New title from hmx confirmed: Rock Band Blitz

Comments

• AshtrayHeartAshtrayHeart Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    I want them to reveal the 3DS and Vita titles they're working on. Whatever they are, I just want new rhythm games for my handhelds.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Whatever the title is...if it's using the legacy RB library, I hope it supports more than 3000 songs.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    I would say a new game to replace Rock Band, but barely recognizable as Rock Band as we know it today.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    jack060577;4661566 said:
    PLEASE, Rock Band Beatles 2!! I know it is very unlikely, but.....

Please, HMX!!! Make it happen!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    White_PawZ;4661368 said:
    I can see a deeper social media integration.

If I get stories about my friends harvesting beets in Farmville on facebook, then why can't they get a "WhitePawz just got 100% on expert vocals for 2112 by Rush!" on their feeds?
    I love having Rock Band post my Top 5 Performances every week at 8:50am ET. Do any of my other Facebook friends use this feature? Nope. Have any people blocked my feed / dropped me as a friend because I spam them with this announcement every week? I sure hope not, but it's possible. I was very happy the day I learned I could block all messages from a specific app (like Farmville) without losing all of the other awesome updates from my friends (like the most recent one: "Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!").

We also already have the Rock Band Dashboard, and I'm pretty sure none of my friends use that either. In any case, I don't think a new Facebook app would qualify as "a new title". If the radical new direction turns out to be something that small in scope, I'll just keep playing RB3 and buying new DLC.
  • SpidermaniacSpidermaniac Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661491 said:
    Yup. The games got big BECAUSE you didn't need to know the instrument. Pro instruments were always going to be a niche.
    My initial instinct is to agree with this -- it absolutely describes how I started and how I continue to play.

But, I was looking up the leaderboard "Top 1%" scores to throw some numbers out. . .and it looks like in recent DLC there are more top 1% scores listed for pro guitar and pro drums than regular guitar and drums. In keys, the regular mode only barely edged out the pro mode. I'm not sure how reliable these numbers are or really what they mean (do pro guitar upgrades make those DLC tracks sell better than the non-upgrade tracks?)

And given that the last 3 "challengers" to Rock Band have tried to emphasize "real instruments" (PowerGig, Rocksmith, BandFuse), has the market really gone in that direction? Has the 5-button party-game style of play been overtaken by the much more difficult pro mode play among remaining players?
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    Spidermaniac;4661706 said:
    But, I was looking up the leaderboard "Top 1%" scores to throw some numbers out. . .and it looks like in recent DLC there are more top 1% scores listed for pro guitar and pro drums than regular guitar and drums.
    lolno

I mean, for Pro drums, maybe. I am legitimately surprised that there are a lot of them, but I still don't think they would quite eclipse the amount of legacy players.

As for guitar, u trippin
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    MaRkiSH;4661583 said:
    My personal forum speculation machine leads me to believe that it's either a new Rock Band game or something else.

I like this. I'm so hoping for a new RB game, however, I also believe that if it's " something else", Hmx is quite capable of coming up with something that will surely capture my imagination, and of coarse, my money. The future is lookiing bright :)
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    The more I've been thinking about it, the more I start leaning toward a possible new RB game but one that's going to be offered via XBLA and PSN as a digital release. I think this would raise the awareness of RB being still alive, it would probably incorporate all the instruments and DLC available (and in the future) and thus have the potential to increase DLC sales but will have a new direction than what we're used to in a RB game (what, I have no clue) to the end that it is something NEW. It also would potentially mean a much earlier release than the holiday season and wouldn't have to get buried in with the big-hitters that are usually coming out at that time (and would also explain a not at E3 announcement). It would, in ways, go a long way in explaining the 3 song a week DLC thing. It was hinted at that SECRETS had something to do with this. They're saving up some of what they have for bigger releases after the new game hits, possibly. This also wouldn't prevent a forth-coming RB 4 in any way. Maybe I'm dreaming.
  • SpidermaniacSpidermaniac Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Lowlander2;4661814 said:
    lolno

I mean, for Pro drums, maybe. I am legitimately surprised that there are a lot of them, but I still don't think they would quite eclipse the amount of legacy players.

As for guitar, u trippin

Yeah, I've always thought so, too. Any idea how the 1% numbers are calculated on the Leaderboards and why they'd be reporting more PRO results than standard play? It's screwing with my paradigms :)

As for the announcement itself, it might be an RB4 teaser at PAX. That's what my heart wants. My head says it will be a new IP, the "spiritual successor" to RB if you will.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 2012
    It's Rock Band: Meets Guitar Hero...
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2012
    If there's less than 1000 scores, the leaderboards show them all instead of the two or three in the top 1%.

For pro drums, it's the most accessible, and with the least reason to go
    back to basic mode.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4661238 said:
    That's me. I love cupcakes.

Here's the leak:

Dingo Amiga Mango Klezmer Possum Spoon Church Frumply
    I sure hope that that's not Vogon poetry.

On topic: as others have said, to remove the legacy/5-button gameplay that a million unique users are using every week (I can't remember the podcast that was on, but it was said by someone from HMX a few months ago) would be shooting themselves in the foot. My cousin's our 5-button guitarist and despite wanting a Musting for Xmas a few years ago, something he did receive, he isn't using it. The learning curve is far too steep for him to stay interested. So I sincerely doubt that the legacy is ever going away, simply because that would rob this game of the gaming aspect.

However, Alex Rigopolous was the one who mentioned "a reimagining of the Rock Band franchise." I have no idea what that could mean. The same core mechanics but more as an RPG as some have speculated about/wished for? That could be cool. Either way, I'm very interested.

As far as which game it will be, I'm thinking that it's very telling that it was @RockBand on twitter, NOT Harmonix's account that mentioned this. That tells me that it's almost definitely Rock Band related.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4661862 said:
    For pro drums, it's the most accessible, and with the least reason to go
    back to basic mode.
    Also, a surprising amount of people owned the Pro variation since RB2.
    to remove the legacy/5-button gameplay that a million unique users are using every week (I can't remember the podcast that was on, but it was said by someone from HMX a few months ago)
    They said over a million unique users played the game each month, and that it wasn't close to being the same million each time.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4661987 said:
    Also, a surprising amount of people owned the Pro variation since RB2.

They said over a million unique users played the game each month, and that it wasn't close to being the same million each time.

OK, month. Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

I think too many here are listening too much to gaming sites that keep trying to proclaim that music games are dead. Henry just said that the company's healthy in this week's discussion thread.
  • minorleagueguyminorleagueguy Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    ...I hope it's RB 4...and IF I have to buy a WiiU, I hope we can use the same memory card, and bring songs with us..or HMX just makes a Wii version..
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    you definitely won't be able to use the same memory card since the songs are locked to the specific wiis. you will at least have to re-download.

nintendo is gonna have to figure something out because people with VC games will be pissed.
    edited March 2012
    topdrawer;4662095 said:
    you definitely won't be able to use the same memory card since the songs are locked to the specific wiis.
    So far, so wrong.
    nintendo is gonna have to figure something out because people with VC games will be pissed.
    Yeah, if by 'figure something out', you mean 'do the exact same thing they already did with the DSi -> 3DS'. They're really gonna have to brainstorm that one.
  • GRRRUMBLEGRRRUMBLE Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Hogan2000;4661371 said:
    Whatever it is bruther it has to work with all the dlc we have bruther or everyone is going to lose a lot of money bruther and Harmonix will lose a lot of sells dude. They may take Rock Band in a new direction bruther but they have to make sure that the DLC works with it bruther or we get the dlc free bruther :)
    You dropped your stash
    At the very least we paid a price to use the song in gameplay. We should be discounted that fee if we have to rebuy the song across platforms. I have a ps3 and the future could be over for them.
    They may go 100% xbox and xbox may announce a new disc capacity.
    All so secret leads to speculation, rotten guesses.
    Hey , mr favourite poster. Your bruther , you write about your bruther too much. Your bruther this and a your bruther that. Ha Just makin some noise have a good day.
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4662099 said:
    So far, so wrong.

Yeah, if by 'figure something out', you mean 'do the exact same thing they already did with the DSi -> 3DS'. They're really gonna have to brainstorm that one.

it's not quite the same issue. the dsi dlc content isn't locked the same way as the wii dlc on sd cards. currently nintendo requires you to send in your wii if you wanna transfer purchases over. it doesn't sound as clean cut as the ds.
    edited March 2012
    GRRRUMBLE;4662181 said:
    At the very least we paid a price to use the song in gameplay. We should be discounted that fee if we have to rebuy the song across platforms.
    If we had to rebuy songs, that would purely be because of licensing, and why would you POSSIBLY think we'd get a discount for already owning it if Harmonix already smacked that sad theory down way back when RB3 versions came out?
    topdrawer;4662187 said:
    it's not quite the same issue. the dsi dlc content isn't locked the same way as the wii dlc on sd cards. currently nintendo requires you to send in your wii if you wanna transfer purchases over. it doesn't sound as clean cut as the ds.
    Yes, and we all know it'd be IMPOSSIBLE for Nintendo to allow for a one-time transfer from a Wii Channel download to a WiiU account. I mean, they only MADE both consoles, what kind of power could they have?
    edited March 2012
    no one said it'd be impossible, but they could simply decide not to do it since their view on the virtual console is that you paid the money to play the content on the wii and the wii only, when you buy the new console they may say you need to pay for it to play it on the new system.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I think I figured it out.

This is going to sound sarcastic, but it's not.

A PC/Mac based Rock Band MMORPG that ties into your performances on the console. Your character (or band) moves around in a virtual universe with other players. You buy instruments, accessories and clothes while you mingle with other players. You put up fliers, beat your feet to set up gigs etc.

You join a "Label" (guild) and schedule play dates for shows or concerts (depending on how big you are).

Then you play the show on your console at the scheduled time. Of course you can also quick play whenever you like, but these scheduled performances earn your "label" and your band more money to use to buy important things like clothes, equipment and perhaps recording time.

You get the idea, an integrated virtual world for you to play around in that reflects the history of your band that you play on the console.

It would be cross platform of course.

That's my new theory on what's going to happen and I'm sticking with it.

The End.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    If it's a Rock Band "sequel", it's goin to be very lean (all online, few songs, DLC based).

Why wouldn't they go that way? Their greatest asset is the unbeleivable amount of micro transactions they can generate with their huge selection of songs.

It will also be peripheral free from HMX's perspective. Way too dangerous for them to have a costly distribution with the way things are going for these games.

Call me insane, but I smell a download only karaoke style game.
    edited March 2012
    elfreako;4662219 said:
    Why wouldn't they go that way?
    Because the game was built for a party setting, which you can't have online, and only a fraction of owners download songs. That's two reasons right there.
    It will also be peripheral free from HMX's perspective. Way too dangerous for them to have a costly distribution with the way things are going for these games.
    It already is. What part of 'Harmonix sells instrument manufacturing rights to MadCatz for RB3' was confusing?
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4662223 said:
    Because the game was built for a party setting, which you can't have online, and only a fraction of owners download songs. That's two reasons right there.

It already is. What part of 'Harmonix sells instrument manufacturing rights to MadCatz for RB3' was confusing?
    online as in download only. I don't understand how anyone actually play this thing online at all personally, but that's another story.

And peripheral free as in no proprietary/dedicated crap at all. Outsourced or not, it's expensive.

What part of that was confusing?
    edited March 2012
    elfreako;4662243 said:
    online as in download only.
    Then you've got no market presence. A smart move for a genre trying to expand again.
    And peripheral free as in no proprietary/dedicated crap at all. Outsourced or not, it's expensive.
    Not for Harmonix. What do they care?
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4662247 said:
    Then you've got no market presence. A smart move for a genre trying to expand again.

Not for Harmonix. What do they care?
    You honestly beleive they are trying to expand Rock Band again?

I think they need to capitalize as much as they can on what they've got. Then move on.

And we may very well be much closer to the moving on part than we think.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    elfreako;4662257 said:
    I think they need to capitalize as much as they can on what they've got. Then move on.

To do that, wouldn't the best scenerio be to fire all your programmers and just make dlc until it stops being profitable?
    edited March 2012
    peterock2007;4662314 said:
    To do that, wouldn't the best scenerio be to fire all your programmers and just make dlc until it stops being profitable?

Not fire them, keep a few resources on Rock Band to put out a lowered amount of DLC while it keeps selling, while affecting most of you crew to a brand new project. That's pretty much what we've seen since it became obvious Rock Band 3 was not the messiah of the plastic instruments game. They've already warned us that the next big thing will be drastically different. I'm sure they didn't mean different as in "RB3 with a Tour Mode".

That's why I say if they announce something directly linking into Rock Band, it will probably be lean (small game with access to the huge library). If they announce something huge, it will more than likely have little to do with Rock Band at all.