January artist of the month?

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited January 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Is it just late, or has this been discontinued?

Comments

• mrjsr05mrjsr05 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4600975 said:
    Is it Evanescence are they the Artist of the month.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited January 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4600975 said:

We've decided to discontinue the program.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    So will the rb3 store be stuck with the december artist forever?
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    there are many artists more deserving than some that did get the honor.. why is it being discontinued?
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah why is it being discontinued? It didn't seem like it was that much trouble to do.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    That sucks, I hope they change their mind ad bring it back. I mean, one artist a month didn't seem like it was too big a chore.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Extreme disappointment, very displeased HMX.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited January 2012
    Why would artist of the month be scrapped? It helped point out great RBN tracks, and I don't think it would have been too hard to continue.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Wouldn't it be an alternative to let the RBN authors choose the artist of the month themselves?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited January 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4601363 said:
    Why would artist of the month be scrapped? It helped point out great RBN tracks, and I don't think it would have been too hard to continue.
    Depends. Doesn't it usually come with an interview?

Plus, it's possible that the sales DIDN'T really move from Artist of the Month.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    I await a reasoning for this.
  • edited January 2012
    To provide some additional info, we're discontinuing the Artist of the Month for a few reasons, with a few alternatives planned as well.

Why is AOTM being discontinued?
    - It was initially designed as a promotional tool, but after looking at a full year of stats it became clear that it didn't move the needle at all in terms of promotions, exposure or community interest. That is a not so great tool, so we're looking at much more effective ones.
    - The amount of behind the scenes work for AOTM (interviews, artist / label cross promotion, writing language for promotions, changing the store feature, etc) became kind of overwhelming for the amount of responses we saw from the program.
    - With so much content coming out of RBN, it became WAY too unbalanced to only feature one band each month.

What's the plan moving forward?
    - More regular promotions for RBN content via Facebook and Twitter. With such a constant flow of DLC, we could more easily feature a different band weekly in a more conversational way than the more markety AOTM.
    - Authoring groups are doing super thorough looks at new releases and we're talking about how we can give those write ups more visibility.
    - We are still super invested in having bands / artists / labels / authoring groups use RockBand.com and our platforms as promotional tools, but believe it or not, we have had literally hundreds of offers for interviews, blog posts and features end with "that sounds awesome, I'll get right back to you!" Then nothing. We totally want to do more to showcase bands, but getting them on board has sometimes been a struggle. We're looking at how to improve the process.

So that's a deeper dive on the "we've decided to discontinue the program" response, and hopefully it gives everyone a better idea of why AOTM wasn't the most effective tool and show that we're considering other options to better promote RBN releases in the future. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to shout them out here!
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the response.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    hmxhenry;4601441 said:
    If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to shout them out here!

I would have any easier time believing input matters if this hadn't been shut down without any consultation with authors and no notice giving. Oh and an authoring group have to create a post asking about AOTM.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Sounds great, Henry! Thanks for the response.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited January 2012
    Well, OK, that makes sense I guess. I'm gonna miss that section, though. Is sure hope RBN Highlights isn't over.
  • edited January 2012
    Catch-22;4601453 said:
    I would have any easier time believing input matters if this hadn't been shut down without any consultation with authors and no notice giving. Oh and an authoring group have to create a post asking about AOTM.

Since AOTM was a marketing function I'm not sure why we would have consulted with authoring groups (since it was something that was entirely HMX run with the assistance of the labels with no input from authoring groups during its existence that I can recall) any more so than we'd consult with authors if we wanted to hire a plane to fly around with an RBN banner.

Now that we've determined what we're not going to do, we're all for turning to the community to propose new and thoughtful initiatives. If people liked AOTM, what did they like about it? If they didn't like it, what would they find more appealing? If you'd like to get involved now that the doors are open, go for it. Honestly, given the number of views and the level of discourse generated by AOTM (to say nothing of how frequently it updated weeks late) I'm surprised anyone noticed it wasn't updated.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2012
    I for one didn't care about AOTM and barely even noticed it. I find things like Fairwood's thread in the main RB section be a lot more illuminating about RBN content.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    Hmm.

I did have a hypothesis to why AotM was discontinued, and HMXHenry's reply actually compliments it rather than dissuade...

But anyway, it's a bit disappointing how many bands would have at least appreciated the recognition, even if it really didn't equate to more sales or anything.

EDIT: Would it have helped more if a majority of AotMs actually had more than two songs in the store when promoted? I doubt it would help sales when there's only a couple choices available. How much did it help RoJ? Amberian Dawn?
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2012
    Shame as believe it or not a few of my purchases were purely because of AOTM... i always used the exposure they were given to at least check out the songs on youtube and see if they grabbed me.

So many songs are released on RBN and almost none of them ive ever heard of - as such truthfully i only even preview maybe 5% of all released on the RBN never mind demos or purchase them outright. AOTM was my excuse to at least check out someone new every month... however based on the reasons given by Henry i guess i can see why theyve discountinued it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited January 2012
    Maybe have an artist or song of the week for RBN, and promote it during the DLC announcements on Friday or something? Post it on Facebook and Twitter...doesn't necessarily have to be an artist or song released that week from RBN. The Friday announcement time seems to be when most eyes are focused on Harmonix goings on, so that would appear to be the best time to do it. Maybe like an hour/hour hour before the DLC announcement?

Maybe the song or artist of the week will hold more weight coming from Harmonix proper? I know Fairwood has done one a day, and we've promoted our past material, but it hasn't had a whole lot of effect. But again that might change if it's coming from Harmonix.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2012
    Problem with HMX dlc is its not just HMX pushing it thats driving its sales but its also the fact anything they announce for the week also gets picked up and brought up everywhere else as well... from Xboxachievements.com to your big gaming sites like Kotaku/IGN etc as well as the more obvious sites devoted to music games themselves.

I suppose most people would notice the RBN AOTM if it was announced on a friday before the DLC announcement but it would be just for that short spell before it gets buried under the usual ephoria and despair by the different groups of people at what is announced as the main DLC. Even if it was announced at the same time as the first DLC of the week for any given month most would still just really skim Henrys post till they saw what the DLC was before praising/wenting and move on.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited January 2012
    What's Artist of the Month?
  • andybogardngandybogardng Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    I'm in the same boat as Skode, I purchased all the artist of the month songs even when I never heard of the artist before. Sad to see it go.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    BachiG;4605188 said:
    What's Artist of the Month?

They announce a very popular RBN artist on their blog.