Proof that Rock Band is the healthy option.

Comments

• PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2011
    what's next? super meat boy fixing world hunger?
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a cool story. That article was worth it just to see someone use "fizzy drinks".
    jibjqrkl;4582929 said:
    what's next? super meat boy fixing world hunger?

Street Fighter helping UFC viewership. :D

"He's got him pinned to the ground (HADOKEN)...DID YOU SEE THAT?? AND THE TIDE HAS TURNED!"

Or Limbo setting off waves of existential crises.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited December 2011
    I didn't realize that Rock Band was a major weight loss solution. Nice job to that guy! ;)
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, I gotta show this to the missus. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that the drumming is good exercise (not to mention more fun than running or riding that exercise bike).
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I knew Rock Band drumming was good exercise, especially with harder songs.
  • AthruisAthruis Unsigned
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow, I totally missed this thread untill Nascarfan19 pointed it, I didn't notice that somebody already had posted my story.
    Yeah, I'm the guy in the link.
    I posted just a little while ago in more depth.
    My Thread
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Man gains 30 lbs waiting for Keyboard parts in Rush's 2112.
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    Athruis;4583093 said:
    Oh wow, I totally missed this thread untill Nascarfan19 pointed it, I didn't notice that somebody already had posted my story.
    Yeah, I'm the guy in the link.
    I posted just a little while ago in more depth.
    My Thread
    Congratz mate, keep up the good work (oh and it's nice to see a fellow Scot on these boards. Got a feeling there arn't many of us! )
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    somebody LOST weight because of playing video games? well, that's different.

i have a feeling that "new healthy diet" and 3-4 gym visits a week have a lot more to do with his weight loss than playing RB.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    tnevaker;4583129 said:

i have a feeling that "new healthy diet" and 3-4 gym visits a week have a lot more to do with his weight loss than playing RB.
    Wasn't that the point of Wii Fit?
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited December 2011
    tnevaker;4583129 said:

Bulzeeb;4583136 said:
    Wasn't that the point of Wii Fit?

...or any body movement game (Kinect, PS Move, etc.)?
  • Funk-n-steinFunk-n-stein Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    tnevaker;4583129 said:

THIS. Playing drums on RockBand is infinitely better than sitting on a couch playing something like MW3, but the problem with these kind of articles is that people skip the part where he drastically changed his diet and started hitting the gym regularly and think, "OMG, I can lose weight just by playing video games!!"

That said. Serious congrats to this guy, I'm sure it wasn't easy to do, but he will be thankful for the investment in himself down the road.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Expert drumming has helped keep my weight off. When I stop playing as much, I actually gain a few pounds.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow. I would make a sarcastic joke about how he must have played What a Horrible Nigh to Have a Curse constantly, but this is a pretty cool story. Maybe I should start drumming more often.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, One of the reporters kinda took the idea that i drummed myself thin and ran with it but most of the work has came from regular gym visits and a good diet.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    tnevaker;4583129 said:

True indeed: It's always a combination of a lot of things: changes in diet, exercise, moderation. A friend of mine cut out his daily drinking of soda (went from 2-3 cans/day to 1 a week) and lost 10 lbs solely from that.

This article reminds me of the Subway commercials with Jared. Sure, he lost a ton of weight and eats Subway, but all of the exercise (like walking to Subway to eat) was probably the core at his losing weight.

But overall, it's awesome to see that he's losing weight and enjoying his new lifestyle. Happier and healthier is always the way to go.
    Athruis;4583314 said:
    Yeah, One of the reporters kinda took the idea that i drummed myself thin and ran with it but most of the work has came from regular gym visits and a good diet.

And there's the "he"! Congrats again on the weight loss. It's great to see success stories like this. :)
    edited December 2011
    I remember when I first drummed on Lego:RB. Sweat pouring off me after just 2 or 3 songs on Medium.

If you are out of shape enough, just losing a gallon of sweat would take off 8 lbs ;-)
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I did that a few years ago! Well, not 16 stone, I don't think, because I'm human, not a boulder, but I played like an hour a day and probably took off around 3 dress sizes.
    edited December 2011
    Funk-n-stein;4583165 said:
    THIS. Playing drums on RockBand is infinitely better than sitting on a couch playing something like MW3, but the problem with these kind of articles is that people skip the part where he drastically changed his diet and started hitting the gym regularly and think, "OMG, I can lose weight just by playing video games!!"

That said. Serious congrats to this guy, I'm sure it wasn't easy to do, but he will be thankful for the investment in himself down the road.

right, that's the problem i had with the article. this is how stupid ideas like "the rock band diet" get born. if playing rock band gives you the motivation, the desire, the confidence, etc. to lose weight and get more fit, then that's great, and a better written article would have focused on that. but to give it too much credit when the vast majority of the weight loss was almost certainly from diet modifications and gym exercise is a bit disingenuous... .but of course, it makes a more attention-grabbing article that way. an hour spent walking on a treadmill will probably burn more calories than 3-4 hours of rock band drumming. it's not that drumming won't burn calories, just not at the rate of actual exercise, and certainly not enough to lose that much weight. in fact, the drumming probably helped him lose more weight by keeping his hands too busy holding drum sticks instead of putting food in his mouth. a lot of people overeat out of boredom, so if drumming keeps you occupied and entertained, you'll be less likely to overeat. i know i tend to snack more when i'm bored or watching tv or something, and you can't snack like that when you're too busy keeping a drumbeat.

sadly, RB has probably helped me gain about 10lbs over the past year, by taking up time i would otherwise have spent going to the gym, biking, or doing other more active things. i can work up a sweat in a 5- or 6-hour drumming session, but it still doesn't make up for the more active things i would be doing otherwise.

oh yeah, and in case it's not clear, congrats to the guy in the article. it's not his fault the writer wanted to focus on RB to give it a more "interesting" take. and i suppose RB can use all the good publicity it can get these days.
    edited December 2011
    The calorie database says Drumming for an hour burns more calories than walking for an hour (3.0 MPH).

363 versus 299

And if you play Hard or Expert (getting the bass pedal flying), it'd be even more.
    edited December 2011
    Well you look at your average rowing machine, You burn 1 calorie per every 8-10m which on average is about 2-3 strides depending on how tall you are.
    Now say you play a decent lengh song lasting about 4 minutes with about 1800 possible beats/notes to hit, throw that all together with how heavy the song is with bass kicks and your looking at alot of calories burned. I know my math is nowhere near solid by any means but you can see what i mean.
    edited December 2011
    defdog99;4583342 said:
    The calorie database says Drumming for an hour burns more calories than walking for an hour (3.0 MPH).

363 versus 299

And if you play Hard or Expert (getting the bass pedal flying), it'd be even more.

and we all know how accurate those online calorie calculators are!

the problem with drumming as exercise is that, for the most part, if you're doing it properly, you're using mostly the small muscles of your body (wrists, forearms, ankles, calves... a little bit of your right quad if you're playing heel-up on the kick drum)... and you're sitting down the whole time. whereas with walking, you're using the big muscles of the legs, which use more energy and thus burn more calories. for the same reason that doing squats will burn more calories than doing arm curls, walking will burn more calories than drumming. and hopefully you're walking more than 3mph, which is awfully slow (for exercise you should be walking at least 4mph)

now, if you're playing double-kick speed medal on the drums, then it might be a different story. but for normal run-of-the-mill drumming, you shouldn't kid yourself that you're getting a significant workout.
    edited December 2011
    Athruis;4583347 said:
    Well you look at your average rowing machine, You burn 1 calorie per every 8-10m which on average is about 2-3 strides depending on how tall you are.
    Now say you play a decent lengh song lasting about 4 minutes with about 1800 possible beats/notes to hit, throw that all together with how heavy the song is with bass kicks and your looking at alot of calories burned. I know my math is nowhere near solid by any means but you can see what i mean.
    but all the calories you burn on a rowing machine comes from resistance and from using larger muscle groups (quads, hams and back on the rower). and a kick pedal and pair of drum sticks don't offer nearly the same resistance (although the RB stock kit pedal might come close)
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited December 2011
    So the only question I'm left with is, how much does a "stone" weigh? I mean, really? I wouldn't be bothered if they used kilos, but a "stone?" What is this, the 18th century?
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited December 2011
    BohemianMatt;4583425 said:
    So the only question I'm left with is, how much does a "stone" weigh? I mean, really? I wouldn't be bothered if they used kilos, but a "stone?" What is this, the 18th century?

Stones/Kilos/Pounds

Stones to Pounds

1 Stone = 14 Pounds
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    BohemianMatt;4583425 said:
    The upcoming Bush DLC would like to have a word with you.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2011
    defdog99;4583342 said:

363 versus 299

That calorie burn for drumming is for real drums, which involve a lot more movement around the kit than playing a 4-pad RB kit, on which you barely have to move your arms at all. You can't use that figure to calculate RB drumming calorie burn.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    I walk about 50-60 minutes a day, and drum about 2-3 hours a day. I have noticed I don't struggle with weight issues, and I sleep much better at night since I've been playing drums on RB.
    ( about 2 years now) I think it's a good moderate excercise, and I also like the cardio-vascular benefits. It definatly gets the heart rate up on expert. I would never go to a gym...blehhhh, but I use my drums as a healthy alternative. And it's oh so much more fun.
    edited December 2011
    And it goes the other way too...

Unless you are a newborn or steven hawking, your body is already hyper efficient at walking.
    You've been doing it for decades.
    The least amount of calories to get the most amount of walking.
    You need to run to shock the body.