Weird Al - Pick a three pack

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited February 2013 in The Rock Band Network
In our kickstarter thread a lot of people have asked for more than one weird al song.

We've already got one locked in as a choice, so if we bumped it up to three, what song would you choose from the choices below?

Keep in mind rights are scattered out across multiple labels so these songs are the ones we have access to that would fit the best with RB. Meaning interesting guitar, vocals, and keys if possible.

I know it's on the top of everyone's lists but Alberqurque is too long for RBN (you don't really want us to hack out two minutes of the song do you?), and Hardware store isn't with the group that is currently on board with us (maybe once this takes off we'll have access to more.)

And of course no parodies/polkas (too much like covers). So we're strictly dealing with original material here.

So here's the choices :
Germs (Nine Inch Nails 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/wqSKqS91UdA

When I was your age (Eagles/Don Henley 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/9kB78hM_lkI

Nature Trail to hell (early 80's metal style parody)
http://youtu.be/8clXuI34q6Y

CNR - (white stripes 'style' parody)
http://youtu.be/VTwNYjwbwag

So what two songs would you pick from the above for RB?

Comments

• Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2012
    CNR and Germs.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    CNR man. Such a awesome song
  • drhansdrhans Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    CNR is great, but I'm voting Nature Trail to Hell cause I am old. And it's the best.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    Before i joined this forum.. i didn't even know Wierd Al had originals.. so i can't really say what i want from him
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2012
    Well check out the vids and see which one you think would be fun in the game ;)
    edited March 2012
    I suppose if you haven't posted it now that you're not going to tell us what your locked-in song is?
    edited March 2012
    Well if you know what his most famous original song is then you should be able to figure it out.
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4681083 said:
    Well if you know what his most famous original song is then you should be able to figure it out.
    Admittedly there are a few choices in that, because Al was no slouch in popularity, but his most popular seems a bit too old and I'd imagine it's on a different label thusly, so I might be thinking of something else entirely.

But if it is what I'm thinking, all my kisses.
  • RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4681083 said:

Either "One More Minute" or "You Don't Love Me Anymore". Either would be great.

I welcome any and all Weird Al songs to the game. Although, I think "Nature Trail to Hell" would probably be the most fun in this game.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 2012
    Okay i've never heard any of these, so i'm listening to them.. here's my run down.

Germs- probably wouldn't be much fun, but is pretty funny. I'll pass.

When I was your age- has like an 80s vibe too it mixed with the eagles. So far my favorite... let's go to the next one.

Nature Trail to Hell- Wow, very weird intro, but sounds fun for keys. Love the lyrics.
    Yup i like this one too. So now i have 2 songs i like...

Ok... Like CNR too a lot.

Going with....
    CNR.
    edited March 2012
    I guess I should just come out and say it's Dare to Be Stupid.

It was on the original Transformers animated movie and a few other things back in the day.
  • DragonclawDragonclaw Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, "One More Minute" and "You Don't Love Me Anymore" would be immediate purchases from me. lots of good stuff in his originals but for the list here I have to give it to CNR and Natute Trail To Hell if I'm looking at the fun factor with CNR being my fave :)

Dare we hope for a Black Friday holiday kick off with "The Night Santa Went Crazy" and "Christmas At Ground Zero"?
  • RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4681089 said:
    Ugh, I can't believe I missed that. I'm so stupid.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2012
    (you don't really want us to hack out two minutes of the song do you?)

Yes. I do. I really do. I could do a hacky edit of an mp3 file for you if you want a rough idea of how it could sound.
    RM-225;4681092 said:
    Ugh, I can't believe I missed that. I'm so stupid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_UJxuQGXo
  • edited March 2012
    Not really getting all the CNR love, but then again, I can't stand the White Stripes either.

When I Was Your Age and Nature Trail to Hell get my votes.
  • WeirdAlsfan98WeirdAlsfan98 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail For Me! :)
    edited March 2012

It was on the original Transformers animated movie and a few other things back in the day.

All my kisses.
  • RetrokaiserRetrokaiser Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail to Hell & When I was your age get my votes..... in 3D.

Would of really liked "You make me" as a choice but eh. Beggars can't be choosers.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Nature Trail To Hell. In 3-D, of course.

Although my favorite "parody of style, if not song" from that album is "Mr. Popeil" (a B-52's style homage)
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Also, I'm pretty sure that Pitchfork would give "Nature Trail To Hell on RBN!" some cheap publicity, since they have some dudes there that apparently love it.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Is there a reason we're only sticking with those four?

"Virus Alert"
    "Don't Download This Song"
    "Frank's 2000" TV"
    "One of Those Days"
    "This is the Life"
    "Why Does This Always Happen to Me"
    "Ringtone"
    "Your Horoscope For Today"
    "Everything You Know is Wrong"
    "Christmas at Ground Zero"

Pick ANY of these and it'd make a fantastic pack. Almost all of these have keys, are hilarious on the first and 100th listen, and are dang catchy.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2012
    So you're not doing 3 artists packs? That's disappointing.
    I'll listen to them later, but put me down for that NIN like song. I like NIN.
    edited March 2012
    Der_Lex;4681094 said:
    Not really getting all the CNR love, but then again, I can't stand the White Stripes either.

When I Was Your Age and Nature Trail to Hell get my votes.
    Sign me up for CNR until further notice, due to Der Lex's dislike of it and I like The White Stripes.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I once drove a black van full of high school buddies up a half-mile-long driveway deep in the backwoods, ditch on one side, sheer dropoff on the other, at night with the headlights OFF, just to freak out the guy with the bad night vision in the passenger seat.... while blasting Nature Trail to Hell.

Guess what I voted for ;)

YES! YES! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    Or even "Party at the Leper Colony". All instruments all the time, two or three solos, and funny lyrics.

CNR sounds like it'd be awful on Rock Band
    Germs would be less bad, but still very boring.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 2012
    atalkingfish;4681147 said:
    Or even "Party at the Leper Colony". All instruments all the time, two or three solos, and funny lyrics.

CNR sounds like it'd be awful on Rock Band
    Germs would be less bad, but still very boring.

Germs would be worse. lol
    Edit: Obviously not on drums though.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4681139 said:
    So you're not doing 3 artists packs? That's disappointing.
    I'll listen to them later, but put me down for that NIN like song. I like NIN.

Do you mean packs of 3 songs, each by a different artist? Or 3 songs by the same artist? The way you phrased it was unclear. But either way, RBN does not allow for song packs anyway.

Not that I don't appreciate what TAG is doing here, but how are these threads not in the RBN subforum?
    edited March 2012
    The former and yeah I know about the pack thing. I was just using pack as a meaningless and discountless phrase.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    davidshek;4681189 said:
    Not that I don't appreciate what TAG is doing here, but how are these threads not in the RBN subforum?
    Because the process for getting songs on RBN is different than this project.
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I know the songs are going through the RBN but one this is artists of a much higher/known state that it impacts more than just the 'regular' RBN artists and fans.

Two if this helps shine a light on the existing artists and labels on RBN then you can bet I'm going to do all I can to make that happen.

I don't see RBN and RB as two separate entities like some folks do. I see it as two channels that lead into the same DLC river.

If we could release these through 'official' DLC channels we would, but we have to work with what we have to work with, and if we want this to succeed it needs the highest amount of visibility possible.

With regular RBN stuff a song or deal lives or dies by what we as a group can bring to the table. In this instance we need the entire community and beyond to help make this succeed.