3/27 DLC Discussion Thread - Shinedown 3 Pack!

Comments

• BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4682498 said:
    I was thinking this too.

So many people saying never heard of them and they're part of the game already. Sure it's optional DLC, but that just strengthens my theory that hardly anyone listens or gives music they aren't familiar with a shot >_____>
    Or they're just not that memorable, like most modern rock these days.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2012
    So many people saying never heard of them and they're part of the game already. Sure it's optional DLC, but that just strengthens my theory that hardly anyone listens or gives music they aren't familiar with a shot >_____>

I give new music a shot when I have incentive to do so. With keys becoming such a favorite instrument that I look forward to trying out any and all new songs on keys, I now have incentive to do so. I didn't have that incentive when the first couple of Shinedown songs hit the market.

If that makes me a bad person then, well, dress me in leather and call me naughty.
  • towerhippietowerhippie Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    I'll listen with an open mind, but... who are they? I've never heard of them.
  • edited March 2012
    Han Daimond;4682481 said:
    More like Letdown.

Zing!

I haven't heard of any of these songs before. That hasn't happened since Breaking Benjamin and Papa Roach week.
  • PurplestratPurplestrat Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I was thinking this too.

It's hard to belive anyone that plays RB has never heard of them. They have been on "Rock" radio pretty steady since 06 or 07.
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    It just boggles my mind that people have not heard of Shinedown.

When "Second Chance" was released, you could not avoid the song unless you do not listen to the radio.

One of the best bands to come out in the past 20 years.

They had me with "Burning Bright" their first hit back in 04 or thereabouts.

They have a couple of duets with Lzzy Hale, that are just incredible.

"Shed Some Light" and "Breaking inside" both have versions with the Halestorm frontwoman, and they are a couple of the best songs I have ever heard.
  • edited March 2012
    I was thinking this too.

Maybe they're just that forgetable.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Highlandlassie1;4682507 said:
    When "Second Chance" was released, you could not avoid the song unless you do not listen to the radio.
    Bingo.
  • towerhippietowerhippie Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    I'm old, too. Lol. I've never heard of them, but I like your brief description of their sound. I'll definitely give them a listen. I'd never heard of The Mother Hips before Rock Band and I came to like them. You never know until you try. I'm certainly open to hearing new music. Would you recommend a few songs - Rock Band related or not - so I can check them out? Thanks. Cheers.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Bulzeeb;4682501 said:
    Or they're just not that memorable, like most modern rock these days.

Modern Rock these days all sounds the same. It's just been the same crap churned out over and over again since Post-Grunge became THE radio rock sound. Pretty much all RADIO RAWK has been for YEARS now is generic power chords and the same gravely voiced singing style with the slightest Southern twang to it.

Maybe I'm just being too closed-minded, but to me Shinedown sounds like Nickelback sounds like Creed sounds like Staind sounds like Cold sounds like Breaking Benjamin, sounds like Puddle of Mudd. Yeah, each of these bands have their own sound, but fundamentally they're all the same and pretty indistinguishable if you've never heard them before.

Just saw the teaser trailer. The only song I would remotely think about getting is Second Chance, and even then, meh. That Bully song sounds awful.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    I was thinking this too.

Hey! I resent that XP
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    tdc002;4682514 said:
    but to me Shinedown sounds like Nickelback
    I agree to this...
  • SnowdragonsSnowdragons Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    *sigh*. Still we have not gotten any good songs since the Megadeth pack IMO. Listening to this weeks songs made me want to puke (i'm not kidding). To make it even worse, we PS3 and Wii users won't get any new songs till sometime during the summer. That whould mean that we wont get any good songs for perhaps half a year or longer. I guess i'll take a break from the game since we wont get anything new for quite a while. Just hope they fix this DLC thing soon so that Rock Band can continue living on for me.
    edited March 2012
    Purplestrat;4682505 said:
    It's hard to belive anyone that plays RB has never heard of them. They have been on "Rock" radio pretty steady since 06 or 07.
    Highlandlassie1;4682507 said:
    It just boggles my mind that people have not heard of Shinedown.

One of the best bands to come out in the past 20 years.

They had me with "Burning Bright" their first hit back in 04 or thereabouts.

They have a couple of duets with Lzzy Hale, that are just incredible.

"Shed Some Light" and "Breaking inside" both have versions with the Halestorm frontwoman, and they are a couple of the best songs I have ever heard.
    I've never heard of them or their songs. Believe it, guys :I
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4682521 said:
    I've never heard of them or their songs. Believe it, guys :I

They're already in Rock Band!

THEYRE ALREADY IN ROCK BAND

ALREADY IN ROCK BAND

AORB
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Pass...
    I never heard of this band before aside from their first appearance here, so I gave a listen to those songs: It's not my cup of tea. Actually, judging by the sound and structure I'd rather expect this band to appear in the Rock Band Network than in the official DLC...

On the "Disappointing Q1 2012" - discussion:

I have been buying a couple of songs in the last months, but there were only few that I bought because I liked them (80's stuff predominantly, Santana was pretty cool, "Down under" and Hall & Oates, too). I bought a lot of other songs only to support HMX, adding some yayper to the fundings, hoping for better stuff to come.

However, Q1 2012 has been the biggest letdown for my music taste ever since I started buying Rock Band DLC. Seems to me that HMX has big problems getting decent acts to publish DLC without MTV backing them up. At least that is my impression... pure guesswork of course. Adding the fading interest of the masses concerning the music game genre draws no pretty picture. The "amazing DLC" which was promised in those podcasts hasn't arrived yet. At least when it comes to my music taste. And I gotta add that I am willing to buy a lot of stuff only for party's sake, even if I don't really like it - and still, no matches.

I can accept getting only 3 songs a week, but I hope HMX will come up with some amazing DLC soon, or else I won't have a reason to further extend my library. People at my parties go on singing and playing the same stuff over and over, and my solidarity has its limits after all...

Not trying to blackmail anyone here, just saying...
    edited March 2012
    towerhippie;4682512 said:
    I'm old, too. Lol. I've never heard of them, but I like your brief description of their sound. I'll definitely give them a listen. I'd never heard of The Mother Hips before Rock Band and I came to like them. You never know until you try. I'm certainly open to hearing new music. Would you recommend a few songs - Rock Band related or not - so I can check them out? Thanks. Cheers.
    "What a shame" is just incredible. It is modern rock with an old west flavor.
    "Burning Bright" is great.
    "Lost in the crowd"
    "Breaking Inside" preferably the duet version with Lzzy Hale
    There are so many more.

Comparing them to Nickelback is just wrong, Brent Smith's voice is clean and pure, not raspy, and the lyrics tell a story that does not involve drinking and slutty sex.

A good stereo and subwoofer is needed to really appreciate this music, as it is very well produced, and super dynamic.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited March 2012
    NOT_Travis;4682494 said:
    Yeah. This is Shinedown. Not 3DG.

The Joke

You

Also find it perplexing that there are people here that haven't even heard of a Billboard charting band.
    edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4682522 said:
    They're already in Rock Band!

THEYRE ALREADY IN ROCK BAND

ALREADY IN ROCK BAND

AORB
    I only started my listen to all weeks policy with Limp Bizkit. And I only started reading the DLC Announcements weekly after the first VDay Pack.
  • PurplestratPurplestrat Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    tdc002;4682514 said:
    Modern Rock these days all sounds the same. It's just been the same crap churned out over and over again since Post-Grunge became THE radio rock sound. Pretty much all RADIO RAWK has been for YEARS now is generic power chords and the same gravely voiced singing style with the slightest Southern twang to it.

Maybe I'm just being too closed-minded, but to me Shinedown sounds like Nickelback sounds like Creed sounds like Staind sounds like Cold sounds like Breaking Benjamin, sounds like Puddle of Mudd. Yeah, each of these bands have their own sound, but fundamentally they're all the same and pretty indistinguishable if you've never heard them before.

Just saw the teaser trailer. The only song I would remotely think about getting is Second Chance, and even then, meh. That Bully song sounds awful.

I agree with this. I still listen to the radio once in a while but this what I end up hearing. Some of the music is not that bad but the fact that the singers all sound like they grew up in the south listening to Creed is annoying as hell! In fact the only Shinedown song I like is their cover of "Simple Man".
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    awesome!! finally good dlc
  • krabklawkrabklaw Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    obladerek;4682430 said:
    Weeks purchased in Q1 2008: 6 (12 songs)
    Weeks purchased in Q1 2009: 7 (21 songs)
    Weeks purchased in Q1 2010: 9 (24 songs)
    Weeks purchased in Q1 2011: 9 (40 songs including Clash's "London Calling" album)
    Weeks purchased in Q1 2012: 1 (1 song CCR's "Lodi")

Anybody feeling a pain similar to mine?
    I would just say that it doesn't feel like HMX is doing anything to dispel the notion that Rock Band is winding down into it's inevitable slow death.
    edited March 2012
    karaokefreak;4682523 said:
    Pass...
    I never heard of this band before aside from their first appearance here, so I gave a listen to those songs: It's not my cup of tea. Actually, judging by the sound and structure I'd rather expect this band to appear in the Rock Band Network than in the official DLC...

I have been buying a couple of songs in the last months, but there were only few that I bought because I liked them (80's stuff predominantly, Santana was pretty cool, "Down under" and Hall & Oates, too). I bought a lot of other songs only to support HMX, adding some yayper to the fundings, hoping for better stuff to come.

However, Q1 2012 has been the biggest letdown for my music taste ever since I started buying Rock Band DLC. Seems to me that HMX has big problems getting decent acts to publish DLC without MTV backing them up. At least that is my impression... pure guesswork of course. Adding the fading interest of the masses concerning the music game genre draws no pretty picture. The "amazing DLC" which was promised in those podcasts hasn't arrived yet. At least when it comes to my music taste. And I gotta add that I am willing to buy a lot of stuff only for party's sake, even if I don't really like it - and still, no matches.

I can accept getting only 3 songs a week, but I hope HMX will come up with some amazing DLC soon, or else I won't have a reason to further extend my library. People at my parties go on singing and playing the same stuff over and over, and my solidarity has its limits after all...

THIS is amazing DLC,

the earlier RB Shinedown songs were not to my taste, but Second Chance and crow are just great rock songs that appeal to a wide audience, young and old.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    krabklaw;4682531 said:
    I would just say that it doesn't feel like HMX is doing anything to dispel the notion that Rock Band is winding down into it's inevitable slow death.

You mean aside from repeatedly saying they have no plans to stop producing DLC and explicitly stating Rock Band is not winding down into it's inevitable slow death?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    I never seek out Modern Rock / NuMetal but if someone else is playing it, I sometimes find myself getting in to it. Why do I fight it?!? Like many others, I had never heard these guys or even heard OF them before the prediction thread ... that's really rare! (even given that I'm old)

I think I like "Junkies for Fame" best of all, too bad it's one of their old releases with no RB3 features.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    karaokefreak;4682523 said:
    Pass...

I have been buying a couple of songs in the last months, but there were only few that I bought because I liked them (80's stuff predominantly). I bought a lot of other songs only to support HMX, adding some yayper to the fundings, hoping for better stuff to come.

Worst 3 month span of DLC to start the year hands down. Now with the Wii DLC on hiatus and who knows if it EVER comes back (HMX keeps giving us the RB is healthy BS but I feel its like the GM of a pro sports team who gives his manager a vote of confidence but fires his arse in a month anyway) Don't believe everything you hear/read. The 3 songs a week of DLC is a sign people plain and simple. And to add insult to injury the Wii send off gets only 3 SONGS???? Lame very lame and don't tell me its "Nintendo's fault" of why its only 3 songs this week to tie us over until Wii DLC comes back if it ever does....
    edited March 2012
    Ha, just now heard..

107.7 the Bone, the largest Rock station in San Francisco is interviewing Brent Smith of Shinedown next hour, today.

Yea, if you have not heard of Shinedown, time to expand your musical horizons, or maybe switch your radio station off of the hip hop channel.
  • edited March 2012
    Quaszar;4682536 said:
    Worst 3 month span of DLC to start the year hands down. Now with the Wii DLC on hiatus and who knows if it EVER comes back (HMX keeps giving us the RB is healthy BS but I feel its like the GM of a pro sports team who gives his manager a vote of confidence but fires his arse in a month anyway) Don't believe everything you hear/read. The 3 songs a week of DLC is a sign people plain and simple. And to add insult to injury the Wii send off gets only 3 SONGS???? Lame very lame and don't tell me its "Nintendo's fault" of why its only 3 songs this week to tie us over until Wii DLC comes back if it ever does....

It'll come back, Chicken Little. No need to start investing in protection against falling skies just yet.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Quaszar;4682536 said:

Paranoid much? Why don't you wait until after PAX before you start the conspiracy theory crap.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2012
    Lets see so far this year I've purchased 32 songs.

Add another 58 for RBN tracks.

So 90 tracks in 12 weeks? AND I don't buy no where near every track.

Yeah DLC sure is winding down (insert eyeroll emoticon here).