Rock Band Blitz – Rumors and Facts

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Rock Band™ Blitz was released for the PlayStation®Network on August 28th for $14.99 (EURO: 10.99 € POUNDS: £7.49) and to Xbox LIVE® Arcade on August 29th for 1200 Microsoft Points™. – July 18 press release

Because this post was created and updated prior to the release, the information below may be outdated.

Description

The gameplay is similar to Rock Band: Unplugged.

"Blitz is a downloadable music game along the lines of Amplitude or Frequency that aims to take the rhythms and melodies from your favorite music and transform them into gaming elements in a flat-out action arcade game. It’s part-beat matching, part pinball, and judging from my playtime, all fast-paced, arcadey fun, especially if you’re a music fan." - G4tv Hands on

"The game lays out all of a song’s instrument parts in paths, and you use your controller to “play” notes as they slide toward you. Like Frequency or Amplitude, you switch from track to track, playing drums, bass, keyboard, guitar and vocals, in any combination you’d like." - G4tv Hands on

“…within each lane, you have two sub-lanes that let you play different notes on that instrument. Several control schemes are available, but in the one we used for our hands-on demo, LT and RT move you between the five lanes, while the D-pad and the A button shift you between an instrument’s two sub-lanes.” – OXMonline

"There were two reasons we settled on two [lanes for each instrument]: one was that the modern controller is better suited to two [lanes] instead of three [like the gameplay of] Frequency and Amplitude. But I think a more fundamental reason is that the choice was to let you focus a measure or two down the track as you play through and let you strategize about what you’re doing to do. And we found that if we took a little mental load off the beat matching and made it just a little bit easier to comprehend; you had the mental space to think about the strategy of what you're going to do to maximize your score." – The Verge

"It’s a simple concept that takes minutes to pick up, but Blitz is addictive, and provides such a variety of multipliers, power-ups and ways to rack up points, arcade game fans will spend a lot of time getting better at it. While you’re mastering hitting the multiplayer rhythm gems, and building your multiplier, you also have the option of firing off bottle rockets to explode notes farther up the timeline, or you could choose to chase down a blast note to increase your score. - G4tv Hands on

Game Play

The game has a single difficulty level – “game’s lone difficulty level” - OXMonline

You can't fail out of songs – Joystiq – Apr 8

Missing notes doesn't kill your score multiplier. Your score multiplier is basically additive only; every time you successfully complete a measure in an instrument, that particular instrument's multiplier goes up. Checkpoints in each song reset everything's multiplier. This "leveling" system motivates you to jump from instrument to instrument. – Joystiq – Apr 8

The "locking" mechanic from Frequency, Amplitude, and Rock Band Unplugged is also gone. In those games, a successful chain of notes caused that lane to "lock" for a while, with that instrument playing itself so you can jump to the next one. In Blitz, you can play the same instrument for the whole song if you want, and it's totally up to you when you want to jump over. – Joystiq – Apr 8

The game is still about scores… but at the same time the scoring mechanic doesn't dictate the way the whole game works. It's a more freeform experience… It's casual without being "casual." And as much as I don't want to admit it, that's actually more interesting than a return to Frequency. – Joystiq – Apr 8

Coins and Power-ups
Power-ups are purchased using in-game coins. Coins are earned by playing songs and completing goals that are posted on the Facebook App “Rock Band World”.

The coin economy system can be tweaked by Harmonix at any time. For more information you can look at this thread

There are over 15 power-ups in the game across three categories, samples include:

Overdrive Power-ups: Play glowing notes to earn Energy, then deploy insane Overdrive Power-ups (Partial List):
• Shockwave: Sends a sonic wave that earns you bonus points for every note it touches! The more Energy you’ve stored, the larger the Shockwave!
• Point Doubler: Earns two times the points for every note played!
• Jackpot: Launch Jackpot to start a run that will earn you three times the points if you can play a section of notes perfectly. Be careful – miss a note and you lose it all!

Equip Note Power-ups to randomly scatter glowing purple notes throughout a song. Hit those notes for some wild, point-boosting effects, like…
• Flame note: Hit this note to start a fire. Follow the spreading blaze to earn bonus points!
• Runaway Note: Trigger this type of note to send a spark down the track. Chase that runaway note down and get the big points.
• Synchrony: For the rhythm junkie, Synchrony allows you to switch tracks on the downbeat for bonus points. Switching at the measure markers also plays notes on both tracks!

Click here for Achievement List Note: Game has 500 points, so 100 of them are DLC related. For example, “Loyal Fan – Play at least 10 unique songs by same artist”

Availability
The game will not be initially available for the Wii. When Harmonix was asked if the songs will ever be available on the Wii they replied, “We don’t really know. This may depend on if we decide to release Rock Band Blitz onto the Wii or Wii U in some form, and if we don’t do that we will look into getting these songs into Rock Band 3 as DLC. Only time can tell.” HMX Livestream as reported by Colin Kitler

Blitz, the game, will come as a single Arcade/PSN download with a few trial songs included, and the entire trial/full infrastructure in place.

Single Player Social Gaming
Single player game is played via standard controllers ONLY (no peripheral usage) - "no co-op or competitive gaming, so the whole “Band” part of Rock Band doesn’t really apply, except in the game’s extensive leader boards and competitions. Playing against your friends’ scores seems like it will be a game in itself." - G4tv Preview

The game ties in with a facebook app called "Rock Band World" where you can collaborate, compete, and compare with your FB friends. This app also provides goals which can be completed for additional coins to be used for powerups. The app also has the following:
----Score Wars: This is a player-vs-player challenge that is suggested to you by our recommendation engine. So, for example, let's say log in to the game, and I see in my Recommendations Feed that [the engine] has suggested I challenge HMXMister_Game (Nord) to beat me at "I'm Still Standing". I decide this sounds like a good thing to do, so I accept, and that will send a challenge message over to Nord in his game's Messages screen. We each have X number of days to get the highest possible score on this song. The message in your inbox will remain and track the number off attempts Nord and I make on the song, and show who is currently winning. If you don't have XBL or PSN friends with Rock Band Blitz, the game will suggest Score Wars with other random players.
----Leader Board: Recommendations Feed will scan your library and say something to the effect of "Hey you should play this song because Pope currently has a higher score than you on it." So then you could pop into that and compete with my score on your friend’s leaderboards, without actually being in a Score War.
--- Recommendations could also say "Hey you haven't played this song yet!" which I find to be IMMENSELY helpful when you either have a really big library, or you buy DLC often. It's easy to forget you have certain songs, so the game will helpfully remind you of that.
--- The Feed will also keep you up to date on new DLC releases that might appeal to your tastes, and if you so decide that, yes, you would be interested in buying that new track, one button press will take you directly to that song's page in the Music Store. Thread

Sound
All the tracks play at regular volume. If you play well, the track you are playing is louder than the others. If you miss notes the volume of that track drops way down, and we play miss noises. – Forum Post

Songs
The game will feature (25) new songs that fully transferable Rock Band 3 - G4tv X-Play – Apr 3 [25 songs mentioned by Matthew Nordhaus in the X-Play interview]

There will be no charge to “export” the songs into Rock Band 3 - Harmonix Apr 4 press release

@mystictyphoon No Pro upgrades included in Blitz, but a strong possibility of getting upgraded later. Keep posted for more announcements! - Twitter Post

Will play DLC and Rock Band Network songs, even the ones you have already bought for Rock Band - "and is compatible with most of the current Rock Band library of over 3,500 songs..., making it one of the most robust rhythm action games to date." Including all content from the Rock Band Music Store, as well as tracks exported into Rock Band 3 from Rock Band, Rock Band 2, LEGO, and Green Day. OXMonline

However, you will not be able play the disc-based Rock Band 3 tracks in Rock Band Blitz, due to licensing at this time. This is because Blitz looks at songs saved to the hard-drive and until RB3 is exported, the songs aren’t housed there. Asked whether Harmonix was working on an update to allow import of disc tracks as an option, a representative told us, "We don't have plans at this time." – From JoyStiq – Apr 4

In order to make all [playable Rock Band] songs compatible with the completely different gameplay of Blitz, the engineers at Harmonix created an algorithm they came to know as "Blitz-ificiation." That systemic process happens on song loads, remapping the original five-note gameplay to Blitz's two notes. When asked if that approach created any complications, like tracks that weren't fun or too difficult, Nordhaus said, "Fortunately so far we've been able to fix all of those by just tweaking the algorithm. So we don't expect that there will be any manual changes to any of the songs when we ship the game." – The Verge

Fair warning now: the first Blitz load for people with lots of DLC will take a while. When Blitz first recognizes your DLC library and "Blitzifes" the songs it will take a few minutes if you're rocking a solid amount of content. Future load ups will be much quicker, but that first one may seem unusually long.

All the Blitz songs will be delivered as a separate package which can be downloaded only after the full game is purchased. After you start up the game, it will check for your downloaded content. When it's done with that, it will ask you to download the game soundtrack. Download/install this and the songs should show up. After this package is downloaded they will appear as standard RB3 format DLC on the console. – HMXMister_Game

See this thread for more song related issues with Blitz: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231400

Songs included in the Blitz song download:
Avenged Sevenfold – “So Far Away”
Barenaked Ladies – “One Week”
Blink 182 – Always
Collective Soul – “Shine”
Elton John – “I’m Still Standing”
Fall Out Boy – “A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’”
Foo Fighters – “These Days”
Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks
Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe – “We Are Young”
Great White – “Once Bitten Twice Shy”
Iron Maiden – “The Wicker Man”
Kelly Clarkson – “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)”
Kool & The Gang – “Jungle Boogie”
Living Colour – “Cult of Personality”
Maroon 5 – “Moves Like Jagger”
My Chemical Romance – “Sing”
P!nk – “Raise Your Glass”
Queen – “Death on Two Legs”
Quiet Riot – Metal Health (Bang Your Head)
Rick Springfield – Jessie’s Girl
Shinedown – “Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)”
Tears for Fears – “Shout”
The All-American Rejects – “Kids in the Street”

Also, re-release of
Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Give It Away”
Soundgarden – “Spoonman

HMXHenry says, in regards to the last two songs, “Just wanted to post a quick follow up about "Spoonman" and "Give It Away… our diligent Music Ops Team went to work. They were able to regain "Dani California" and "Black Hole Sun", 2 tracks which were also excluded from past export, and we unlocked those as part of the last RB title update. But with that option out of the picture due to the way RB2's disc data is managed, inspiration struck and these songs became part of the RB Blitz soundtrack. They always went over like gangbusters in RB2, they play incredibly well in Blitz and it's a perfect opportunity to get these songs back into the RB3 library.”

The End?
In response to rumors crediting Harmonix with saying Rock Band Blitz marks the end of the Rock Band Series a represenitive from HMX said “No, we've never said that RB Blitz will be the last RB game. [The person who said this] sounds like a Grade A chucklehead and you can tell him I said so.” – Forum Post

Comments

• edited April 2012
    So you're telling me I can't use my drums?

Edit: I so wantzzz Once Bitten, Twice Shy and Metal Health.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited April 2012
    So question to hmx: Since they have 5 tracks(I'm assuming guitar/bass/drums/keys/vocals), will songs without keys(or other parts depending on the song) parse down to 4 tracks(or less depending on what's missing)?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    bonethug0108;4695217 said:
    So question to hmx: Since they have 5 tracks(I'm assuming guitar/bass/drums/keys/vocals), will songs without keys(or other parts depending on the song) parse down to 4 tracks(or less depending on what's missing)?
    Yeah. What else would happen?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2012
    mercuryshadow09;4695118 said:
    So you're telling me I can't use my drums?

Edit: I so wantzzz Once Bitten, Twice Shy and Metal Health.

Yeah but all 25 songs on Blitz will work on RB3 where you can use your drums.
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4695221 said:
    Yeah. What else would happen?
    Well I'm figuring that's the case since I imagine they are using the separated stems in the files to produce to charts, but you never know. Maybe they'll replicate to missing tracks from another stem(double up on guitar to have a guitar and keys track)? Doubt it though.
    edited April 2012
    bonethug0108;4695236 said:
    Well I'm figuring that's the case since I imagine they are using the separated stems in the files to produce to charts, but you never know. Maybe they'll replicate to missing tracks from another stem(double up on guitar to have a guitar and keys track)? Doubt it though.
    You realize there's probably an algorithm that turns the current notes into left or right notes, yeah? It's not charting off sound.
  • edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4695239 said:
    You realize there's probably an algorithm that turns the current notes into left or right notes, yeah? It's not charting off sound.

I figured it was like audiosurf just using the stems instead of the entire song.
  • Scythemaster 37Scythemaster 37 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    If the songs export to RB3, won't they require the stems? I'm not really sure if you're implying that they will or will not require stems here.
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4695250 said:
    If the songs export to RB3, won't they require the stems? I'm not really sure if you're implying that they will or will not require stems here.
    I never said the songs wouldn't have stems. I questioned how Blitz would create charts out of the nothing-but-sound that is the background stems of songs without keys.
    edited April 2012
    Well I thought frequency and/or amplitude or one of their games created the notes based off of sound(so you could play any song).

That's why I was unsure of how they were working this and asked the question. Even still if it's based on existing charts, I wonder if they'd double up or just cut things out when missing.

And obviously no matter the method they used, yes I know it'd be impossible(for regular users) to play their own songs(things like mp3s) either way.
    edited April 2012
    So who else is hoping that 1 or more of the 20 unrevealed songs is/are Lady Gaga song(s)?

I know I'd be extremely lucky to get 1, but maybe since they're trying to appeal to new gamers and bring people in, they'll include Lady G! I really hope so.
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4695305 said:
    So who else is hoping that 1 or more of the 20 unrevealed songs is/are Lady Gaga song(s)?
    Not in the least. This is shaping up to be a LEGO setlist, just pure, concentrated, "GotDAMN, that is exactly what I want in a Rock Band setlist."
  • JimmyJett86JimmyJett86 Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    My question: Will there be any way for Wii users to recieve these songs in RB3? (its not being released on the Wii.)
    edited April 2012
    From what's revealed, they do seem to be going for a broad cross section of pretty popular songs from different genres/eras, and there would be room for gaga in there.

BUT given that gaga has a lot of songs already and all the artists announced so far are new except blink(and I think that's in there because it was in the top 10 on the request tool), I think they'll be shooting for more new artists/artists with few songs since you can use dlc.
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4695308 said:
    Not in the least. This is shaping up to be a LEGO setlist, just pure, concentrated, "GotDAMN, that is exactly what I want in a Rock Band setlist."

Well it does look that way, because I love all 5 of the announced songs, but if it has Lady Gaga, for me, it will be the best setlist.
    bonethug0108;4695314 said:

BUT given that gaga has a lot of songs already and all the artists announced so far are new except blink(and I think that's in there because it was in the top 10 on the request tool), I think they'll be shooting for more new artists/artists with few songs since you can use dlc.

I hope you're wrong.
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    This ain't my Rock Band 4.
  • edited April 2012
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4695317 said:
    I hope you're wrong.
    I know you do! =D

Personally I wouldn't care either way. She's a current top artist and if a song of her's can help this sell all the better. Personally I'd want something else(given we only have 25 songs), but there's dlc every week so I wouldn't mind. :)
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    JimmyJett86;4695311 said:
    My question: Will there be any way for Wii users to recieve these songs in RB3? (its not being released on the Wii.)

My guess would be yes. After all, we got the Rock Band: Unplugged songs for official DLC. I would guess they'll also release these 25 songs for DLC a couple, or a few, months after the game is released for those who don't/can't buy the game proper.
  • kriskokrisko Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    I REALLY want to play this game but it's not going to be available on WiiWare. Is there a possibility of RB:B getting released on the Wii U? And if so, would it be possible for Wii users to bring their current DLC over to the new console for the full experience?
    edited April 2012
    krisko;4695354 said:
    And if so, would it be possible for Wii users to bring their current DLC over to the new console for the full experience?
    As they've said, they'll cross that bridge when they come to it.
  • LandoLandoLandoLando Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I've been hoping for another FreQ/Amp type game, but I'm a little sad that there doesn't appear to be any avatar creation. I liked creating little avis in FreQ.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Watching for "Who Can it Be Now", "Glycerine" and "My Immortal". I am wondering if the set list is exclusive to the game( I'm assuming it is) or will be offered as DLC. I'm also wondering if there will be any pro tracks ( I believe it's possible even if the songs are exclusive, but not likely).
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4695305 said:

I know I'd be extremely lucky to get 1, but maybe since they're trying to appeal to new gamers and bring people in, they'll include Lady G! I really hope so.

I think considering the crowd I believe that HMX is targeting this game for, that Lady Gaga is entirely possible.
    edited April 2012
    lvmathemagician;4695435 said:
    I think considering the crowd I believe that HMX is targeting this game for, that Lady Gaga is entirely possible.

You make me happy
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited April 2012
    Sayburr;4695097 said:

Single player game is played via standard controllers ONLY (no peripheral usage).

First songs announced:
    Blink 182 – Always
    Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks
    Great White – Once Bitten, Twice Shy
    Quiet Riot – Metal Health
    Rick Springfield – Jessie’s Girl

1 copy of the game sold already (to me). I've wanted this song in Rock Band for a long time.

Gotta admit, I watched that reveal trailer hoping there would be a snippet of a Muse song played. I think it's pretty cool that we'll be getting 25 new songs to play in Rock Band 3 through a medium that isn't (technically) DLC or a disc release.
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4695441 said:
    You make me happy

Remember, I only only said possible and I know as little about this as you do.
    edited April 2012
    lvmathemagician;4695450 said:
    Remember, I only only said possible and I know as little about this as you do.

I keep my false expectations high 24/7
  • edited April 2012
    I feel like maybe we'll be getting lots of those "hey why wasn't that in 'X' three-pack?" songs, like Hip to Be Square, Who Can it Be Now?, and You Make My Dreams Come True. I'd pay fifteen for those three songs alone.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    I think pop artists like Lady Gaga would be more likely to show up in something like this than a plastic guitar-based disc. Repetitive synth lines and drum machine beats would be more interesting switching back and forth between the parts, and playing keyboard parts on "guitar" isn't as jarring when you're just pressing buttons on a regular controller. "Poker Face" and "Just Dance" may have been boring in Rock Band 1/2/3 (aside from vocals), but I look forward to playing them in Blitz.
    AndreasBoPetersen;4695459 said:
    I feel like maybe we'll be getting lots of those "hey why wasn't that in 'X' three-pack?" songs, like Hip to Be Square, Who Can it Be Now?, and You Make My Dreams Come True. I'd pay fifteen for those three songs alone.
    And "Time of the Season", "Party in the USA", "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"...