New title from hmx confirmed: Rock Band Blitz

Comments

• bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661099 said:
    We've been over this before. The problem with over 3,000 songs is that NO ONE wants to scroll through 3,000 to pick and choose what to add back in.
    No one? I've seen quite a few people that are over the limit that want to chose what to add back in. And it wouldn't be too hard to design something that just reads a list of songs and lets you pick them. They pretty much have the first part worked out. ;)

I just like that your answer to my perfectly logical solution is that NO ONE would want it, when we have people here that say the exact opposite.

You don't always have to be so contrarian.

Edit:
    Also, like I said, this could be used optionally. And it could be used to keep you from scrolling 1300 songs each time. You could parse that to half, or whatever you want. That's why it's called the music manager.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4661100 said:
    Go back and read my edit. You still don't get how simple this is.

Go back at read my post. Saying "a" instead of "a new" doesn't make a difference at all (though at this point, it would have gotten rid of a lot of confusion) since, once again, they made it clear twice in that description that it's a new title. Like I said in my last post, if it's an old title that they're talking about why would they mention anything about their booth at the end of that sentence?
  • edited March 2012
    C'mon, guys, it's HMX.

We all know that the first reveal of any new title will not be during a planned event at a con, but rather in the background of a leaked video that HMXinsertnamehere made of himself while trying to find out how many cupcakes he can fit into his mouth right next to the testing area. ;)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4661107 said:
    No one? I've seen quite a few people that are over the limit that want to chose what to add back in.
    I never said no one wanted to choose what to load.
    And it wouldn't be too hard to design something the just reads a list of songs and lets you pick them.
    I never said it would be hard to design.

Picture this. You have 3,600 songs. Full library. EVERY TIME you start the game, you get booted to a list of ALL 3,600 songs, and if you want something added, you have to find something you're willing to delete, then find your way to what you want added. Since Rock Band loads packs as one item, you may find yourself hitting a 'You're trying to add 3 songs, but only have 2 available slots!' error when you really only want one of the pack songs to even play that time.

EVERY. TIME. Parties? That list. Solo play? That list. Quick Party Shuffle session? That list. Every time.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    Just keep LinkedIn bookmarked and we should have an announcement next week
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4661107 said:
    No one? I've seen quite a few people that are over the limit that want to chose what to add back in. And it wouldn't be too hard to design something that just reads a list of songs and lets you pick them. They pretty much have the first part worked out. ;)

I just like that your answer to my perfectly logical solution is that NO ONE would want it, when we have people here that say the exact opposite.

You don't always have to be so contrarian.

Edit:
    Also, like I said, this could be used optionally. And it could be used to keep you from scrolling 1300 songs each time. You could parse that to half, or whatever you want. That's why it's called the music manager.
    Whichever console RB4 comes out for(current/next gen) I'm sure Harmonix has a fix to our problem. There have been several threads about us minority 2952 limiters ranting about it so the devs should be aware.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661117 said:
    I never said no one wanted to choose what to load.

I never said it would be hard to design.

Picture this. You have 3,600 songs. Full library. EVERY TIME you start the game, you get booted to a list of ALL 3,600 songs, and if you want something added, you have to find something you're willing to delete, then find your way to what you want added. Since Rock Band loads packs as one item, you may find yourself hitting a 'You're trying to add 3 songs, but only have 2 available slots!' error when you really only want one of the pack songs to even play that time.

EVERY. TIME. Parties? That list. Solo play? That list. Quick Party Shuffle session? That list. Every time.
    No. That's NOT what I'm suggesting.

It's an optional thing under it's own menu. If you hit the limit it works just like in rb3. You don't go automatically to it.

It's a menu that lets you pick what you want to show up as your default every time the game loads. BUT you don't have to use it. The base system would be exactly like rb3.

But added in is a menu called music manager. This OPTIONALLY lets you customize what will show up when you go to play now.

If you don't like looking through 1300 songs each time and don't like deleting, this is perfect for you. ONE TIME you go through and set up your list to whatever you want, if you want. Then it stays like that until you want to change it.

Or you could never use it at all. Completely optional and it does NOT automatically put you in it if you're over the limit. That would work just like rb3.

Is this still confusing?
    edited March 2012
    Yes, because I again have to ask how the game can read the 700 songs you can't access specifically because it doesn't have enough memory to read them. If I let RB3 load up 2,952 songs, there's a reason it can't load more(it has no more memory to do so), so HOW would I click into a menu that magically COULD read the rest? It would HAVE to be done before the game loads anything.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661137 said:
    Yes, because I again have to ask how the game can read the 700 songs you can't access specifically because it doesn't have enough memory to read them. If I let RB3 load up 2,952 songs, there's a reason it can't load more(it has no more memory to do so), so HOW would I click into a menu that magically COULD read the rest? It would HAVE to be done before the game loads anything.
    Simple. Just don't load the songs until you go into a menu. If you go into music manager then it loads the whole list. If you go into a play mode, it loads the default.

Or even better, have it on the start menu. That way you can start game(loads default list) or you can go to the music manager(loads all your songs).

Simple.
    edited March 2012
    And now we've reached changing, which requires completely restarting the game in order to change a handful of songs. What part of this sounds efficient, or even worth developing for the ONES of people that have hit said cap?

There is NO 'good' way to handle selectively choosing from a larger and larger pool of content.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661141 said:
    And now we've reached changing, which requires completely restarting the game in order to change a handful of songs. What part of this sounds efficient, or even worth developing for the ONES of people that have hit said cap?
    You have to do even more work if you're over the song limit in rb3.

And that fix is simple also. Notice when you go into the music store, buy something, and exit that it reloads?

Well have it do that when you click on music manager. When you click on it it reloads the whole list. And since the list is mostly text based it would load very fast.

No restarting the game.

Simple.

And optional, like I said. The scenario you tried to put forth would only be for those that WANT to use it.
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4661145 said:
    And that fix is simple also. Notice when you go into the music store, buy something, and exit that it reloads?
    That is building up, not down. It is adding to the cache, not subtracting.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661148 said:
    That is building up, not down. It is adding to the cache, not subtracting.
    Right, but it's proof the "cache" can be made to reload/refresh.

You just code it so that when it refreshes when clicking music manager it reads from a separate list.

Why are you trying so hard to shoot down a good idea?
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4661150 said:
    Right, but it's proof the "cache" can be made to reload/refresh.

You just code it so that when it refreshes when clicking music manager it reads from a separate list.

Why are you trying so hard to shoot down a good idea?

I've always wondered that same thing, doesn't help people boosting his ego either. I like what youre saying, hope something of some kind at least helps the current situation.
    edited March 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4661184 said:
    I've always wondered that same thing, doesn't help people boosting his ego either. I like what youre saying, hope something of some kind at least helps the current situation.
    Anything better than having to delete and redownload would be some improvement.

But like I said, this would be something optional and not forced on anybody. Don't see why anyone would be against something optional that some people would like.

Gee where have I heard that last line before? :p
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited March 2012
    I hope it's a new rock band bruther. Dance Central was last year bruther. It's rock band's turn this year pal.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4661112 said:
    C'mon, guys, it's HMX.

We all know that the first reveal of any new title will not be during a planned event at a con, but rather in the background of a leaked video that HMXinsertnamehere made of himself while trying to find out how many cupcakes he can fit into his mouth right next to the testing area. ;)

That's me. I love cupcakes.

Here's the leak:

Dingo Amiga Mango Klezmer Possum Spoon Church Frumply
  • olddrummerolddrummer Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    I think it will be ROCK BAND THE REALITY.

It is about a guy who gets addicted to music games. He then spends thousands of dollars on fake instruments and downloaded songs only to have the company that makes these games give up and spend all their time on dance games. It is quite a depressing story.

I think it would be an interesting game even though the story sounds far fetched.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited March 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4661238 said:

Here's the leak:

Seinfeld: Rock Band confirmed!
  • edited March 2012
    RB Tremonti with a mix of creed n alter bridges best songs n all with pro charts. HMX are absolute fools for not having these bands in the game. Both very popular n would sell extremely well
    edited March 2012

Here's the leak:

If you're gonna leak something please don't make it so obvious as to what it is. Come on man!
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    prodrummer1;4660631 said:
    Only options:

RB: Dream Theater
    RB: Justin Bieber
    RB: Lady Gaga
    RB: Foo fighters
    RB: Led Zeppelin
    RB: Pink Floyd
    RB: Muse
    RB: Country pack 03
    RB: 4

AntiGrav 2? I can hope.
    Anyways, my bets are on The Who if it doesn't end up being another small project like VidRythym
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2012
    Here's the leak:

Amiga and Windows Phone release confirmed!
  • AfrobeanAfrobean Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4660662 said:
    Either RB arcade or RB kinect.
    Arcades are practically dead. Hundreds or thousands of songs pre-installed from DLC would be the only way to make it interesting at all. Still, I can't imagine they'd do that now. Didn't they try and fail at this with Guitar Hero?

I'm guessing this will be a new Rock Band game of some kind. Maybe not the 4 we all crave, but not a specific band or unrelated title either. Maybe they'll bring in electronica elements like DJ Hero in addition to all of the instruments? Maybe just a mixer/production "game"? Who knows... I don't think they would tease us with a new IP though. If it was something TOTALLY new, wouldn't they just say that? Telling us there's a new IP coming but not revealing anything about it would get us excited without getting our hopes up for RB4, but being coy on what it is and saying the RB community will be excited is only going to make us feel that Rock Band will be getting some love after a year off. And they already have produced iOS and Android ports of Rock Band, so it's probably not "just a cellphone game".
    SideshowN;4661008 said:
    Please no Rock Band 4 for current hardware consoles. I hate the 3000 song limit cap. We need more RAM!
    Smart programming can sidestep this issue. Harmonix probably never bothered to do anything about it since they didn't realize they would have "so many" hitting the cap before a new title was released. But yeah, any programmer worth a damn should be able to get around this. Think of modern sandbox games with enormous worlds. There isn't enough RAM available to load the entire map, but they get around this by loading elements of the map in the background only as they're needed to be called. Rock Band's setlist is a far simpler problem, I would say.

Keysounded rhythm gaming is pretty damn simple though, relatively speaking. They don't NEED better hardware for the core gameplay. All better hardware would uniquely allow, I think would be far superior background animations (and maybe 5 or more actors on stage at once).
    edited March 2012
    Pretty sure when he said rb arcade he meant through the live and psn marketplaces.

If not, I agree with your assessment.
  • CasanovaFrankeCasanovaFranke Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I could see them using PAX to show off a new iOS title rather than RB4. They've said they have other projects in the works and I could see Amplitude/Frequency working on an iPhone... or PSN/XBL/3DSWare...

That said, I figure RB4 is coming this year, so some sort of confirmation could come this spring.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited March 2012
    CasanovaFranke;4661351 said:
    I could see them using PAX to show off a new iOS title rather than RB4. They've said they have other projects in the works and I could see Amplitude/Frequency working on an iPhone... or PSN/XBL/3DSWare...

That said, I figure RB4 is coming this year, so some sort of confirmation could come this spring.
    i hope not bruther. I don't own an Iphone dude and how much fun can it be to play a game on a tiny phone dude?

ROCK BAND 4 bruther.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Hogan2000;4661354 said:
    i hope not bruther. I don't own an Iphone dude and how much fun can it be to play a game on a tiny phone dude?

ROCK BAND 4 bruther.

*hugs hogan*
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2012
    Afrobean;4661270 said:
    All better hardware would uniquely allow, I think would be far superior background animations (and maybe 5 or more actors on stage at once).
    Isn't Rocksmith really processor-heavy, which is why it's not available on Wii?

With the next generation, we'd be able to fully score an all-Pro band consisting of three-part harmony, guitar and bass with the Rocksmith adapters, and keys and drums with the respective MIDI Pro Adapters, and still have the power to put all five members on stage in the background.
    edited March 2012
    I'll just reiterate my point that https://twitter.com/#!/RockBand said this:

"Oh look, panels for PAX East have been announced! Pay close attention to the HMX panel in the 10:30 am Sat spot. ;) http://east.paxsite.com/schedule.php"

And https://twitter.com/#!/Harmonix did not.

That is all.