Cover songs you like better than the originals

Comments

• A few ones I like better:

Nico Vega - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
    Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb
    Kirsty MacColl - A New England
    Genitorturers - Touch Myself
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Passenger
    Amanda Palmer - Creep
    Unwoman - Seven Nation Army
    Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams
  • MythsOfMetalMythsOfMetal Unsigned
    edited October 2015
    Wildcat15 said:

I prefer Blind Guardian's cover of "Spread Your Wings" to the original done by Queen.

And their version of Barbara Ann and Long Tall Sally was good too.
    Also, I liked Antisocial by Anthrax more than the original (maybe just because it's heavier).
    I agree on "Barbara Ann/Long Tall Sally." There's also Blind Guardian's covers of "Surfin' USA," "Dream a Little Dream of Me," and "Beyond the Realms of Death" which I all prefer to the originals.
  • madcapmattmadcapmatt Road Warrior
    image not better than the original by any means but I didn't see a better thread to post a reggae version of Thriller and I didn't want to start a new thread. They also did a cover of Billie Jean image I'd never heard of these guys but they were playing on the background music between bands at an open mic night I went to earlier tonight.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Even though the original is also great, I've loved the RATM version of The Ghost of Tom Joad from the first second I listened to it.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

image not better than the original by any means but I didn't see a better thread to post a reggae version of Thriller and I didn't want to start a new thread. They also did a cover of Billie Jean image I'd never heard of these guys but they were playing on the background music between bands at an open mic night I went to earlier tonight.

They do more than Michael Jackson, they've got some great covers of Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and The Beatles too
  • SenseiLeRoofSenseiLeRoof Road Warrior
    edited September 2016
    Pat Benatar's cover of "Wuthering Heights" (original: Kate Bush) is easier to understand and less shrieky-high.

And for those who have or haven't seen Kubo and the Two Strings, Regina Spektor performs an AMAZING cover of the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" during its ending credits.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    Really like the covers Katy Goodman has been releasing lately, if not better definitely on par.
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited December 2016
    Halestorm has a new covers EP coming in January, and they released one of the songs on it tonight. It's "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake. And I must say, it's pretty damn good.

Incidentally, the other five covers on the EP are Twenty-one Pilots's "Heathens," Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You," Sophie B. Hawkins's "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover," Soundgarden's "Fell On Black Days," and finally, in what I think is the most interesting of the bunch that I look forward to hearing, Metallica's "Ride The Lightning."
  • Some of my favourites are a bit quirky, but here goes:

'Everytime' - Yashin (Originally by Britney Spears)

'Mr. Boombastic' - Forever Never feat. Benji Webbe of Skindred (Originally by Shaggy)

'Run Like Hell' - Kittie (Originally by Pink Floyd)

'Love on the Rocks' - Jonathan Davis of Korn (Originally by Neil Diamond)

'Wish' - The Dillinger Escape Plan (Originally by Nine Inch Nails)

'Kidnap the Sandy Claws' - Korn (Originally by Danny Elfman for The Nightmare Before Christmas) ;)

I'm sure there's more, I love a good cover version!
  • (Originally by Britney Spears)

I've learned that her music tends to be good as long as she's not singing it.
  • (Originally by Britney Spears)

I've learned that her music tends to be good as long as she's not singing it.
    Yeah, I'm not a Britney fan, but some of her songs are hard not to like. Covers give me an excuse to listen to them :D
  • The Ghost Of Tom Joad - Rage Against The Machine (Springsteen)
    Some Kind Of Wonderful - Joss Stone (Grand Funk)
    Runaway - Bonnie Riatt (Del Shannonl)
    Paranoid - Type-O Negative (Sabbathl)
    Slave To The Grind - Halestorm (Skid Row)
    Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica (Thin Lizzy.The Dubliners - actually a traditional Irish folkie so take yer pick)
    Landslide - Dixie Chicks (Mac)
    Sound Of Silence - Disturbed (Simon & Garfunkel)
    Shout 2000 - Disturbed (Tears For Fears Shout)
    Hazy Shade Of Winter - The Bangles ( (Simon & Garfunkel)

good enuff start........
  • I like AFI's cover of Head like a Hole more than NIN.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Graveyard BBQ - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  • Another RATM -

Maggie's Farm (Dylan)

Little blasphemy - think Aerosmith's version is better -

I'm Down (Beatles)

And a cover that is not technically really a cover, just a different artist and version of the same group -

Oh Well - Lindsey Buckingham, Mac live (Peter Green, Mac original)
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    HOLY ****!!!

Have you heard Halestorm's cover of Ride The Lightning?
  • Not impressed by the Halestorm cover of Ride The Lightning. Then again I'm not a fan of this band at all.

That being said, this cover does undo my theory of anyone covering a Metallica song makes it sound better.
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers recorded the definitive version of Higher Ground as far as I'm concerned.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I for some reason really like the covers of "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "March of the Pigs" (originally by the Ramones and Nine Inch Nails, respectively) by Superhumanoids. I'm not saying they're better than the originals, but I personally prefer them, so if you like slow tempo electronica, I'd urge you to check them out.
  • Moonsorrow did an awesome cover of Rotting Christ's Non Serviam. Between this and their cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls my new theory is that Moonsorrow are just awesome at making covers.