The TAG new music initiative

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    Never heard of Cynic. How would you describe them?
  • edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4679306 said:
    This is just the start lex. We'll make sure to throw in some Prog for you here and there in the future :D

Oh, I know. As I said, I think it's a very exciting idea and hope it works out as well (or even better) as you're hoping it will. And as soon as you get those artists that I'm interested in *coughOpethcoughcoughAyreoncoughKamelotcough*, I'll be sending you more than my best wishes as well. ;)
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4679323 said:

they already have a song in rbn, damn fun on drums

Bad cough you got there Lex, might want to see a doctor about that
  • edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4679323 said:

Avant-garde/progressive metal. You won't like them.

As jibs has pointed out, they already have on track on RBN, by the way, called The Space For This.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4679327 said:
    Avant-garde/progressive metal. You won't like them.
    Yeah, when you said that you were excited that pretty much deflated any excitement I would have had for them :p
  • machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4679329 said:
    Yeah, when you said that you were excited that pretty much deflated any excitement I would have had for them :p
    check out that video for Space For This. If you don't like it, no harm no foul, but they're a decent metal band for people who "don't like metal" in that they don't have a lot of growly stuff or low chuggy stuff or anything like that.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    fact, if this is still going in the summer, you get $250 from me.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4679168 said:
    $500 - Tag will write, record, author and release a song (genre of your choosing) all about you and how awesome you are into the Rock Band Network for you and all your friends to purchase.
    Pssh, I got that without donating.

Nah, but if I ever get consistent income, I will definitely help some of these along.
  • edited March 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4679342 said:
    Pssh, I got that without donating.

Nah, but if I ever get consistent income, I will definitely help some of these along.

I think you owe ATF some money.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Once I get a job, I'll happily hand over some moneys
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Way to announce the cynic in the wrong thread >.>

EDIT: either you're off your rocker, or you're a genius.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4679288 said:
    Carbon Based Anatomy anyone?

YES!x1000
    I even asked a few days ago if you were getting anything from that EP :D I feel special in a way
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I'll be honest. I loved the idea until I saw what you are offering as prizes. Seriously, "prizes"? That actually puts me off from DONATING for the greater good. This should not be a raffle with "prizes" but should be a professional crowd-sourcing exercise.

The problem with saying the person who donates $1k will get to choose an artist becomes apparent when they then demand you go after Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin. Even though you said that is not the aim, and we all know it is not going to happen, it will cause issues with the donor and just waste everyone's time.

Personally I would be more willing to donate to a project that already has legitimate artists which can be acquired with fixed targets. For example, if you said that it would cost $2k to get the rights to release Cupids Dead by Extreme (I'm just picking one I saw in USL) then I would donate $x if I can see how well the donations are doing to hit the target. Then the profit after released could then go towards a different artist, again with a visible target level.

Have 3-4 of these songs at one time. Everyone who donates votes once (or x times, depending on size of donation) and the song with the most votes is chased. Majority of donations wins, and hopefully the majority of the players purchase it and the extra revenue helps to reduce the cost of the next crowd-sourced track.

Anyway, ignore if you want. I still wish you the best of luck :)
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    This is a great concept. I will look forward to donating.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I would start getting word out on the various fan sites (ie, rockbandaide) asap.

Here's a question - would it be possible to pursue full albums this way? I was thinking they might be more cost efficient, since they would likely have a handful of well known singles with the remainder of the songs maybe not commanding as premium a price (unless I don't know what I'm talking about, of course).

Irregardtheless, see if you can finagle some Victory Records Taking Back Sunday (Tell All Your Friends) and Thursday (Full Collapse). I would eagerly kick in a lot for those.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Blasteroids;4679358 said:
    Personally I would be more willing to donate to a project that already has legitimate artists which can be acquired with fixed targets. For example, if you said that it would cost $2k to get the rights to release Cupids Dead by Extreme (I'm just picking one I saw in USL) then I would donate $x if I can see how well the donations are doing to hit the target. Then the profit after released could then go towards a different artist, again with a visible target level.

This is pretty much the plan.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I'll be honest. I loved the idea until I saw what you are offering as prizes. Seriously, "prizes"? That actually puts me off from DONATING for the greater good. This should not be a raffle with "prizes" but should be a professional crowd-sourcing exercise.
    Watch any PBS lately? Donation "incentives" are pretty standard.

Anybody who donates $1K and demands Zeppelin has had their head under a rock for 4 years, and TAG has already disclaimed the "no guarantees, no promises" part. If somebody makes a huge donation, they just buy a seat at the table when proposing the next batch of artists to contact.

Seems reasonable to me. Who knows if it will work or not, given the economy, the demographic of the average RB player, etc...but it seems like a pretty interesting experiment, and at the least it allows some die-hard RB players to put their money where their mouth is.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4679348 said:
    I think you owe ATF some money.
    Psssh. I might buy it and send him a few cents off the royalty money.
    ITT: Blasteroids doesn't know how Kickstarter works. Look at any other Kickstarter, and you'll see prize ranges. I'm not sure how you called benchmark benefits a 'raffle', unless you have no idea what a raffle is.
    The problem with saying the person who donates $1k will get to choose an artist becomes apparent when they then demand you go after Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin. Even though you said that is not the aim, and we all know it is not going to happen, it will cause issues with the donor and just waste everyone's time.
    Except the people that are the donating crowd for these projects have very little overlap with the 'Did Not Do The Research' Led Zeppelin baw-ers, so that's a no-go again.
    You just said exactly what's in the first post, did you read it?
    edited March 2012

Have 3-4 of these songs at one time. Everyone who donates votes once (or x times, depending on size of donation) and the song with the most votes is chased. Majority of donations wins, and hopefully the majority of the players purchase it and the extra revenue helps to reduce the cost of the next crowd-sourced track.

so let me get this one right, what you are trying to say is that for example:
    2 tracks, both tracks being completely different genres

i donate $200 (vote) for track A
    10 people donate $250 total (25 each) for track B

track B gets chased because it has more votes, making my money go to track B which i don't even want in the game?

if anything, that will make me not donate ever
    edited March 2012
    queuemark;4679361 said:

Irregardtheless, see if you can finagle some Victory Records Taking Back Sunday (Tell All Your Friends) and Thursday (Full Collapse). I would eagerly kick in a lot for those.

if you want anything from victory, please go talk to Rhythm Authors. victory has an active partnership with them (they recently uploaded 8 songs into playtesting), and we do not intend to, or ever plan, ect to go after anybody already involved with another authoring group.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4679307 said:
    We're going to be bringing multiple tracks from their Carbon Based Anatomy album to RBN here in the near future.

Boom. Best announcement ever, even better than the kickstarter, for me.

Seriously, the sad thing is that I don't have money (since I'm working pratically for free since january) otherwise I would easily have donated 20 bucks for scorpions.

Rock You Like a Hurricane is a must.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    hmm I think I know where my paycheck is going....
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Zemanator;4679369 said:
    if you want anything from victory, please go talk to Rhythm Authors. victory has an active partnership with them (they recently uploaded 8 songs into playtesting), and we do not intend to, or ever plan, ect to go after anybody already involved with another authoring group.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Too bad, it sounds like they (Victory) only view it as a marketing tool.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    jibjqrkl;4679368 said:
    so let me get this one right, what you are trying to say is that for example:
    2 tracks, both tracks being completely different genres

i donate $200 (vote) for track A
    10 people donate $250 total (25 each) for track B

track B gets chased because it has more votes, making my money go to track B which i don't even want in the game?

if anything, that will make me not donate ever

Depends how they set it all up. If they do a kickstarter per song, then no, that won't happen. If they do a kickstarter per batch, then you'd be contributing to the batch as a whole. And Kickstarter lets you withdraw support before a campaign closes anyway (since you only pay up when and if the campaign hits its target).
    edited March 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4679379 said:
    Depends how they set it all up. If they do a kickstarter per song, then no, that won't happen. If they do a kickstarter per batch, then you'd be contributing to the batch as a whole

i know that. i was asking this to blasteroids. who i quoted.
    who said something that would end up in going like i described in my post

didn't know you could withdraw support though, thnx for that info
    edited March 2012
    queuemark;4679378 said:
    Oh yeah, I forgot. Too bad, it sounds like they (Victory) only view it as a marketing tool.

victory has been releasing old school day to remember, so there's no harm in asking.

however, since TBS is no longer signed to victory, I dont think they'll have any interest in that, which sucks. I'd like some old TBS too :\
    edited March 2012
    we would be licencing three packs, you can withdraw support at any time with kickstarter, and if you don't hit the required mark, you get all your money back.

so, if you donate towards the pack with the song you want, then your money would be going towards that song you want
  • non_zeronon_zero Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I'd love to contribute but I'm barely keeping up with my $300 in monthly credit card payments, and I've already sold everything valuable that I own (except my Xbox and computer because they're required to run an RBN authoring group). I's poor.

If I won the lottery a large chunk of it would probably go toward licensing songs in this fashion, though.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2012
    Questions (Some of which I probably still know the answer too, but would rather ask)

1) This is still coming to us though RBN? Or will HMX being putting these songs out as "official" DLC for all 3 consoles? I assume if they are you're getting some kind of exemption to push them though?

2) If these songs are coming though RBN, will these artists get priority to getting ported over to the PS3? (Feel free to mention throwing the Wii a bone as well)

3) Will these come in actual 3 packs (Discount and all)?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2012
    Believe me I'd rather not do prizes. The money we spend making and getting the prizes for the donations would be better spent going to the songs. That's just me. But Kickstarter isn't set up that way and you need to offer donation incentives. Just the way it is.

As for songs when we do the kickstarter we will say here are these three songs (we'll have specific songs and not just saying we're going for three songs). So for instance we'll say Scorpions - Rock you like a Hurricane, Weird Al - Dare to be Stupid, Red - Breathe into me) AGAIN ALL JUST EXAMPLES), and we need x amount to license these three songs.

A person pledges x amount of money to the kickstarter. If we hit the goal then your credit cards, etc are charged. If we don't then no one is charged anything and that's that.

Now having said that would you guys prefer we do a three pack of various artists or a three pack from each artists. for instance Scorpions would be Rock you like a Hurricane, Rhythm of Love, and No One Like You, 3 pack, we need x amount to get it).

AGAIN ALL JUST EXAMPLES.

So which do you prefer 3 pack of singles or artist 3 pack?
    edited March 2012
    Bront20;4679389 said:
    Questions (Some of which I probably still know the answer too, but would rather ask)

1) This is still coming to us though RBN? Or will HMX being putting these songs out as "official" DLC for all 3 consoles? I assume if they are you're getting some kind of exemption to push them though?

2) If these songs are coming though RBN, will these artists get priority to getting ported over to the PS3? (Feel free to mention throwing the Wii a bone as well)

3) Will these come in actual 3 packs (Discount and all)?

have you read the OP?
    1. RBN
    2. no. but they will probably sell better (being bigger bands and all that), so they will probably be ported
    3. since it's rbn, no?