.e. Y+A on an Xbox, ugh). His modes are pretty simple to understand, too, wich is a huge problem I have with many characters like that, no matter what game their in.

As for Soul Calibur, I've waned out of it. It seems like each version gets clunkier to play in, or something. I dunno, it may be that they became too complicated (though, hello, it's a fighting game, it's one of their things). It may be that the nuances of each character became too thin as more and more were added. It may just be the lack of Link since the Gamecube version of SC2. But it seems each version gets less and less fun and the matches feel like they grow longer and longer.

Of course, it's not like I have a deep taste for fighters anyway. Gimme Brawl and I'm happy. Or just any button-masher character (Talim was a boss in SC2, and I've found a comfortableness in a Felicia/Deadpool/Taskmaster team in UMvC3)
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited December 2011
    Being an Assassin's Creed fanboy, I may pick up Soulcalibur V just to play as Ezio. I did enjoy my limited time playing Soulcalibur III.

Other than that, the only fighting games I've played are Super Smash Bros.
    edited January 2012
    Here's one of my favorite stages and BGMs
    If you could have a dream fighting game character and stage, what would they be?
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    Fighting games are that genre I still have a soft spot for but lack the time and patience to master anymore. I tried Street Fighter 4 but could not get the hang of the timing necessary to link high-damage combos together. The last fighting game I really took the time to get good at was Soul Calibur 2.

The upcoming game Skullgirls is piquing my interest, though. It's being made by a bunch of guys who love fighting games, and they've said they'll include some very thorough tutorials that will even cover how to time your attacks right to link them together. The visual style also really stands out and each character is totally unique from the rest of the cast (how many Shotokan users does Street Fighter have?). Looking forward to that release.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited January 2012
    I'm horrible at fighting games. Even the button-masher-friendly ones like DoA.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    abynormal;4587097 said:
    Fighting games are that genre I still have a soft spot for but lack the time and patience to master anymore. I tried Street Fighter 4 but could not get the hang of the timing necessary to link high-damage combos together. The last fighting game I really took the time to get good at was Soul Calibur 2.

That's kind of the issue for me as well. The games are getting fairly complicated and technical (which is great), so I don't have the time to really sit down and learn a character. Plus I never liked playing just one character, so learning 2+ would take a while. On top of that, I don't have many friends who even play fighting games; and you can only play against the computer for so long before it just gets boring.

Two other games that I loved playing: Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and Blaz-Blue: Calamity Trigger. I actually prefer these two to the SF and MK series: the game-play feels faster and it's definitely a lot stranger, which to me is more fun.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2012
    I do like the idea and premise of fighting games, but they really lack the availability and user friendliness of new players.

Even "simpler" (or "dumber" if you're a hardcore fighting games fan) ones like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and MK Vs DC are beyond my grasp because of unnecessary complexity. That's why I believe the Smash series is the best fighting game series out there (sorry Street Fighter), because the barrier of entry is set to approachable levels and the skill ceiling doesn't suffer because of it. In fact, I believe it raises the ceiling, because more players can play the game and enjoy it, and a small portion of them will move on to playing competitive which allows for a bigger competitive scene with more analysis and results to back up their claims.
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    edited January 2012
    topperharley;4587144 said:
    I'm horrible at fighting games. Even the button-masher-friendly ones like DoA.

+1 Not a fan of the fighting game at all. I enjoy boxing and wrestling games though, go figure. Funny thing is I can usually beat my kid who is great against on-line people and all I'm doing is mashing buttons without rhyme or reason. I always call them button masher too.
    edited January 2012
    Soul Calibur 5 comes out on the 31st! I'm so hyped! 'Till then, I'll play SC4 and make Leatherface fight Captain Falcon.
    In other news, tons of new characters confirmed for Street Fighter X Tekken, including my favorite SF character, Balrog!
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2012
    The more i read about SC5 the more im convinced its a rushed waste of space... DLC characters taking slots on the roster, "new" characters which are just essentially younger versions of already more interesting old faves and second versions of existing "new" characters for the game pilfering the movesets of old faves like Setsuka.

Yeah this game is gonna such and thats me not getting started on what i think of the story...

Streetfighter X Tekken though lets play ball, happy with the roster so far (excluding Akuma leak... he can get stuffed as hes already in too many Vs series to show up here with two shotos already confirmed). There was a rumoured list featuring Dudley my long term main - that would a cracking reveal if true for me personally and Dragunov my Tekken main the other i have my fingers crossed for. On whats announced so far my team is looking at being Heichachi/Abel.
    edited January 2012
    Skode;4610091 said:
    The more i read about SC5 the more im convinced its a rushed waste of space... DLC characters taking slots on the roster, "new" characters which are just essentially younger versions of already more interesting old faves and second versions of existing "new" characters for the game pilfering the movesets of old faves like Setsuka.

Yeah this game is gonna such and thats me not getting started on what i think of the story...

Streetfighter X Tekken though lets play ball, happy with the roster so far (excluding Akuma leak... he can get stuffed as hes already in too many Vs series to show up here with two shotos already confirmed). There was a rumoured list featuring Dudley my long term main - that would a cracking reveal if true for me personally and Dragunov my Tekken main the other i have my fingers crossed for. On whats announced so far my team is looking at being Heichachi/Abel.

my team will probably be Balrog/Marduk from the list so far.
    I just hope that Bruce, Feng, Armor King, E. Honda, T. Hawk, and Blanka will be in it!
    edited January 2012
    SC5 comes out tomorrow!
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited January 2012
    ARGH. I thought this said Flying Games and I came in hear all ready to talk X-Wings and Spitfires and now I'm just leaving. :(

On topic: only fighting game I've ever owned was Smash Brothers.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited January 2012
    Skode;4610091 said:

My problem with SFvT is that it's a Capcom fighter - they're really no longer geared for accessibility. I'm a reasonably good Tekken player, a fairly good SC player, a good KoF player, do pretty well at the Arc System Works fighters (GG, BB, BF)... and usually can't make it more than halfway or so through a Capcom fighter's Arcade Mode on Medium. Then, dropping it down to Easy, the game becomes ludicrously simple with the exception of the final boss. *shrugs*
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited January 2012
    It was a surprise to see Soul Calibur released on iOS about a week ago. As tempted as I am to see that game playable on my iPod, I just know that I'd hate the touch screen controls and regret the purchase. That and the game is something like 16 bucks, well out of impulse buy range.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    AzureAngel17;4624696 said:
    ARGH. I thought this said Flying Games and I came in hear all ready to talk X-Wings and Spitfires and now I'm just leaving. :(
    I'll take on your Spitfire with an Fw-190 any day. :D
    edited January 2012
    kiggidykev;4625290 said:
    It was a surprise to see Soul Calibur released on iOS about a week ago. As tempted as I am to see that game playable on my iPod, I just know that I'd hate the touch screen controls and regret the purchase. That and the game is something like 16 bucks, well out of impulse buy range.

Yeah, the only reason I got SF4 on iOS was I got it on sale for 99 cents. And that was probably too much for it.
    edited January 2012
    killer_roach;4625414 said:
    Yeah, the only reason I got SF4 on iOS was I got it on sale for 99 cents. And that was probably too much for it.

Ha, I must have bought it during the same sale because I remember thinking what a great deal I got. I don`t think I`ve played it since then because it was too hard to just move around with any precision, let alone perform a fireball or Hyper Combo.

Imagine trying to pull off Ivy`s Summon Suffering move on a touchscreen. Blech barf.
    edited January 2012
    I've had luck with some games using virtual joysticks in the past (Third Blade comes to mind), but for something that requires more precision than a simple hack-and-slash? Forget it.

(Don't get me started about my gripes with mobile gaming, lol.)
    edited January 2012
    killer_roach;4625444 said:
    (Don't get me started about my gripes with mobile gaming, lol.)

I`m sure that I share many of the same gripes, haha.

When I started playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES, I remember how happy I was when I could consistently throw a fireball, granted I could only do it when my character was facing right and only with a d-pad controller. Now I`m more comfortable with a joystick for fighting games because I appreciate the faster and finer movement that can be done with one. Touchscreen fighting feels like a huge step backward to me and just wrong in comparison, as though I`m trying to play with my hands asleep because there`s no tactile feedback to doing anything.
    edited January 2012
    For me there's another interesting twist to it - while I have an iPod Touch for iOS gaming, my phone is a Samsung Hercules (T-Mobile Galaxy S II). It's a 4.53" screen (slightly larger than a PSP)... needless to say some touchscreen UI elements that seem quite natural on a 3.5" display are a bit less pleasant when you're having to cover that much additional ground. :)
    edited January 2012
    Having to perform extra-large quarter circles for Hadokens must be annoying, but I would imagine strangely reminiscent of childhood when all controllers were freaking huge. :D