Let's ask Sony to allow more songs per week on PS3

DrilnothDrilnoth Opening Act
edited April 2012 in The Rock Band Network
For an explanation of my position and reasoning, please just see what I wrote to Sony:

I am a fan of the Rock Band video game and am wondering why the Rock Band Network DLC releases are limited to only five per week for the PS3. It makes purchasing the game for the Xbox 360 seem much more attractive for new buyers, and even for existing players it seems attractive to switch.

Recently, Harmonix has only been releasing 3-4 songs per week as non-RBN DLC, compared to when the RBN launched when they released 6+ songs per week, with many weeks reaching 10 or more. The amount of RBN songs Sony allows seems to be unchanged, however. If there needs to be a limit, could it be something like fifteen total (between official and RBN releases), rather than artificially limiting the amount of content available players?

As I said before, the limited RBN releases make playing Rock Band on the Xbox a much better option for players who have both consoles or for whom money isn't an issue. There are certainly many RBN songs which I would buy, but they aren't available because only five songs are released per week.

Thank you.

TL;DR: We aren't getting more official songs than before, but we're still limited to the same # of RBN songs. The limit should be increased to compensate for the decrease in official DLC, otherwise new and existing players will prefer the Xbox to the PS3.

So, let's try to create enough noise that at least the customer service people take note of the trend and possibly mention something to their superiors! It is easy to submit a question, without even needing to login, at http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/. Messages probably shouldn't be copy-pasted; write your own letter, even if it is just a few sentences.

Xbox/Wii players: We want your support too! Expanding RBN on the PS3 will help to improve the Rock Band community as a whole. Please take a couple of minutes to try help!

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    Why would Sony care about words? If you buy more RBN content, Sony will be able to better justify spending more time sending more songs through testing.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    There was an official request thing going on on a Sony site a year or two back that did nothing. I doubt there's much you can do to convince them if that didn't work, and harassing them will especially not do it.
  • DrilnothDrilnoth Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4678107 said:
    Why would Sony care about words? If you buy more RBN content, Sony will be able to better justify spending more time sending more songs through testing.
    At this point I buy more RBN than official DLC...
    edited March 2012
    Drilnoth;4678110 said:
    At this point I buy more RBN than official DLC...
    Good for you. What's your point? You are a single person. I do not care about your anecdotal evidence, nor does Sony.
    edited March 2012
    AskariNari;4678109 said:
    harassing them will especially not do it.

I understand your point, but I really don't think that sending civilly-worded messages to customer support is "harassment".
  • edited March 2012
    From what I remember HMX saying, its not entirely Sony's fault. HMX has to convert each track to Sony's standards and submit them to Sony for testing. With all those things together it seems that 5 songs a week is a good amount.

If it bothers you so much then your only option seems to be moving to an Xbox.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I support this idea of getting more songs 100%
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    First off, customer service is not the division to bother, and I would strongly advise against that.
    Might I suggest something more fitting that was posted on their site around this time two years ago. http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/04/22/remove-rock-band-network-weekly-song-cap/
    Also, as stated, there is still some QA work on both sides, so it won't magically make all the songs appear, just maybe more than we currently have

EDIT:
    Drilnoth;4678122 said:
    I understand your point, but I really don't think that sending civilly-worded messages to customer support is "harassment".
    But encouraging others to blindly spam a department that doesn't have control over the matter is. Customer support is not generally the appropriate venue for such matters.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2012
    What if Harmonix start stepping up their DLC again, making it impossible for Sony to handle RBN songs on top of HMX-authored songs and other games?

If the limit gets increased to 10 songs, people are going to complain that that's not enough.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2012
    A good first step to take would be to determine if Sony is the one limiting RBN to 5 a week.
    edited March 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4678255 said:
    What if Harmonix start stepping up their DLC again, making it impossible for Sony to handle RBN songs on top of HMX-authored songs and other games?

If the limit gets increased to 10 songs, people are going to complain that that's not enough.
    Perhaps they set up a system where they have 10-15 song slots a week, and on the dry HMX weeks we have more RBN songs, and on heavy weeks we have less. Even if it meant some weeks with less than 5, it'd be more in the long run.
    bigmf;4678258 said:
    A good first step to take would be to determine if Sony is the one limiting RBN to 5 a week.

Yes and no. They set up the cap, but HMX likely wouldn't spend time QAing everything if there wasn't one
  • edited March 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4678149 said:
    From what I remember HMX saying, its not entirely Sony's fault. HMX has to convert each track to Sony's standards and submit them to Sony for testing. With all those things together it seems that 5 songs a week is a good amount.

If it bothers you so much then your only option seems to be moving to an Xbox.
    bigmf;4678258 said:

So the real issue here is that Sony doesn't have a UGC tool like Microsoft's XNA suite available to players. On the 360, users upload the content, users test the content and users approve the content to push it live, making RBN a fully realized user generated endeavor. PS3 doesn't have anything like this, so there's no way to open up an unlimited RBN flow as it currently exists on the 360.

As a result, any RBN songs released on PS3 need to be re routed through Harmonix to be released. Users are submitting the content, users are testing the content and users are approving the content, but Harmonix then has to reformat it to fit the PS3's specifications and submit it to Sony to publish. This last step requires a lot more hands on work from our team and a lot more QA bandwidth from Sony, which requires a good deal of paper work and weeks of submission lead time. We don't have an infinite amount of bandwidth to submit content and Sony doesn't have an infinite amount of bandwidth to test content, which is how the 5 song cap was reached.

It's unlikely that we'd be able to increase our PS3 RBN output anytime soon, and unless Sony was able to implement a similar UGC set up as the 360 (which I would personally love to see) then it's doubtful that they would be able to increase their output as well. Encouraging Sony to adopt a more robust UGC set up for indie devs would certainly be a step in the direction you're looking to go, and is maybe more beneficial than requesting an allowance specifically for content in one game.
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Opinion from a music gamer;
    To be honest, what doesn't help is the division of the community. For the longest time the guitar hero community (le gasp) was the better community because it didn't care and everyone equally got DLC on time. Therefore no fighting, now it's a wasteland of people. But it still has a little bit of a community (Please no stupid flame wars about this)

Here it's If you dont have DLC, "gtfo of my game, you suck". Same can be said if you only have like 100 songs. Which goes in to my next point that the whole console DLC division is probably one of the worst things to happen to this genre.

From a RBN author standpoint i understand Hmx decision to have the cap. Five songs, with normal DLC that's about 8- 20 songs a week depending on the release. Which is quite a few songs when you look at it.
    edited March 2012
    hmxhenry;4678283 said:

It's unlikely that we'd be able to increase our PS3 RBN output anytime soon, and unless Sony was able to implement a similar UGC set up as the 360 (which I would personally love to see) then it's doubtful that they would be able to increase their output as well. Encouraging Sony to adopt a more robust UGC set up for indie devs would certainly be a step in the direction you're looking to go, and is maybe more beneficial than requesting an allowance specifically for content in one game.

That's what I was thinking. At least things like Move.Me and their indie pub fund was moving towards that, so who knows what we might see in the near future.
    Thanks for the clarification Henry.

ASPMike;4678297 said:
    Five songs, with normal DLC that's about 8- 20 songs a week depending on the release. Which is quite a few songs when you look at it.
    Hence the suggestion of an oscillating cap at around 12 or so. (With exceptions for content too large, such as London Calling.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 2012
    hmxhenry;4678283 said:
    ... This last step requires a lot more hands on work from our team and a lot more QA bandwidth from Sony, which requires a good deal of paper work and weeks of submission lead time. We don't have an infinite amount of bandwidth to submit content....

HA-HA! Take that XBox 360'ers! You too can join in on the blame Sony bandwagon for fewer overall DLC being released as of late...since HMX has to spend more time on porting over our PSN tracks, that's less time for authoring more official DLC tracks. So...take that! :D :p
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Yes, blame Sony and not increased Dance Central DLC, more parts to author on each track, seeeeecret projects, or the overall decline of plastic instrument games.
    edited March 2012
    Thank you hmxhenry! That cleared some things up for me. I had gathered from a year or so of forum-lurking that it was mostly Sony setting the cap; I didn't realize the amount of work necessary on your end, also.

EDIT: Oh... and I forgot to mention. Thank you Harmonix for not only reading customer questions and comments but to giving in-depth responses to them where possible. I, and the rest of the community, really appreciate it.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4678564 said:
    Yes, blame Sony and not increased Dance Central DLC, more parts to author on each track, seeeeecret projects, or the overall decline of plastic instrument games.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Pretty sure.
  • edited March 2012
    BachiG;4678559 said:
    HA-HA! Take that XBox 360'ers! You too can join in on the blame Sony bandwagon for fewer overall DLC being released as of late...since HMX has to spend more time on porting over our PSN tracks, that's less time for authoring more official DLC tracks. So...take that! :D :p

That may be the most schadenfreudey schadenfreude I have ever seen.
    Drilnoth;4678656 said:
    Thank you hmxhenry! That cleared some things up for me. I had gathered from a year or so of forum-lurking that it was mostly Sony setting the cap; I didn't realize the amount of work necessary on your end, also.

EDIT: Oh... and I forgot to mention. Thank you Harmonix for not only reading customer questions and comments but to giving in-depth responses to them where possible. I, and the rest of the community, really appreciate it.

You're most welcome! I'm here to help.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2012
    ASPMike;4678297 said:
    Opinion from a music gamer;
    To be honest, what doesn't help is the division of the community. For the longest time the guitar hero community (le gasp) was the better community because it didn't care and everyone equally got DLC on time. Therefore no fighting, now it's a wasteland of people. But it still has a little bit of a community (Please no stupid flame wars about this)

LOL, the GH community was way worse. With them it's more metal or you suck, at least with RB you can actually choose songs which aren't metal and still be able to play. It's happened way too much that I've chosen songs like Fascination Street and everyone has quit. In contrast, for RB people have sometimes deleted songs that I've picked but I did the same with Beast And The Harlot so it's fair.
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Lol, that's the way i seen it with the RB community. Then again back in WT days i only had about 20 DLC songs, the free stuff and any exports i could get my hands on in RB, lol. Either way, opinion is opinion :P
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I feel like even an upgrade to 8 songs would make people much happier. Me included. I just recently started buying songs from RBN, but there is quite a few more that we don't have that I really want to see. Also buying quite a few electronic songs I never thought I would get.
    edited March 2012
    nascargo19;4683836 said:
    I feel like even an upgrade to 8 songs would make people much happier. Me included.
    ...Uh huh. What UPgrade in amount of content provided would possibly make fans LESS happy?
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Upgrade in Limp Bizkit tracks?
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    nascargo19;4683836 said:
    I feel like even an upgrade to 8 songs would make people much happier. Me included. I just recently started buying songs from RBN, but there is quite a few more that we don't have that I really want to see. Also buying quite a few electronic songs I never thought I would get.
    I want more RBN songs on PS3 as much as anyone, if not more. But if you've just recently started dipping your toes into the RBN pool, I think you should be more focused on going through the back catalog and beefing up your song library with what's already there. If you want more content in the future, you kinda have to support the content we have now.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 2012
    nascargo19;4684452 said:
    Upgrade in Limp Bizkit tracks?

I know many people on my Friend List that have the Limp Bizkit pack, I also have it :)
    edited April 2012
    grumblevolcano;4694464 said:
    I know many people on my Friend List that have the Limp Bizkit pack, I also have it :)
    I'm so sorry.
  • DaxterDudeDaxterDude Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Just get an Xbox and be done with it. Sadly things are how they are. Probably won't change either. Xbox has ALWAYS gotten DLC first if AT ALL. If it's DLC you're looking for get an Xbox.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    DaxterDude;4699058 said:
    Just get an Xbox and be done with it. Sadly things are how they are. Probably won't change either. Xbox has ALWAYS gotten DLC first if AT ALL. If it's DLC you're looking for get an Xbox.
    Yes! This, my fellow PS3 users, is the only real solution. Let us all forget that the Rock Band platform and its weekly DLC existed for more than two years before the five-song-per-week RBN limit on PS3 became known, and then abandon the hundreds of dollars we've invested in software, peripherals, and content, and then do everything all over again. You just can't argue with airtight logic like that.
  • jmhardjmhard Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Numskull;4699076 said:
    Yes! This, my fellow PS3 users, is the only real solution. Let us all forget that the Rock Band platform and its weekly DLC existed for more than two years before the five-song-per-week RBN limit on PS3 became known, and then abandon the hundreds of dollars we've invested in software, peripherals, and content, and then do everything all over again. You just can't argue with airtight logic like that.
    Agreed. I've heard that logic far too many times. You would think that kind no one would even submit that sort of gross oversimplification. Sure, if I had known then what I know now, I would have bought an XBOX and started there. But I've come too far on the PS3 to turn back now.