edited March 2012
    Is that

Is that
    Is that
    Is that

Anyway, I was never big on this series.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I & II have bored me out with their repetitiveness so much that I didn't touch Brotherhood & Revelations to date, but I really like the new setting. If it delivers the breath of fresh air which the franchise desperately needs, I'm in.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4661540 said:
    Now here is a thread that might make me want to be a member of this forum again :p

I've been thinking about possible assassination targets for a game set in colonial America and have come up with....absolutely no one. Canon so far hasn't revealed anyone from this era as a Templar (all the real people said to be Templars are either from antiquity or times even more modern). They have established George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte as having held a Piece of Eden. It's a mortal lock that Washington will be a character in the game.

And I wonder how fast-and-loose they'll play with history. It's tougher to take liberties with historical fiction the more recent the history is. To whit, the seemingly blindingly obvious assassination target - Benedict Arnold. In real life, he didn't die until over a decade after the war ended. And he died of gout. Another possibility I thought of was a mission to save Nathan Hale, doomed to failure of course, and you take it out on his executioners.

The assassin on the boxart appears male (sigh), but I thought it would be outstanding if the ancestor was Agent 355. She's been fictionalized into a video game at least once before, but come on, what a juicy possibility.

I'm excited to learn more, and by all accounts it seems that further details are coming soon.
    I'm down for a female Assassin character taking the main role.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4661563 said:
    I & II have bored me out with their repetitiveness so much that I didn't touch Brotherhood & Revelations to date, but I really like the new setting. If it delivers the breath of fresh air which the franchise desperately needs, I'm in.

I'll agree that AC1 was repetitive, but if you think AC2 bored you, I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one.
    edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4661787 said:
    I'll agree that AC1 was repetitive, but if you think AC2 bored you, I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one.
    I agree with this. AC1 just fell into a rut in the second half or final quarter of the game, but it laid out a foundation for a tremendous series. When I first got my GameInformer that showed a new Assassin with dual hidden blades, I had a feeling ACII was going to be bigger and better than its predecessor, and I was right.

I didn't feel like ACII fell into the same repetition that ACI did, but maybe Pankazzo can explain more of what he felt while playing the two. Do you mind helping us out here, Pankazzo?
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Bulzeeb;4661836 said:
    Do you mind helping us out here, Pankazzo?
    AC II's setting, story and its visuals are amazing, it's just the combat system that bored me out really fast. It's still worlds beyond more interesting than FPS games though.

Playing I & II back to back probably didn't help either. Will definitely give it another shot this summer.
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4661869 said:
    AC II's setting, story and its visuals are amazing, it's just the combat system that bored me out really fast. It's still worlds beyond more interesting than FPS games though.

Playing I & II back to back probably didn't help either. Will definitely give it another shot this summer.
    Ah, the countering and perfectly timed mashing? Yeah, Brotherhood fine tuned that a bit so you could actually chain your kills together. Kill one guy, press attack in the direction of another enemy, instant kill, and again, and again, until five guys are dead within ten seconds. Much more fast paced.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    I wonder how the game will fare in the UK.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2012
    I'm super stoked for this. I'm glad they finally moved from Ezio to a more recent time.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4665655 said:
    I wonder how the game will fare in the UK.
    Just fine. I doubt the college-age demographic they're aiming for cares much about losing the Revolutionary War 250 years ago.
    edited March 2012
    My Persian friend had no problem stabbing Persian/Middle Eastern people in AC:R.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4665709 said:
    Just fine. I doubt the college-age demographic they're aiming for cares much about losing the Revolutionary War 250 years ago.

Or, at this point, any living demographic.

^To be fair, though, there are rather important differences between Persians and Turks, and there really hasn't been a pan-Middle Eastern identity formed to date.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2012
    Having a bit of a nerd-gasm over the fact that the story is set during the American Revolution. It's one of my favorite periods in U.S. history (first above the Civil War).
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4665709 said:

Quite a few Brits were rankled by the historical inaccuracies in movies like The Patriot (making the British seem like outright savages) and U-571 (making characters who were in fact British in real life into Americans in the movie). I don't imagine AC will skewer history quite that badly, but there's bound to be some dramatic liberties taken. Not to mention the simple fact that the British are the bad guys. Have there been any Civil War-era games where you play as the Confederacy? How did traditional ones do in Georgia and South Carolina?

I'm not saying it's a problem or even a cause for concern, just that I'm curious how the game will fare 'across the pond.'
    edited March 2012
    BohemianMatt;4665715 said:
    My Persian friend had no problem stabbing Persian/Middle Eastern people in AC:R.

That's not quite the same thing. That's way longer ago, so historical liberties have less impact (for instance, the first game takes place in 1191, but in real life Robert de Sable didn't actually die until 1193. Anyone care? Didn't think so). And more to your particular point, cultural groups that exist today didn't really exist in the 12th century or the 16th century. "British" did exist very similarly to how it does now in the 18th century.
  • edited March 2012
    In my experience, the Brits are all too eager to stab each other to death. I've been to Birmingham, I have seen the worst the island has to offer. ;)

Anyway, I'm getting an 'AC meets Red Dead Redemption' vibe from this game. That is not a bad thing.

It does, however, make me wish for a 'stab 10 bears to death with just your hidden blade' trophy or faction requirement. ;)
    edited March 2012
    I like how the tree climbing in the trailer seems to make up for the one notable criticism of this as an AC setting - no especially tall buildings in this place and time. There'll still be a few - I imagine some collectible goodies will be stashed on top of Faneuil Hall, the steeple of the Old North Church, Independence Hall...depending of course on which cities figure into the game. I do imagine Boston is pretty much a given.
    edited March 2012
    I read an article that said New York City and Boston would be the two cities in this game. Here's a link. As the article mentions, Giotto's campanile (the main tower in Florence) is about 278 feet tall, where as the Old North Church stood at about 191 feet in 1776. Further, the architecture of colonial America might not have called for many tall buildings, but the design of buildings should (as long as the developers account for this, and there's no reason to think they won't) allow for a different kind of climbing challenge. Some buildings in New York City from the period aren't very tall, but I can tell you they look like a damn fun climb.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    i'm hoping this game runs at 1080p on the wiiu. should be pretty awesome.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I want to be excited for this game although I still haven't played Revelations yet, but I can't help but get the feeling that Assassin's Creed is becoming another Call Of Duty.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    Call of Duty did not invent yearly iterations. You'd have a better time calling Assassin's Creed another PS1 Tomb Raider series.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4666570 said:
    Call of Duty did not invent yearly iterations. You'd have a better time calling Assassin's Creed another PS1 Tomb Raider series.

So what, my point still stands.
    At least the Assassin's Creed series is a good series though.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    M_Robbins5;4666566 said:
    I can't help but get the feeling that Assassin's Creed is becoming another Call Of Duty.

A first person shooter revolving around fictional wars?
    edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4666601 said:
    A first person shooter revolving around fictional wars?

No, I meant the whole yearly release thing.
    edited March 2012
    This game will end the yearly release cycle.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    I got the pre-order steelcase from gamestop, lol. It was just too cool to pass up.
    edited March 2012
    M_Robbins5;4666695 said:
    No, I meant the whole yearly release thing.

AC III's place in the cycle feels different compared to CoD:MW. The team that made AC II has been working on III for several years while another team took over and made Brotherhood and Revelations, and that kind of time and quality will show in the title that just happens to be coming out one year after the latest iteration.
    Cubecubed;4666738 said:
    I got the pre-order steelcase from gamestop, lol. It was just too cool to pass up.
    I'll likely grab that too.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4666423 said:
    Have there been any Civil War-era games where you play as the Confederacy? How did traditional ones do in Georgia and South Carolina?
    I used to play an old turn based game called Gettysburgh, where you could play as either side. You could "win" as the confederates.
    edited March 2012
    One of the "...Total War" RTS games had a Civil War era in it. Whether or not you could win the war for the confederates, I'm not sure.