Official Discussion Thread: DLC Week of 3/6 - Everclear, Good Charlotte, Mastodon

Comments

• trojannemotrojannemo Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    finally some Good Charlotte...sucks it's only ONE track!
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    Mr7r3v;4661668 said:
    I only wish that Curl of the Burl got a Pro upgrade, but that's just the way of the world.
    Damn, I'm good :p

Also, none of these songs were "Oh that song" moments. And I didn't hear any noticeable keys in them, dog037.

Even though I didn't like this week's offerings, the RBN Announcement Thread is today so I can look forward to that! :)
  • Fayth1564Fayth1564 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    I actually just caught that but you saw it before I did. Dam fatfingers.

What matters is that it's right, and that you knew what I meant.

Can't wait for Alestorm.
  • Rhystic_1Rhystic_1 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Bad set of songs for me. Pass.
  • edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4661691 said:

The Anthem is next! I wonder if this is a sign that I should read Anthem by Ayn Rand... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

This is probably the first time that Good Charlotte and Ayn Rand have ever been mentioned in the same breath together.
    edited March 2012
    That was my quote not Fayth1564's quote! :p
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I am just happy that this extends to 17 straight weeks of at least one song I have either bought, or plan to buy on the official DLC.
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Can anybody from Harmonix confirm which version of "Santa Monica" that we're getting? It was originally released on "Sparkle & Fade", but (and even this was new to me), they re-recorded a bunch of their songs for a Greatest Hits album in 2011 called "Return to Santa Monica".

I haven't read the reasoning behind the greatest hits album, but Art Alexakis sold the entire catalog of their songs a few years ago and basicallly went broke. It's a pretty sad story.

But I know a lot of times bands will re-record their own songs in order to get the rights back (like the Styx songs we got), so is that the case here?

Whatever version we get, they're similar enough, outside of a little autotuning on Art's vocals and some slight changes in the melody line. But hey, Everclear! I'll take anything from them.
  • johnnyboybladejohnnyboyblade Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    .....Nothing for me this week. I chose mastodon in the poll though to get numbers up because they have a lot of songs I'd love to play in rock band (Just not that one lol)
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4661725 said:
    The Anthem is next! I wonder if this is a sign that I should read Anthem by Ayn Rand...

Read Atlas Shrugged instead....
    hmxhenry;4661734 said:
    This is probably the first time that Good Charlotte and Ayn Rand have ever been mentioned together in the same breath together.

thought the same thing, So I have to ask, Cipher, are you the Ayn Rand guru among your friends too?

Good Week. Will buy everything without complaints.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4661685 said:
    Henry has mentioned several times now that it's going to be 3-4 songs a week for the near future. Not sure why people are still commenting on this.

This isn't necessarily common knowledge to be fair. Not everyone is 100% up-to-date on what's been said. I frequent this board, but was not aware of this.

Bummer though. Slowing down to 3 a week is understandable, but still disappointing/disconcerting. We all want the franchise to stay healthy enough to get our favs.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2012
    Flan26;4661738 said:
    Can anybody from Harmonix confirm which version of "Santa Monica" that we're getting? It was originally released on "Sparkle & Fade", but (and even this was new to me), they re-recorded a bunch of their songs for a Greatest Hits album in 2011 called "Return to Santa Monica".

I haven't read the reasoning behind the greatest hits album, but Art Alexakis sold the entire catalog of their songs a few years ago and basicallly went broke. It's a pretty sad story.

But I know a lot of times bands will re-record their own songs in order to get the rights back (like the Styx songs we got), so is that the case here?

Whatever version we get, they're similar enough, outside of a little autotuning on Art's vocals and some slight changes in the melody line. But hey, Everclear! I'll take anything from them.

Sounds like the original.
  • jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4661728 said:

Also, none of these songs were "Oh that song" moments.

There is simply no way you haven't heard The Anthem before
  • gham77gham77 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I will check the songs out buuuuutttt... i'm thinking this is a big fat pass again this week. c'est la vie.
  • SpidermaniacSpidermaniac Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    "Santa Monica" and "the Anthem" were pretty ubiquitous in the 00's. I think every comedy released around that time used "the Anthem" in a trailer or on the soundtrack. Nothing that I would have thought to request, but two definite adds for my library.
  • Pointblank41Pointblank41 Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Didn't get anything during the Megadeth/Huey weeks so this is a nice change. Will definitely get Everclear and Good Charlotte.
  • SnowdragonsSnowdragons Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    BRODYQUEST saves this week. I'm not getting anything next week except that.
  • boodeanboodean Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    None for me this week but thanks anyway hmx and keep rock and roll going.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Lowlander2;4661654 said:
    Alright week, but really...that's the worst song you could have picked for an upgrade. I know I sometimes get angsty about this but...come on.

It seems like you're never happy which song gets the upgrade. Which one did you want? Let me guess....the Mastodon track. 'Cause it's hard, right?
    LoopyChew;4661702 said:
    Definitely getting Everclear; my high school self demands it.

Mine, too. I'm on the fence about the Good Charlotte song, but as soon as I fire up RB3 next, I'll be buying "Santa Monica".
    hmxhenry;4661734 said:
    This is probably the first time that Good Charlotte and Ayn Rand have ever been mentioned together in the same breath together.

I LOL'd. Thanks.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Yay for Santa Monica! I've been wanting this song for ages.
  • bonesoo7bonesoo7 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Finally a week that ill be buying dlc. Definitely getting the mastodon mayb the everclear. Brann dailor is a nasty drummer. Keep it up rock band. Thanks again!
    edited March 2012
    peterock2007;4661742 said:

thought the same thing, So I have to ask, Cipher, are you the Ayn Rand guru among your friends too?

Good Week. Will buy everything without complaints.
    I read Atlas Shrugged about 12 times, and every time I read it I take something new out of it. It's a gift that keeps on giving! :3
    Also, pretty much. My friends know her by either "that crazy woman that only people who are going to mock her should read her books" or "that woman who wrote a book about architects."
    jjdude1;4661746 said:
    There is simply no way you haven't heard The Anthem before
    Well... I got news for you :p
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    NOT_Travis;4661753 said:
    It seems like you're never happy which song gets the upgrade. Which one did you want? Let me guess....the Mastodon track. 'Cause it's hard, right?

Man, you should have been here last week. I was over the gorram moon when I Want A New Drug got the upgrade.

As for Mastodon...well, I'd rather we not get it at all, but it would have been a better choice regardless. Or The Anthem, that has more than two patterns too.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Awesome week Harmonix! Love the classic singles, no matter what decade they're from!!! :)

Now you can feel me! Sing if you're with me!
  • edited March 2012
    peterock2007;4661742 said:

Or read an author that's, you know, actually good. Even if you're on her side of the political/ideological fence, Rand is still a pretty terrible writer.

Which would explain why Cipher has already read Atlas Shrugged. ;)
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4661759 said:
    Or read an author that's, you know, actually good. Even if you're on her side of the political/ideological fence, Rand is still a pretty terrible writer.

Which would explain why Cipher has already read Atlas Shrugged. ;)
    I wouldn't say she's a terrible writer, I'll just say that she gets carried away at times.
    The Fountainhead was a lot more tame than Atlas Shrugged. No billion page speeches that time around.

Also anyone who hasn't done so already, check theRBN Announcement thread! They announced a pretty big GH band O:
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Mastodons song sounds better than their old JUNK.
    So i guess i'm not as "Blah" about it.

Good Charolette, thank god it's the old stuff. That album was actually pretty good for pop punk.

Everclear, had no clue what the song was.. than i listened and was like "Oh".
    That's all i thought lol.
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Just Everclear for me...been waiting on them for some time now.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited March 2012
    getting the Mastodon song, even though i wish it would be a different song by them :p
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I won't be getting anything. Figured there'd be some modern metal coming but yet it's only a single and not something I want, bummer. Oh well, it's not like I'd have time to play these songs come Tuesday anyway.