The Year 2012 and the sounds it makes.

Comments

• Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    I'm getting behind already, I still need to check out the new Alcest and Loma Prieta
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Dr. Dog's new album Be The Void is coming out on February 7th.
    The Single: http://youtu.be/dmq7MSwUUAQ

The Growlers is supposed to be putting a record out produced by Dan Auerbach. I'm hoping it sounds nothing like the new Black Keys album.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited January 2012
    New Motorpsycho album "The Death Defying Unicorn" comes out February 6.

It's a double album.

Considering their last double album (Black Hole / Blank Canvas), I'm strangely comfortable with it.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2012
    new single from Trust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prv3SdQJ_yk

album's coming sometime early this year.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    i moderately enjoy Lana Del Rey...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2012
    franticfish;4617456 said:
    i moderately enjoy Lana Del Rey...

I'd say most of the people insulting her are doing it only because of her persona, rather than her actual music.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    Runesmith;4617560 said:
    I'd say most of the people insulting her are doing it only because of her persona, rather than her actual music.
    Heard about Lana Del Ray's SNL performance people were claiming sucked. Saw the clip on Youtube, can honestly say that it was better than most SNL performances I've seen in close to a decade and not in the category of shameful SNL Performances like Ashley Simpson or Kanye West.

That being said, her music itself is okay although not the style of music that fits me (doesn't have the dark aura or the musicianship that usually draws me in to a band's sound).
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    There's supposed to be a new Marina and the Diamonds album this year, but some of the singles released last year were unimpressive.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited January 2012
    Listened to the new Rodrigo y Gabriela. It's good, but the purpose of an improvisational acoustic duo is buried deep thanks to additional arrangements. Pretty much a rare moment where I'm complaining that an album is too maximal.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited January 2012
    The new Cloud Nothings rules.
    edited January 2012
    I am patiently waiting for the new Ceremony, I'm going to the record release party which makes me very happy, but I have to wait till march which makes me very sad.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2012
    MrFruitLord;4618308 said:
    The new Cloud Nothings rules.

i'll have to check that out, one of my friends turned me onto them last year
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2012
    I hate the new single from Sleigh Bells. Sigh...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4618016 said:
    Heard about Lana Del Ray's SNL performance people were claiming sucked. Saw the clip on Youtube, can honestly say that it was better than most SNL performances I've seen in close to a decade and not in the category of shameful SNL Performances like Ashley Simpson or Kanye West.

That being said, her music itself is okay although not the style of music that fits me (doesn't have the dark aura or the musicianship that usually draws me in to a band's sound).
    Agreed. It's kind of annoying how everyone began to deride her after Brian Williams (intelligently) criticisized her, or rather the music establishment that was building her up - what they don't understand, though, is that Brian was simply stating that he didn't think Lana had necessarily proved herself as a musician yet since she hadn't even released an EP, let alone a full album, by the time she was booked to play on SNL. That's it. It had very little to do with her talent or music from what I remember. And then the flood of "buhbuhbuh LDR doesn't write her own music" and "hurduhhurr she's just a pretty face hurr" Youtube comments followed.

Also, you might really dig two of Lana's songs, "Blue Jeans" and "Off to the Races." The first is an anthemic slowcore-ish folk tune, and the second is a dark song that combines Mafia showtune singing with a hip-hop beat.
    HeyRiles;4618461 said:
    I hate the new single from Sleigh Bells. Sigh...

It's a grower. Trust me. :)
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    I didn't mind the blas
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Runesmith;4617560 said:
    I'd agree. Lips aside, I kinda... don't mind her image though. It may be cynically marketed towards the indie/hipster demographic, but I still like that vintage-look regardless.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    franticfish;4618627 said:
    I'd agree. Lips aside, I kinda... don't mind her image though. It may be cynically marketed towards the indie/hipster demographic, but I still like that vintage-look regardless.
    Eh, it's been a while since major record labels have attempted to market to that demographic.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited January 2012
    clashcityrocker10;4618123 said:
    There's supposed to be a new Marina and the Diamonds album this year, but some of the singles released last year were unimpressive.

I actually liked Fear and Loathing and Radioactive much more than anything on Family Jewels. I'd say Radioactive is my favorite song from her, honestly. It's not profound, but I've had it stuck in my head for weeks at a time.

Also, I can't wait to actually listen to Born to Die all the way through once I get my motherboard back. :|
    edited January 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4619126 said:
    Eh, it's been a while since major record labels have attempted to market to that demographic.

Last time the major labels really attempted marketing to the "vintage" look, it wasn't vintage.

Most of the "vintage" bands in recent years to gain much success did so in spite of the record labels.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited January 2012
    The new Pharaoh song "Castles in the Sky" is pretty solid. Can't wait for their fourth album Bury the Light, which drops February 24th.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2012
    Runesmith;4618475 said:
    It's a grower. Trust me. :)

Oh haha, I just found out I listened to Born to Lose which came out in December. And it was terrible quality. And that's the one I really disliked

And today I just found out about Comeback Kid and I like it a whole lot more
    edited January 2012
    hey xiu xiu leaked
    edited February 2012
    The two new songs I've heard off of the Narrows album have left me really underwhelmed.
    edited February 2012
    Lameboy19;4620516 said:
    hey xiu xiu leaked

Pretty good, although not as good as Dear God, I Hate Myself.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    I've been digging the new Alcest, although if I have any problem with it, it's that it doesn't really sound like a progression from their last album. Maybe it's a little heavier, but it's more or less the same thing.

Which is great, mind you, but the year is young.
    edited February 2012
    MrFruitLord;4627015 said:
    The two new songs I've heard off of the Narrows album have left me really underwhelmed.

really? I thought the one on the AV club was really good
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited February 2012
    Listening to the newest Sigh song right now and I love it. It has awesome organ and a really sweet sax solo, March can't come soon enough.
    edited February 2012
    LegendofRock3021;4628813 said:
    Listening to the newest Sigh song right now and I love it. It has awesome organ and a really sweet sax solo, March can't come soon enough.

Wow.

A lot more melodic than I normally expect from Sigh, but quite impressive. Reminds me a bit of Unexpect in some ways.
    edited February 2012
    Lameboy19;4628781 said:
    really? I thought the one on the AV club was really good

They lacked the uniqueness of the first album, at least in my opinion.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2012
    The Dodecahedron LP rules.