New Rock Band Dashboard Feature: Skill Level

HMXchristineHMXchristine Harmonix Developer
edited March 2013 in Announcements
Hey rockers!

We've added a new stat to the Rock Band Dashboard Facebook App - Skill Level. Your skill level is a number up to 100 that indicates your overall Rock Band skill. It is based on the number of stars you get on songs, and how difficult the songs were.

In more detail - songs you play on higher difficulties and higher difficulty tiers get you a higher score. Your scores across all songs and instruments are averaged to come up with your overall Skill Level.

So a devil-tiered song you play on Expert gets you more points than a two-ball tier song on Expert. Songs played on lower difficulties (Easy, Medium, and Hard) will also get you fewer points. All of this is averaged out to give you your overall Skill Level for Rock Band 3, or for each instrument. You can also see your Skill Level for each instrument.

Go check out the app for more stats and to check out your skill levels. Let us know what you think about the update below!

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    jibjqrkl;4665628 said:
    81.6% on vocals
    82.6% on harmonies

most of you are getting your asses kicked on vocals by a mute girl XD

oh and random question, if you haven't played a song on an instrument yet, does it count as 0?
    According to the app, I've played 110 songs on Pro Guitar and 63 songs on Pro Bass and I have a 0 for both :I
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    the_o;4665632 said:
    So if I allow this app access to facebook will it post on my wall everytime I play a song or do anything? Will it post to my wall at all?
    No. You do know when you use the app, it specifies what it will do, just like every other app, right?
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Regular Drums: 38.4% (That would be when my friends were playing on my profile and sucking) only 21 songs played
    Bass: 56.3% (Haven't done much bass, and that number probably includes my friends playing, which means pretty bad scores) 17 songs played
    Guitar 49.3% ( I suck on guitar, but this also again includes friends scores, not too great) 33 songs
    Vocals: 62.5% ( Where I expected it to be, I only really play expert, which means alot of 3 stars and 80% performances) 70 songs
    Harmonies: 74.7% (Much better than vocals, but this is probably inflated by easy songs like Whip It and Centerfold) 64 songs
    Pro Drums: 84.8 ( I thought I would get a better score, than I remembered all those 3 stars I got from metal songs I stupidly bought in the first place)

Regardless, im in the top .03% with 938 songs played and 212 gold stars, so i feel proud of myself :)
    Thanks for the update HMX!
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    The gold star count on the App isn't right for me. Vocal gold stars are way short.
  • stigdustigdu Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    jibjqrkl;4665628 said:
    81.6% on vocals
    82.6% on harmonies

most of you are getting your asses kicked on vocals by a mute girl XD

oh and random question, if you haven't played a song on an instrument yet, does it count as 0?

My friend 'Plexshaw' is on 100% skill level for vocals.

Something like 400 songs sung, with all 400 of them gold-starred. That's some pretty impressive **** right there.
    edited March 2012
    stigdu;4665727 said:
    My friend 'Plexshaw' is on 100% skill level for vocals.

Something like 400 songs sung, with all 400 of them gold-starred. That's some pretty impressive **** right there.
    Yeah, but I bet he has a voice.
  • realjurtisthanrealjurtisthan Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    My two highest ones are guitar 96.0 and pro drums 95.4
  • PyramidHead128PyramidHead128 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    My skill level.

The Pro Drums scores aren't mine though, my brother plays on my account.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4665641 said:
    According to the app, I've played 110 songs on Pro Guitar and 63 songs on Pro Bass and I have a 0 for both :I

Looking at the picture you posted, that's obviously some kind of glitch since you're rated top 5% on both of those instruments in the second column. So, note to any interested HMX dev-type peoples - Cipher's image should probably be treated like a bug report....
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Still trying to figure this out. It says I'm rated highest at Guitar, but that's actually one of my lowest ratings under "skill". And my overall ratings are WAY lower than what all of you are reporting, you people must be wizards or something, or maybe I need to just admit that I'm not cut out to be in a real Rock Band after all. I mean really, I've spend more time playing Rock Band than all other games put together over the past 1.5 years (not counting Angry Birds), and I'm still ranked at at stunningly low (yet fully plausible) level.
  • the_othe_o Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4665647 said:
    No. You do know when you use the app, it specifies what it will do, just like every other app, right?

I am not familliar with facebook apps, but when I go to add it it says the following so Ithought I'd ask.

RockBand.com is requesting permission to do the following:

Access my basic information
    Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've made public
    Post to Facebook as me
    RockBand.com may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos on my behalf.
    Access my data any time
    RockBand.com may access my data when I'm not using the application.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4665911 said:
    It says I'm rated highest at Guitar, but that's actually one of my lowest ratings under "skill".

For those of you asking why the "Best" score shown at the top is not your highest score, here is an explanation.

To pick "Best" we choose the instrument that you have the most scores on. If you have multiple instruments with almost the same number of song plays, we pick the highest skill.

Looking at the app now, I realize that "Best" was a poor word choice. Maybe "Favorite", or something? Also, I think we might be able to do better at picking which instrument is best.

Unfortunately, this fix will have to wait for the next patch, which due to console manufacturers requirements will be several months to a year away (joke).

Finally, there do seem to be a couple cases where we are genuinely showing you the wrong skill. As mentioned upthread, please let us know.

Thanks!
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4666123 said:
    For those of you asking why the "Best" score shown at the top is not your highest score, here is an explanation.

To pick "Best" we choose the instrument that you have the most scores on. If you have multiple instruments with almost the same number of song plays, we pick the highest skill.

Looking at the app now, I realize that "Best" was a poor word choice. Maybe "Favorite", or something? Also, I think we might be able to do better at picking which instrument is best.

Unfortunately, this fix will have to wait for the next patch, which due to console manufacturers requirements will be several months to a year away (joke).

Finally, there do seem to be a couple cases where we are genuinely showing you the wrong skill. As mentioned upthread, please let us know.

Thanks!
    If you continue to use that method (most played), may I suggest "Usual"?

"Favorite" would suggest something that the user can directly select.
    edited March 2012
    Guitar: 219 Songs, Top 8.3%
    Vocals: 212 Songs, Top 1.7%
    Vocals Skill = Guitar Skill + 18
    Scores highest on: Vocals

OK, it's a work in progress, and you're still tweaking the formulas, I can accept that. Kind of like the "Signature Performance" (which works well enough in the current iteration).
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2012
    I have 1,173 gold star songs on guitar.
    edited March 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4666143 said:
    Guitar: 219 Songs, Top 8.3%
    Vocals: 212 Songs, Top 1.7%
    Vocals Skill = Guitar Skill + 18
    Scores highest on: Vocals

OK, it's a work in progress, and you're still tweaking the formulas, I can accept that. Kind of like the "Signature Performance" (which works well enough in the current iteration).

I think this is working as intended. In this case we should pick vocals. The design was to look at the song play counts within one standard deviation of the top and pick the highest skill among that set.
    edited March 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4666166 said:
    I think this is working as intended. In this case we should pick vocals. The design was to look at the song play counts within one standard deviation of the top and pick the highest skill among that set.
    I agree, it should pick vocals ... but it picks Guitar!

("Scores highest on: Vocals" comes from my gameplay page here)
    edited March 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4666169 said:
    I agree, it should pick vocals ... but it picks Guitar!

("Scores highest on: Vocals" comes from my gameplay page here)

AHA. Duly Noted.
  • SableagleSableagle Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4665580 said:
    Probably not, in much the same way that ... those of us that don't use Twitter can't win RT contests.
    Oh.

You noticed that too.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4666139 said:
    If you continue to use that method (most played), may I suggest "Usual"?

"Favorite" would suggest something that the user can directly select.

Even though it's nitpicky, I agree. Recent Guitar Hero games had "Favorite Instrument" and it bugs me cuz I play guitar more than vocals and I love vocals more.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    edited March 2012
    Sableagle;4666184 said:
    Oh.

You noticed that too.
    I didn't notice it. I have and use Twitter, and have won several codes/goodies from it.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited March 2012
    91.2 is my best. And its guitar. I don't remember playing 350+ songs on guitar.
    edited March 2012
    dragoninforcer;4666280 said:
    91.2 is my best. And its guitar. I don't remember playing 350+ songs on guitar.
    I've got 666 guitar scores, have 662 songs, and 3 of those don't even have guitar parts.
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Hmmmm... 78 on my fave instrument (Bass)... which is good, since I don't believe I've ever gold starred anything harder than two dots on Bass.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    75.7 drums
    97.9 bass
    95.8 guitar
    98.0 vocals
    91.5 harmonies
    90.9 keys
    59.7 pro keys

Drums were higher than I expected, I suck at drums.
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I figured Guitar would be highest, but I was really surprised that Keys was my 3rd highest. Also surprised that Harmonies is so low.

67.7 Drums
    81.4 Bass
    87.6 Guitar
    39.9 Vocals
    29.0 Harmonies
    78.7 Keys
    77.4 Pro Drums
    24.4 Pro Guitar
    52.6 Pro Bass
  • HitoshuraHitoshura Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    This is a really cool addition to the dashboard! However, a couple of strange issues that I've noticed (I haven't spent too much time with it, so there may be more):

It says that many of my scores on Pro Guitar are zero stars, even though they're actually five-star scores. Maybe this is skewing the "skill score" somehow? Also, it says I have 96.2% of the goals completed (it should be 100%), and that I have 2.0 billion fans (I wish this were true, but maybe it's rounding up?).
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2012
    THis is a pretty cool feature.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2012
    My guitar score is 89.4

Damned lesson to be learned here from being a Thrash Metal fan thats for sure. Still its a respectable score and could be the spur that i need to actually try and better some of the scores on songs i rarely play because they are too damned hard to enjoy the music im playing.

Oh and GNF having played exactly 666 on his first post on the thread makes SO much sense :cool: