Rock Band Blitz – Rumors and Facts

Comments

• TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Pankrazzo;4696007 said:
    One difficulty level? My god this will be terrible.

Audiosurf have 1 difficulty level, and many ways to play. I think this one is sort of the same.
    Lowlander2;4696010 said:
    DToid interview

You get to see a snippet of how legacy DLC transfers, in this case "Bang Camaro" by Bang Camaro. Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly alternating between two buttons.

Notice how my interest wanes.

Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly clicking between 5 buttons.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    Just added this: in a interview with OXM Matthew Nordhaus mentions the exports for LEGO and Green Day are playable in Blitz - OXMonline
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Pankrazzo;4696007 said:
    One difficulty level? My god this will be terrible.

How many difficulty levels do you really need in a game where there are two notes to hit on each track? Like FujiSkunk said, slower songs are going to be the ones that are naturally easy to play and faster/more technical songs will be difficult.
    Lowlander2;4696010 said:
    Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly alternating between two buttons.
    Isn't that to be expected? I'd be worried if it was reduced to a sustain note or a slow series of repeating notes. This seems perfectly in line with how the gameplay and "Blitzification" algorithm is supposed to work.
  • edited April 2012
    Audiosurf has 3 difficulties.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4696021 said:
    Audiosurf has 3 difficulties.

The speed of the song is the same anyway, it only changes the ways the game is played, with more colors or combinations.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    TheDescent;4696018 said:
    Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly clicking between 5 buttons.
    No, no, you have varying patterns, not just flicking from one to the other as if every solo was a trill.
    Ralphy2009;4696020 said:
    Isn't that to be expected? I'd be worried if it was reduced to a sustain note or a slow series of repeating notes. This seems perfectly in line with how the gameplay and "Blitzification" algorithm is supposed to work.
    I'm not complaining that it's too hard; it's the other way around.

See, this could have been solved if they had added just one more button. It's not like it would have blown peoples' minds with its complexity. Come now.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696029 said:
    I'm not complaining that it's too hard; it's the other way around.

But that's why there is other things going on such as the need to keep an eye on each lane multiplier, the pinball bit and all the powerup bonus bits that are on certain lanes.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696029 said:
    See, this could have been solved if they had added just one more button. It's not like it would have blown peoples' minds with its complexity. Come now.

Apparently they decided it would, and most likely they have some playtesting or other research to back that up. Do you think these games are created in a vacuum?

And like Blasteroids said, you're doing more than just focusing on one instrument track in this game.
    edited April 2012
    Blasteroids;4696042 said:
    But that's why there is other things going on such as the need to keep an eye on each lane multiplier, the pinball bit and all the powerup bonus bits that are on certain lanes.

1) Yeah, that lane multiplier thing was done in the DS RBs and Unplugged; with four inputs and it worked fine, might I add.
    2) How much pain are powerups going to alleviate?

Again, how much could have been solved with just one more button.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    I would have preferred something Kinect related but I hope this game does well. All five of the songs named so far are must-haves for me and are more exciting than the actual game.
    edited April 2012
    FujiSkunk;4696047 said:
    Apparently they decided it would, and most likely they have some playtesting or other research to back that up. Do you think these games are created in a vacuum?

And like Blasteroids said, you're doing more than just focusing on one instrument track in this game.
    The handheld games disprove all of that. They had four inputs; they worked fine. They had multiple tracks to go with this four-button layout; they worked fine. They didn't have power-ups or the greater emphasis on combos like this one looks to have, but it still had a hefty instrument shifting mechanic; this worked fine.

What happened? The controllers? They're better built for it than the DS Lite ever was.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Which game company do you work for? And how come you're posting here instead of designing your own game?
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696048 said:

Again, how much could have been solved with just one more button.

I think this game will do just fine with out the third button, considering it will have five lanes maximum. Don't try and pass judgement on a company's actions until the actual product is out. Imagine trying to play TTFAF or another higher difficulty song. I'm sure those two button per lane [ 5(2)=10. ] will keep you busy. Especially if you're going for one of those 'crazy powerups' or whatever.
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696053 said:
    What happened?

You said yourself this game has some different features than the earlier games, including power-ups. Again, Harmonix may have determined the extra features made for a better game ioverall, but also necessitated some slimming down of the instrument tracks to make the game more fun and easier to learn, at least for the typical player they are hoping to bring in.
    edited April 2012
    KooleKyle;4696060 said:
    I think this game will do just fine with out the third button, considering it will have five lanes maximum. Don't try and pass judgement on a companies actions until the actual product is out.
    But the product is more or less out. Harmonix have put it out five times already. The addition of powerups will extend its appeal and gameplay, but it's gonna have be damn good to cover what the game considers a tricky solo now.

Oh yeah, remember how you guys keep saying how the simplicity of one track is compensated by having lots of different ones? Well, this video shows that "solo restriction" is still in effect. That is, when a solo is playing, you have to play just that track. Considering solo events are where most of the magic happens, what happens when there's no magic to be found?

And I know, "solos aren't all that common", but come on, they happen more often than you think, and they're where all the difficulty is, or isn't in this case.
    FujiSkunk;4696063 said:
    You said yourself this game has some different features than the earlier games, including power-ups. Again, Harmonix may have determined the extra features made for a better game ioverall, but also necessitated some slimming down of the instrument tracks to make the game more fun and easier to learn, at least for the typical player they are hoping to bring in.
    That's what extra difficulties should be for: to seperate and cater for different audiences.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    This article has an interesting insight: Most people ditched their instruments long ago, but still have DLC on their machine, sitting around doing nothing. This game allows them to resurrect it all, at a very low price point.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222273p1.html

Another thing this article makes clear something that everyone else has known for a long time, but the people here in the echo-chamber just won't acknowledge: there is no WAY we are ever going to get a Rock Band 4. The genre isn't just down from it's heyday, it is permanently DEAD. I don't even know who to get mad at. Certainly not Harmonix ... they are geniuses for keeping this revenue stream going for as long as possible. But they know it would be crazy to ever make another major investment in the genre. I guess I am left to blame "myself", for being stupid enough to fully adopt all of the fun things that have only a limited shelf life in the real world.

I'm going to go home, break out my DDR pads, and play until the endorphins kick in. Though I think I'll have to move aside my boxes of eTopps [R.I.P.] cards to get at them, which will just make me even more sad.
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696067 said:
    Considering solo events are where most of the magic happens, what happens when there's no magic to be found?

What happens? Everybody deletes the game, of course. Then every game magazine calls it the worst ever. Harmonix goes bankrupt. Activision announces 20 new GH sequels. Power Gig is revived and christined Game of the Year. And GNF gets elected president.

Seriously, what do you want to hear? I understand you feel you have legitimate concerns about the game play, but could you please state your concerns and opinions in a way that doesn't imply you know everything there is to know about a game that isn't even out yet?

Or, as Henry said before, "Say something positive. I dare you."
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696067 said:

Oh yeah, remember how you guys keep saying how the simplicity of one track is compensated by having lots of different ones? Well, this video shows that "solo restriction" is still in effect. That is, when a solo is playing, you have to play just that track. Considering solo events are where most of the magic happens, what happens when there's no magic to be found?
    In all honesty, that solo didn't look too unfun at all. I'd imagine once you're immersed in the actual game and trying enjoy it, it'd be still pretty fun, Two buttons and all.
    -shrug
  • edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696067 said:
    Bla bla bla this video bla bla bla

Holy crap. This game looks really fun! I cant wait for it!
    edited April 2012
    FujiSkunk;4696076 said:
    I understand you feel you have legitimate concerns about the game play, but could you please state your concerns and opinions in a way that doesn't imply you know everything there is to know about a game that isn't even out yet?

But the baseline button-pushing part of the game is already out. Which means that the big difference, and perhaps the only ones given the instrument switching system being involved in the series prior, are the powerups and perhaps an overhaul of instrument switch combos as we know them.

Colour me sceptical these will be enough to make it a compelling experience for me. I think the livestream will give me the answer.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4696070 said:
    Another thing this article makes clear something that everyone else has known for a long time, but the people here in the echo-chamber just won't acknowledge: there is no WAY we are ever going to get a Rock Band 4. The genre isn't just down from it's heyday, it is permanently DEAD.
    I saw nothing in the article that said there will never be a Rock Band 4. How is the genre "permanantly DEAD" when Rock Band 3 continues to get more DLC every single week?

Maybe what works on the DS's + Control Pad doesn't work on the Xbox 360's D-pad. Maybe Harmonix tested out many different designs to see what would work.
  • nunchuck charlienunchuck charlie Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    kiggidykev;4695970 said:
    Was "Once Bitten" confirmed to be part of Blitz, or perhaps it could be a piece of upcoming DLC? The Blitz page has the four other songs confirmed, but not that one.
    It's not on this: http://open.spotify.com/user/nickchester/playlist/5ryTe2sKvX5gMgmdwFeTNR
    So I'm guessing it could be DLC, possibly next week's...
    edited April 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4696090 said:
    Maybe what works on the DS's + Control Pad doesn't work on the Xbox 360's D-pad. Maybe Harmonix tested out many different designs to see what would work.
    It's my humble opinion that, yes, while the 360's D-Pad is not exactly top of the range, meaning 4 input would be a bit impractical, perhaps, as afar as I know, the PS2 titles used 3 of the 4 face buttons for their inputs.

That would have been fine.
  • CroqCroq Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Magnet;4695887 said:
    The press release specifically calls out RB1/2 exports as compatible:
    Ah, sorry, missed that. My bad. Very happy about that!
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696108 said:
    It's my humble opinion that, yes, while the 360's D-Pad is not exactly top of the range, meaning 4 input would be a bit impractical, perhaps, as afar as I know, the PS2 titles used 3 of the 4 face buttons for their inputs.
    According to the first post in the thread:
    "There were two reasons we settled on two [lanes for each instrument]: one was that the modern controller is better suited to two [lanes] instead of three [like the gameplay of] Frequency and Amplitude"

In the same article, "We went through a lot of prototyping, many different ways of beat matching with a controller," Nordhaus said. "That included three gems; that included some ideas of shifting the stick back and forth while you smashed gems, almost copying what you do with a guitar controller on the joypad controller."

I'm skeptical of how long they can keep the gameplay interesting, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I play the damn thing for myself.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696067 said:
    Well, this video shows that "solo restriction" is still in effect. That is, when a solo is playing, you have to play just that track.

I don't know about Blitz since a lot of the details haven't been revealed yet, but with Unplugged you could just turn the Solo thing off if you wanted.
    Meat-Popsicle;4696070 said:
    The genre isn't just down from it's heyday, it is permanently DEAD.

IGN has been shouting that for a while now as part of their narrative. The genre had a huge boom followed by a decline away from the insane numbers at their peak. That explosion was not going to last forever. The easiest evidence that the genre is not dead are the DLC sales. People are still interested enough to buy new music to play on their plastic instruments, which clearly wouldn't be happening if the genre was "permanently dead."
    edited April 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4696119 said:
    According to the first post in the thread:
    "There were two reasons we settled on two [lanes for each instrument]: one was that the modern controller is better suited to two [lanes] instead of three [like the gameplay of] Frequency and Amplitude"
    ...why?

Seriously, why? What is it about the layout that restricts playability so? I've played a lot of games on this console; I know my way around this controller and I can't imagine how they came to this conclusion.

That might sound a bit curt and obtuse to you, but I'm having trouble understanding the thought process that went behind this design decision. Things happen for a reason and I don't really see one here.

This isn't just about difficulty, either. With only two buttons to play each track with, the amount of variations and playstyles you can use is significantly diminished, which will no doubt put a damper on the "you can play almost any track in your RB library" drawcard.

The powerups and "new" combo system could make for something wholly engrossing, but it's going to have to be quite a step up. From the looks of things, instrument switching is faster than ever, but how much will that cover?

Disagree with me if you want, but I am very worried. With five similar games under HMX's belt that worked just fine, why wouldn't I be?
    Magnet;4696125 said:
    I don't know about Blitz since a lot of the details haven't been revealed yet, but with Unplugged you could just turn the Solo thing off if you wanted.

I imagine that would be in the game, as well as the similar "only one instrument" option.
  • edited April 2012
    Are there anymore full song playthough videos like the one LowLander posted? Id love to see a song that is more then just one long guitar solo.
    edited April 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4696129 said:
    Are there anymore full song playthough videos like the one LowLander posted? Id love to see a song that is more then just one long guitar solo.
    You're being impatient again.

Livestream. Also please don't capitalise the second L like that. I love you forever.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4696090 said:
    I saw nothing in the article that said there will never be a Rock Band 4.
    Read between the lines: the genre is OVER and it will never again be profitable to pump millions of dollars into a full-scale Rock Band game. The only people who expect there to be RB4 (or even RB3.5) are those that desperately hope that it will happen, a few thousand passionate niche gamers. The rest of the gaming world doesn't even ask the question, because the answer is so clearly, "of course not!". Look at the front page! Already the forthcoming XBLA title "Rock Band: Blitz" has taken over the design of the site. That's the future of Rock Band, the keystone of the franchise: a downloadable mini-game.

"Cut to the present, and plastic peripherals are staples in garage sales and thrift stores, as many have completely abandoned the genre as a whole. "

That's what 99% of gamers have done, "abandoned the genre". Yes, we still have RB3, and weekly DLC, probably for at least 6 more months, so no, it's not "dead". We can still play the game, and it's still a lot of fun. But a new title, or even a title update, where dozens of programmer put together new band tours / goals / avatar designs / battles / etc? Never again. Live in denial if you must, but I'm going to prepare myself now for the inevitable: even the DLC will end, at some point, maybe by about this time next year? Oh, but it's still profitable, you say with desperate hope in your voice! That's exactly what all the fans thought about eTopps cards, but one day a few months ago we logged in and there was a notice that weekly sales (which had gone on regularly for 12 years) were never happening again, effective immediately.

Yeah, I'll be back having fun with the Rock Band that we still have, and give up being upset about the even better Rock Band we all hoped would someday come to be, once I finish going through the 7 stages of grief. Apparently I'm somewhere between 3 and 4.