Demos: Why???

StuddiedApollo8StuddiedApollo8 Unsigned
edited January 2012 in The Rock Band Network
recently I've been noticing these "trial" songs in the rockshop, and in the DLC menu and it bothers me. Why have demo songs?? that doesn't make sense to me, I mean what's the point of having them?? is what Harmonix trying to do is put up songs that people might want to buy and then make them available based on how many downloads they have?
I just get annoyed that some of the demo songs are ones I'd really like to have but aren't available to buy. Pretty much a huge tease get me going on a song then suddenly yoink it away at the good parts.
anyone else confused by this whole demo business??

Comments

• FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited January 2012
    Uh... any song that has a demo also has a full version available. In fact, if memory serves, you're actually downloading the full song when you download a demo; it's just got a few cripple bits that keep you from playing the whole thing.

At least this is all true on the 360. I can't vouch for other systems.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited January 2012
    Yeah. If there's a demo then there's a full version. Matter of fact after you play the demo it asks you if you want to download the full song.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited January 2012
    I'm pretty sure PlayStation 3 doesn't get RBN trials and am even more sure that the Wii didn't.

I never bother with the trial songs. The audio sample usually represents the song better than the first minute.
  • StuddiedApollo8StuddiedApollo8 Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    nope, there are songs that specifically say "demo" in the rock shop and they say "trial" in the DLC menu. a whole lot of demo songs are in the rockshop that have no full version nor does it say to download the full version after playing the demo. This is on the 360 and I'll try and write down some of the songs that don't have the full version later. Not to mention only certain songs have demos Paralyzer I know is one song that has a demo but I can't find it in the rock shop as well as fake it.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited January 2012
    Dandy, but you're STILL wrong. Play the demo. Finish it. Click 'Buy Full Song'. WHOA. It's almost like that's the full song or something!
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    EVERY SONG with a demo has a full version. I own both of the songs you mentioned. Look harder. Period end of discussion.
    edited January 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4612997 said:
    Yeah. If there's a demo then there's a full version. Matter of fact after you play the demo it asks you if you want to download the full song.

like I said it never asks me to download the full version, it just put me to the rockband menu and says "retry" "main" or "delete" that's all.
    edited January 2012
    StuddiedApollo8;4613010 said:
    like I said it never asks me to download the full version, it just put me to the rockband menu and says "retry" "main" or "delete" that's all.
    So just go back to the Store and click Buy, rather than do it from the demo.
    edited January 2012
    Catch-22;4613009 said:
    EVERY SONG with a demo has a full version. I own both of the songs you mentioned. Look harder. Period end of discussion.

I have, I've looked in the P section, I've looked through artists and many of the demo songs I do look up don't show up in the Rockshop.
    edited January 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4613014 said:
    So just go back to the Store and click Buy, rather than do it from the demo.

I don't know if what I'm saying isn't getting through I'm trying to make myself clear. There is no option to buy on the the rockshop for me all it says is DEMO there's no option to buy the song nor is there a quick and easy way to find it when it shows a song, for example what I just used Paralyzer, all it says is DEMO there is no option to buy nor is there just a regular version of the song that doesn't have DEMO on the side of it I've tried scowering through the DLC menu for the xbox but again there's no fast way of doing it. It's not like you can just type in the name of the song or the artist and it'll send you to it. for me Rockshop must not be working correctly.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    StuddiedApollo8;4613015 said:
    I have, I've looked in the P section, I've looked through artists and many of the demo songs I do look up don't show up in the Rockshop.

Is this Rock Band 3?

Are you looking under "Rock Band" or "Rock Band Network"? You may be looking in the wrong spot.

EDIT: Another thought I had, may be way off but it's worth a shot. Do you have Parental Controls enabled? The content may be being blocked somehow.
    edited January 2012
    Go through the Rock band 3 in game store then.

There are no songs that are just demos.

I work as an authoring group for RBN.

Trust me on this.
  • ASPKevASPKev Opening Act
    edited January 2012
    If you can't find the full versions available in the store in game, then maybe try buying the songs through the Xbox Live website/RBNreleases? There's links to both full and trial versions of every song on the RBN.
    http://rbnreleases.com/

Remember, if the song hasn't hit the store officially (i.e. New songs that just passed within the past few days), then it's advised not to buy them until they are in the store as to avoid having to rebuy it later if an error is found and the song pulled.
    edited January 2012
    Arcanon;4613024 said:
    Is this Rock Band 3?
    no, I'm playing Rockband 2 there's no way I can find to separate Rockband 1,2 and 3 songs to show one particular group (as I'm sure there's no way to do that). There has been an update for the Rockshop I've already noticed that because it looks different from when I had it downloaded last (that was about 4 months ago). it's a little smoother now. But I am looking under Rockband I've also noticed they show up in the network too. This isn't really a problem, my main focus was: why have demos in the first place?
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    There are demos because it's a stipulation from Microsoft. There you go.
    edited January 2012
    my main problem is why have demos in the first place though, I just don't see a point to having them, there's already a preview function (that hardly works) not to mention there's a difficulty menu on the side of every song so you already know how difficult it is with each instrument. I mean if you really wanted to preview the song you could always just look it up, but why spend the day going through over 2000 songs just to possibly purchase a song you've never even heard of? That seems a bit redundant to me. I mean there are 2000 songs in there I sure you could start with the ones that you like first then go on to risk your money buying a song you might not even like playing. I don't like that about DLC but then again that's the rules for all DLC which makes sense. I mean how many people make a decision to buy a song after only playing it for maybe 35 seconds?
    edited January 2012
    What's the DOWNSIDE to having demos?

There isn't one.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited January 2012
    StuddiedApollo8;4614135 said:
    my main problem is why have demos in the first place though, I just don't see a point to having them, there's already a preview function (that hardly works) not to mention there's a difficulty menu on the side of every song so you already know how difficult it is with each instrument.

to, instead of just listening to it, also let you actually see bits of the chart. as these are rbn songs, they are made by authoring groups, and not by HMX. and therefore charting may be (but never really is) really really bad.
    if i would have downloaded the demo for the splosion man theme song for example, i would have never bought it simply cause that chart is horrible
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4614152 said:
    What's the DOWNSIDE to having demos?

There isn't one.
    Well, I don't like how they push the songs I bought out of the Latest Purchases organizer thingy whatever (especially after I delete the demoes, the other songs are still gone from that >_>)...
    But that's not a deal breaker! :3
    edited January 2012
    StuddiedApollo8;4614133 said:
    no, I'm playing Rockband 2 there's no way I can find to separate Rockband 1,2 and 3 songs to show one particular group (as I'm sure there's no way to do that). There has been an update for the Rockshop I've already noticed that because it looks different from when I had it downloaded last (that was about 4 months ago). it's a little smoother now. But I am looking under Rockband I've also noticed they show up in the network too. This isn't really a problem, my main focus was: why have demos in the first place?

There you go.

Every bit of RBN DLC Since March of 2011 will not work in Rock Band 2.

So I don't know if the demo's do or not (I can't imagine they do), but those songs won't show up for purchase in RB2 since they're not available.
  • edited January 2012
    StuddiedApollo8;4614135 said:
    my main problem is why have demos in the first place though, I just don't see a point to having them, there's already a preview function (that hardly works) not to mention there's a difficulty menu on the side of every song so you already know how difficult it is with each instrument. I mean if you really wanted to preview the song you could always just look it up, but why spend the day going through over 2000 songs just to possibly purchase a song you've never even heard of? That seems a bit redundant to me. I mean there are 2000 songs in there I sure you could start with the ones that you like first then go on to risk your money buying a song you might not even like playing. I don't like that about DLC but then again that's the rules for all DLC which makes sense. I mean how many people make a decision to buy a song after only playing it for maybe 35 seconds?

How does the preview function hardly work? And who is going to preview every song in one go? And what do you mean "risk your money on something you might not like playing"? Isn't that a good reason to have trails? I honestly don't see what your problem is.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    I try to listen to the preview for each RBN release as long as it's not a double bass chart or something I already know I don't like. If the preview sounds interesting I'll download the demo. If the chart and song seem interesting during the demo, I buy the song. Sure, the previews could load faster, and there could be better integration of the store with the song selection (ie. a jump to this song's store page, in case the prompt to buy a song at the end of the chart is canceled accidentally), but it's a decent way to sample RBN content.
  • J-Roc-DrumzJ-Roc-Drumz Rising Star
    edited January 2012
    I think using RB2 to buy em is your problem.

I love the demo option cause it really helps me keep track of the songs I want to buy or look up later, vs trying to remember them or write em down on a piece of paper somewhere.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited January 2012
    I play a demo of every RBN song there is* It's how I decide what RBN songs I want. It's fun to get a bit of the charts, and hear bits of the song.

The availalbity of Demos is one of the biggest selling points of the RBN for me.

* I skip all x2 bass pedal songs, and I won't play the demo (just listen to the preview) if the song is really high difficulty on Drum/Bass/Guitar than 0 or 1 dot on vocals because 99% of the time, it's cookie monster vocals and I don't buy those.