The "Assassin's Creed III" Discussion Thread

BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
edited December 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
First trailer

Ubisoft's media sites unveiled Assassin's Creed III earlier this week. They reported that Ubisoft has been working on this title for three years now. A release date of October 30th, 2012, is already in place.

Original release info from Game Informer.

An interesting take by Now Gamer.

February 29: Kotaku article showing possibly leaked image of the new assassin.

March 1: GameInformer March cover set to feature Assassin's Creed III and box art reveal.

March 5: Reveal Trailer

June 8: "Frontier" Gameplay (Commentary version)
"Naval Warfare" Gameplay

June 13: Assassin's Creed III Liberation, a full title for the PSVita, also set during the revolution, featuring a female protagonist.

July 2: Four new Videos! (Including Assassin's Creed III Liberation Trailer):
4th of July Trailer
Official E3 Cinematic Trailer (My personal favorite)
Marketplac Massacre Gameplay Video
ACIII:Liberation Trailer

August 23: Inside Assassin's Creed 3 (Four part making-of series):
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

September 6: New TV Trailer

October 4: PS3 players will get an exclusive one hour DLC for AC3, and all consoles will get The Tyranny of King George DLC. There will also be a season pass available that will include all the DLC for AC3 for a discount.

Newest trailer: Connor Story Trailer showing how he becomes an Assassin.

October 17: IGN's Making of Assassin's Creed III:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

October 23: Assassin's Creed III interactive trailer.

October 29: Final Launch Trailer

Updates to follow.

Comments

  • edited March 2012
    Bulzeeb;4661027 said:

    Pretty much why I haven't played Revelations to this day.

    I the game's defense: if you don't go nuts when the Templar awareness meter is full, you'll have to play the minigame exactly once in the entire game. Still makes it unnecessary.

    The first person sections, though, are absolutely terrible, and feel a lot less optional because you'll miss out on a lot of backstory if you skip them. I'm still flabbergasted that Ubi thought it would be a good idea to create a DLC package that consists only of the absolute worst part of the game.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    I thought the tower defense wasn't that bad. In the AC:R thread, I seemed to be the only one who thought so though. I only lost once, after all.

    As for the FPS Desmond sections, I though they were great in concept, but I didn't think it was possible for a game developer to F-up FPS controls so bad in this day and age. They felt like Desmond was loaded up on painkillers and walking around in maple syrup.
  • edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4661061 said:

    As for the FPS Desmond sections, I though they were great in concept, but I didn't think it was possible for a game developer to F-up FPS controls so bad in this day and age. They felt like Desmond was loaded up on painkillers and walking around in maple syrup.

    That and the theme for the actual level design seemed to be 'come on, guys, I knew that if we try very hard, we can make these levels look even blander!' Minimalism can lead to beautiful aesthetics, but that's certainly not the case here.

    Revelations isn't all bad, though. I like the fact that I can do all the optional stuff pretty much from the get-go. I'm not even done with DNA section 2 yet and I already have a master assassin in almost every den. And the ziplines and the classic bsic gameplay are certainly fun. But overall it seems a bit... uninspired, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of the aesthetics (Constantinople doesn't seem to have nearly as much character as it could have). That and I'm not a big fan of some of the retconning that's been going on.

    I've heard, though, that a lot of people on the AC2 team have worked on AC3 while other teams did Brotherhood/Revelations. If so, it might be the breath of fresh air the series needs. As I said, i'm really looking forward to it.
  • edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4661061 said:

    As for the FPS Desmond sections, I though they were great in concept, but I didn't think it was possible for a game developer to F-up FPS controls so bad in this day and age. They felt like Desmond was loaded up on painkillers and walking around in maple syrup.

    That and the theme for the actual level design seemed to be 'come on, guys, I knew that if we try very hard, we can make these levels look even blander!' Minimalism can lead to beautiful aesthetics, but that's certainly not the case here.

    Revelations isn't all bad, though. I like the fact that I can do all the optional stuff pretty much from the get-go. I'm not even done with DNA section 2 yet and I already have a master assassin in almost every den. And the ziplines and the classic bsic gameplay are certainly fun. But overall it seems a bit... uninspired, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of the aesthetics (Constantinople doesn't seem to have nearly as much character as it could have). That and I'm not a big fan of some of the retconning that's been going on.

    I've heard, though, that a lot of people on the AC2 team have worked on AC3 while other teams did Brotherhood/Revelations. If so, it might be the breath of fresh air the series needs. As I said, i'm really looking forward to it.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    I just realized that this game implies that Desmond's ancestors from Italy migrated to the Americas at some point and bumped uglies with the Native Americans
  • edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4661182 said:
    I just realized that this game implies that Desmond's ancestors from Italy migrated to the Americas at some point and bumped uglies with the Native Americans

    Let's take a look at the AC timeline, shall we?

    1488 - Ezio loses Apple of Eden to Savonarola.

    1489-1493 - No information on where Ezio is at this moment in time.

    1494 - Ezio shows up again in Italy.


    Real world timeline:

    1492 - Columbus arrives in the Americas.

    1494 - First known cases of syphilis in Italy.

    Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    Whelp, I laughed out loud
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Wasn't there a game on the PSP or something where Ezio went to the Americas? Or is that not canon?

    As for the den defense thing in Revelations, I found it frustrating but oddly challenging, as well. I don't know, I only played the mini-game once or twice and I got that "don't use the cannon" achievement or whatever it was. That was all I wanted to get out of den defense; mission accomplished.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    clashcityrocker10;4661295 said:
    Wasn't there a game on the PSP or something where Ezio went to the Americas? Or is that not canon?

    The only one on PSP I can remember is Bloodlines, but that was Altair
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    clashcityrocker10;4661295 said:
    Wasn't there a game on the PSP or something where Ezio went to the Americas? Or is that not canon?

    As for the den defense thing in Revelations, I found it frustrating but oddly challenging, as well. I don't know, I only played the mini-game once or twice and I got that "don't use the cannon" achievement or whatever it was. That was all I wanted to get out of den defense.

    I thought there haven't been any mobile AC games since the AC1 era.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    This is the game I was thinking of, but it doesn't involve Ezio going to the New World.

    Also, it turns out that while Assassin's Creed III will likely end the Desmond story (as expected), there is, of course, room for new titles. Best of all? They wouldn't be held to a yearly release schedule.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4661182 said:
    I just realized that this game implies that Desmond's ancestors from Italy migrated to the Americas at some point and bumped uglies with the Native Americans

    Not necessarily. The AC3 star might not be related to Ezio. He just has to be related to Desmond in some way. It's the same as the whole "Altair and Ezio aren't related" thing.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    clashcityrocker10;4661311 said:
    This is the game I was thinking of, but it doesn't involve Ezio going to the New World.

    Oh, I remember that one now. When AC:B was announced, Ubisoft mentioned that part of the game would take place in Spain, and I was ecstatic. When I played it and realized it was just a short, super linear final mission kill-a-thon, I was more than disappointed.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4661334 said:
    When AC:B was announced, Ubisoft mentioned that part of the game would take place in Spain, and I was ecstatic. When I played it and realized it was just a short, super linear final mission kill-a-thon, I was more than disappointed.

    Ah, yeah. See, being an Italian language and literature major (as well as a political science major, but that's irrelevant to the discussion) right now in college and a general Italophile, the trilogy of games involving Ezio, especially the first two, were quite fun for me.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    One of my biggest hopes is that they'll bring back horseback riding/combat and make it worth using. It was fun, if not very effective in AC2, then it was awful in AC:B, since you couldn't even gallop besides the two or three horse chase missions.

    Red Dead Redemption style controls/physics would work well. Combine that with the horse-to-horse assassinations, and you've got a winning combination.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    Now here is a thread that might make me want to be a member of this forum again :p

    I've been thinking about possible assassination targets for a game set in colonial America and have come up with....absolutely no one. Canon so far hasn't revealed anyone from this era as a Templar (all the real people said to be Templars are either from antiquity or times even more modern). They have established George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte as having held a Piece of Eden. It's a mortal lock that Washington will be a character in the game.

    And I wonder how fast-and-loose they'll play with history. It's tougher to take liberties with historical fiction the more recent the history is. To whit, the seemingly blindingly obvious assassination target - Benedict Arnold. In real life, he didn't die until over a decade after the war ended. And he died of gout. Another possibility I thought of was a mission to save Nathan Hale, doomed to failure of course, and you take it out on his executioners.

    The assassin on the boxart appears male (sigh), but I thought it would be outstanding if the ancestor was Agent 355. She's been fictionalized into a video game at least once before, but come on, what a juicy possibility.

    I'm excited to learn more, and by all accounts it seems that further details are coming soon.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    Is that

    Is that
    Is that
    Is that

    Anyway, I was never big on this series.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I & II have bored me out with their repetitiveness so much that I didn't touch Brotherhood & Revelations to date, but I really like the new setting. If it delivers the breath of fresh air which the franchise desperately needs, I'm in.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4661540 said:
    Now here is a thread that might make me want to be a member of this forum again :p

    I've been thinking about possible assassination targets for a game set in colonial America and have come up with....absolutely no one. Canon so far hasn't revealed anyone from this era as a Templar (all the real people said to be Templars are either from antiquity or times even more modern). They have established George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte as having held a Piece of Eden. It's a mortal lock that Washington will be a character in the game.

    And I wonder how fast-and-loose they'll play with history. It's tougher to take liberties with historical fiction the more recent the history is. To whit, the seemingly blindingly obvious assassination target - Benedict Arnold. In real life, he didn't die until over a decade after the war ended. And he died of gout. Another possibility I thought of was a mission to save Nathan Hale, doomed to failure of course, and you take it out on his executioners.

    The assassin on the boxart appears male (sigh), but I thought it would be outstanding if the ancestor was Agent 355. She's been fictionalized into a video game at least once before, but come on, what a juicy possibility.

    I'm excited to learn more, and by all accounts it seems that further details are coming soon.
    I'm down for a female Assassin character taking the main role.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4661563 said:
    I & II have bored me out with their repetitiveness so much that I didn't touch Brotherhood & Revelations to date, but I really like the new setting. If it delivers the breath of fresh air which the franchise desperately needs, I'm in.

    I'll agree that AC1 was repetitive, but if you think AC2 bored you, I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4661787 said:
    I'll agree that AC1 was repetitive, but if you think AC2 bored you, I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one.
    I agree with this. AC1 just fell into a rut in the second half or final quarter of the game, but it laid out a foundation for a tremendous series. When I first got my GameInformer that showed a new Assassin with dual hidden blades, I had a feeling ACII was going to be bigger and better than its predecessor, and I was right.

    I didn't feel like ACII fell into the same repetition that ACI did, but maybe Pankazzo can explain more of what he felt while playing the two. Do you mind helping us out here, Pankazzo?
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Bulzeeb;4661836 said:
    Do you mind helping us out here, Pankazzo?
    AC II's setting, story and its visuals are amazing, it's just the combat system that bored me out really fast. It's still worlds beyond more interesting than FPS games though.

    Playing I & II back to back probably didn't help either. Will definitely give it another shot this summer.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4661869 said:
    AC II's setting, story and its visuals are amazing, it's just the combat system that bored me out really fast. It's still worlds beyond more interesting than FPS games though.

    Playing I & II back to back probably didn't help either. Will definitely give it another shot this summer.
    Ah, the countering and perfectly timed mashing? Yeah, Brotherhood fine tuned that a bit so you could actually chain your kills together. Kill one guy, press attack in the direction of another enemy, instant kill, and again, and again, until five guys are dead within ten seconds. Much more fast paced.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    I wonder how the game will fare in the UK.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2012
    I'm super stoked for this. I'm glad they finally moved from Ezio to a more recent time.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4665655 said:
    I wonder how the game will fare in the UK.
    Just fine. I doubt the college-age demographic they're aiming for cares much about losing the Revolutionary War 250 years ago.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    My Persian friend had no problem stabbing Persian/Middle Eastern people in AC:R.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4665709 said:
    Just fine. I doubt the college-age demographic they're aiming for cares much about losing the Revolutionary War 250 years ago.

    Or, at this point, any living demographic.

    ^To be fair, though, there are rather important differences between Persians and Turks, and there really hasn't been a pan-Middle Eastern identity formed to date.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2012
    Having a bit of a nerd-gasm over the fact that the story is set during the American Revolution. It's one of my favorite periods in U.S. history (first above the Civil War).
Sign In or Register to comment.