New title from hmx confirmed: Rock Band Blitz

bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
edited April 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Just got a text from rockbandaide that says the pax east panels have been announced and that it's confirmed hmx is announcing a new title. So what does everyone think it is? Rock Band 4? A new kind of Rock Band? Dance Central 3? Or a new ip?

http://www.rockbandaide.com/15443/pax-east-2012-harmonix-panels/

"Join Harmonix developers as they discuss and dissect ten years of beatmatch gameplay creation, tracking their long and glorious tradition of designing music rhythm games like Frequency and Amplitude right up to the first public reveal of a brand new title!"

Given the topic they're discussing, my bet is on rb4(or at least a rb style game).

Comments

• WonderWaageUKWonderWaageUK Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    This is glorious news... I'll buy anything they put out... If, of course, it's compatible with my hardware!
  • edited March 2012
    Didn't we already know this? I really hope its RB4 but a new IP could be cool too. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Pankrazzo;4660662 said:
    Either RB arcade or RB kinect.

As I remember it, one of the very few hints we were given was that the SECRET would be "very inclusive". So I'm not expecting anything that can only be played on Kinect.

I feel like we were also told that the RB community (not just the Dance Central players) as a whole would be excited about it. Maybe it was just worded creatively, and this SECRET won't be a RB specific title. But it won't be a Dance Central title either, the way I read it.
  • edited March 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4660660 said:
    Will anyone here be at PAX East, to report back what they see in the Harmonix booth?

I'll be there. :)
  • WonderWaageUKWonderWaageUK Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    hmxhenry;4660675 said:

This is good news. Might you perhaps be doing your job?
  • edited March 2012
    WonderWaageUK;4660677 said:
    This is good news. Might you perhaps be doing your job?

No promises.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    These are things I'm personally ruling off my list: band titles, dance central 3, and console specific titles.

Things I'm leaning towards: rb4, a new type of rb game, or a new ip.

Band titles have done very poorly compared to the work and licensing involved. They are too narrow in focus in an already shrinking market. I do not think hmx is lying when they say they aren't working on one.

Dance games are on the decline. Just Dance on the wii was huge, and then the orginal titles on the kinect did well, but they are losing steam quickly. I think it'd be way too soon for a dc3. And honestly I can see hmx rotating years on dc and rb if both do well enough. That way people will (hopefully) want a new title of that type by the time it comes out.

With this being seemingly a big announcement, I don't think it will be on just one console. I wouldn't be surprised if the wii gets left out though. Maybe it will be on the wiiU.

It's been almost 2 years since we had a rb title(by the time this will come out). I think a rb4 or some type of new rb would be a safe bet.

Or it could be a new ip. They said they are working on lots of different stuff. Though given the topic at the panel I'd have to say it'd be a rhythm type game.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    Hooray for iOS games
    edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4660685 said:
    Hooray for iOS games
    I'm hoping it's not just a cell phone game, but I wouldn't be shocked. That is the "new big thing" in gaming right now. Yuck.

I understand the dynamics of why they are popular, that they are cheaper to make, and they are easier to get into people's hands. But they will never be better than console/computer games(imo) until you can make them(cell phones) like mini-laptops. I know they're getting close, but it's not there yet.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4660690 said:
    I'm hoping it's not just a cell phone game, but I wouldn't be shocked. That is the "new big thing" in gaming right now. Yuck.

I understand the dynamics of why they are popular, that they are cheaper to make, and they are easier to get into people's hands. But they will never be better than console/computer games(imo) until you can make them(cell phones) like mini-laptops. I know they're getting close, but it's not there yet.
    I'm not sure I remember correctly but wasn't there a quote by someone in the know a few months back about HMX and the possibility of app-game?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    hmxhenry;4660675 said:

Well, good! But I was specifically hoping that there would be someone there that could peek at the booth while it was going up and report back with all sorts of wild speculation about it ["they've got legacy RB instruments everywhere, and something else that looks like it might be a new MIDI guitar controller?!", or maybe "phones! there are phones everywhere, each hooked up to a big screen TV"], not someone that would be fired for leaking SECRETS ...
    edited March 2012
    peterock2007;4660693 said:
    I'm not sure I remember correctly but wasn't there a quote by someone in the know a few months back about HMX and the possibility of app-game?
    Basically something about them being new to that platform(with vidrhythm) and that they are figuring things out. Or something like that.

I'm just hoping THIS announcement isn't about a cell phone game(though I'm well aware it's probably 50/50 between that and a new rb). I have no doubt they are working on both given what they've said.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    There probably is an iO game in development as well

But whatever is suppose to be announced at Pax is either gonna be RB4 or a new IP (download only)
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I believe it's not something rock band related. Even if we'll get news for RB, I'm thinking about something kinect-friendly.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Whatever it is, I hope HMX is going to release it between April & September. Competing with the next Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Fifa, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock 3 etc. wouldn't be a smart business move.
    edited March 2012
    TheDescent;4660708 said:
    I believe it's not something rock band related. Even if we'll get news for RB, I'm thinking about something kinect-friendly.
    That could be another type of new ip I could see them working on.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    My instincts tell me it is probably the next iteration of Rock Band.

Hardware is drying up and there's not going to be a new wave of instruments unless another Rock Band title is announced.

The alternative to that is for HMX to allow the plastic instruments to dry up and through attrition become unavailable to many (more than some) and still count on RB3 DLC dollars to flow.

Sure, they'll still make DLC money but with diminishing returns as instruments start to fail and even the most hard core of the fanbase can't support the DLC market if they have no means to enjoy it.

So in the interest of keeping the golden goose laying those sweet golden eggs, it behooves HMX to create a new reason for pumping out new instruments or at the very least a new interface that allows for readily available instruments to play and thus keep the DLC money train chugging along.

The solution to that is another RB title or something else that uses plastic and real instruments to play DLC on.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited March 2012
    I'd like to see a RB4! :cool:
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    With the Wii U releasing and almost two years since the last game, it's got to be a new Rock Band title.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I expect the SECRETS part to be Rock Band related. My guess is a big band announcement or an updated version of Rock Band with more game modes.

The new title that is to be announced I expect to be a completely new IP. Anyone who thinks that it will be Rock Band related should think otherwise so as to not have your expectations shattered. However, if it is Rock Band related, then we will all be joyous!
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2012
    Dreaming of RB4.

More realistically, it's probably a new (console) IP that does not use instruments or motion control.
    edited March 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4660720 said:
    Dreaming of RB4.

More realistically, it's probably a new (console) IP that does not use instruments or motion control.
    That's one of the few new ips I don't see happening soon.
  • VyseTheQuickVyseTheQuick Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I'll buy anything HMX releases. The only exception is an iOS game. I have a rooted Xperia Play and it'll be a cold day in hell before I give up my entire back catalog of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and PS games accessible on the go at my every whim.

Android or bust.

Also, RB4 please.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    There was also something a little while back that Harmonix was developing an XBLA/PSN download release
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's Dance Central 3.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2012
    It's going to be a first person shooter.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2012
    A new Samba De Amigo game.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    bonethug0108;4660618 said:
    "Join Harmonix developers as they discuss and dissect ten years of beatmatch gameplay creation, tracking their long and glorious tradition of designing music rhythm games like Frequency and Amplitude right up to the first public reveal of a brand new title!"

"so, after 10 years of developing rhythm games, we'd like to announce....

that we're no longer developing rhythm games, and we're retiring the Rock Band franchise. oh, and here, take a look at our new game. it's called Dance Central: Shakira."
  • xtodd007xtodd007 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    My guess is it will be RB4 to be released on November 20, 2012 the 5th anniversary of Rock Band 1's release!

In honor of the 5th anniversary there will be awesome surprises in the game like previous disc song unlocks (updated versions), etc. I think you'll see a much improved band tour with more choice in stage/character/art setups.

To improve online gameplay only songs in common will be shown. I'd also like to see different options for search. (maybe a quick survey to declare the type of online player you are..only disc songs...lots of dlc...will only play dlc...difficulty by instrument etc. to improve matchmaking for all-this survey could be changed at any time)

I think there will be an overall change in the way dlc drops as well. I think in addition to the "normal" weekly dlc they'll also start releasing new "game" experiences. Another tour or stage, maybe new characters. It will help keep the game fresh.

It'd be cool to get a new game with like 60 fresh songs. 20 previous legacy songs *upgraded bonus. I also would include download tokens for 10 free song downloads. Then like every few months they could drop some sort of big digital download on us with new game features and songs.

Who knows, but for me I'd like there to be 1 more game on this console. Pretty please Harmonix:D