Disappointing

Peaky1969Peaky1969 Unsigned
edited May 2012 in LEGO: Rock Band
I've just bought a used copy of Lego Rock Band. I had no idea there was a big drama with exporting LRB in RB3. Granted maybe I should have looked into it before I bought it. I play more of the COD/Gears stuff than the music games...I like to pop RB, or GH in before bed and play a song or two.

The code that comes with the game said it's already been redeemed, so I go to the export songs part to purchase, and the error comes up that I see everybody has dealt with. First time I can remember something like this happening, like I'm saying to a company, here is my $10, take it, it's yours, and I'll happily give it to you...and you can't do it!

I'll play through LRB, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but was looking forward to pulling all the songs into my RB3library. Pity it's made to be a nightmare to do it. looks like some of you have posted guides on how to do it, but I haven't really read them....at the moment, I feel like, screw it

Sorry to vent...

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    If you were so willing to give money to the company, maybe you should have bought new! Why DIDN'T you buy new? The game is $10 new on 360, and $13 new on PS3. Return that while you can, go to Amazon, buy a copy that has an unused code.
  • Peaky1969Peaky1969 Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    Doesn't bother me that the code was used. I very rarely buy used games, I was in Gamestop paying for the pre-order for Tiger '13, and I happened to look, and saw LRB for $6. Bothers me that it's such a mess is the issue. Should be as follows, go the music store inside LRB, go to the export, then when it comes up "purchase", 800 MP, done. All this stuff about tokens etc...?????

And thank you for your advice, it's now been ordered on Amazon.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2012
    Yes, tokens. Same way if a game comes with a code, the code is one-use only. If you buy Microsoft Points on a card, you can't keep redeeming the code over and over. Harmonix doesn't keep any of the money from exporting, if they let the entire world pass around a single disc and export from it, they'd go out of business.
    edited March 2012
    I can understand that. The part that I don't understand is this. Take a game, let's say Battlefield 3. I believe that comes with an online pass. If someone buys it used, I believe it wll come up and say you require an online pass to access the multiplayer part of the game. Fair enough, it's a simple process, 800 mp, buy the pass, done, and off you go. It doesn't seem to make sense to me, that the same process isn't in place here. There is a code in the box yes, but go to a website, put this in, get a to token etc.....just seems like a long drawn out process..and on top of that, you can't directly just purcahse a "pass", with this error that seems to have been there forever, from what I am reading...

Maybe it's a licensing thing? I have no clue. Thankfully I rarely buy used, LRB was a impulse buy....this will teach me!!
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2012
    If you buy a $10 DLC pack, you get 6 songs. LEGO Rock Band has 45 songs. If they just let you export with any old copy of the game, people would (and have tried to) just rent it and keep all the songs. This was abused all the time with Rock Band 1.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited March 2012
    Peaky1969;4684472 said:
    It doesn't seem to make sense to me, that the same process isn't in place here.

Yeah, that's because nothing in life is standardized. haha Companies don't seem to feel a need to discuss how their products should all work according to one model.

Glad you ordered a new copy. Hope it all works out for you.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited March 2012
    There's also the fact that, unlike most games, Rock Band games involve music licensing, which is kinda notorious for being finicky.
    edited May 2012
    If it was good enough for me to post on here *****ing and moaning about not being able to export Lego RB, it's good enough for me to do a follow-up post, everything now exported and working fine :)

I actually decided to drop some $$, and export everything I had to RB3, which now puts me at 398 songs, and did the same for the Guitar Hero series, owning all of them now, and I exported what I could, and I think in Warriors of Rock I have 350 songs...fun times ahead! Suffering from a little OCD with these games, I have to get 100% on every song I touch....some of these GH songs, even on easy, at the tail end of the career, are a pain in the butt lol

So manly working RB1 & GH2 at the moment, with brief journeys into the other games....
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    Glad everything worked out!