Official Discussion Thread: DLC Week of 2/28 - Huey Lewis & the News 3 Pack!

Comments

• XusderXusder Unsigned
    edited February 2012
    osteofight;4654821 said:
    I don't know about these picks. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
    Hey, why are their copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something? Is that a raincoat?
    osteofight;4654821 said:
    In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2012
    osteofight;4654821 said:
    I don't know about these picks. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

is it just me, or did you already post this in the prediction thread?
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    I love reliving my 80's songs. Between the peak of thrash metal, great punk, freestyle music (Miami), new wave, and pop smash hits just might be my favorite era of music.
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    jibjqrkl;4654835 said:

I didn't, but in all likelihood someone else has.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited February 2012
    jibjqrkl;4654835 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI
  • Mr7r3vMr7r3v Unsigned
    edited February 2012
    Der_Lex;4654803 said:
    So if a pack has two or more songs you like, and one you don't like, you'll pass on it altogether instead of just picking up the stuff you like (or, if it's cheaper because it's a big pack, getting the pack and one-starring the bad song)?

Whatever floats your boat, but that seems a bit, I don't know, obsessive-compulsive to me.

Yeah I have some OCD tendencies. Like how the album art for Welcome Home isn't Good Apollo IV Part 1 cover. Drives me INSANE.
  • DekieonDekieon Rising Star
    edited February 2012
    Will be grabbing The Heart of Rock & Roll & I Want a New Drug. Not really interested the the other one. Good picks though. hope to see back in time in a future release pack.
  • DragonclawDragonclaw Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    Like the announcement says, he has 20 top ten hits so no matter WHAT songe we were getting there was going to be dissapointment, especially when it was announced as only a 3 pack. For me any and all Huey Lewis is a day 1 purchase and hopefully we get a BIGGER follow up pack so we can take a chunk out of those 16 top 10 hits we still don't have...The tracks mentioned in this thread already are a good start :)

Huey Lewis 2

Workin For A Livin'
    If This Is It
    Back In Time
    Heart And Soul
    Hip To Be Square
    Hope You Love Me Like You Say I Do
    Stuck With You
  • RingoHallidayRingoHalliday Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    Awsome!!! I'm only bummed out I can't take Tuesday off of work to stay home and play Rock Band right away!!! [so just kidding, I tried it once and silly wii store didn't update until well after I would have been out of work anyway]

I'm looking forward to singing Weird Al's "I Wanna New Duck" instead of "I Want a New Drug" though, jsut cause I'm silly like that.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited February 2012
    The blog doesn't have the preview, but it's on Youtube.
    edited February 2012
    Mr7r3v;4654840 said:
    Yeah I have some OCD tendencies. Like how the album art for Welcome Home isn't Good Apollo IV Part 1 cover. Drives me INSANE.
    What drives me more batty is the fact that one of the Fallen Angels songs in RBN doesn't have the F and A capitalized. That alone assure me to never look into their songs besides Grant Me Peace. Oh and the whole HIM thing assures that I'm not going to ever touch any of their songs with a 10 foot pole until it's fixed.
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited February 2012
    Doom878;4654837 said:
    I love reliving my 80's songs. Between the peak of thrash metal, great punk, freestyle music (Miami), new wave, and pop smash hits just might be my favorite era of music.

Agree with all the above.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    MagicMurderBag7 at 10:58;4654766 said:
    Yay! Heart of Rock and Roll!
    Mr7r3v at 10:59;4654767 said:
    Ugh Heart of Rock & Roll. Good job ruining the pack. Will not buy now.

The rockband.com forums. You will never find a more wretched hive of contradiction and meaningless conflict. We must be cautious.

Buying the pack. Nothing jumping out at me from RBN, though Anarchy Club will get a demo download at least.
  • Tenacious_BTenacious_B Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    Thanks but no thanks on this. Well at least I got otep and rishloo this week : )
  • Mr7r3vMr7r3v Unsigned
    edited February 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4654845 said:
    What drives me more batty is the fact that one of the Fallen Angels songs in RBN doesn't have the F and A capitalized. That alone assure me to never look into their songs besides Grant Me Peace. Oh and the whole HIM thing assures that I'm not going to ever touch any of their songs with a 10 foot pole until it's fixed.

Ehh the HIM sorting doesn't bother me as much. I've seen HIM written so many different ways over the years I just brush it off. Another annoying one for me is the Pearl Jam Ten album different covers. The DLC get the reissue cover while Alive from RB2 import get the original cover.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    Really not a Huey Lewis fan. Only track I like is Power of Love, which we obviously already have.

BUT, if you like Ska music (and are on Xbox 360), I'd totally recommend downloading "This Gigantic Robot Kills" by MC Lars. It's a nerdcore rap tribute to 3rd wave ska and the '90s with an awesome hook by MC Bat Commander (from The Aquabats! and Yo Gabba Gabba) and Suburban Legends as a backing band. Kinda weird that Suburban Legends and The Aquabats! are the only ska bands NOT name dropped in the song.

Anyway, definitely a fun track.
  • Shadowdriverv2Shadowdriverv2 Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4654845 said:

Its funny cause for me, Killing Loneliness is the one that doesn't get touched (I play the other 3 as a set every time, and the sorting kills it as a 4-set).
  • howieduenhowieduen Rising Star
    edited February 2012
    I haven't posted in a while, but I just wanted to say thanks for this 3-pack.

It's the first DLC release that I've been truly excited about in quite some time.

Hopefully we see some more releases from under-utilized on-disc bands.
    edited February 2012
    Mr7r3v;4654850 said:
    Ehh the HIM sorting doesn't bother me as much. I've seen HIM written so many different ways over the years I just brush it off. Another annoying one for me is the Pearl Jam Ten album different covers. The DLC get the reissue cover while Alive from RB2 import get the original cover.
    UGH TELL ME ABOUT IT >:I
    I saw it when looking at what DLC I should buy (when I chose Even Flow) and got beyond angry ;_;
  • TkDiamonDTkDiamonD Rising Star
    edited February 2012
    these are excellent picks, i wasn't planning on getting more than maybe one or two of the huey tracks, but i'll be picking up the whole thing! kudos hmx! :)
  • JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    Nice 3-pack this week ! will buy !

and if i hear you clearly HMX you are saying: "Yes we will have a pack #02 with Hit to be square and Heart of Soul in it !"

Excellent i knew it ! ;)
  • edited February 2012
    SeymourDuncan17;4654768 said:
    No Hip To Be Square? No Back In Time?

I knew looking too forward to this pack was a mistake.

But still buying hard.

FWIW, as noted in the announcement / press release, Huey Lewis & The News had 20 top 10 singles so they've got enough iconic songs that we wouldn't be able to cram all of them into one pack. I love Back In Time as much as the next guy, but it never charted, where as the three songs we announced today were all top 10 hits. The group's two best selling singles, Power of Love and I Want a New Drug, are now both represented in RB.

If this pack does well we can always go after more songs. If it was up to me we'd have Huey's whole discography in game.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    Lowlander2;4654825 said:
    Okay, how many people have actually, honest to god, seen American Psycho? Because people are really overusing this.

Now I couldn't sit through all of it, but I gave it an honest shot.

After seeing it at least 5 times, I can cover for a few other people who haven't. :P

Is that a rain coat?

On topic: Awesome week! Buying all.
    hmxhenry;4654876 said:
    If it was up to me we'd have Huey's whole discography in game.
    I like this idea. When do we vote to give you supreme executive power? I don't know any watery tarts, unfortunately.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    Der_Lex;4654803 said:
    So if a pack has two or more songs you like, and one you don't like, you'll pass on it altogether instead of just picking up the stuff you like (or, if it's cheaper because it's a big pack, getting the pack and one-starring the bad song)?

Whatever floats your boat, but that seems a bit, I don't know, obsessive-compulsive to me.
    Heh, I cherry-pick everything precisely because I'm fairly obsessive-compulsive about Rock Band. I can't stand the thought of having songs I don't like in my library, which is why the bulk exports used to drive me mad. However, the one-lighter filter was added and now I am at peace. ;)

Never really got into Huey Lewis, so I'll pass. But it's a good choice for DLC anyway.
  • PheranPheran Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    Kemiroch;4654798 said:
    I think the hidden gem this week is actually Jerry Naylor - Not Fade Away. It might be the closest we get to a Rolling Stones track for quite a while, if ever. Surprised to see it on the list and my eyes lit up!

I agree. It's a great song, and I've always loved the Trout Fishing in America cover of it, but I'll take whatever version I can get. Here's an obscure fact - Rush did a cover of this song that's only available as a rare single, but you can hear it on YouTube.

As for Huey Lewis, I'm buying the whole pack, great choices.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited February 2012
    Mr7r3v;4654840 said:

Hate to break your bubble, but yeah it is. It's the cover that my version has underneath the outer slipcover.
  • ZetsumeisunaZetsumeisuna Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    RingoHalliday;4654843 said:
    Awsome!!! I'm only bummed out I can't take Tuesday off of work to stay home and play Rock Band right away!!! [so just kidding, I tried it once and silly wii store didn't update until well after I would have been out of work anyway]

I'm looking forward to singing Weird Al's "I Wanna New Duck" instead of "I Want a New Drug" though, just cause I'm silly like that.

You sir, are great. I was planning on doing the same exact thing :D
  • Shadowdriverv2Shadowdriverv2 Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    hmxhenry;4654876 said:
    FWIW, as noted in the announcement / press release, Huey Lewis & The News had 20 top 10 singles so they've got enough iconic songs that we wouldn't be able to cram all of them into one pack.

Awwww why not...We're due for another 20 pack :P
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited February 2012
    Epic win, IMO! :)

Sure, I'd love to see more, but this is a nice start. Hopefully there are more in the near future.
    I'm curious to see the album artwork for these songs. Will they come from their original albums, or will they have the Greatest Hits artwork like "Power of Love" did.
    hmxhenry;4654876 said:
    If this pack does well we can always go after more songs. If it was up to me we'd have Huey's whole discography in game.
    You heard the man people. Make this a huge seller! :)
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited February 2012
    whofan;4654886 said:
    Hate to break your bubble, but yeah it is. It's the cover that my version has underneath the outer slipcover.

Yeeaaaahhh, it's the one underneath, but it's not really the cover.