Minecraft Discussion Thread

TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
edited February 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
With all the vidya game threads on here, there's no Minecraft one? Alright, I'll take that upon myself. Discuss aspects of the game, ask questions, share servers or mods, etc. I'll kick it off:

I started up a server for me and my friends with Hamachi a little while ago, using the server setup file off the Minecraft official website. It works perfectly well, but I always have to run some Javascript thing to run the server, which is a problem when I'm not playing but my friends want to. Is there any way to make it auto-run in the background or something like that? Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4677991 said:
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINECRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT :p
    I like screwing around in MC, just doing random things for fun. I don't do serious projects.

I seriously don't understand how people have time to build these enormous things like on r/minecraft. seriously, it must take days and days.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited March 2012
    TheRollingBones;4678007 said:
    I seriously don't understand how people have time to build these enormous things like on r/minecraft. seriously, it must take days and days.

They're probably Japanese, that's the only thing I can think of. I've watched people play it, but never got into it myself. I can still marvel at what people pull off though.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    'Bout time someone made this thread.
    TheRollingBones;4678007 said:

Speaking of enormous builds, I'm building an entire Zelda-style adventure map. Right now I want to get the main villain's massive obsidian castle done before I build anything further. And then I have to cover a rather large field with snow so I can build something that resembles this for the "snow world". Fun fun fun.

Also, I completely ruined the final boss of the map by accidentally destroying an End Portal I found. :(

And what does everyone think of 1.2?
    edited March 2012
    Witticus;4678024 said:
    They're probably Japanese, that's the only thing I can think of. I've watched people play it, but never got into it myself. I can still marvel at what people pull off though.

If you've never really played it, it's really worth it. Took me a while to get into it, but I'm really diggin' it thus far.
    GreatJedi7;4678056 said:
    'Bout time someone made this thread.

Speaking of enormous builds, I'm building an entire Zelda-style adventure map. Right now I want to get the main villain's massive obsidian castle done before I build anything further. And then I have to cover a rather large field with snow so I can build something that resembles this for the "snow world". Fun fun fun.

Also, I completely ruined the final boss of the map by accidentally destroying an End Portal I found. :(

And what does everyone think of 1.2?

Awesome, man. I've been wanting to play an AdventureCraft-type game for a long time now, heard good things from my friends abou it all.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    For some silly ass reason, Minecraft is incredibly choppy on my laptop which is way more powerful than my desktop which can run it fine.

So I'm waiting for the XBLA version which apparently only has days left.
    edited March 2012
    TheRollingBones;4678584 said:
    Awesome, man. I've been wanting to play an AdventureCraft-type game for a long time now, heard good things from my friends abou it all.

Yeah adventure maps are fun. I just played one recently called Goddess of Decay that was pretty good. It was really hard to beat though.

But yeah, my map's got 9 dungeons, 9 villages, "boss rooms" (complete with redstone-created "spawners"), sidequests, and, yeah. It's pretty cool so far. It's far from done since all my Minecraft saves were accidentally wiped from my HD, including the original build of the map, but it's coming along well. I actually like this version better than the last. Cool part is that there's a prequel and 3 sequels planned, so that'll be cool.
    edited March 2012
    That's awesome, man. When you finish, hook me up with the server, I'd love to play it.
    edited March 2012
    TheRollingBones;4678755 said:
    That's awesome, man. When you finish, hook me up with the server, I'd love to play it.

Nah, it's just a downloaded map type thing. :) I have no money to run a server.

Come to think of it though, a MMORPG style Minecraft server with dungeons and quests and stuff would be really, really cool.
    edited March 2012
    TheRollingBones;4678584 said:
    If you've never really played it, it's really worth it. Took me a while to get into it, but I'm really diggin' it thus far.

I know that I'll get sucked into it that's the problem. I have this dream of making Dick Fortress of Doom. I'll have my floating phallic palace with lava below to ward off the monsters. Then make it so lava flows out the top... Not short on creativity, just time.

However since I've got young kids to worry about now, I'll have to live that dream another time when I'm not busy as heck.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited March 2012
    Lowlander2;4678600 said:
    So I'm waiting for the XBLA version which apparently only has days left.

The Minecraft Wiki says that the official release date will be announced Thursday
    edited March 2012
    GreatJedi7;4678780 said:

Come to think of it though, a MMORPG style Minecraft server with dungeons and quests and stuff would be really, really cool.

They're already kinda slowly making MC into an RPG with experience, enchanting, etc. Maybe eventually a real MMO will happen!
    Witticus;4678786 said:
    Dick Fortress of Doom.

http://www.urbanhonking.com/before/moneyblog/images/blurb_boner_2_20081106.gif
  • edited March 2012
    Witticus;4678786 said:
    I know that I'll get sucked into it that's the problem. I have this dream of making Dick Fortress of Doom. I'll have my floating phallic palace with lava below to ward off the monsters. Then make it so lava flows out the top... Not short on creativity, just time.

However since I've got young kids to worry about now, I'll have to live that dream another time when I'm not busy as heck.

And you're definitely sure you're not gay? :p
    edited March 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4679103 said:
    And you're definitely sure you're not gay? :p

I'll make Vag pit of death too, I'm all about equal opportunity.
  • edited March 2012
    Witticus;4679905 said:
    I'll make Vag pit of death too, I'm all about equal opportunity.

Referring to a vagina as a "pit of death" isn't helping your cause :p
    edited March 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4680005 said:
    Referring to a vagina as a "pit of death" isn't helping your cause :p

You might be on to something.
    edited March 2012
    Oh, Minecraft Workbench server, when will you update to 1.2 so I can visit you again? I really need to finish my house, and the fact that you still haven't updated to 1.2 even 20 days after it's release bothers me.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited March 2012
    Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition to be released on May 9, 2012 for only 1600 microsoft points.

Thank you ArcadeNext promotion for releasing this game in 1.5 months, and the last on the schedule for this bogus promotion.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    kinda noticed there are quite a few players of this game on here (both on xbox and PC) so might as well make a thread for it :D

post your cool screenshots/vids in here, Share great map seeds. Invite people to your games or share other cool stuffs! Tell people about crazy ideas you're still going to and stuff! i'll try to put some of the better seeds in this first post for easy access!

also list your GT or whatever to find other players if you're looking for some!

List of good seeds (xbox):

459722261485094655 - You start near 2 monster spawners who are hidden just below the water, great for farming monster materials if you don't destroy them (see vid for details) Also not in the vid, but there is another Spider spawner about 2 minutes west from that location sticking just outside a mountain!

for upcoming updates on xbox, see:
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Xbox_360_Edition_upcoming_features
    edited July 2012
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Anyone have a server yet?
    edited July 2012
    Yay Jibs!!

Anyway, my current project as of right now (on both platforms) is to build an island from scratch, filled with traps and defense mechanisms and such. It'll also have a central control room where all of the lights, traps, mechanisms and doors can be controlled from one place.
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4811043 said:
    Anyone have a server yet?

on xbox, not that i know of. I might just make a new profile once i have a new xbox, cloud save it with 1 world and then anyone can join it or if it's not online someone else can download it and host
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    I play on both.

I really want to start a similar project to this.

I DO have a server for anyone on my xbox version, so there is THAT.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    >Xbox players
    edited July 2012
    oh btw, gowi.

when you joined my game. after you left, i kinda filled your entire house with dirt :3
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    If I can get an account from one of my friends, I can play the PC version.

Other than that, xbox for me.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    jibjqrkl;4811055 said:
    oh btw, gowi.

when you joined my game. after you left, i kinda filled your entire house with dirt :3

I know, I read the post.
    edited July 2012
    once someone buys me a better PC i can play the PC version :3
    edited July 2012
    dragoninforcer;4811058 said:
    If I can get an account from one of my friends, I can play the PC version.

Other than that, xbox for me.

Yay for conforming!
    jibjqrkl;4811060 said:
    once someone buys me a better PC i can play the PC version :3

Good. It's better. And by better, I mean "not outdated".
    edited July 2012
    GreatJedi7;4811061 said:

Good. It's better. And by better, I mean "not outdated".

xbox version is being updated, within a week (probably) we will get pistons and other cool stuff