Bring Rock Band Blitz to PC!

MashleyMashley Opening Act
edited May 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Harmonix is missing out on a huge opportunity by not releasing their upcoming game on PC. The PC market has been booming in recent years due to digital distribution services like Steam, but there's a severe lack of good commercial rhythm action games. It's understandable that previous games in the Rock Band franchise have been console exclusive due to the need for special controllers but for this one there's no reason not to port it to PC; Blitz would play fine with a keyboard or a USB controller. There's definitely a huge gap in the market and it's silly for Harmonix not to fill it.
Plus I want to play it too. :P

Comments

• MashleyMashley Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    DLC would sell, just integrate it with steam and bingo. Maybe a little discount would help to get the DLC purchasers flowing, idk, but the market is definitely there. The gap is there for a leading PC rhythm title and with RBB Harmonix is in a good position to fill it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2012
    Record labels would NEVER go for it.

Why do you think there hasn't been any RB games on PC so far?
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2012
    topdrawer;4695858 said:
    but that's just silly since the console stems are already being pirated. what difference does it make on PC?

PC games have a reputation for being much more easily cracked and pirated than console games. Whether that reputation is deserved is debatable, but it's not a debate the music labels feel like investing in.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4696041 said:

This.

Also: There's no storefront for the Rock Band catalog on PC (for reasons already given above), and that also means that there's an additional investment that would be required to set something like that up even if record labels COULD be convinced that piracy would not take over (which they won't be).
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited April 2012
    It's unfortunate that it's not going to come out on PC. If it did, maybe I could convince Nucleose to buy it...
  • QuigbyQuigby Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Well sooner or later RB will be on PCs. There seems to be about one more generation left in the console game, then it's PC driven home entertainment.
  • trojannemotrojannemo Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    while I like the idea of PC games, I actually find that music games are better suited to consoles.

If you want to play Rock Band on a PC, go and get Phase Shift, does everything Rock Band 3 does (including pro-drums (plus hi-hat control), pro-keys (soon with 2 hands) and pro-guitar) and has a much larger song base due to the many many many many many countless songs released by individual people rather than a centralized company.

yes, Rock Band 3 has 3d animated backgrounds, which Phase Shift doesn't have. and Rock Band songs have separate audio stems. I don't personally play PhaseShift, but it is there as an option.

I prefer RB on console because for me RB is a multiplayer party game. I take my xbox (and yes, all of my equipment) to different places often to host parties. I barely ever play alone. so while at home my PC is also connected to my LED tv where I play rock band, I couldn't take my PC with me everywhere I go!

so even though I've gone over this argument before, I think Harmonix chose the correct way of just staying with consoles.

when it comes to the piracy discussion...I think both the software companies and the music companies know that everything has been pirated and everything will be pirated. all of Rock Band games and all of the Guitar Hero games have been cracked, pirated, extracted, distributed illegally....across all consoles. it's an unavoidable part of life. whenever there are creators, there are pirates. yet companies make profit. so I really hope that is not THE reason for the lack of PC versions.
    edited April 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4696041 said:

Because the entire concept with the plastic instruments and the party game atmosphere does not work on PC. PC gamers typically play close to their monitor rather than back on a couch or something, and are simply not willing to buy the extra stuff needed. The core concept of traditional Rock Band just doesn't work or sell well on PC. But Rock Band Blitz would.
    And why do people think they know exactly what record label's opinion of DLC and such is? That's just pure guesswork.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2012
    I might know a thing or two what record labels think about DLC seeing as how I deal with them on almost daily basis.
    edited April 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4696468 said:
    I might know a thing or two what record labels think about DLC seeing as how I deal with them on almost daily basis.

Then you have more insight, but why would record labels care about the platform? These companies already have a working relationship with Harmonix or their music would not be available in Rock Band. Why would they cut them out simply because they want to sell their products on a different platform? If it's piracy, well that doesn't stop them from selling CDs or MP3s. Until everything is cloud based (which is a long way off) all digital content is going to get cracked. It's inevitable.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Mashley;4696474 said:
    Then you have more insight, but why would record labels care about the platform? These companies already have a working relationship with Harmonix or their music would not be available in Rock Band. Why would they cut them out simply because they want to sell their products on a different platform? If it's piracy, well that doesn't stop them from selling CDs or MP3s. Until everything is cloud based (which is a long way off) all digital content is going to get cracked. It's inevitable.

Although I'm sure some people out there have found ways to crack and steal the DLC content from consoles, I've not personally heard of it happening.

Cracking anything and everything in the "wild west" that is the PC environment? Let's just say I wish had a nickle for every time I've heard someone brag about stealing software, music and movies on their PC.

Equate it to this line from Jaws:

"Someone yells 'barracuda' and everyone looks around, 'what, huh?'. Shout out 'shark' and you have a full on panic on your hands".

Regardless of any reality, the perception is that releasing DLC content on PC is far more dangerous than on a console. Frankly, I share that perception.
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Mashley;4696474 said:

well one of the main things Ive seen mentioned a few times, is that in the rock band tracks are the MASTER Tracks, something that is not available unless you go directly to the producer......... so if those were easy o pirate then every record company would be upset and no longer support rock band at all. the CD's and digital music (like iTunes) are all copy's none are the original master tracks.
  • trojannemotrojannemo Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    but once again, I would hope the record companies aren't doing the no-see, no-hear, no-speak monkey thing and pretending like the DLC hasn't been cracked. most software gets cracked within hours of being released, sometimes before it's official released. Rock Band has been out for what, 4+ years now?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    trojannemo;4696850 said:
    but once again, I would hope the record companies aren't doing the no-see, no-hear, no-speak monkey thing and pretending like the DLC hasn't been cracked. most software gets cracked within hours of being released, sometimes before it's official released. Rock Band has been out for what, 4+ years now?
    A lot of times, they are. The ignorance of those out of the loop can be staggering. I doubt Harmonix is running around telling them it's possible to do, so who do you think IS telling them? They're not researching it themselves, they have better things to do.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited April 2012
    trojannemo;4696850 said:
    Just because something happens on another platform doesn't mean the record companies are going to just cave and allow their product on a platform where it's even easier to pirate.

"Cars in this parking lot have been broken into every day for the past year. I'm sure it's perfectly safe to park my car here today".

Yeah, no.
  • juninho_fariasjuninho_farias Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I love playin' Rock Band in my PS2, but I don't have a PS3 or 360; I play in PC. Why'd love to see Rock Band Blitz there, maybe in Steam. I'm sure it will be a success. And it would be better if the game suports the plastic guitar or any joypad (my Rock Band's guitar for PS2/PS3 works in PC as a common joypad). Well, I hope Harmonix read it and think about it. Greetings from Brazil.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Very unlikely, sorry to say. See... the thread your thread just got merged with, which is to say, this thread.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    juninho_farias;4697692 said:
    I love playin' Rock Band in my PS2, but I don't have a PS3 or 360; I play in PC. Why'd love to see Rock Band Blitz there, maybe in Steam. I'm sure it will be a success.

Sure, if you measure success by the number of people who would download it without paying for it.
    edited April 2012
    Numskull;4698716 said:
    Sure, if you measure success by the number of people who would download it without paying for it.
    Don't be ridiculous. Jesus, where have you console gamers got these ideas from? PC gaming is huge, piracy is a tiny minority. Piracy is a way bigger issue to the film and music industries than it is to PC gaming and last time I checked that didn't stop films and music being made.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited April 2012
    Mashley;4698797 said:
    Piracy is a way bigger issue to... music industries...
    And that's why it seems to be reasonable to not expect Rock Band: Blitz to come to PC. Just combining music piracy with gaming piracy doesn't seem very attractive, to be honest.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Even if they could work out a way to get the massive DLC catalog, it's going to be hard to sell songs that could only be played in Rock Band Blitz for the same $2 as the same songs that can also be played in Rock Band 3 for guitar, bass, drums, vocals, harmonies, keys, and pro keys.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Mashley;4698797 said:
    Don't be ridiculous. Jesus, where have you console gamers got these ideas from?

The same store you get your ideas, but in the "sane" aisle.

Putting aside the issue of piracy, you do realize that there would be no DLC available for a PC version of Rock Band Blitz, right? No, of course you don't. That would have required you to actually, y'know, think about it. Never mind. Silly quesion.
  • TallahasseeTallahassee Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I just registered to these forums to be able to post in this thread saying that I would love to see Blitz coming out for PC (preferably using Steamworks).

I own Rock Band Unplugged for my PSP and I think it`s one of the best games ever made, so I`m very happy to see something similar is being released soon.
  • juanisimochivajuanisimochiva Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Talkin about psp
    R They gonna release RBB for the PlayStation Vita?????
    edited April 2012
    juanisimochiva;4705930 said:
    Talkin about psp
    R They gonna release RBB for the PlayStation Vita?????
    No.
    edited April 2012
    Is RBB goin to be avaiable for download at the PlayStation Network???
    edited April 2012
    which is goin to be the prize of it???
    hope is under 50 bucks lol
    edited April 2012
    edited April 2012
    juanisimochiva;4706404 said:
    Is RBB goin to be avaiable for download at the PlayStation Network???
    Maybe go read the announcement.
  • edited April 2012
    juanisimochiva;4706407 said:

It will be $20 or less.