Official Discussion - DLC Week of 1/17 - Singles from Korn and The Edgar Winter Group

edited April 2012 in Rock Band
hmxhenry;4599219 said:
In 1972, The Edgar Winter Group achieved commercial success with their fourth studio album, They Only Come Out at Night. The record contained two of Winters’ biggest hits – “Free Ride” and “Frankenstein” – both of which are headed to the Rock Band Music Store with full support for keyboards. A Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrade will also be available for the instrumental jam, “Frankenstein.”

More than 25 years later, metal band KoRn was getting its first taste of mainstream success. “Freak on a Leash,” off of 1998’s Follow the Leader, was one of the band’s most successful singles. The group found success again with its single “Falling Away From Me,” from 1999’s Issues, which peaked at number one on the Billboard charts.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system (January 17th, 2011):

• The Edgar Winter Group – “Free Ride” O
• The Edgar Winter Group – “Frankenstein” O X
• KoRn – “Freak on a Leash”
• KoRn – “Falling Away From Me”

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system January 18th)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points, 200 Wii Points) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!
hmxhenry;4603716 said:
Here are the Rock Band Network tracks for Thursday, 1/12/2012:

Alternative

Mafia Track Suit - "Fairweather Stranger" (80 MSP)

Hip-Hop/Rap

The Break Down - "Touch the Mic" (80 MSP)

Metal

Chaotrope - "Elysian" (80 MSP)
Chaotrope - "Extropy/Entropy" (80 MSP)
Chaotrope - "The Hourglass Paroxysm - Part I" (80 MSP)
Deadlock - "Martyr to Science (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
DRUOX - "Console War" (80 MSP)
DRUOX - "Console War (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
Ghost Brigade - "Clawmaster" (160 MSP)
Misery Index - "The Carrion Call (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
Morbid Angel - "Existo Vulgoré" (160 MSP)
Nordheim - "Beer, Metal, Trolls and Vomit! (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
Ultra Vomit - "Mountains of Maths" (160 MSP)

Novelty

Lemon Demon - "BRODYQUEST" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronic

Raggedy Angry - "Superjet" (80 MSP)

Prog

Rishloo - "Keyhole in the Sky" (80 MSP)

Rock

Cold Steel - "Inside" (80 MSP)
Miss Crazy - "Mow" (160 MSP)
Pan.a.ce.a - "Too Little Too Late" (80 MSP)

And here's the PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 1/17/2012 (North America) and Wednesday, 1/25/2012 (Europe - delayed):

Winds of Plague - "California" ($1.99) - Metal
Halfbrick Studios - "Pirats 'Til We Die" ($0.99) - Metal
Go Radio - "Any Other Heart" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
Vangough - "Estranger" ($0.99) - Prog
Rival Sons - "Torture" ($1.99) - Rock

The previous content announced for PS3 Europe on 1/18/2012 will be released on 1/25/2012 instead. We regret this delay and we are doing everything we can to make this content available for you as soon as possible.
EU PSN update:
hmxhenry;4603762 said:
Due to ongoing holiday store outages and related submission issues, the content below will be released on PS3 in Europe (aka SCEE) on 1/25/2012. Some of this content was previously announced for 1/18/2012 and we apologize for the confusion resulting from the holiday schedule.

Rush's 2112 (from 12/31)
Hall & Oates Pack 01 (from 1/10)
KoRn and The Edgar Winter Group (from 1/17)

The DLC announced on 1/20 should release in 1/25 as scheduled, adding 4 weeks of DLC to the SCEE store.

Something for the freaks on a leash as well as the classic rockers.

I will be snagging them all but am especially looking forward to Frankenstein & Freak on a Leash.

Discuss.

Snow in Texas story - Edgar Winter - He was born in TX.

Dragnet - Korn - Korn was formed by the members of a band called LAPD.

Deadliest Catch - Edgar Winter - My favorite person on the show was named Edgar.

Raymond Vid - Korn - The drummers name is Raymond.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Yay, Edgar Winter Group! Korn isn't too bad either, but I'm not enough of a fan to pick those two key-less tracks up.

Hint explanations:

Hint 1: The quote is from The Colour out of Space by HP Lovecraft (a horror story, which hints to Frankenstein), and the colored letters form the names of the Power Rangers from Power Rangers: The Movie, which had Free Ride in it.

Hint 2: This is a double Caesarian shift code! (the 'emperor' part alludes to it. Heaven means the regular letters are shifted by 7, Hell that the italicized letters are shifted by 6.

The text as a whole is a quote from the movie Queen of the Damned, which featured a lot of songs by Korn's Jonathan Davis. The italicized letters, when decoded, are the names 'Al Simmons' and 'Jason Wynn' in reverse. These are two main characters from the movie Spawn, which again featured Korn on the soundtrack.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Psyched for the Edgar Winter Group tracks!

Hint explanations:

Hints 1 and 2 were posters for the movies "Take Me Home Tonight" and "Back to the Future." They were placed next to each other in subsequent posts because the two would eventually need to be joined.

Hint 3 was a link to "Music," which just meant to look at the soundtracks of the two movies.

Hint 4, "What's Your Name," was the final clue. This was a clue to look for songs within each movie's soundtrack that featured names in the titles. Two such songs were "Johnny B. Goode" (Back to the Future) and "Bette Davis Eyes" (Take Me Home Tonight). Combining the names gives us Jonathan Davis, the lead singer of Korn.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited January 2012
    Nice guesses, people! Only EWG for me, though.
  • EpidehlEpidehl Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    Getting everything. Awesome, awesome varied week.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2012
    Heard of Korn, but not the other. Congrats to fans!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited January 2012
    What? I would have never guessed these!

Getting it all.

And as for that guy who started the "Rock Band 4 should be M-rated" thread:

There's the Korn.
  • prodrummer1prodrummer1 Rising Star
    edited January 2012
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Will definitely be buying the Edgar Winter songs, been waiting for those for a while now, might get Freak on a leash even though that song is a bit weird for my liking but played it quite a bit on GH WT.
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    YESYESYESYES All of the KoRn!

Will have to check out Ed Winters later, but both KoRn cuts are BOUGHT!
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Nice picks HMX, everything for me this week.

Plus, The Break Down - "Touch the Mic" is going to be awwwwwwwwwwesome.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    Likely getting all of it.
  • SkrazemSkrazem Opening Act
    edited January 2012
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited January 2012
    3 awesome Guitar Hero repeats. Bought.
  • Whizzer191Whizzer191 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Not a fan of that Korn song when I played it in GH:WT. Will give it another listen when the full charts are up, next Tuesday.

Never heard of Edgar Winter Group, but initial responses deem me hopeful.

Edit:

Both Edgar Winter Group songs sound delicious to me! It's been a while since an unkown artist came to Rock Band, completely blowing me away.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Edgar Winter Group? I've heard of that band before but I've never actually listened to them. ON YOUTUBE!

Ah, finally some good Korn. I'm getting these ones for sure.
  • dansolodansolo Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    Awesome, all instabuys
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Well, Freak On A Leash is decent, albeit an extremely low priority. No idea who The Edgar Winter Group are.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Sweet, a surprise week!

"Meh" on the Korn, but the two EWG tracks are delicious and very much appreciated.

I can cross EWG off my list. Foghat gets bumped up a spot.
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    AWESOME - I have been wanting Edgar Winter since RB3 announced the keyboard addition. Now i'll actually have to use the keyboard as a keytar as Edgar does in concert.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited January 2012
    What's with people not knowing Edgar Winter Group?
  • CrueHead871CrueHead871 Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    Oh my FREAKING GOD!!!!!! I honestly didn't think we'd ever see these EWG songs! HMX, you are on a roll!! Man, oh man, do I love this game! Thank you, thank you, thank you...1,000x thank you!!! Korn picks are also nice additions(finally).
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    Isn't Frankenstein a GH-repeat? Might get it because of the Pro Guitar though. KoRn - No Pro No Sale.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    I managed to pull Korn out of Queen of the Damned, and someone came up with the movie Spawn as well, but missed that it was also a Korn connection.

Manget, you are an evil genius. Those hints were complicated enough to be unsolvable but still totally fair.

I'll be getting Frankenstein and Freak on a Leash soon if not immediately, for the others I'll have to poll my bandmates.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Whoa. Korn REALLY surprised me. Awesome news, and awesome tracks! I've been wondering why we've only had Word Up until now. Will get both tracks!

I have no idea who The Edgar Winter Group is. I'll have to listen to those tracks.
    edited January 2012
    Whizzer191;4604450 said:
    Not a fan of that Korn song when I played it in GH:WT. Will give it another listen when the full charts are up, next Tuesday.

Never heard of Edgar Winter Group, but initial responses deem me hopeful.

If you've seen any movies the past 20 years which are set in the 70's, you've heard the Edgar Winter Group songs before. Both include memorable guitar and/or keyboard riffs.
    edited January 2012
    dog037;4604457 said:
    What's with people not knowing Edgar Winter Group?

Heathens, I tell ya.
  • JohnWafflesJohnWaffles Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    I have to admit, I didn't recognize EWG by name, but I listened to both and recognized them. Super stoked for this week, buying everything.
  • LeodwyldLeodwyld Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    I'm the one who found the Spawn clues, and I even looked towards the movie for more clues, but I looked at the actor names instead of the soundtrack (don't know why I didn't think to do that).

Edit: I only can get one right now, since I just got the H&O pack and, since I favor getting new artists over existing, I am going to get one of the Edgar Winter tracks (probably Frankenstein)
  • PurplestratPurplestrat Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    Nice to see some more Korn songs! Hope this opens the door for some of the better tracks later.

This will be the first new release songs I have bought since The Darkness.