Rock Band Blitz – Rumors and Facts

Comments

• MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Croq;4695871 said:
    Still unclear is whether RB1 or RB2 exports will work.
    The press release specifically calls out RB1/2 exports as compatible:
    HMXPope;4695800 said:
    Rock Band Blitz is also compatible with most of your existing Rock Band music library, including all content from the Rock Band Music Store, as well as tracks exported from Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and more.
  • powerofyates2powerofyates2 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Sayburr;4695097 said:

The game will feature over 20 (rumor 25) new songs that fully transferable Rock Band 3 -

How is this only a rumor? The G4 interview said 25.

Also, it's funny to me that I haven't read one comment wondering about a Rock Band 3 export. No one even cares.

ETA: oops people have just asked
    firedoom666;4695856 said:
    according to this Rock Band 3 on-disc songs wont import to Rock BAnd Blitz and Harmonix has no plans to export RB3 yet

Also also, I wonder if this could land them in hot water with some of the music rights holders. They're calling it part of the Rock Band platform, but it is totally different gameplay. I could see some of music people getting upset that they're property is now being used in a game they didn't approve or get extra upfront money for.
  • EspioxEspiox Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if they could get the digital version of RB3 working in Blitz at some point. If RB3 can read files from Blitz, perhaps there's a way they can go the opposite way.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    Hmm....is that a new forums background to come with the occasion I spy?
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    powerofyates2;4695893 said:

Also also, I wonder if this could land them in hot water with some of the music rights holders. They're calling it part of the Rock Band platform, but it is totally different gameplay. I could see some of music people getting upset that they're property is now being used in a game they didn't approve or get extra upfront money for.

We haven't seen the contracts, obviously, but it looks similar enough to RB, e.g. rhythm game with scrolling notes, that I don't see it being an issue. If anything, it's just a subset of RB with all the old GH screaming fluff and pinball bells added back in.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    Blasteroids;4695850 said:
    What do you mean rumor? Matthew Nordhaus from HMX specifically says 25 songs in the XPlay interview. He also goes on to say that "the songs are instantly playable in RB3", so this means no export fee.. right?
    Updated to include 25 songs... also, the press release says no export fee... so I have added that also. thanks.
    according to this Rock Band 3 on-disc songs wont import to Rock BAnd Blitz and Harmonix has no plans to export RB3 yet

Added this to the OP, thanks.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited April 2012
    Was "Once Bitten" confirmed to be part of Blitz, or perhaps it could be a piece of upcoming DLC? The Blitz page has the four other songs confirmed, but not that one.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 2012

Cipher would be disappointed as he can't play Misery Business in RBB.
    edited April 2012
    Adding the following from OXM

“Each of the lanes on Blitz’s track represents an instrument (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, keyboards), while within each lane, you have two sub-lanes that let you play different notes on that instrument. Several control schemes are available, but in the one we used for our hands-on demo, LT and RT move you between the five lanes, while the D-pad and the A button shift you between an instrument’s two sub-lanes.” – OXMonline

The game has a single difficulty level – “game’s lone difficulty level” - OXMonline

The gameplay reminded us of the shreddiest game ever, Guitar Hero III — at times, you get the same videogamey sense of spamming notes rather than playing them — except much more fluid and fun. - OXMonline
    edited April 2012
    ... adding the following to the first post:

"There were two reasons we settled on two [lanes for each instrument]: one was that the modern controller is better suited to two [lanes] instead of three [like the gameplay of] Frequency and Amplitude. But I think a more fundamental reason is that the choice was to let you focus a measure or two down the track as you play through and let you strategize about what your'e doing to do. And we found that if we took a little mental load off the beat matching and made it just a little bit easier to comprehend; you had the mental space to think about the strategy of what you're going to do to maximize your score." – The Verge

In order to make all [playable Rock Band] songs compatible with the completely different gameplay of Blitz, the engineers at Harmonix created an algorithm they came to know as "Blitz-ificiation." That systemic process happens on song loads, remapping the original five-note gameplay to Blitz's two notes. When asked if that approach created any complications, like tracks that weren't fun or too difficult, Nordhaus said, "Fortunately so far we've been able to fix all of those by just tweaking the algorithm. So we don't expect that there will be any manual changes to any of the songs when we ship the game." – The Verge
    edited April 2012
    kiggidykev;4695970 said:
    Was "Once Bitten" confirmed to be part of Blitz, or perhaps it could be a piece of upcoming DLC? The Blitz page has the four other songs confirmed, but not that one.
    It is in the menu, as seen in this video: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58009/harmonix-announces-rock-band-blitz/ @ 2:25 mark... heck, it might be upcoming DLC... I will mark it as a rumor...
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    One difficulty level? My god this will be terrible.
    edited April 2012
    DToid interview

You get to see a snippet of how legacy DLC transfers, in this case "Bang Camaro" by Bang Camaro. Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly alternating between two buttons.

Notice how my interest wanes.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Pankrazzo;4696007 said:

The songs themselves will provide different levels of difficulty. Remember those six tiers?
  • LensnartLensnart Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    I have no interest in the actual game at all, but it has Pumped Up Kicks so i will buy it just as an RB3 track pack.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Pankrazzo;4696007 said:

Audiosurf have 1 difficulty level, and many ways to play. I think this one is sort of the same.
    Lowlander2;4696010 said:
    DToid interview

You get to see a snippet of how legacy DLC transfers, in this case "Bang Camaro" by Bang Camaro. Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly alternating between two buttons.

Notice how my interest wanes.

Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly clicking between 5 buttons.
    edited April 2012
    Just added this: in a interview with OXM Matthew Nordhaus mentions the exports for LEGO and Green Day are playable in Blitz - OXMonline
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Pankrazzo;4696007 said:

How many difficulty levels do you really need in a game where there are two notes to hit on each track? Like FujiSkunk said, slower songs are going to be the ones that are naturally easy to play and faster/more technical songs will be difficult.
    Lowlander2;4696010 said:
    Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly alternating between two buttons.
    Isn't that to be expected? I'd be worried if it was reduced to a sustain note or a slow series of repeating notes. This seems perfectly in line with how the gameplay and "Blitzification" algorithm is supposed to work.
  • edited April 2012
    Audiosurf has 3 difficulties.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4696021 said:
    Audiosurf has 3 difficulties.

The speed of the song is the same anyway, it only changes the ways the game is played, with more colors or combinations.
    edited April 2012
    TheDescent;4696018 said:
    Notice how a complex guitar solo is reduced to rapidly clicking between 5 buttons.
    No, no, you have varying patterns, not just flicking from one to the other as if every solo was a trill.
    Ralphy2009;4696020 said:
    Isn't that to be expected? I'd be worried if it was reduced to a sustain note or a slow series of repeating notes. This seems perfectly in line with how the gameplay and "Blitzification" algorithm is supposed to work.
    I'm not complaining that it's too hard; it's the other way around.

See, this could have been solved if they had added just one more button. It's not like it would have blown peoples' minds with its complexity. Come now.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696029 said:
    I'm not complaining that it's too hard; it's the other way around.

But that's why there is other things going on such as the need to keep an eye on each lane multiplier, the pinball bit and all the powerup bonus bits that are on certain lanes.
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696029 said:
    See, this could have been solved if they had added just one more button. It's not like it would have blown peoples' minds with its complexity. Come now.

Apparently they decided it would, and most likely they have some playtesting or other research to back that up. Do you think these games are created in a vacuum?

And like Blasteroids said, you're doing more than just focusing on one instrument track in this game.
    edited April 2012
    Blasteroids;4696042 said:
    But that's why there is other things going on such as the need to keep an eye on each lane multiplier, the pinball bit and all the powerup bonus bits that are on certain lanes.

1) Yeah, that lane multiplier thing was done in the DS RBs and Unplugged; with four inputs and it worked fine, might I add.
    2) How much pain are powerups going to alleviate?

Again, how much could have been solved with just one more button.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    I would have preferred something Kinect related but I hope this game does well. All five of the songs named so far are must-haves for me and are more exciting than the actual game.
    edited April 2012
    FujiSkunk;4696047 said:
    Apparently they decided it would, and most likely they have some playtesting or other research to back that up. Do you think these games are created in a vacuum?

And like Blasteroids said, you're doing more than just focusing on one instrument track in this game.
    The handheld games disprove all of that. They had four inputs; they worked fine. They had multiple tracks to go with this four-button layout; they worked fine. They didn't have power-ups or the greater emphasis on combos like this one looks to have, but it still had a hefty instrument shifting mechanic; this worked fine.

What happened? The controllers? They're better built for it than the DS Lite ever was.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Which game company do you work for? And how come you're posting here instead of designing your own game?
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696048 said:

Again, how much could have been solved with just one more button.

I think this game will do just fine with out the third button, considering it will have five lanes maximum. Don't try and pass judgement on a company's actions until the actual product is out. Imagine trying to play TTFAF or another higher difficulty song. I'm sure those two button per lane [ 5(2)=10. ] will keep you busy. Especially if you're going for one of those 'crazy powerups' or whatever.
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4696053 said:
    What happened?

You said yourself this game has some different features than the earlier games, including power-ups. Again, Harmonix may have determined the extra features made for a better game ioverall, but also necessitated some slimming down of the instrument tracks to make the game more fun and easier to learn, at least for the typical player they are hoping to bring in.
    edited April 2012
    KooleKyle;4696060 said:
    I think this game will do just fine with out the third button, considering it will have five lanes maximum. Don't try and pass judgement on a companies actions until the actual product is out.
    But the product is more or less out. Harmonix have put it out five times already. The addition of powerups will extend its appeal and gameplay, but it's gonna have be damn good to cover what the game considers a tricky solo now.

Oh yeah, remember how you guys keep saying how the simplicity of one track is compensated by having lots of different ones? Well, this video shows that "solo restriction" is still in effect. That is, when a solo is playing, you have to play just that track. Considering solo events are where most of the magic happens, what happens when there's no magic to be found?

And I know, "solos aren't all that common", but come on, they happen more often than you think, and they're where all the difficulty is, or isn't in this case.
    FujiSkunk;4696063 said:
    You said yourself this game has some different features than the earlier games, including power-ups. Again, Harmonix may have determined the extra features made for a better game ioverall, but also necessitated some slimming down of the instrument tracks to make the game more fun and easier to learn, at least for the typical player they are hoping to bring in.
    That's what extra difficulties should be for: to seperate and cater for different audiences.