Weird Al - Pick a three pack

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited February 2013 in The Rock Band Network
In our kickstarter thread a lot of people have asked for more than one weird al song.

We've already got one locked in as a choice, so if we bumped it up to three, what song would you choose from the choices below?

Keep in mind rights are scattered out across multiple labels so these songs are the ones we have access to that would fit the best with RB. Meaning interesting guitar, vocals, and keys if possible.

I know it's on the top of everyone's lists but Alberqurque is too long for RBN (you don't really want us to hack out two minutes of the song do you?), and Hardware store isn't with the group that is currently on board with us (maybe once this takes off we'll have access to more.)

And of course no parodies/polkas (too much like covers). So we're strictly dealing with original material here.

So here's the choices :
Germs (Nine Inch Nails 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/wqSKqS91UdA

When I was your age (Eagles/Don Henley 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/9kB78hM_lkI

Nature Trail to hell (early 80's metal style parody)
http://youtu.be/8clXuI34q6Y

CNR - (white stripes 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/VTwNYjwbwag

So what two songs would you pick from the above for RB?

Comments

• WeirdAlsfan98WeirdAlsfan98 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail For Me! :)
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4681089 said:
    I guess I should just come out and say it's Dare to Be Stupid.

It was on the original Transformers animated movie and a few other things back in the day.

All my kisses.
  • RetrokaiserRetrokaiser Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail to Hell & When I was your age get my votes..... in 3D.

Would of really liked "You make me" as a choice but eh. Beggars can't be choosers.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail To Hell. In 3-D, of course.

Although my favorite "parody of style, if not song" from that album is "Mr. Popeil" (a B-52's style homage)
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Also, I'm pretty sure that Pitchfork would give "Nature Trail To Hell on RBN!" some cheap publicity, since they have some dudes there that apparently love it.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Is there a reason we're only sticking with those four?

"Virus Alert"
    "Don't Download This Song"
    "Frank's 2000" TV"
    "One of Those Days"
    "This is the Life"
    "Why Does This Always Happen to Me"
    "Ringtone"
    "Your Horoscope For Today"
    "Everything You Know is Wrong"
    "Christmas at Ground Zero"

Pick ANY of these and it'd make a fantastic pack. Almost all of these have keys, are hilarious on the first and 100th listen, and are dang catchy.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    So you're not doing 3 artists packs? That's disappointing.
    I'll listen to them later, but put me down for that NIN like song. I like NIN.
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4681094 said:
    Not really getting all the CNR love, but then again, I can't stand the White Stripes either.

When I Was Your Age and Nature Trail to Hell get my votes.
    Sign me up for CNR until further notice, due to Der Lex's dislike of it and I like The White Stripes.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I once drove a black van full of high school buddies up a half-mile-long driveway deep in the backwoods, ditch on one side, sheer dropoff on the other, at night with the headlights OFF, just to freak out the guy with the bad night vision in the passenger seat.... while blasting Nature Trail to Hell.

Guess what I voted for ;)

YES! YES! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Or even "Party at the Leper Colony". All instruments all the time, two or three solos, and funny lyrics.

CNR sounds like it'd be awful on Rock Band
    Germs would be less bad, but still very boring.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 2012
    atalkingfish;4681147 said:
    Or even "Party at the Leper Colony". All instruments all the time, two or three solos, and funny lyrics.

CNR sounds like it'd be awful on Rock Band
    Germs would be less bad, but still very boring.

Germs would be worse. lol
    Edit: Obviously not on drums though.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4681139 said:
    So you're not doing 3 artists packs? That's disappointing.
    I'll listen to them later, but put me down for that NIN like song. I like NIN.

Do you mean packs of 3 songs, each by a different artist? Or 3 songs by the same artist? The way you phrased it was unclear. But either way, RBN does not allow for song packs anyway.

Not that I don't appreciate what TAG is doing here, but how are these threads not in the RBN subforum?
    edited March 2012
    The former and yeah I know about the pack thing. I was just using pack as a meaningless and discountless phrase.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    davidshek;4681189 said:
    Not that I don't appreciate what TAG is doing here, but how are these threads not in the RBN subforum?
    Because the process for getting songs on RBN is different than this project.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I know the songs are going through the RBN but one this is artists of a much higher/known state that it impacts more than just the 'regular' RBN artists and fans.

Two if this helps shine a light on the existing artists and labels on RBN then you can bet I'm going to do all I can to make that happen.

I don't see RBN and RB as two separate entities like some folks do. I see it as two channels that lead into the same DLC river.

If we could release these through 'official' DLC channels we would, but we have to work with what we have to work with, and if we want this to succeed it needs the highest amount of visibility possible.

With regular RBN stuff a song or deal lives or dies by what we as a group can bring to the table. In this instance we need the entire community and beyond to help make this succeed.
  • edited March 2012
    The only one I know from this list is Germs and that was my favorite Weird Al song back when I listened to him.

Edit: is there a reason why you cant use Horoscope for Today? I think its just a ska style parody and not an actual song parody. And its on the same album as Germs so I assume its on the same label.
  • ElectricAcidManElectricAcidMan Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    cwilbur;4681145 said:
    I once drove a black van full of high school buddies up a half-mile-long driveway deep in the backwoods, ditch on one side, sheer dropoff on the other, at night with the headlights OFF, just to freak out the guy with the bad night vision in the passenger seat.... while blasting Nature Trail to Hell.
    And seconded by one of the guys in that same van. (Now the night-visioned-impaired one, though) That was also an unofficial song for us when I was in Boy Scouts.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited March 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4681200 said:
    The only one I know from this list is Germs and that was my favorite Weird Al song back when I listened to him.

Edit: is there a reason why you cant use Horoscope for Today? I think its just a ska style parody and not an actual song parody. And its on the same album as Germs so I assume its on the same label.

Get out of my head!!!
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I *really* want Albuquerque. No chance HMX would make an exception for pure awesome? I might even accept a little butchering, if it was feasible.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2012
    edited March 2012
    I listened to Albuquerque in TT and was bored to tears o-o
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited March 2012
    I voted CNR... but it would be awesome to get my favorite Weird Al song which is Virus Alert...
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    HeyRiles;4681253 said:
    I prefer Liam Lynch's parody of White Stripes

Speaking of Lynch, we need United States of Whatever.

Also, I want CNR if only because of that stupid cool music video.
  • smokeybluzzsmokeybluzz Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Awesome happenings going on Noble my Friend.. I selected Germs! I really do hope this works as it will lead to bigger and better things for Rock Band in general! \m/~_~\m/ Let's ROCK!
  • BrutalBrianBrutalBrian Road Warrior
    edited March 2012

It was on the original Transformers animated movie and a few other things back in the day.
    Awesome. That makes 2 songs from the movie in RB.

I'll take CNR. Is there any chance for 'Young, Dumb, and Ugly' from Alapalooza?
  • Gaden9210Gaden9210 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4681094 said:
    Not really getting all the CNR love, but then again, I can't stand the White Stripes either.

When I Was Your Age and Nature Trail to Hell get my votes.

This for me aswell
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    If I have to pick someone to mimick, I pick NIN. :)

if we are allowed more than one, then "Germs" as first choice and "CNR" as second.
  • WonderWaageUKWonderWaageUK Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    CNR... When You Don't Love Me Anymore ain't there!
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail to Hell all the way. Also on the same album "Midnight Star" is an original song and it has keys, harmonies, and a guitar solo.
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Question - is the purpose of this thread to pick which songs will be in a Weird Al Kickstarter?

If this is an official Kickstarter thread, could we make an exception to the forum rules and leave it in the main forums.

I fear that many don't venture into the RBN forums to give their thoughts...